Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#27974 - 08/06/09 06:04 AM Academic litterature on satanism
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
I was told that I could find a list of academic literature on Satanism on this page in connection with a discussion about sociological and other writings on Satanism and religion. I have been unable to find this list, but have been told to look at the list of recommended literature (more or less books by Nietzsche and LaVey), or read this section of the board. As far as I can see the list of recommended reading on the front of the webpage does not really include works on Satanism written by people in the field of sociology or other related fields, so I thought I would add a lit of my own in this section. The list is of cause not a list of all secondary literature, or only the best, but I think it include most of the interesting works I have read, and shows how the research has changed over the years.

To avoid the unavoidable bitch fights I have also decided not to comment on the list on the board. If anyone have any comments or questions they can send me a private message.

(1970) Lyons, Arthur: ”The Second Coming: Satanism in America”.

(1971) Lyons, Arthur: ”Satan Wants You: The Cult of Devil Worship in America”.

(1974) Moody , Edward J.:”Magical Therapy – An antropological investigation of contemporary Satanism”. Reprinted in ”The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism” 2008.

(1976) Alfred, Randall H.: ”The Church of Satan”. Reprinted in ”The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism” 2008.

(1991) Bromley, David G. (Ed). “The Satanism scare”.

(1995) Lowney, Kathleen S.: ”Teenage Satanism as Oppositional Youth Subculture”. Reprinted in ”The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism” 2008.

(1995) Bromley, David G., og Susan Ainsley: ”Satanism and Satanic Churches: The Contemporary Incarnations” in ”America's Alternative Religions”

(1997) Melton, J. Gordon ”Modern Alternative Religions in the West” in ”Handbook of living religions”.

(1999) Wium-Andersen, Dorit: ”Moderne satanisme”, in ”Nye religiøse bevægelser i Danmark”.

(1999) Gavin, Baddeley: ”Lucifer Rising: Sin, Devil Worship and Rock 'n' Roll.

(1999) La Fontaine, Jean: ”Satanism and Satanic Mythology”, Witchcraft and Magic in Europe: The Twentieth Century

(2001) Hermonen, Merja: ”Rationalistic Satanism. The Individual as a Member of a Countercultural Tribe”. Reprinted in ”The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism” 2008.

(2001)Lewis, James R.: ”Who Serves Satan? A Demographic and Ideological Profile”, Marburg Journal of Religion, Volume 6, No. 2.

(2001) Lewis, James R.: ”Satanism Today”.

(2002) Lewis, James R.: ”Diabolical Authority: Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible and the Satanist "Tradition". Reprinted in ”The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism” 2008.

SYZYGY special issue on Satanisme including Petersen, Jesper Aagaard: ”Binary Satanism: The Construction of Community in a Digital World ”.

(2003) Drury, Nevill: ”Magic and Witchcraft”

(2003) Gardell, Mattias: "Goods of the blod".

(2004) Dyrendal, Asbjørn: ”Et satans mannfolk: Den autoriserte Anton LaVey” i ”DIN” nr. 2-3.

(2004) Dyrendal, Asbjørn: ”Satanisme – En innføring” in ”DIN” nr. 4.

(2005) Aagaard, Jesper Petersen: ”Modern Satanism: Dark Doctrines and Black Flames” in ”Controversial New Religions”

(2005) Dyrendal, Asbjørn: ”Satanisme og populærkultur” in DIN nr. 3-4.

(2007) Dyrendal, Asbjørn: ”Satanismens historie” in Humanist nr. 1 2007 s. 4-33).

(2008) Lewis, R. James & Petersen, Jesper Aagaard: ”The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism”.

(2009) Petersen, Jesper Aagaard: "Contemporary Religious Satanism".

#27976 - 08/06/09 07:23 AM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Amina]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
Gavin Baddeley is an academic source? and Arthur Lyons? and I enjoyed the Nevill Drury books, but...academic? Gods of the Blood is a nice book as well, but it is about neo-nazism and right wing heathenism.
many of these are articles or essays from the The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism, and many others are in..what..Danish? Norwegian? I don't know what they are, but by their nature I'm guessing they are probably not very helpful to English readers.

This will only turn into an "unavoidable bitch fight" if you see it as such. I am not attacking, but I am also not going to PM you about it, as this is a discussion forum.

#28015 - 08/06/09 08:37 PM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Bacchae]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
If you are referring to Books of The Left Hand Path, did you understand what you were reading?

I mentioned this at the beginning of the post, but it is not intended to cover anything overtly occult. Of course, the ways things are going these days, perhaps notions of individual liberty are occult!

My list is rather intended, as Crowley points out, to ground the new practitioner in his own identity before staring out into the Abyss. A person looking to learn about Satanism would do well to avoid the vast majority of anything with 'Satanism' in the title or even referring to the occult at all. Most of it is total trash.

Most people will never have an original thought - something they came to independently either through the application of critical thinking or through abstraction. Most people will simply regurgitate memes planted in their heads by other sources. So called 'satanists' are no different.

As always, Satanists are born not made. The true Satanist possessed a sinister mind and manner long before he ever read TSB. Most would be 'satanists' lack this LHP grounding and simply gravitate to the occult because they wish to adopt an outwardly satanic persona or image.

It is extremely difficult to research Satanism because a true Satanist is extremely hard to find. How is the uninitiated researcher to know when he is in the presence of a Satanist? Anyone claiming to have 'researched' Satanism is probably mistaken. It is like asking a monkey to research gold watches.

I took the survey in your now locked Satanic Survey thread. I also left a comment to author on how flawed his methodology was and invited him to post here if he really wanted to research Satanism.

I would also point out, that some of the most sinister material I have read in resent years was written by non-satanist. Like this little gem:

THE U.S. IS TERMINAL
By Kurt Saxon

Our species has become a plague on the land. Worldwide, we have out-bred the carrying capacities of our environments and our socioeconomic systems. Our country is swamped with morons and degenerates. The Mexican border has become a huge anus through which Mexico excretes its waste matter. There are at least eight million Muslims here, all too many of which, feel commanded to destroy us.

Around 1850 our species reached one billion. By 1930 it doubled to two billion and by 1975, four billion. Today it is six and a half billion and climbing.

U.S. population was just under 100 million in1900. Today it is 300 million, 100 million non-white.

The insane middle-east war against Islam is further ruining our economy.

Overpopulation and down-breeding has reduced the level of reasoning of the average human to that of a baboon. A terrible culling is due, or overdue, of more than 50% of our population who will die of starvation, disease and/or violence.

I will illustrate: A man feels poorly and goes to his doctor. The doctor tells him he has a spreading cancer and is overweight and getting fatter. He asks the doctor, "Can't you cut out the cancer and help me lose weight?" The doctor answers, "Of course not. Your cancer cells and your fat cells have as much right to live as do your normal cells."

You would consider that doctor to be insane. But isn't that the same attitude as our politicians, and, unfortunately, most of our politically correct fellow citizens express? People who were born to no purpose and are a social liability, at best, will be culled as a matter course. Those who accept them as simply a part of the scheme of things, will be a part of an indiscriminate culling which will carry off both worthwhile and worthless.

Our elected officials are corrupt and incompetent. No improvement is possible, short of the massive culling. The culling will remove the parasites, predators, perverts and also the Liberals, who not only allowed, but encouraged society's dregs to survive and multiply.

Your only hope lies in the knowledge of our past, in preparing to save yourself and your loved ones. Only the self-sufficiency of our ancestors will help you to create a life-support system and also enable you to defend your own against all comers.

END.....

This and more, to include his practical work, can be found at:

http://www.kurtsaxon.com

#28024 - 08/06/09 11:18 PM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Fist]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
Gavin Baddeley is an academic source?

I'll be frank here... I liked "Lucifer Rising", but the praises it got for being "unbiased" and "impartial" don't mean much when LaVey buttered the author up with a complimentary Priesthood title, and that the general tone of the writing is blatantly Satanic and anti-Christian.

Informative and fascinating? Yes. Scholarly and unbiased? Certainly not.

Quote:
The culling will remove the parasites, predators, perverts and also the Liberals, who not only allowed, but encouraged society's dregs to survive and multiply.

Sinister-macho-bullshit aside, I see a mass culling as being useful, but certainly not practical or realistic in any way.

Edited by The Zebu (08/06/09 11:21 PM)

#28193 - 08/09/09 07:13 AM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: The Zebu]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:

Sinister-macho-bullshit aside, I see a mass culling as being useful, but certainly not practical or realistic in any way.

Surely you realize the whole body of the ONA is 'sinister-macho-bullshit.' As someone who has spent the vast majority of my life perusing the sinister and 'macho', it has been my observation that the weak and emasculated man usually cries 'sour grapes' in the presence of the genuine article. Never try to bullshit a bullshitter.

All the same, the people will cull themselves. When faced with the calamities to come, nature will simply take it's course. The above not a call to action but rather a call to prayer. Or, in the words of Travis Bickle "Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk. All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets."

#28201 - 08/09/09 09:16 AM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Fist]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
 Quote:
All the same, the people will cull themselves.

I have to agree here. America - at least - is a pressure cooker right now, in my opinion. I feel like there are many who are ready for war and just waiting for a leader who is charismatic enough to stir them to action. That is my optimistic opinion, because I feel like we NEED that right now. It's well past time for the common man to take up arms and re-establish himself.

#28531 - 08/17/09 07:00 AM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Amina]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Amina
I was told that I could find a list of academic literature on satanism on this page in connection with a discussion about sociological and other writings on satanism and religion. I have been unable to find this list, but have been told to look at the list of recommended literature (more or less books by Nietzsche and LaVey), or read this section of the board. As far as I can see the list of recommended reading on the front of the webpage does not really include works on satanism written by people in the field of sociology or other related fields, so I thought I would add a lit of my own in this section.

Hilarious!

This reminds me of the good ole days when I had the pleasure of watching Marxist/Leninists claim superiority based on how many times they have read "Das Kapital".

So; you can read?
Good for you...

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#28697 - 08/20/09 07:18 AM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Amina]
Final Conflict Offline
stranger

The problem is that there really isn't much academic literature on Satanism out there at all. You're not going to find any courses on Satanism in any college or university anywhere in the world. At best, you'll find courses with titles like "Magic, Mysticism, and Witchcraft" and other such names (usually focusing on Wicca and if you're lucky, some bit of Crowley), but their respective professors will usually go out of their way to stress that these subjects have nothing at all to do with Satanism and gloss over the Church of Satan.

Academically, Satanism (as in the Satanism of Dr. LaVey) is not considered a credible topic. Satanism as in devil worship does have academic merit because that was a historical concoction of the Christian Church with no basis in reality and thus is required study when dealing with the topic of the Inquisition, and understanding why and how it happened.

But other than that, I've yet to find any academic press willing to publish anything even remotely approaching the topic of modern and practical Satanism in a reasonable and unbiased way, let alone avoiding the inevitable mentions of heavy metal, church burnings, vandalism, cat and dog sacrifices, self-mutilation, etc etc.

That's where the problem lies. Satanism is of interest to sociologists, but only because of the negative aspects associated with it, like the Satanic Panic of the 1980s. They're not interested in the philosophy of Dr. LaVey or the practical application of ritual magic or the concept of aesthetic romanticism and total environments. These would be more of interest for religious scholars and theologians, and they're just not interested. Scientology is the hot topic right now with this particular crowd, or at least it was until Anonymous started hamming it up even further for the tabloids.

I've occasionally come across decent material in journals of comparative religion, but these are very rare. The sociology and psychology articles always focus on the aforementioned negative elements which in reality have nothing to do with Satanism and the various strains of devil worship, which likewise have nothing to do with LaVey.

#28812 - 08/22/09 06:47 PM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Final Conflict]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Ah, but it's impossible to present a scholarly picture of Satanism without mention of heavy metal and church burnings. A presentation of "practiced Satanism" would essentially cover any demographic of all people professing to be Satanists-- from 19th-century French diabolists to Church of Satan members to teenage Slay-tanists sporting inverted crosses.

Granted, I don't "believe" that such people represent what Satanism "truly" means, but my little pretenses of orthodoxy have no bearing in an unbiased and complete evaluation covering Satanism in ALL its manifestations... even the juvenile ones.

#31672 - 11/14/09 12:37 AM Re: Academic Literature on Satanism [Re: Amina]
nocTifer Offline
pledge

Loc: Khazakstan
hi Amina,

you've included a good number of helpful papers by academics. these are more common in journals and periodicals so far but recently some good text has appeared in published books (particularly by Bromley/Best/Rirchardson, and Lewis/Petersen). I found "Contemporary Religious Satanism" (2009) to be superior to "The Encyclopedic Sourcebook on Satanism" (2008) for meaty sociological substance on the religion of Satanism. the latter is more about the Satanic Panic than about religious Satanism. while i love James R. Lewis, i don't think that his "Satanism Today" constitutes hardcore sociology, though the appendices have some good data (survey results, analysis of the importance of LaVey and his Satanic Bible to Satanists).

the 2009 'Contemporary' book has many of the things you've listed here plus more. I'll add from its content below to the point i have read and extracted references. this really is the first book oif its kind, and i think it is immensely valuable to those who want to take a more objective and sociological approach to an examination of religious Satanism.

(1994) Logan, K.: "Satanism and the Occult: Today's Dark Revolution"

(2001) Medway, Gareth J.: "Lure of the Sinister: the Unnatural History of Satanism"

(2003) Schock, Peter A.: "Romantic Satanism"

(2009) Petersen, Jesper A.: 'Satanists and Nuts: The Role of Schism in Modern Religion', in *Sacred Schisms*, edited by Lewis, James R.

i don't yet have any of the books above, and would appreciate reviews of any them here -- i'll be reading the article from *Sacred Schisms* by Petersen very soon and may post a review of it.

btw, Lyons is a reporter, not an academic, as is Baddeley (who is an ordained Reverend of the CoS). Neville Drury has an MA in anthropology.

thanks for starting this topic.

#43147 - 09/22/10 12:33 AM Re: Academic Literature on Satanism [Re: nocTifer]
nocTifer Offline
pledge

Loc: Khazakstan
these two academic texts are still my faves, and you can get a really good notion of what the anthology is like through Googlebooks' preview ("Contemporary Religious Satanism").. I've drawn from them and elsewhere to create the latter of the following two bibliographies (the first is more broad-based).

http://www.satanservice.org/satanism-bibliography.html

and

http://www.satanservice.org/satanism-bibliography

early academia covering the Church of Satan included Truzzo, Moody, and Alfred.

#80648 - 09/30/13 05:52 AM Re: Academic litterature on satanism [Re: Amina]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Academic Satanism? I don't know about all that but Vexen Crabtree has been used as a source for material by Sociologists and Reporters alike.

It's not exactly unbiased but his site may be considered a decent jump-off point for study. He does cite his sources and updates the site periodically. The last update appears to be 2010.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.