Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#27400 - 07/23/09 01:56 AM The Satan Survey - Participate!
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
A few years back some professor of psychology did an online survey of Satanists. While it's impossible to get a definite picture of Satanic demographics from something like that, it was an interesting read that clarified a few things, and was published in a journal of religious studies.

Well, he's doing a newer, update survey, and I'm pretty sure it will get much more responses than last time.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=OCv1VM6KjYFZ8RJlFV6tYQ_3d_3d

Maybe a mod can sticky this or frontpage it or something. To have a scholar of religion take Satanism seriously and make an effort to study it is a rarity, so hopefully we can help out.

#27401 - 07/23/09 01:59 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: The Zebu]
Meq Offline
Banned

I made it a sticky - until anyone else objects to it that is ;\)
#27453 - 07/24/09 02:37 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: The Zebu]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I decided to take the survey. It was one of the better ones that I have seen/been sent/participated in. I didn't get the option to make my answers public, which I wanted to. Sorry. I might have clicked send a little too hastily?

#27458 - 07/24/09 05:41 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: fakepropht]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I did the survey as well. I thought it was well thought out. I didn't see an option to save and make any answers public, but you can contact the person by email if you wish. I remember seeing an email address for him on the survey.

M

#27462 - 07/24/09 02:19 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Morgan]
Morbid Rex Offline

Does anyone have a link to the original article he posted? The survey wont let me go back now that I've completed it.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#27472 - 07/25/09 01:08 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Morbid Rex]
Meq Offline
Banned

If it uses your IP to track you as someone who's completed it, you can always try using http://www.hidemyass.com
#27481 - 07/25/09 08:01 AM New survey on satanism
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
Leading expert on religion James R. Lewis from the University of Wisconsin, is conducting new research on contemporary Satanism. The current phase of his research builds on prior work that was published eight years ago as “Who Serves Satan?” This earlier article played an impotent role in the early research on contemporary Satanism and can be found at http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb03/ivk/mjr/pdfs/2001/articles/lewis2001.pdf
If you are a satanist, and would like to participate and make your unique contribution to the publics knowledge and opinion on Satanism, please visit http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=OCv1VM6KjYFZ8RJlFV6tYQ_3d_3d and complete the questionnaire. Unless you otherwise identify yourself, your answers will be completely anonymous.

Without real knowledge misunderstandings and misinformation will prevail. Let your voice be heard today, and make your own unique contribution to a more accurate picture of contemporary Satanism.

- Amina

#27483 - 07/25/09 09:01 AM Re: New survey on satanism [Re: Amina]
Meq Offline
Banned

Welcome back to the forum Amina, but this survey has already been posted here in the Satanism section and has been made a sticky topic.
#27486 - 07/25/09 09:26 AM Re: New survey on satanism [Re: Amina]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Thank you for posting the link to the final results, Anima. I and several others have filled out the survey, which I thought was one of the more in-depth questionnaires I've taken.

#27534 - 07/26/09 11:23 AM Re: New survey on satanism [Re: Meq]
Amina Offline

Sorry about the reposting of old news. I promised Lewis to spread the word before I went on vacation, so when I came back and he had announced the final version of the new survey, I was in a bit of a hurry.

I hope everyone will try to spread the word by e-lists, facebookgrpups, message boards and webpages. The more responses he gets, the more value and weight his research will have. I have heard that he will try to present some of his newest findings at a conference on Satanism in Norway later this year, so I guess it would be helpful if as many as possible answer the survey as soon as they can.

Now we are talking old news I hope everyone has read about the newest book on contemporary religious Satanism, edited by leading expert on the subject Jesper Aagaard Petersen. The book represent the latest and most serious research on contemporary religious Satanism and is a most have for anyone with an academic interest in the subject. See http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&calcTitle=1&title_id=7234&edition_id=8508

Jesper and other of the contributers to the book will also attend the conference later this year, so I hope I will be able to go too - I am sure it would be very interesting.

- Amina

#27537 - 07/26/09 11:40 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: The Zebu]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
A few years back some professor of psychology did an online survey of Satanists

James R. Lewis is one of the leading experts in the study of new religious groups and have been so for many years. Before he got an interest in Satanism only a few studies from the 70'ties had been published and a few newer articles in various magazines, unless you include the studies on the satanic panic. Many other academics work in the field today, but Lewis was the one who where able to make the deals with the serious publishers so the studies could be published, and one of the people who where able to make Satanism a legitimate and serious field to study and write about for people in the fields of sociology and history of religion. Before that the field where more or less viewed as unworthy of serious research, but that has changed now.

- Amina

#27550 - 07/26/09 11:38 PM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Amina]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Ah; I wasn't too familiar on how extensive the background was...

True, most "Satanic" studies were either done on Satanic panics or the old witch-hunting hysterias- neither of which had any relevance to real, practiced Satanism.

When you look at it- mostly based on numbers- modern Satanism can be seen as an insignificant trend among a small subculture that is unworthy of honest religious or philosophical study. Yet when viewed from the big picture, this simply cannot be. Sure, the Ahl-e Haqq religion (randomly picked) clearly outnumbers Satanists at a million adherents, and has much more cultural depth and richness for scholars to draw from-- yet say "Al-E-Haqq" to 99% of the world and they will just look at you funny. Now say the word "Satanist"-- and nearly every human being on the civilized planet will be provoked to some kind of an emotional response from that word.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how the results come in compared to the last one.

#27553 - 07/27/09 01:30 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: The Zebu]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I just got an email from one of my friends about this. Apparently the below is the CoS official stance on it.

18 July, XLIV A.S.:

HACKADEMIC WARNING!

Be advised that James R. Lewis of the University of Wisconsin is once again out to try and nail the custard to the wall. Don’t be suckered-in to his current project at doing a “Census of Satanism” (a topic he and his cronies have previously obscured with what to us is biased, ill-researched drivel). The devil-worshipping dodos will flock to him as they always do, and we think it worthwhile that true Satanists should steer clear.

What a crock of shit, Gilmore is a weenie. I guess he didn't even bother to read it at all. What else can you expect from him. If people understood that you really don't need to send him money or be a member, he would have nothing.

Maybe that is simply it, the same factions that happened in Xitiany replaying in the Satanic community. The Xitian church got rid of the gnostic who thought god was in everything and didn't need a church. Then we have Gilmore and what he has turned the CoS into saying everything not the CoS is a lie.

I think its time people learn from history.

Morgan

#27556 - 07/27/09 04:14 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Morgan]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I can see the concern of "Devil worshipping dodos" fucking up the results of the survey; but, so what?

Not like the results of this survey will determine whether or not "we", as Satanists, will be taken seriously by the public at large. Most of the sheep out there will cling to their preconcieved notions about what Satanism is anyways, thus negating the results of any survey which may or may not make us seem "normal" to the aforementioned sheep.

Maybe Gilmore is scared that the number of "unaffiliated Satanists" that participate in the survey will trump the number of those who state their affiliation with CoS, which will make "his" organization seem less powerful than they would like people to think they are.

Therefore, by urging CoS members to boycott this survey, he might be hoping that "the devil worshipping dodos" will make themselves known in such a high amount that the results will thrown away like so much afterbirth, and CoS will be viewed the only true Satanists who are too elite to participate in a survey, and, like custard, can't be nailed to a wall. After all, the ones who don't affiliate themselves with CoS might affiliate themselves with another Satanic community....

#27557 - 07/27/09 04:26 AM Re: The Satan Survey - Participate! [Re: Morgan]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: Morgan
I just got an email from one of my friends about this. Apparently the below is the Cos official stance on it.

They did the same thing with the first survey. Gilmore did not want people from the CoS taking part in the survey for one simple reason: academics like Lewis do not view CoS as the only legitimate satanic organization. When they investigate Satanism as a phenomena, they investigate all who claim to be satanists. The investigation shows that we have different KINDS of Satanism, and different kinds of organizations, but they do not try to pick one as the only true kind of Satanism. This is the same as with Christianity - Catholics think they have the only legitimate kind of Christianity, but when academics investigate Christianity, they investigate all kinds of Christianity. This do not mean that they lump everything together, but they are both able to say something about the topic in general, and something about specific groups. The work of James Lewis, Asbjørn Dyrendal, Jesper Aagaard Petersen and others in resent years have been of high standard, and without it the public would only know about Satanism from the media or Christian researchers. I can understand why the CoS want to defend what they see as there claim to the one and only true Satanism, but in this case they are not acting very sane. Even the CoS will gain nothing by boycotting serious research.

Lewis and Aagaard Petersen have edited several books and I recommend people to read them if they are unsure about the standard of research.

- Amina

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.