Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#34830 - 01/30/10 12:22 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
sadistik Offline
stranger

Loc: Babylon
I'm a big fan of Black Metal, but a lot is hit or miss with me too. I enjoy: Immortal, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, etc. I also enjoy other forms of Black Metal, like: Venom, Mercyful Fate, Behemoth, Belphegor, etc. Blackend Death Metal in my opinion is probably one of the best genres in music today. Behemoth & Goatwhore are great examples, as is Belphegor.

#41935 - 08/14/10 01:41 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Satan's Mistress Offline
stranger

Loc: United States
I'm more of a Rob Zombie,Metallica,and Asking Alexandria person,but it's a good song.The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that his words sound like static and it is hard to understand the lyrics.
#44311 - 11/21/10 06:29 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
blazemth Offline
lurker

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Hello first of all! My first post! \:\)

Ok, I listen to alot of Black Metal and have played in various Black Metal bands for years.... Till this day, nothing gets me going like "Nagelfar" (not to be mistaken with the swedish "Naglfar").

For me they just hit the spot on the depressive side. And although the song I am posting is not the "heaviest", it is my favorite and I can only say that you should give them a try!

ENJOY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk86M3xUbXw

#44335 - 11/21/10 02:27 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: blazemth]
HeimiricIX Offline
pledge

Loc: Mexico City.
I am truly not a big fan of Black Metal, I rather Classical, some Ska orchestra or perhaps a Jazz band, however this band (and particulary this record) for some reason really get me.

This song is beautiful as well.

It works wonders sometimes when feeling blue.

Best.

#44350 - 11/21/10 09:02 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: HeimiricIX]
XBlackXScorpionX Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
Right now I'm really into Behemoth.
I loaded a couple of albums onto the work computer and blast when I see fit. I'm walking a fine line though, people are starting to ask who they are and what they stand for.

#46487 - 01/10/11 09:51 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
 Originally Posted By: Morbid Rex
just came across these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TAlK7kFIs

I like the experimental style

Friends of mine as they are based very close to where I live. If you are into the axis also check out Blut Aus Nord a French band who play a similer style of Urban experimental black metal.

#46503 - 01/11/11 04:18 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
Black Metal is my baby. Technical Death Metal comes in at a close second though. As genres, I love them, but as someone said earlier, it is very hit and miss, even within the individual catalogs of different bands. Regardless, these were the two genres I really started to hone my guitar skills in, and as such, the music has a bit of sentimental value for me.

As for Abyssic Hate, I've been a fan for a while. It wouldn't have the same effect if it weren't for the shitty recording quality, and as such, most Depressive Suicidal Black Metal follows that trend. But as for the best of DSBM, I offer you all Thy Light - In My Last Mourning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA3nn_6ZqpM

In the lyrics it has in the video it leaves out the last line.
"In my last mourning / I realise / I had always been the nothing I feared becoming"

The first scream always gets me. It sounds legitimately tortured. And that solo! UGH!

Outside of the extreme Metal, I have found something in every genre that I can enjoy, but Doom Metal comes in third. Sludge, Funeral, Stoner, Drone, Atmospheric, whatever kind of doom. This has lately been a favorite of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8auLKJkuN4

Ava Inferi includes Blasphemer, formerly of Mayhem. I think I enjoy it a little more on some level just because I get to hear him do something different for a change.

And if you'll allow me to touch on music quality for just a moment, I'd be more than happy to ramble a bit. I don't believe in the quality of music per se. Recording quality, I'll give you that, but the actual music? I deem that to be up to the listener, therefore being subjective, having no real qualitative attribute. Most people would call Abyssic Hate garbage, however, I love it. A lot of people like Dub Step, I hate it, but I wouldn't ever call it bad music. It all serves it's purpose and there is always someone there to use it. Music I used to hate (such as the Black Metal and Tech Death), I've grown to love. I'm convinced that a lot of people don't like music so much as they like a few certain bands.

#46624 - 01/12/11 10:00 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Morbid Rex]
Wolflust Offline
stranger

I think I`ll use this thread for some shameless self-promotion

Two of the bands I currently play in is Cleaver and Chton. Neither of these is strictly black metal, but the song (which is soon about to be released) featured on Cleavers Myspace is somewhat brutal black metal.

Chton, being a death metal band, is heavily influenced by the dark and sinister tones of the classic black metal bands, so I`d urge you all to check that out as well ;\)

Ufortunately Im not featured playing drums on any of the Chton-songs, but we have a new album coming up. The former drummer was Vyl from Keep of Kalessin, which I guess many of you know of.

Edited by Wolflust (01/12/11 10:38 AM)

#46676 - 01/12/11 11:53 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Wolflust]
lucithmosh Offline
lurker

Loc: mati city, davao oriental, PHI...
and i am into symphonic black metal..... the best is CARACH ANGREN....! ..... kickass band..!
#46678 - 01/13/11 12:55 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: lucithmosh]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
 Quote:
and i am into symphonic black metal..... the best is CARACH ANGREN....! ..... kickass band..!

Please try to use proper sentence structure, grammar, punctuation and capitalization in your posts. Also, evn when just expressing an opinion on music, make your posts count. Refrain from the one-liners and add some content.

Now, something I forgot to expound on in my last post: Funeral Doom. I'm not sure that many people are familiar with it. It is the slowest form of Doom Metal and usually aims for a deprssive atmosphere. Vocals are, as as per my experiene with the genre, usually either clean, deep, dramatic vocals, or death growls. It doesn't seem to lean more toward either, though.

This first example is Under Ebony Shades by Funeral, a Norwegian band that more or less started it all. They use female vocalists predominantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMtjIohpCjQ

My second offering is Death/Doom. It is a mixture of Death Metal and Funeral Doom. It has a more oppressive atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEPxYFYD4o

Edited by Clicks (01/13/11 01:00 AM)

#46823 - 01/15/11 03:42 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Baron dHolbach]
GiloFrost Offline
lurker

Loc: New Zealand
Taake, Burzum & Darkthrone are my favourites black metal wise. Norwegians in my opinion are the best at it.
But ambient can be very useful for astral travel if you can't find total silence.
Just some thoughts
Happy scrying travels

#46830 - 01/15/11 09:01 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: sadistik]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: sadistik
Blackend Death Metal in my opinion is probably one of the best genres in music today. Behemoth & Goatwhore are great examples, as is Belphegor.

Akercocke as well.

I mostly listen to classical music nowadays, but I grew up listening to hardcore punk and thrash metal, and still like a bit of metal on the side.

#46858 - 01/15/11 05:49 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Goliath]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
The meads of asphodel is about as far as I go with Black Metal atm, mainly because im not as interested in the genre as I was say 5 years ago.
#47912 - 02/02/11 07:55 PM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: Baron dHolbach]
anseoasresere Offline
stranger

Loc: Massachusetts USA
i've always felt that there is something very catholic about black metal. i know there were all the church burnings and the "ex christos negris mortuum" type names and everything like that but here is my impression of the music:

its fierce and presumably is the sound of a demonic force, yadda yadda yadda. but christ is king of the demons, or has power over them, so from the perspective of christianity the music has two possible things going on. the first is these demons cant be controlled by christ any more, the second is these are the sounds of demons that are controlled by christ.

if you aren't a "theist" then it doesnt matter. but if you dont believe in the force of entropy and whatnot then why would you expose people to sounds like that?

personally when i listen to music like this i think of it as the sound of our ancestors. all the dead and rotting souls that dwell in the abyss, so on and so forth, bitter and pissed off about our complacency, absent-mindedness, etc. i cant really listen to the music if i dont think about it that way. thats my issue.

im going on about this so let me stop myself and just give the real reason why i believe this form of music is the most catholic of them all (and you can disagree all you like):

if "hell" is a metaphor for the cleansing the mind goes through when its dying of all the dross that has been stored in it, all that attachment to "earthly" things, then this music is like the fire that burns you clean.

i may be wrong, or it may seem stupid or something, but thats my personal take. is the music creating an imprint or is it destroying them? thats basically the theme of what im writing, my opinion is it is destroying imprints*.

if you are wondering what i mean when i say "imprint" try reading the book "prometheus rising" by robert anton wilson

#47926 - 02/03/11 01:15 AM Re: Heaviest Black Metal I Ever Heard [Re: anseoasresere]
myk5 Offline

Well, I joke that Black metal should be the music of the green movement because most of the videos are always in forests....

When I think of 'heavy' music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHES9YAGGkU

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 29 queries. Zlib compression disabled.