Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#28744 - 08/21/09 04:21 PM I Can't Think of a Title
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

While at the doctor's the other day I picked up a copy of "The Journal of Urgent Care Medicine" to read while I waited and came across piece called "25 Sales and Marketing Pearls" by Frank H. Leone, MBA, MPH.

The job of a salesperson is essentially to convince people to buy things they probably don't need. To do so requires an understanding of psychology not unlike that which can help the Satanist achieve their own goals.

I realize that this is just basic stuff but I am going to post a few of the ones that seemed to most embody the practice of "Lesser Magic":

Quote:
Use euphemisms to convert negative phrases into positives. “You have a problem” should be “You have an opportunity.” “You have a high injury rate” becomes “if we could help lower you injury rate, it would lower your workman’s comp cost.”

Consider the “fear factor.” Recognize the potential importance of a prospect’s parochial interest during a sales encounter. Structure questions to determine where a prospect sits on the “care about my company/ care about myself” continuum and adjust accordingly.

Capitalize on the “herd mentality”. For every early adaptor, there are 10 others who follow the crowd. For every buyer who buys offensively out of desire, there are 10 others who buy defensively out of fear. You can use this understand to your advantage by discerning to what degree your prospect is a defensive buyer and employing a “herd mentality” selling approach when you do identify a buyer.

Emphasize the positive. A positive attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy for success. Respect the prospect’s time, qualify every suggestion (“in my opinion”), guarantee nothing, memorize key points, and never call attention to a negative.

Now those may seem situation specific, but if one changes around the words that make it so, these could be very helpful to the average person in their day to day.

#29129 - 09/01/09 04:48 PM Re: I Can't Think of a Title [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
first, your title sucks.
second.. either you have an amazing memory, or you stole that magazine from the office and should be ashamed because the next person had to read a 6 month old issue of People, and thusly became a little stupider.

basic sales techniques and the books highlighting them have long been a staple in the good satanists library. the quotes you've provided are good ones, and indeed should be absorbed. a little grease never hurt anyone in any social situations, selling something or not.

personally speaking I owe a significant part of my career to my rudimentary grasp of NLP, as well as the numerous books on selling Ive read over the years.
(the 60+ hour work weeks were not a bad idea either)

#29133 - 09/01/09 05:34 PM Re: I Can't Think of a Title [Re: Bacchae]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I know the title sucks, too late to change it now though. C'est La Vie.

No, I did not steal the magazine, what I did do is go to this magazine's website where you can view it an online format. Didn't think of that, did you? \:D

#30042 - 09/25/09 08:44 PM Re: I Can't Think of a Title [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
 Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
No, I did not steal the magazine, what I did do is go to this magazine's website where you can view it an online format. Didn't think of that, did you? \:D
I lol'd. \:D

On topic though, that excerpt you posted is terrific. Think of the endless possibilities. I know I am doing anyway. It's somewhat given me inspiration to try and apply it to certain aspects of my life.

Thanks for posting this nugget of info. \:\)

#32370 - 11/29/09 07:54 AM Re: I Can't Think of a Title [Re: DistroyA]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I try to avoid salesmen for the most part – at least the obvious ones, those literally trying to get me to buy something. It’s nothing personal; I just don’t like being talked into buying things. The best salesmen preached at my church when I was a kid. They would really put on a show, telling me I would burn in hell for not following Jesus. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Although I realize that just about everything in life is a sales pitch of some sort, I generally don’t think of what I do to get ahead in life as selling. I see it more in terms of trading. The difference is that selling, as I see it, seems more one-sided (probably from a lifetime of people trying to sell me things I don’t want). Trading, one the other hand, sounds more mutually beneficial.

It’s a game of semantics, I know. I just don’t like to think of myself as someone who takes advantage of people, particularly where friends and family are concerned. I use magical tactics such as those listed above to the extent that they help me without causing obvious misfortune to others (unless the motherfucker deserved it). It’s what I think of as being a decent human being.

#32543 - 12/04/09 08:20 PM Re: I Can't Think of a Title [Re: William Wright]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I work in sales. Manipulation is my bread and butter. In particular, Sue Knight's book on Neuro-Linguistic Programing has helped me become one of the top salesmen in the northern region. Learn to read people, gain their trust in as little time as possible, play to their vanity and greed, and watch your wallet swell.

(Fuck, it's nice to contribute to a thread for once.)

Octavius

#32546 - 12/04/09 08:31 PM Re: I Can't Think of a Title [Re: Octavius]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
As far as I’m concerned Magic is psychology. A great deal of the many attributes of a good sale’s technique pair up quite nicely with the fundamentals of psychology 101.

I worked for a time share company in Spain, and I can say, I HAVE seen the Devil.

Fuck the term’s magic/ psychology etc , Octavius said it best when he mentioned “manipulation”.

I can’t help but feel that the term “ a rose by any other name would smell as sweet” is applicable. That is to say, Magic, psychology, manipulation etc, they all get the same result.

Human stupidity seems to be the only common denominator.

Edited by Room 101 (12/04/09 08:32 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.