Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#27718 - 07/30/09 12:43 AM Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
"The Devil made me do it!"
http://news.aol.com/article/texas-police-say-woman-kills-baby-eats/588892

How much mental illness plays in this is still being investigated (although it should seem pretty obvious), but what this woman did was absolutely sickening, and pretty much speaks for itself.

#27719 - 07/30/09 01:06 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: The Zebu]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yeah, people are fucked up, always have been and always will be. Funny how quick so many people are to profess their belief in a God and Devil, but when someone - usually a believer - uses the supposed existance of the deity(s) as justification for something like this; they get off on an insanity plea.

What really irks me is the person shouldn't get a cop out in the form of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" verdict. Does it really matter that the person claims "The Devil made me do it"? If this woman were to say she did it just to see what brains tasted like she wouldn't be given the chance to claim insanity. But wouldn't a justification like that also mean that the person was insane? Either way the person is not stable. The point being that she should suffer the consequence of her actions.

Maybe, since it is Texas, they will fry her anyways. Wouldn't be the first time the state of Texas executes a "mentally handicapped" person. Hell, W sanctioned those executions when he was Govenor, and he has a direct line to God.

#27726 - 07/30/09 02:32 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Apparently from what I read, she has a history of mental illness.
Her boyfriend/husband just left her and her new baby along with her other 2 kids.

I think probably the birth of the kid, the walking out of her partner triggered her mental illness and she lost it.
Maybe she was thinking that by eating the baby she was reclaiming a part of herself and her lost partner?

Who knows?

Its still a fucked up sad situation, if she ever realizes what she did, she might kill herself.

M

#27733 - 07/30/09 10:30 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: The Zebu]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Oh for fuck's sake. That excuse again...?

Seriously, can't they come up with something more original, or, better yet, just say they haven't a fucking clue as to why they would do such a vile act?

#27737 - 07/30/09 01:32 PM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: Morgan]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

A history of mental illness in no way excuses such behavior. No one will ever really know why she did it.Schizophrenic or sociopath? Doesn't matter to me. She committed the act and now she must pay the price for it. She did try to kill herself. She shot herself and slashed her own throat. To me that seems like she knew exactly what she was doing. Of course, she is only going to say that the devil made her do that too.

#27738 - 07/30/09 01:58 PM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: DistroyA]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

The battle of good and evil, light against dark is well ingrained in the human animal. Outcries as yours show little understanding of the workings of the human mind. Not that I am a scholar just a watcher and participant. Remember we are talking about a damaged mind here not a rational human.

Most humans cannot see past this original struggle of good and evil. A good number of people when hearing an internal voice thinking it is external would give that voice the name of god or the devil, depending on what it told them to do.

What exactly is it that conveys thoughts to our fingers or mouths? As I sit here and type I can hear in my head as with a voice but not a voice the words as I think them and the spellings as I type them. This is my voice it is internal, is it so hard to fathom what it would be like to all of a sudden feel as if this voice is no longer your own?

None of us can really know what this woman thought she was doing? I do not find it very shocking or have much emotion towards this story. If one even begins to start understanding human behavior not very much will be shocking anymore.

~T~

I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am man.

#27745 - 07/30/09 03:44 PM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: ta2zz]
Maxim D Offline
stranger

Loc: Portland, Oregon, United State...
Hey y'all it's okay- the baby's with god now. Wow I just hope she had it baptized before she did it, or else it's just gonna be in limbo forever.

I'd like to rip her arms off. Fucking bitch. Reminds me of those faith healers, except that all they do is sit back and let their children die.

But hey, she did it out of love, right? These people are delusional, and that's what makes them CRIMINALS. Hell, If she's insane, why not use some "electro-shock treatment" straight to the dome- if you catch my drift...?

Kudos to her for using the oldest excuse in the book.

#27748 - 07/30/09 07:47 PM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: Maxim D]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Maxim D
I'd like to rip her arms off. Fucking bitch. Reminds me of those faith healers, except that all they do is sit back and let their children die.

All I can do is sit and wonder why you feel the need to rip her arms off? Are you this child’s daddy? How does this story touch your personal life in any way?

But hey, she did it out of love, right? These people are delusional, and that's what makes them CRIMINALS.

None of us know why she did it. So she is a criminal and delusional. You are taking this kind of personal, while doing little more than stating the obvious. From where I sit I see you as delusional for wanting to instill violence for something that has nothing to do with you or yours. Not very far from a criminal move to me.

Hell, If she's insane, why not use some "electro-shock treatment" straight to the dome- if you catch my drift...?

Capitol punishment is a reality in Texas, so you may get your wish. Will you be in attendance if they do execute her?

Kudos to her for using the oldest excuse in the book.

Kudos to you for being nothing more than another violent teen.

Really now are you just a defender of innocence, I mean seriously what is your gig? Are you some kind of wannabe superhero or something, Captain Satan perhaps?

~T~

Perhaps it is time to step over the line again.

#27749 - 07/30/09 09:38 PM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: ta2zz]
DistroyA Offline

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

The battle of good and evil, light against dark is well ingrained in the human animal. Outcries as yours show little understanding of the workings of the human mind. Not that I am a scholar just a watcher and participant. Remember we are talking about a damaged mind here not a rational human.

Most humans cannot see past this original struggle of good and evil. A good number of people when hearing an internal voice thinking it is external would give that voice the name of god or the devil, depending on what it told them to do.

What exactly is it that conveys thoughts to our fingers or mouths? As I sit here and type I can hear in my head as with a voice but not a voice the words as I think them and the spellings as I type them. This is my voice it is internal, is it so hard to fathom what it would be like to all of a sudden feel as if this voice is no longer your own?

None of us can really know what this woman thought she was doing? I do not find it very shocking or have much emotion towards this story. If one even begins to start understanding human behavior not very much will be shocking anymore.

~T~

I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am man.

Yeah, fair enough on the fact that her mind is completely fubar'd. It doesn't change the fact that she's gone and committed a most disgusting act against her own child. To be fair, whenever I see the words "The devil told me to do it", regardless of the situation, I react in a similar manner to how I did beforehand. That's a trigger for me.

The third paragraph of this post of yours seems like you're going off on an unrelated tangent. It made no sense to me. Care to elaborate at all?

#27756 - 07/31/09 12:50 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: DistroyA]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

This paragraph?

What exactly is it that conveys thoughts to our fingers or mouths? As I sit here and type I can hear in my head as with a voice but not a voice the words as I think them and the spellings as I type them.

First I formed a question, I then gave an example of how my mind works hearing a voice that is perceived as my own. Now having talked to a few different close friends about this voice most agree with me. I in no way automatically think you also think this way so this is why I first formed the question. Following this so far?

This is my voice it is internal, is it so hard to fathom what it would be like to all of a sudden feel as if this voice is no longer your own?

I then after all of this ask how hard is it to understand a different perspective where this voice feels like it is external? If you are one who needs an external god is it so hard to see where the next thought goes?

This implies that at least I can see that it seems pretty common for these types to associate this now perceived external voice as coming from god, the devil or demons, while others might think it coming from aliens or Dan Rather.

"Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

Originally Posted By: DistroyA
It doesn't change the fact that she's gone and committed a most disgusting act against her own child.

Exactly. Now does this ability for a human to do this still shock you?

I mean seriously, “I am the alpha and the omega I am man”. We are man we write the book from A-Z. Everything any god has done man created and man will do. As well as anything any devil demon or evil spirit has done can also be attributed to man.

Originally Posted By: DistroyA
"The devil told me to do it", regardless of the situation, I react in a similar manner to how I did beforehand. That's a trigger for me.

Well like a smoker I guess knowing your trigger points is half the battle to kicking the habit. She is demented she did something terrible to “her own”. Perhaps I am more tolerant than others to things that do not touch me.

Maybe it just comes with age.

~T~

The mind is such a wonderful diverse thing, I enjoy all the different flavors! ;\)

#27757 - 07/31/09 01:46 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: ta2zz]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Ta2zz, I think you might be mistaken here. What you are referring to, I believe are “thoughts,” in one’s mind, and not the “voices” that psych patients refer to.

I used to be quite curious about the “Voices” that my psych patients referred to when they complained of hearing them, so I would grill them about it.

For the most part, their explenation was, that the voices do not appear as “thoughts,” but as sounds, as if someone was in the same room talking to them.

This got me to wondering, where they (the voices) originated from. I asked some of the psychiatrists, if any research was done, as far as they were aware, that when these voices “talked” to the patients, if their ear drums reacted, or was the hearing center in the brain triggered. I never did get a straight answer, so I’m not sure about that.
But to these people, at least the ones that are legitimate about their complaints, and not faking them, do “Hear” the voices, and are not referring to thoughts in their mind.

Certainly, I wasn’t beyond fucking around with the Psychiatrists, and putting to them the question, “Well, how do we know for sure, that the voices aren’t indeed real, and we are just not tuned in to hearing them. They would just laugh that off though, because they knew I was just messing with them.

On the other hand, some disturbed people, might consider that their thoughts, are not their own, and will claim that an outside entity, such as “the devil,” “Space aliens,” or such, are talking to them through “Thought control.”

Personally, I don’t have a problem with society terminating the lives of people who endanger society by their dellusions. That’s just the way that I feel. That goes for people as well, under the age of 18, who commit “serious” violent crimes.

#27762 - 07/31/09 06:13 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: Asmedious]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
This got me to wondering, where they (the voices) originated from. I asked some of the psychiatrists, if any research was done, as far as they were aware, that when these voices “talked” to the patients, if their ear drums reacted, or was the hearing center in the brain triggered. I never did get a straight answer, so I’m not sure about that.

As far as I know, the ear drums can't be "triggered" unless there is an actual sound. When we hear a sound, it is the vibrations traveling through the air that causes our ear drums to vibrate, those signals are then interpreted by the brain to be something that we can either make sense of, i.e know what caused the sound, or not.

The only logical explanation is to assume that these "voices" originate in the head of the person. Essentially being thoughts that are heard, in our minds, but not in our own voice. To assume that these people are hearing actual voices (sounds) telling them do these things only begs the question; why can these voices only be heard by a select few? What makes them so "special" that they can hear these voices when most others can't? Until those questions can be answered, it goes against logical thinking to say they are "hearing" these voices with their ears.

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
Personally, I don’t have a problem with society terminating the lives of people who endanger society by their dellusions. That’s just the way that I feel. That goes for people as well, under the age of 18, who commit “serious” violent crimes.

That, I agree with. There are some people that we, as humans, would be better off without.

#27764 - 07/31/09 11:22 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: ta2zz]
DistroyA Offline

Yeah, I think I see where you're coming from now on that paragraph I got a bit puzzled by.

It does shock me, and yet, I'm not surprised that a human can do such a thing. Gorillas and chimpanzees have been known to do the same to their young in the past. It just pisses me off that an innocent child was killed in such a vile manner (And whether you're s hocked or not, I'm sure you'll agree that it's pretty vile.

As for the trigger thing, you do prove a point. Incidentally (And pretty unrelated), I'm quitting smoking (With the help of nicotine lozenges of course...). ;\)

And yes, everyone deals with things differently. I won't argue with that.

#27772 - 07/31/09 10:56 PM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: Morgan]
Meq Offline
Banned

This sounds like a case of postpartum psychosis, the mother lost her grip on reality and did something insane.

Hopefully the judge will work with psychiatrists to give a fair and objective assessment of her mental state and thus capacity for responsibility at the time, before passing sentence.

#27856 - 08/03/09 11:01 AM Re: Why a Texas woman mutilated and ate her baby [Re: Meq]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
I hate reading about kids being hurt. On the other hand, we have abortion in Denmark, and if the women had asked for an abortion before the child had been born, she could have had an abortion. Why is this different? I guess I get upset because the child had already been born, and is now viewed as an individual, even if its existence is still totally dependent on its mother or other caregivers. In some cultures, killing the child would still have been seen as legal, if the mother did it to keep the size of the family down in times of need.

But why do I react? It is not my child, or a child belonging to my family. I guess I react because I am a human being, and feel empty and sympathy towards the child. This says something about human nature. I even feel sympathy towards its mother, because I am convinced that she will feel just terrible when she realize what she has done to her baby (I guess trying to commit suicide was part of this realization). Death penalty would not be a punishment but treatment and returning her to mental health again would. Then she had to live with what she had done.

- Amina

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.