Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#29374 - 09/07/09 11:24 AM Jack Kerouac and On The Road
Truth=Reality Offline
stranger

Loc: Minnesota
On The Road was reviewed by the New York Times at publication as a novel concerned with a spiritually barren and fearful American society. The timing of the book's events in 1950's conservative America probably has a lot to do with that line of thinking. I don't think if the book was first published today it would have the impact it did in 1957. A majority of the initial criticism (and acclaim) of the book dealt with the lifestyle of Kerouac and Neal Cassidy. I think the emphasis now days on the novel would be the ramifications of that type of lifestyle, not so much the lifestyle itself. Both Kerouac and Cassidy died early deaths as a result of addictions. My opinion is the lesson of the book should be that we all have to make a decision on how we live our life compared to why we live our life. Many people consider Kerouac and especially Cassidy as living " Satanic" lifestyles, at least in a loose sense, but neither had the self discipline to rise above what ultimately was their fate.
#75611 - 03/28/13 06:03 PM Re: Jack Kerouac and On The Road [Re: Truth=Reality]
Le Deluge Offline

"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life." ~ Jack Kerouac

Kerouac and Cassidy lived exactly as they wished to. Many authors died young, of addiction, or were destitute. This would include Anton LaVey. It is the work they leave behind that should be analyzed. The beats offered a lot more than cautionary tales against addiction (albeit Ginsberg's "Howl" is a classic.) They also made no mention of Satan that I can recall in text. I do suspect they packed a lot more living into 40? years than most do in 80.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.