Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#27501 - 07/25/09 10:04 PM Anyone like comc books?
Morbid Rex Offline

I like reading Marvel comics. I'm also a big fan of The Goon, definately worth checking out if you're a fan of gross imagery (which The Goon does in a strangely tasteful way), humorous off the wall dialogue, and B-movies which it definately pays tribute to. I've picked up V For Vendetta but I haven't read it yet. I also want to pick up the comics based on the "Alien" series starring Sigourney Weaver and it's "Predator" counterpart.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#27502 - 07/25/09 10:11 PM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Morbid Rex Offline

I forgot to mention Neil Gaiaman's Sandman. I have the whole series downloaded on my old computer but the first issue was so good I stopped reading and decided to buy them one day. Preacher's also a good one that I downloaded and decided I'd rather have a physical copy.

#27504 - 07/25/09 10:19 PM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Morbid Rex]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I was never really into comic books myself, but I am a fan of Dogwitch and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

Dogwitch has some really great illustrations. Those illustrations were what prompted me to buy the comic book, or, "graphic novel" (What the hell is the difference anyway?). After I read it I realized it had a kick ass story line to it as well. Unfortunately I was unable to find any more of the series.

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac(JTHM) is just really funny to me. It has that certain twisted sense of humor that resonates with me. I believe I have read the entire series unless more were put out.
The creator of JTHM, Johnen Vasquez, also created a cartoon I like called Invader Zim. That show was short lived, but luckily I have all the episodes on DVD.

#27505 - 07/25/09 10:30 PM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Morbid Rex Offline

If you like the twisted humor of JTHM then you might enjoy The Goon too, especially the early issues where the comics really had no set plot and it was just a bunch of goofy storylines every issue.

I liked Invader Zim too, I was pissed when they canceled it. It was one of the last great shows on Nickelodeon.

#27506 - 07/25/09 10:37 PM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Morbid Rex Offline

Being that this is a religious site and also given the nature of Satanism I also recommend Preacher. It's about a guy who gets the power of the word of God, so basically anything he commands someone to do they have no choice but to obey. He's also on a journey to find God literally, who runs away from Heaven after an Angel and Demom have a baby.

Edited by Morbid Rex (07/25/09 10:38 PM)

#27511 - 07/26/09 01:28 AM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I like comic books and graphic novels. I have all the sandman in graphic novel form because I found them easier to read that way( I hate ads). I have a bunch of books from the 1970's era, and some stupid shit from the late 1960's too.

Marvel pretty much ended my collecting because of all the stupid crossover shit. I dont want to have to buy 10 different books every week to follow one fucking story line. The last book I seriously enjoyed reading was Hellblazer, but that was before they bastarized it into the movie Constantine with Keanu Reeves playing someone other than the original blond arragant Englishman the character is supposed to be.

I sold my first issue of Preacher for like $50. a few years back, and have a few johnny the homisidal manic floating around.
I have a bunch of rare shit, old stuff, cherry pop-tarts, and heavy metal mags mixed in too.

I was actually considering selling about 6 boxes worth of books cause I wanted to downsize the collection. Its amazing what I can fit into a hall closet.

\:\)

Morgan

#27516 - 07/26/09 02:17 AM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Morgan]
Samuel Hain Offline
pledge

Loc: arkansas
I grew up on Vampirella. I still think she hasn't been marketed correctly.The thing with comic books is that if the art is great the story line sucks and if the story line is great then the art sucks.
Its hard to find now but I highly recommend a series of comic books called Donna Mia about a succubus possessing a 16 year old girl, or was a 16 year old girl possessing the succubus? It was made ambivalent like that on purpose The art work was so great as to be almost photo realistic and the story line was very occultist and cerebral.It also was very erotic with a lot of nudity but not sex just for the sake of sex.

My current favorite is Tarot, a comic book about a family of Witches put out by broadsword Comics and Jim Balent studios.

#27526 - 07/26/09 09:49 AM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Samuel Hain]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
My favorite comic has got to be Matt Wagner's "Grendel", published by Dark Horse. It's sort of a black parody on Batman, where a young eccentric millionaire, inspired by some quasi-sentient "devil" living inside him, starts dressing up in a black and white costume and begins assassinating criminals for the thrill of it; eventually becoming a crime lord himself after taking over all the illegal syndicates by force.

"Spawn" is also pretty cool. I pretty much enjoy all of Alan Moore's work as well.

I also enjoy lots of manga; noticeably Kouta Hirano's "Hellsing" (royal vampire hunters and Dracula vs. evil nazi vampires... sounds corny but it's really cool), and a korean manhwa called "Priest", where a heretic priest sells half of his soul to the dark spirit Belial, and gets caught up in a holy war between two demons... It's like an old western with zombies and demons... pretty awesome. (They're actually making a hollywood movie out of it as we speak, but they're dumbing down the plot and making it some kind of boring vampire movie. LAME.)

Edited by The Zebu (07/26/09 09:51 AM)

#27529 - 07/26/09 10:19 AM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: The Zebu]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I always like comics although here they are called strips and are often a more refined form than the American versions, at some levels some can even be considered art.

I liked the American comics although the drawing styles and technique seem to suffer a bit to keep up with the commercial demands. That happens here too with some highly commercialized comics. I quit buying American comics but was rather fond of Wolverine, Cable and the series X-men: Apocalypse which was rather interesting.

Of the European comics, I still have the Slaine collection, 666 and the Metabarons.

I used to collect "Storm" too in the past but gave them all to someone. They are not bad at all.

I'm not sure if all are available or even translated in English but Slaine was/is and I can recommend those.

D.

Edited by Diavolo (07/26/09 10:20 AM)

#27532 - 07/26/09 11:15 AM Re: Anyone like comc books? [Re: Morbid Rex]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I'm a big fan as well. I have boxes upon boxes of them in my closet. I also have a lot of figures and collectibles based on them. I used to work part time in a huge comic and collectible based warehouse. So I was able to have first dibs on anything that came in. At a discount.

Many of my faves have already been mentioned. Hellblazer, Grendel, Spawn, Preacher. I dig Frank Miller. Sin City is a fave. I liked DC and it's other offshoots. Darkhorse? Forgive me, my brain isn't working just yet. I like the darker Batman stuff. I have every issue of JTHM. Great way to spend some free time just "wasting" time. Marvel never really connected with me. For the same reasons you mentioned Morgan. Plus, I wasn't too much into the fantasy and super hero type stuff. I liked the human creature struggling with turmoil and being a badass. Probably why I like the Punisher, Batman, Spawn, and Sin City.

In my vampire phase, I read Morbius, but outgrew that one. Judge Dredd is another. Damn, there was one that was a zombie cowboy? Can't think of the title right now. I think that was an offshoot of another storyline? Maybe Constantine?

My most prized are the 2 original KISS comics in pristine condition. I would fight you to the death over those.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.