Page 7 of 7 « First<34567
Topic Options
#27941 - 08/05/09 05:23 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
Care to give an example where anything, especially "magical workings", were accepted at face value on this site? How about where "tools from the academic tool box" are treated like "snake oil and pipedreams"?

Point being, I don't see people worry this much about faults, mistakes, agendas and low quality of data when people tell about magical workings or other subjective experiences. But maybe I should take this as a prof that people actually DO view surveys as more then just a collection of subjective opinions?

- Amina

#27942 - 08/05/09 05:27 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Again, show me where, on this site, any "magical working" has ever been discussed and accepted at face value. If you can't do that then shut up.

#27944 - 08/05/09 05:50 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
wolf Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Amina
 Originally Posted By: Diavolo
you're a cackling housewife and Denmark must have some Nancy satanists

And calling people names while hiding your face and real name is part of representing true hard core satanism? I see.

I think it was Nemo that once said to some boisterous idiot that the only reason he dared to speak like that was because he knew Nemo (assuming it was him) couldn't reach out through his monitor and punch him in the eye. That is, it's easy to play tough when you don't have to walk the talk.

#27945 - 08/05/09 05:57 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: The Zebu]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
I do think that Nazism is a relevant issue-- not only because of the ONA, but also because of the rise in popularity of the Joy of Satan.

Joy of Satan could also have been included, but I think the ONA is more relevant because they have been part of the scene for more years and there texts have been able to get there own life unrelated to specific persons on the satanic scene. I do not know much about Joy of Satan, and most of what I have seen have been on youtube. I would think the group is so controversial right now that its merit is very dependent on its frontpersons, not its ideas. Also, it would be hard to compare data on the JoS to anything, because the groups is so new. I don't think any research have been done on the group yet? But as stated - I don't know enogh about the groups to know this.

Granted, they're a moronic bunch, and I doubt any of their 13-year-old "followers" will still be on the LHP five years from now, but they still play a major part in Satanism's "net-image".

People are asked to state any groups they are or have been involved in. Maybe this will give some data on the JoS.

While I do believe that this survey will help de-mystify Satanic demographics a little bit, I don't see it having any overreaching effects or contribute to the "acceptance" of Satanism as a whole.

De-mystifying is more or less all I would ask for right now, especially in the US. Being able to point to objective data is of value IMO - even when most people ignore it. In the US a scary amount of people believe virgin birth, hell, creationism and other insane ideas. If scientists only worked on research that the general public would understand and value the US would be a nation of bible interpreters (and no, I am not trying to piss of Americans on this board).

Maybe realistic information don't change the world, but IMO it is a good place to start. I have seen it work quite well in smaller less religious communities.

- Amina

#27946 - 08/05/09 06:08 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Amina Offline

Again, show me where, on this site, any "magical working" has ever been discussed and accepted at face value. If you can't do that then shut up.

As stated, I do not believe in magic. If I should replay to any of the contributions in the ritual section on this board I would not be able to accept any of the statements about magical powers, spirits or other supernatural claims as something people actually experienced in real life. You can pick any contribution from that section discussing peoples experienced as something they actually experienced in real life, and I would view my statement as applying to this.

This said, do you have anything to add to the topic at hand? I can see your pressing need to address any problems you see in what I write, but I think you are aiming at the player (or rather words out of context) and not the topic (the topic being the survey in question, or the usefulness of surveys in general).
Play ball, please.

- Amina

Edited by Amina (08/05/09 06:20 PM)

#27947 - 08/05/09 06:17 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

First of all, I do not believe in magic either. Not as some supernatural force anyways. Second there is no "ritual section" on this board. And third, you made the claim that "succesfull magical workings" have not only been discussed but accepted at face value. I ask you for proof and you dodge the question, not once, but twice.

#27948 - 08/05/09 06:30 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Amina Offline

This is sooo out of topic...

Okay, the section I was thinking about is named "Occultism". If I read the first post in the first section (to do it the easy way) I get this statement from "Satansfarm":
 Quote:
"I have had some range of success with Satanic rituals, but none as profound as the destruction ritual. There's nothing quite as dramatic as watching or hearing of a curse working. Quite frankly, it is the reason that I felt that Dr. LaVey was so interesting. I was a dweeby, skinny kid and the first bully I hexed got his teeth knocked out"

http://www.the600club.com/topic21811-1.html

Okay, granted, people did not have a democratic vote and decided to trust the statement or not, the quote could be interpreted in many ways and I did not read the whole topic, but I do not see the spanish inquisition stepping in as it did in relation to the survey.

- Amina

#27949 - 08/05/09 06:34 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Well if you didn't read the whole thread then you can't really use it as an example. Had you read the whole thing you would have noticed that people certainly did question the validity of that post. I am done with this now.

#27950 - 08/05/09 06:37 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
Amina Offline

As long as people are ignoring the topic at hand and making demands, maybe I could do the same. Someone mentioned a section with a reading list in connection to my complains about "not having talked to any American satanists who had read academic books on Satanism". Maybe someone could tell me how to find this reading list? Maybe this could add a bit to the topic and/or show me how wrong I am.

- Amina

#27951 - 08/05/09 06:45 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Amina Offline

Well if you didn't read the whole thread then you can't really use it as an example. Had you read the whole thing you would have noticed that people certainly did question the validity of that post. I am done with this now.

But did the Spanish inquisition move in at once? Or I could ask: If this had been a discussion on alt.sociology or something like that, do you think the reactions to discussions about surveys and magic would have been the same?

- Amina

#27958 - 08/05/09 09:57 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Amina, you have shown that you just dont have a clue about this board.

You don't know where there is basic information about reading lists.

You don't read any threads fully.

You tend to be misinformed about lots of topics.

Also, 140 people is not a lot of people. I doubt the next survey will even double that.

I had asked previously how many Satanist do you actually know in real life, and you still didnt reply.

Denmark is small compared to the rest of the world.
Just because 140 seems like a large amount of people to you, it really is not.

Its really silly at this point, you still don't understand.
Perhaphs you never will.

Morgan

#27968 - 08/05/09 11:44 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Morgan]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
To no one in general, this thread is being locked. Seven pages devoted to a silly ass online survey. It's now turned into a pissing contest.

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.