Page 9 of 17 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#40432 - 07/18/10 11:14 AM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Dimitri]
Caladrius Offline

Loc: SoCal
 Originally Posted By: Dimitri
I have the feeling you have quite failed in understanding what Satanism was and therefor has chosen to identify with other persons who wanted to do nothing but "rename" Satanism towards something like spiritual, theistic, deistic,.. Satanism.

My associates here and elsewhere all know what I am. I've never hidden it. I was born, raised, bred, and still am a Theravadin of the Thai Forest Tradition. Yes, it can be said that I fail to understand "Satanism" as you and/or an Occidental mind/citta apprehends it.

This is due to the fact that being Asian, and raised Buddhist, the concept/meme of a "Satan" - be it symbolic or theistic - is very foreign to me and what weltanschauung associated with such does not fit into my 'personal cosmology' well.

It can also be said - as my associates will agree - that I have had an hand or influence in changing or "renaming" - as you say - a certain old skool institution which once used Satanism as an outer form, to be non-sectarian and open to Buddhists as well as Muslims.

As I tried to point out earlier: I reserve the right to define my words and concepts. I care very little if my definitions or actions are agreeable to others.

I think "Satanism" - if it is allowed to evolve naturally -is good for the Occidental mind as a means to help such minds liberate themselves from what my associates call "Magian Ethos," as well as this Judeo-Christian matrix/paradigm.

To me and for me - if I use the word and label - Satanism is only a means to and end... a tool the Self utilizes to further advance itself. It should not be used as a substitute for a self identity. I personally believe one should have for oneself a strong self identity. Rather then have that Self attached or lost in another memeplex. One should be Master of one's religion - and/or memes - rather than be Mastered by it. Accepting some Other person's definitions and understandings - other's memes - causes one to no longer have it under one's personal control. But this is a personal concept and I don't expect anybody to agree. No need to respond, as I am removing myself from this conversation.

Edited by Caladrius (07/18/10 11:22 AM)

#40433 - 07/18/10 11:55 AM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Caladrius]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
To me and for me - if I use the word and label - Satanism is only a means to and end... a tool the Self utilizes to further advance itself. It should not be used as a substitute for a self identity. I personally believe one should have for oneself a strong self identity. Rather then have that Self attached or lost in another memeplex. One should be Master of one's religion - and/or memes - rather than be Mastered by it.

To be honest, from all the different sub-groups (by lack of better wording) the thing you came to say is one of the returning key-ideas. It is an idea which is purely Satanic and unbound with taken positions against gods and other paranormal forces.

Quote:
It can also be said - as my associates will agree - that I have had an hand or influence in changing or "renaming" - as you say - a certain old skool institution which once used Satanism as an outer form, to be non-sectarian and open to Buddhists as well as Muslims.

I am aware of the new turn you and your associates have taken in changing and renaming the particular institute. But I have to ask and wonder: can you stand alone without the help of your associates? Can you discuss and share ideas without any other person to defend you?
To be honest, the given turn to open up for both Buddhists and muslims to me looks like a give in to egalitarian principles and a weakening on long term. But since I have no affilation nor any concerns with it; whatever.

Quote:
Accepting some Other person's definitions and understandings - other's memes - causes one to no longer have it under one's personal control. But this is a personal concept and I don't expect anybody to agree. No need to respond, as I am removing myself from this conversation.

There is a difference between acceptance and relating.

Edited by Dimitri (07/18/10 11:56 AM)

#40434 - 07/18/10 12:46 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I do think there is a huge difference between European and American Satanism. One can't deny Lavey had a big influence upon a certain approach towards Satanism but his influence is mostly limited towards the pure Laveyan version, which is cast in stone by the CoS and upon Modern Satanism, which is heavily influenced by Lavey's work but allows a certain degree of differentiation from the original. But overall, both are mostly an American affair, something for which even the 600 club provides evidence. The Internet with its explosion of mass-communication and connectivity drew more Europeans towards it, something clearly seen during my decade here but they're still a minority. The fact that Laveyan or Modern Satanism might gain some popularity in Europe is not because of the superiority of it but, and I intend this argument as respectful as possible, because of the fast-paced implementation of the American fast-food mindset. Thirty years ago we looked down upon the American way of things as too fast, easy or shallow. Nowadays I hardly see a difference between us and them. And on the back of that wave rides Laveyan inspired Satanism, perfectly equipped for that habitat because it hardly requires anything to fit into it.
It's not that I say all Satanists of that kind are shallow, I do for a fact know some aren't but what they themselves brought to the table to differ from the others is what made the very difference, not what TSB or Lavey provided. Except in those cases, too often I find American Satanism a glorification of averageness, if it even manages to be that.

European Satanism is quite different. Although it calls itself Satanism too, it has quite a different approach but should be regarded more as a vehicle used for a certain goal. It can be seen as Will to Power in the Nietzschean sense, the becoming, the affirmation of life, the never ending process to become what we are. While American Satanism tends to get stuck in what can be regarded as comfort-zone specialization, European Satanism prefers completion. Man is not just an animal, man is so much more. In some ways it can be seen as, and I know this sounds strange, a philanthropic approach even if most of its ideas and motives are indefensible in our current society. Still, these ideas are aligned with our cultural tradition and the conclusion which logically flows out of the same sources American Satanism based a completely different interpretation upon.

Still, European Satanism is on the rise even when it will hardly attract an as large group as American Satanism but such will always be the case when quality is chosen over quantity.

D.

#40435 - 07/18/10 01:26 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I would be curious to know how you would distinguish between european and american Satanism. From where I am sitting it seems like you are trying to shove what you are describing as american Satanism into too small a box.

It may be so that there are Satanists that stick to the letter of TSB and never expand upon those precepts, but I don't think I've ever actually met one.

I think perhaps you are mistaking the 'houseniggery' (to use your word) exhibited by the CoS for Satanism itself. Gilmore and company aren't too relevant to Satanism outside the CoS borders.

#40446 - 07/18/10 04:12 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Dan_Dread]
TheInsane Offline

Caladrius

Quote:
It hard for me to understand how those LaVeyfags can be stuck in the same stagnant memeplex for over 5 years or more. In 50 years, the memes, ideas, worldviews, of the Satanic Bible has not changed much. I personally take care to keep my PC updated with the latest software versions... and I personally like keeping my brain running on biological software that is current and not some backwards 1960's Satanism version 1.0... but that's just me.

Now I would never express it as “LaVeyfags” but your point is well taken. My biggest problem is that the CoS hasn’t really done anything important at all for years and years but repeats what LaVey wrote and celebrates his birthday and remembers him on the day he passed away. There is no evolution, it is static and unsurprisingly it also reflects in a lot of their members and sympathizers.

Apion:
That may very well be the CoS mindset but for me its baffling how an organization who claims to be the elite and who claims to strive for wisdom don’t feel a need to and want to build upon the foundations they have. I have hardly seen any in depth studies of The Satanic Bibles philosophy from anyone in the CoS. The best studies have been made by people outside of it and if that isn’t ass-backwards I don’t know what is. And for a religion that talks so much about materialism and raves about how they believe in science I find it strange that no one has commented on materialism in relation to modern sub-atomic physics when it seems as of today, as if one is contradictory to the other etc.

Dan_Dread
 Quote:
I am my own god, and free to define language as I see fit. Who agrees and who does not is perfectly irrelevant.

Then you are free to speak to the people who also consider you a god then :P If you intend on changing language as you see fit that’s fine with me but I wonder why you are here discussing things with other people. Language is a matter of symbols that should mean about the same thing to a large amount of people for it to even be understandable. Yes, language changes all the time but you as one person can’t change it yourself – not with great success anyway.
Furthermore I think the “I am a God” kind of thought is one of the main fallacies of LaVeyan Satanism as it is today. First off it often creates an asshole attitude – people thinking they are all that but because of their conviction they don’t realize that they really lack essential wisdom (this is not a personal attack mind you). The second is that if one denies gods it is kind of funny in a sad way that at the same time call oneself a god. Surely the characteristics that define what a god is is not something you have (or me). But maybe you redefine the word god as well to fit your own little world?
I find it great to strive for wisdom – t strive to become as the highest one but I can’t take seriously anyone who claims to already be there.
 Quote:
Active as in, other people are doing it? Why should it matter to me what other people are doing? Why does it matter to you?

Active as in evolving and not stagnating. What other people are doing should matter to you if or when it affects you. You may not see it immediately, and sometimes the consequences lies years into the future but they are equally as important or even more so.
 Quote:
LaVeys material is bedrock to Satanism..it is the root. It is not the whole, but it can never be because of its own nature. As it is an 'inward facing' religion/philosophy, what is built on that bedrock will never be uniform in every Satanist

A bedrock is also the lowest point and only supposed to be the start. The thing is with todays CoS for example is that what is built on that bedrock is indeed almost uniform to every sympathizer. Because if you disagree on anything you’re out (letters to the devil is a prime example of that). Open discussion is not encouraged and certain things seems to be very blasphemic to claim. Not to talk about the amount of repetition and how many use TSB as some Christians use their Bible – picking quotes to “prove” that their position is the right one “because LaVey wrote it”.

Dimitri:
 Quote:
As far as I am concerned, LaVey's Satanism is still valid today as it was 50 years back. He had particular views and ideas who personally resemble mine (as far as I can deduce from the SB, SW and stories told by M.A.A and Jake). But if you think that LaVey's Satanism stopped right there after his works and "legacy" then I have to disagree.

How would you say that LaVeyan Satanism has evolved the past 20 years or so? For me the only thing of real notice that has happened is a more controlling leadership. There is barely anything new in what is published, or what is said publically and I see no evolution whatsoever.

Diavolo:
Fabulous post I must say and I agree with you.
 Quote:
European Satanism is quite different. Although it calls itself Satanism too, it has quite a different approach but should be regarded more as a vehicle used for a certain goal. It can be seen as Will to Power in the Nietzschean sense, the becoming, the affirmation of life, the never ending process to become what we are.

I think this a good start to define the main flows in the Satanic world in Europe contra the US. European Satanism seems more inclined towards action and thought in a Nietzschean sense. It is strife towards an ever changing goal, it is total affirmation of life, feelings and it is struggle but also more open to persectivism.

#40448 - 07/18/10 04:36 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
How would you say that LaVeyan Satanism has evolved the past 20 years or so? For me the only thing of real notice that has happened is a more controlling leadership. There is barely anything new in what is published, or what is said publically and I see no evolution whatsoever.

Satanism hasn't evolved in the sense of new books or littrature being produced or written. The people adhering to it have evolved. Those who started it in the very beginning have aged and gained in experience and knowledge. The interpretations have been deepend and been better understood/evolved and modified.

The 2nd (or is it already the 3rd?) generation of Satanists has different opportunities and chances compared towards the 1st/2nd generation. The need for explanation towards the public is greatly reduced, the need for a central spokesperson or organisation is no longer needed (on the other hand, people with tutoring skills are needed to find seperate the glasshards from the diamonds, more now then ever with the ever-growing communication services).
The ideals and set of mind hasn't changed. The application and attitudes towards life on the other hand have done so greatly.
You should by long have seen and noticed almost anyone here doesn't care about CoS nor see as the real elite they want to represent themselves.

I wonder if you are even paying attention and really do belong here..

Edited by Dimitri (07/18/10 04:42 PM)

#40450 - 07/18/10 05:08 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Dimitri]
TheInsane Offline

Originally Posted By: Dimitri

Satanism hasn't evolved in the sense of new books or littrature being produced or written. The people adhering to it have evolved. Those who started it in the very beginning have aged and gained in experience and knowledge. The interpretations have been deepend and been better understood/evolved and modified.

Well of course but Satanism as a religion or philosophy should produce new documents, writings and other tings of importance. Otherwise every Satanist needs to start from scratch again. And if there is a movement there shoudl be a reason for it and a way to use it as a tool and source for knowledge. Imagine what could have been if the CoS would have actually been serious in doing research and dwell deeper into its own philosophy. I'd imagine some great stuff could come out of that. It might have been as impressive as the Temple of Set (who I do not agree with in regards to metaphysiics for example but who are very impressive as far as an organization goes). Instead the CoS looks like a joke - Im sure thats not what they want.

Quote:
I wonder if you are even paying attention and really do belong here..

What do you mean by belong? Agreeing with you on everything? Then no I dont belong. Why would I want to belong? I am, whether you like it or not, very informed and well-read on Satanism and has been following it for over a decade now.

I understand that my opinions arent comfortable for some of you which is why you drop comments like the one you did above. But even if you dont agree with me, or me with you, serious debate always has the potential for someone to learn something new. And to be honest, from personal experience, the ones you learn the most from are usually the ones you dont agree with. And no, that doesnt mean that you accept what they say but that new knowledge rise from serious debate between people with different views.

And really, if people were to leave this forum because their opinions were in the minority why would anyone want to stick around? Then this would become another "letters to the devil" which I dont think anyone wants. I love the diversity of the 600 club and wouldnt want it any other way.

Quote:

You should by long have seen and noticed almost anyone here doesn't care about CoS nor see as the real elite they want to represent themselves.

Sure, but their mentality is more present here than the amount of people who support their actual organization. Although the same critique can be given to almost any LaVeyan organization of not studying their own teachings but rely on whats already written.

#40453 - 07/18/10 05:53 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
My biggest problem is that the CoS hasn’t really done anything important at all for years and years but repeats what LaVey wrote and celebrates his birthday and remembers him on the day he passed away.

While I have no dog in this fight I must inquire what you think CoS should be doing - more specifically - what "important" things.

Everything in TSB that resonated with me seems just as relevant now as it was when it was written. The "in-depth studies" of TSB should ultimately done by the individual as they read it. One should decide for themselves rather than rely on the essay and/or opinions of another person to form an opinion of it.

The individual is what should grow and evolve. If the philosophy as it exists contributes to that growth then there really is no need to add to or update it. Especially when concerning TSB and the fact that it really isn't a "how to" manual.

If you don't like CoS, don't join. That seems to work just fine for me. And why care if they are doing anything to "further the cause" as if there was a cause to further?

Even if Satanism were to fall by the wayside and no one ever wrote another thing about it; I would still be who I am, doing what I do.

#40455 - 07/18/10 06:28 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Still waiting on your reply to my questions from the previous page yesterday...

What about you?
You state that the CoS should produce important writings for newbies, should be more of a movement, and not so much of a joke.
Why? Are you a member of the CoS? Most people here are not and for various reasons really don't care about the current CoS.

If you want something more in Satanism, or think it should say something more, then just fucking write it already instead of complaining about what other people should be doing.

Its not a matter of your opinions or words, its a matter of you backing them up and paying attention to stuff that is actually written on the board as Dimitri pointed out.

This place is so different in tons of ways from LTTD and the current CoS. I have question if you have read many of the topics or threads here. Hell, about 2 weeks or so ago , I posted to a newbie intro thread about 5 or 6 different threads explaining the difference and reasoning between the 600club and the CoS.

As to just relying on the SB, I have to question you again. There are tons and tons of threads here about books and authors to read up on and use to expand your own personal Satanic knowledge. Lot of people write essays, and books. Aquino wrote a book, I wrote a book. Octavius made videos explaining Satanism. All this information is here and available. You just have to get off your ass, stop complaining about shit not being done or changing and look around the board. Just fucking do something.

I look forward to your essay on those two gentlemen and the affect they had on your satanic development to start with.

Get to work.

Morgan

http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads...=true#Post38246

Edited by Morgan (07/18/10 06:34 PM)
Edit Reason: added bottom link

#40457 - 07/18/10 06:50 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Originally Posted By: 6satan6archist6
Everything in TSB that resonated with me seems just as relevant now as it was when it was written. The "in-depth studies" of TSB should ultimately done by the individual as they read it. One should decide for themselves rather than rely on the essay and/or opinions of another person to form an opinion of it.

The individual is what should grow and evolve. If the philosophy as it exists contributes to that growth then there really is no need to add to or update it. Especially when concerning TSB and the fact that it really isn't a "how to" manual.

This falls in line with the principle of personal responsibility. In the first place, an organization formed around an egocentric philosophy seems ludicrous to me, but that's just my opinion. That's not to say that collaboration is not a worthy endeavor, especially when the most benefit to be gained goes to those most directly involved.

However, it seems to me, TheInsane, that all of this bellyaching about the static state of current Satanism is misplaced. Speaking of personal responsibility, perhaps it's not Satanism that is stagnant, but you? For all of this talk of stagnation, what have you done to progress Satanism?

Homo Homini Lupus

#40462 - 07/18/10 08:11 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: TheInsane

Then you are free to speak to the people who also consider you a god then :P

Point one that makes it seem you have no idea what Satanism is about.

Quote:

If you intend on changing language as you see fit that’s fine with me but I wonder why you are here discussing things with other people. Language is a matter of symbols that should mean about the same thing to a large amount of people for it to even be understandable. Yes, language changes all the time but you as one person can’t change it yourself – not with great success anyway.

Where do you think you are? This isn't a microcosm of the world here, this is a forum for Satanists. I would venture to say those that get it understand me just fine, and those that don't just don't matter anyway. Those types seldom last around here. When did you sign up again? ;\)

Quote:

Furthermore I think the “I am a God” kind of thought is one of the main fallacies of LaVeyan Satanism as it is today. First off it often creates an asshole attitude – people thinking they are all that but because of their conviction they don’t realize that they really lack essential wisdom (this is not a personal attack mind you). The second is that if one denies gods it is kind of funny in a sad way that at the same time call oneself a god.

Holy shit you don't get it at all. Have you even read the Satanic Bible?

Quote:

Surely the characteristics that define what a god is is not something you have (or me). But maybe you redefine the word god as well to fit your own little world?

It's funny that you should be trying to scold me for using language in a non-collectivist way, when in reality the opposite is true. When I talk about Satanism, those I am talking to know what the fuck I am on about. With you, the more you talk the less sense you make. You express complete ignorance of basic Satanic bedock concepts like autotheism, yet have no problem pretending you know what you are talking about. Your version of Satanism seems to be an amorphous blob of whatever you feel like at the moment. What's the point?

Quote:

I find it great to strive for wisdom – t strive to become as the highest one but I can’t take seriously anyone who claims to already be there.

Again, a complete ignorance of what autotheism means in a Satanic context being shown here. You should really go read TSB before you post here again.

Quote:

Active as in evolving and not stagnating. What other people are doing should matter to you if or when it affects you. You may not see it immediately, and sometimes the consequences lies years into the future but they are equally as important or even more so.

How ridiculous. If Satanism isn't for you it isn't for you. The philosophy doesn't evolve, the people practising it do. Again, it seems like you have very little understanding of the source material. If every other person on earth that called themselves a Satanist were to drop dead right now, it wouldn't effect what I am doing with it one whit.

Quote:

A bedrock is also the lowest point and only supposed to be the start. The thing is with todays CoS for example is that what is built on that bedrock is indeed almost uniform to every sympathizer. Because if you disagree on anything you’re out (letters to the devil is a prime example of that). Open discussion is not encouraged and certain things seems to be very blasphemic to claim. Not to talk about the amount of repetition and how many use TSB as some Christians use their Bible – picking quotes to “prove” that their position is the right one “because LaVey wrote it”.

None of this rant really addresses anything said nor leads anywhere useful. The CoS is not Satanism. Who cares?

#40463 - 07/18/10 08:15 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: 6

EXACTLY

The TSB isn't a set of instructions, it's a phenotypical description.

#40487 - 07/19/10 01:51 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: TheInsane]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I do think the main difference between European and American Satanism might indeed be the realization and manipulation of perspectivism. To many of us it is more important what soul a person has and how he accomplishes the goals than to what construct he connects life. In that sense, it is rather trivial if someone wraps his ideas in an atheistic, deistic, theistic, Western, Eastern…etc concept. American Satanism suffers a bit too much from the there can be only one syndrome. Even when different approaches might share many similarities, they often prefer their presents to be wrapped in the same paper. Form tends to be too important.
European Satanism tries to be more open source thought-ware in which form is of lower importance than content. This tolerance for other perspectives of a similar kind makes it much easier to build bridges and try to conquer new territory, which is a necessity because the other major difference is, besides it being an individual approach, it also being highly political. Its Will to Power exceeds the satisfaction of solely conquering the Self. Form is therefor interchangeable because ultimately it is nothing but a means to an end.

I agree however with some remarks that European Satanism might maybe produce more thought-ware. I know work is done by our American brothers and sisters but from the European continent itself most work comes mostly from the same directions. More could be done in public but often several things complicate that for many. We have rich traditions to build bridges between and reach others of our kind, maybe we should exploit that more.

Still, books and writing is nice and dandy but the most important approach still is being viral.

D.

#40488 - 07/19/10 02:03 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Thanks for the explanation Dia. I think your distinction is valid.

As for me, I like form. I like definition. I find it useful.

Like Bruce Lee said in his book, 'The tao of Jeet Kune Do'; The man trained in a system will always be faster and more aware than one who is not. I think this applies to philosophical grounding as well. It is much easier to deal with everything else once you first know where you stand.

I understand your point that there are also advantages to being a chameleon, but I think these can be accomplished by giving the appearance of a chameleon rather than actually changing your metaphorical 'colors'.

#40489 - 07/19/10 02:39 PM Re: Now that we're organized, what next? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I agree that being trained into a system is a faster method than exploring everything oneself. I can vouch for that because most of my own life is based on intuitive choices avoiding everything which even smelled like authority on whatever level. I don't regret this path because those very experiences, good or bad, validate many of my ideas today. I admit however I lost much time coming to a point and conclusions which might have been faster reached when I wouldn't have been such a stubborn guy.

A system, or tradition, can be seen as a shortcut towards a certain goal, no doubt. In martial arts, following the tradition of your Sifu might indeed bring many advantages but my view is about the underlying nature of it. Without going into a debate which martial art is better than the other, I see martial art as a method to reach a goal and as such, what form of martial art you do is not as important as the fact that you do one to reach that goal.

I agree however it is not wise to start swapping from one form to another without having a certain expertise that allows you to do so. But when you have this expertise or pool of possibilities, only what is displayed outside is changing; the metaphorical colors. The inside, or very essence, remains identical and focused towards the same goals.

D.

Page 9 of 17 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.046 seconds of which 0.006 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.