Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#27361 - 07/22/09 07:46 AM Iran: Teenage girl hanged
Meq Offline
Banned

Wikipedia article
BBC News article

Yet another victim of cultural and religious barbarism in the Middle East, and also a story of corruption in the Iranian justice system, which is based on Islamic Sharia law.

16-year-old Atefeh Rajabi Sahaaleh was hanged for "crimes against chastity" after being raped by a 51-year-old married man, Ali Darabi. He got off with 95 lashes.

You've gotta love Sharia law. And now Sharia courts are gaining power in the West.

#27362 - 07/22/09 09:35 AM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: Meq]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I'm surprised that there haven't been riots in the streets when this documentary was released in the UK. Muslims like to get bent out of shape over the most trivial of things, especially when Western media depicts Islam to be (rightly so) unjust and extremely violent.

#27364 - 07/22/09 11:44 AM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: Meq]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Killed for being raped? That is just nauseating. There isn't really much more I can say. Fuck Iran.

#27371 - 07/22/09 04:38 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
I'm sorry, I have not had a chance to watch the video, but "honor" killings are quite common in the world. Although it is, in my opinion, pointless, wasteful, and repulsive, it is also what you can expect from a majority who believes a man flew away on a horse. Women having their genetalia sewn up with only a small hole to allow for vaginal bleeding and what not, with the god-glorifying results of both child and mother dying from such effects. Allow me to introduce god? It might seem undesirable, but it's not a surprise in the least. It's what you can expect.

#27375 - 07/22/09 08:09 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Meq Offline
Banned

The judge in this case was quite a piece of work. The girl was suffering from mental illness and pissed him off in court, even removing her veil and throwing her shoe at him.

He was happy to misrepresent her age as 22 and rush her execution through the courts, even applying the noose himself and telling her just before she died that "this is for your sharp tongue". Worst of all, her family were not notified until after the event.

IMO, at least one good thing which can come of this is that it doesn't reflect well on Allah.

#27377 - 07/22/09 08:41 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: Meq]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I am beginning to hold the opinion that perhaps we should just bomb the entire middle east, pave over it and turn it into a giant parking lot and gas station.

#27378 - 07/22/09 08:52 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
I am beginning to hold the opinion that perhaps we should just bomb the entire middle east, pave over it and turn it into a giant parking lot and gas station.

LOL, at least gas (or petrol) would be cheaper there than in the UK!

Isn't that a large portion of what the US's war in the Middle East is/was about? Blood for oil under the pretense of spreading democracy?

#27382 - 07/22/09 10:18 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: Meq]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yeah it is widely believed that the US occupation of the middle east is attempt to gain control over the oil reserves. While I believe the oil is not the main reason "we" are over there I do believe that it has more to do with oil than spreading democracy.

#27387 - 07/22/09 10:38 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Meq Offline
Banned

And alas, if you bring democracy to unenlightened folk, they will be more than happy to vote their own rights and freedoms away and clamor for exactly the kind of justice system this thread is about.

As if muppets are somehow the experts on what's best for themselves ;\)

#27433 - 07/23/09 01:59 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: Meq]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I don't really think they are that worse unenlightened than the muppets we allow here to vote to keep democracy rolling. Or the representatives those muppets vote into political power.

Now while I do think that honor killing in this cultural tradition is a bit retarded even when it, in many cases, is more about reproduction control than godly wishes, I am not too bothered about it. It's their country and their culture and I don't think we should start holy crusades to have it turned into a bad copy of our culture. Even when I do find ours a tiny bit more enlightened.

In the end, our concern is our culture and eventually potential threats to that. People acting like morons at the other side of the globe are page filler in newspapers. Maybe they sort their own stuff out, maybe not, but essentially it is up to them.

D.

#27445 - 07/23/09 07:43 PM Re: Iran: Teenage girl hanged [Re: Diavolo]
Meq Offline
Banned

Some have argued that reform in Islam can only come from within, rather than imposed from outside. In other words, to become less savage, Islam needs its own "Reformation" with various Muslim leaders themselves openly disavowing Islamic extremism. However, one downside to this is that I can't see it happening without much conflict and bloodshed.

To some extent this is already happening, with liberal Western Muslims taking part in gay pride rallies and so forth. The Middle East however is a different ball game.

Islamic culture does have some high points, such as the historical scientific and mathematical discoveries within Muslim culture, the anti-fundamentalist mysticism of the Sufis, the preservation of Western philosophical texts, and so forth. Islamic fundamentalism such as in contemporary Iran however is a long way from this. Baghdad was once a bastion of enlightened thought, but no more. Over the border in Iran, the climate is even more fundamentalist. At least they have swapped stoning for the hangman's noose.

Incidentally, rape victims being killed by their own family as "honor killings" are not an uncommon occurrence in some cultures. This case however involves the State executing the teenage rape victim as a criminal.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.