Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#27753 - 07/30/09 11:50 PM Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard
Morbid Rex Offline

Pure misanthropic hatred

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv-VjKfw6ao&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IenpFNACow&feature=related

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#27754 - 07/31/09 12:06 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

That dude is hard to understand, even for a black metal singer. The whole thing comes across as a little emo to me. Depression, "suicidal emotions". Just another singer trying to sound mad when he is crying on the inside.

#27755 - 07/31/09 12:18 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Morbid Rex Offline

he seems quite misanthropic to the extreme on his site. Supposedly his goal is to make extremely anti human and anti commericial Black Metal.

#27766 - 07/31/09 09:43 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
That's what the original Black Metal artists did, and early punk artists to boot, but then those styles became commercial and popular in of itself. Surprise surprise.

I like the sound, though I don't buy into the whole emo/suicide thing. I like the melody, though. I have a soft spot for the mega-fuzzy guitars with forlorn-sounding chords in the background... reminds me of Burzum's "Filosofem" and early Darkthrone.

However, I wouldn't say they're "heavy". In fact, the heaviest black metal band, as well as the most "evil" sounding, (in my opinion), is "Bergraven". They do really slow, doomy stuff with eerie atmosphere in the background. I mean, if anything is suicide-inducing, it is definitely Bergraven. They also have some shorter, instrumental tracks with some lonely-sounding acoustic guitar melodies, that would likely have been written by a depressed blues artist (had he grown up in Norway and wore spikes and pentagrams), and quite frankly wouldn't be a bad soundtrack to off yourself to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRQMBfy4JI

#27796 - 08/01/09 10:08 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: The Zebu]
Morbid Rex Offline

Nice.

I'm a big fan of the eerie doomy stuff. One of my favorite bands is Electric Wizard, not Black Metal but few bands do the Sludgie Stoner Doom Metal thing better then them.

#27802 - 08/01/09 10:41 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Morbid Rex Offline

just came across these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TAlK7kFIs

I like the experimental style

#33959 - 01/13/10 03:56 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Deathcrush Offline
stranger

Loc: Malta, Europe
I listen to a lot of the more extreme styles of music
And yeah Black metal is great in my opinion

But this band sounds kinda depressing in the wrong way
Again i love depressive music,like Eyehategod and St Vitus and that stuff and Morbid (that was Pelle's band before he joined Mayhem)

Just the way its put together its not that feel of BM.

#34160 - 01/18/10 05:34 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
Maybe it's an aquired taste? Could you possibly post the lyrics.. there's no way I'd ever be able to determine what's being said. I'm a huge METAL fan, but when it becomes inaudable due to either distortion or screaming it's no longer music.

The MUSICAL part of the song has a nice rhythm and seems to flow.

#34179 - 01/18/10 05:52 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Baron dHolbach Offline

The closest I come to this musical taste are the following two bands, which the Punisher soundtrack first exposed me to, and whom I now am a fan of.

Rob Zombie:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QKQVGQ/ref=dm_mu_dp_adp1?ie=UTF8&qid=1263854625&sr=1-1

Slayer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TE00VG/ref=dm_mu_dp_adp2?ie=UTF8&qid=1263854625&sr=1-1

#34182 - 01/18/10 06:37 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

Loc: Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria...
Tom Araya is no longer a practicing Catholic, but he is a practicing Christian.

I don't agree with bands writing songs about something they don't know anything about in order to gain an audience.

It also annoys me that they write about religious hipocrisy at the same time as they don't practice what they preach.

#34190 - 01/19/10 12:00 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: PeteOfTheDead]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Slayer makes good music. Period. I don't care they believe in as long as they keep making kick ass music. I do wonder what you mean by "bands writing songs about something they don't know anything about'. More specifically, I wonder how that applies to Slayer. Tom Araya is the only member who is religious and the lyrics he writes don't have anything to do with religion. Most of the anti-God stuff comes from Kerry King.

#34191 - 01/19/10 12:20 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

I like Slayer's music too. I listen to Reign In Blood sometimes.

You said it yourself- Tom Araya is the only religious one in the band. And he's a Christian. What does he, or anyone else in the band, know about black magic?

Black Magic
Lyrics: King | Music: Hanneman / King

Cursed
Black Magic Night
We've Been Struck Down
Down In This Hell
Spells Surround Me Day And Night
Striken By The Force Of Evil Light
The Force Of Evil Light

Cast
Under His Spell
Blinding My Eyes
Twisting My Mind
Fight To Resist The Evil Inside
Captive Of A Force Of Satans Might

Tom Araya admitted in the documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey that even though the title 'God Hates Us All' is his, he doesn't believe that statement. It certainly doesn't stop him going to the bank with royalty cheques for that album though. I think it's irresponsible of him to vocalise about things of that nature he doesn't believe in.

Edited by PeteOfTheDead (01/19/10 12:23 AM)

#34198 - 01/19/10 03:12 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I read this topic a few times and some elements just struck me.

First of all: what's the deal with "heaviest black metal"?
Since when does heavy equals quality? It's a common thing I come across as "an artist" and which boggles my mind. Isn't it your own liking that matters? I can also start summing up bands like Gotherfall and Capitollium because by their heavyness are just "awesome". Instead of saying they are good because they are "heavy" (god how I hate that argument when discussing music), my main reasons would be the parts they play, the skill to produce these notes, my personal liking for drama or emotion being mirrored by the sounds. Those are VALID reasons I like to hear. Those are honest reasons which indicate you are just not following a herd and can think for your own and come out with your personal liking.

Second is about the slayer part.
What does it even matter that a Christian is a singer in a metal band while chanting lyrics in praise of Satan? I thought music was about enjoying sounds produced by the artists? Not about the artists themselves? I admit that I listen to a lot of bands and own a lot of their records, yet the names from the guitarists, drummers, vocalists and keyboards remain mystery to me. I don't care what happens in their private life, I just enjoy what they produce.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone calls me a poser just because I don't know the whole private life of an artist or even his name. I simply don't care.

#34201 - 01/19/10 03:39 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Dimitri]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

I don't care what the members of Slayer do in their private lives either. It's got nothing to do with me if any of them worship Spongebob Squarepants.

I'm a songwriter and I perform sometimes. I'm also a huge fan of honesty. There's nothing wrong with performing or writing as a character. But I personally could not get on a stage and praise Jesus. I'd be lying to my audience. I'd be lying to myself.

So, my thoughts about Slayer were coming from a songwriter's point of view. I think Tom Araya is dishonest to his audience and to himself. But I don't have to deal with Tom Araya's conscience when I look in the mirror...

Edited by PeteOfTheDead (01/19/10 03:40 AM)

#34256 - 01/20/10 05:37 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
Slayer were one of the first thrash metal bands, and to many the *only* thrash metal band... (snip) ...Rob Zombie is just awesome kickassness...

As I want to explore this broad musical dimension, I've added King Diamond and early Metallica to the above two, purchased CD's and look forward to receiving them, having sampled snippets via Amazon.

I personally don't respond well, at least right now, to the vocal stylings of bands like Mastodon or Belphegor, but this may change as my nervous system adapts to the sounds of the above four bands.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 29 queries. Zlib compression disabled.