Topic Options
#29404 - 09/09/09 01:38 PM Proxemic Magic
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
PROXEMIC MAGIC
Runes #III-4, July 1985
Order of the Trapezoid, Temple of Set

"Magick," Aleister Crowley once wrote, "may be defined as the name given to science by the vulgar." By this he meant that the knowledge and application of obscure scientific principles may very well seem "magical" to an ignorant observer, whether the practitioner be a stage magician or a NASA astrophysicist.

A corollary to this observation is that so-called "magic" [or "Magick"] based upon nothing more than mere superstition or ooga-booga mysticism is objectively useless, meaning that it won't accomplish a damned thing if the person or persons in question are unaware of it. The ooga-booga stuff will work only if the person at whom it is directed (a) knows about the Working and (b) is superstitious enough to believe in it. [Note: The magician should never make the mistake of assuming that another person is not sufficiently superstitious just because that individual protests to that effect. The less people know about the Black Arts, the more they are vulnerable to superstitious reactions to them.]

I cannot overemphasize how important it is that the Black Magician not fool himself or herself in this regard. You are differentiated from White Magicians, among other things, precisely because you aren't scared silly by your own tools, and because you don't deceive yourself as much as - or worse than - the other person. The Black Magician must always know what is happening and be in control of it. If he doesn't know quite what is happening when a given technique is being used, then he approaches that Working in much the same manner as a scientist making a laboratory experiment: He constructs and tests various theories and takes note of such results as may manifest themselves.

To me the foregoing has never seemed like a very difficult principle to grasp. Yet for the better part of twenty years I have been amazed by the number of people - Magicians, and would-be Black Magicians - who have scared themselves [and made themselves look ridiculous in the bargain] by taking some rag-tag superstition from some old grimoire and turning it into a personal idol before which to abase oneself. I like to think that one of the key virtues of the Temple of Set - and the saving grace of the old Church of Satan before it - has been the rejection of self-deceit, which Anton LaVey so accurately labeled "the greatest of all 'sins'".

The focus of this article, like so many Runes articles before it, is upon another aspect of science which is sufficiently obscure to warrant its being venerated as "magic" by the vulgar. Hence it is suitable for practical use by the Black Magician. Because it is based upon objective principles, rather than ooga-booga tosh, moreover, it can be applied successfully whether or not the object of the Working knows about it or believes in it.

In 1966 an anthropologist by the name of Edward T. Hall wrote a very interesting book entitled The Hidden Dimension (Garden City: Doubleday & Co.), whose central theme, he said, was "social and personal space and man's perception of it. 'Proxemics' is the term I have coined for the interrelated observations and theories of man's use of space as a specialized elaboration of culture." Hall elaborates on his thesis thus:

Quote:
It has long been believed that experience is what all men share, that it is always possible somehow to bypass language and culture and refer back to experience in order to reach another human being. This implicit - and often explicit - belief concerning man's relation to experience was based on the assumptions that, when two human beings are subject to the same 'experience', virtually the same data are being fed to the two central nervous systems and that the two brains record similarly.

Proxemic research casts serious doubt on the validity of this assumption, particularly when the cultures are different. People from different cultures not only speak different languages but, what is possibly more important, inhabit different sensory worlds. Selective screening of sensory data admits some things while filtering out others, so that experience as it is perceived through one set of culturally patterned sensory screens is quite different from experience perceived through another. The architectural and urban environments that people create are expressions of this filtering-screening process. In fact, from these man-altered environments, it is possible to learn how different people use their senses. Experience cannot therefore be counted on as a stable point of reference, because it occurs in a setting that has been molded by man.

Hall begins his study with a discussion of the mechanics of distance regulation, first between animals, then between humans. "Flight distance" (FD) is the point at which an animal will flee when approached by a potential enemy: for example 500 yards for an antelope and 6 feet for a lizard. If you manage to approach too closely within FD, you will encounter "critical distance" (CD), wherein the animal feels so threatened that it will begin to stalk or fight. The famous Swiss animal psychologist H. Hediger offers one illustration:

Quote:
A lion in a zoo will flee from an approaching man until it meets an insurmountable barrier. If the man continues the approach, he soon penetrates the lion's CD, at which point the cornered lion reverses direction and begins to stalk the man. In the classical animal act in the circus, the lion's stalking is so deliberate that he will surmount an intervening obstacle such as a stool in order to get at the man. To get the lion to remain on the stool, the lion-tamer quickly steps beyond the CD. At this point the lion stops pursuing. The trainer's elaborate 'protective' devices - the chair, the whip, or the gun - are so much window-dressing.

Human beings are also subject to FD/CD stimuli, as well as to an intermediate condition which Hediger terms "personal and social distance" (PSD). We have a variety of physical sensors by which we make such subconscious decisions: sight, hearing, and smell at a distance; and touch up close. In some cultures, people are accustomed to being within the smell-radius of others, for example - and in fact judge moods, class, and relationships in part on olfactory impressions. In other cultures, such as that of the U.S., we are repelled by the scent of anyone except those with whom we are personally intimate. This simple fact may identify an invisible yet powerful barrier against American rapport with various mid-eastern cultures.

Japanese culture emphasizes the "stretching of visual space", as in gardens (wherein steps along paths or stepping-stones must be individually picked with care) or in rooms (where furniture tends to be arranged in the middle rather than near or against the walls). To the Westerner, a Japanese environment often appears "open" and "spacious" even if the physical dimensions involved are no greater than those in a Western home or office.

In public spaces and conveyances, on the other hand, orientals and Arabs have a much higher tolerance for crowding than do Westerners. Observe the behavior of mixed ethnic groups on a crowded subway or bus and see for yourself. [Hall theorizes that the increased attention to personal living-area spaciousness by the Japanese may be in the nature of a partial compensation for this.]

The human skin's ability both to transmit and to sense emotional states is greater than most people know. Anger or embarrassment triggers blushing, for example, but it also increases the blood supply to various parts of the body, causing [among other things] a subtle swelling of the forehead and temples, and a resultant rise in skin temperature in those areas. Observers can detect such changes by skin-based thermal detectors, by more intense olfactory sensation (smell), and by visual impact. Some women interviewed by Hall commented that changes in the bodily temperature and odor of dancing partners, for example, were reliable advance-signs of lust, anger, etc. - long before the male in question would speak or act accordingly. Crowley, in addition to his skill in recognition of visual signals ["Give me the sign of the Open Eye"], was similarly a student of space- and smell-based behavior. His subtle use of these techniques astonished many an onlooker, who might well credit the results to the supernatural. [Cf. William Seabrook's account of Crowley's "magical" trip-up of a pedestrian. The Beast merely intruded on his victim's auditory space.]

Heat and space-perception are related. People in a cool, crowded room will not feel as cramped as the same number of people in a similar-sized room which happens to be hot. Whether or not you see or hear other persons, your heat-sensors will react to them if you are close enough. [To sample your own heat-radiation sensitivity, place the back of your hand close to your lips. Both generate a high level of heat. Then move your hand up and down in front of your face. Also try near-skin experiments with another person, particularly "out of eyesight". You may be surprised at the results.]

Photographs and paintings of individuals create an immediate attitude-impression in a viewer depending upon whether they place him or her in FC/FD of the subject. [Try looking at people in "close" or "distant" pictures and see how you react. Also try viewing both types of pictures from near and distant positions.] Maurice Grosser, in The Painter's Eye (NY: Rinehart & Co.) states:

Quote:
Four to eight feet is the portrait distance: Here the painter is near enough so that his eyes have no trouble in understanding the sitter's solid forms, yet he is far enough away so that the foreshortening of the forms presents him no real problems. Here, at the normal distance of social intimacy and easy conversation, the soul of the sitter begins to appear. Nearer than three feet, within touching distance, the soul is far too much in evidence for any sort of disinterested observation. Three feet is the sculptor's working distance, not the painter's. The sculptor must stand near enough to his model to be able to judge forms by sense of touch.

The next time you visit a museum which contains statuary from several historical cultures, try to sense (a) from what distance the sculptor wrought a particular statue, and (b) from what distance he intended that it be viewed - and why. Note that Egyptian statuary tends to focus on the soul or psyche, Greek statuary on the physical ideal of beauty, and Roman on the physical reality of individuals. Once you perceive these interrelated "filters", you will begin to understand why these images affect you in the way they do - and which you couldn't previously explain on a conscious level.

Perspective in painting was re-discovered at the time of the Renaissance, enabling the viewer to focus on various parts of a painting and see them proportionately represented. A peculiarity of Rembrandt's style is that he painted "stationary visual fields", such that by focusing on a portrait's central feature you will see the entire portrait in the same clarity/lack of clarity as you would standing before the individual in question and observing him/her with your foveal, macular, and peripheral vision.

The conclusion to be drawn from all this is that the "boundary" of each human being does not end with the skin. Each individual possesses an unseen "personal field" - or rather variety of situational fields - which constitutes his or her true "boundary". The magician who succeeds in controlling or altering another individual's "personal field" thus controls or alters that person just as assuredly as though he were able to control his conscious personality.

Hall's bete noir is the contemporary city, which he views as an absolute disaster for human spatial psychology. The more you jam people together, the more psychotic and antagonistic their behavior will become, due to intrusions within and disruptions of their personal fields. When high-density is disguised by sensory screens and barriers (such as apartment living), people become lethargic and stupid. The civilization of man has significantly muffled his FD reaction, enabling him to tolerate others within his FD radius. But if he is made fearful of others, the FD instinct can suddenly reassert itself with explosive force, resulting in the sheer savagery of inner-city crime and rioting unknown in more open environments. Hall concludes:

Quote:
Man and his extensions constitute one interrelated system. It is a mistake of the greatest magnitude to act as though man were one thing and his house or his cities, his technology or his language were something else. Because of the interrelationship between man and his extensions, it behooves us to pay much more attention to what kinds of extensions we create, not only for ourselves but for others for whom they may be ill-suited. The relationship of man to his extensions is simply a continuation and a specialized form of the relationship of organisms in general to their environment. However, when an organ or process becomes extended, evolution speeds up at such a rate that it is possible for the extension to take over. This is what we see in our cities and in automation. This is what Norbert Wiener was talking about when he foresaw dangers in the computer, a specialized extension of man's brain. Because extensions are numb - and often dumb as well - it is necessary to build feedback/research into them so that we can know what is happening, particularly in regard to extensions that mold or substitute for the natural environment.

#29414 - 09/09/09 07:09 PM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
You cover a lot of different points.
Some I agree with, some I don't.

A true Magician doesn't see magic in terms of black or white. He sees what is necessary to do, and does it. He makes his decisions based upon what he "feels" inside is necessary. He does not buy into some namby-pandy rule of three or fear of karma, but is aware of things so as to see the possible outcomes of any action taken.

As to personal experiences, everyone is different. An individual's brain, emotional, intelligence, awareness, and personal courage is never the same as anyone else. Due to this, my experiences may be the same as yours but we will see and feel things completely different.

Granted if you can understand this, and make it work for you, manipulation of people will certainly be much easier. You can know how to push the right buttons and while it may seem like magic to some, you just know how to read them and make them dance.

American culture is different than other cultures. We are an amalgamation of every culture. This place was founded by those who wanted something more and did something about it. That internal drive is there, and since it is not fully utilizes causes us to appear and act as bully's in the world political mess. We know about other cultures, but we just don't care. This is meant on a wide level, not an individual level.

Maybe American's are the last wild animal's. We like our personal space, we like the smell of our own pack, and we don't like to be crowded or pushed or cornered. We will fight back whenever we feel threatened.

I don't see how the perspective in a work of art relates to how people interact. Especially now since you can view art in museaums at different feet/angles/distances as well as view it upon the internet and zoom in to a small area or zoom out to see it as an icon next to a name. I can understand how an image may affect an individual personal senses but that is different.

I also don't agree that living in an apartment may make you stupid. Hell, Bush lived in the Whitehouse for 8 years and that sure as hell didn't make him any brighter. Some people are just stupid, and no amount of education, or where they live will change that.

Computers are a tool, you use them. You don't let any tool control you, if you do its an addiction.

Morgan

#34394 - 01/22/10 11:43 AM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
As has become the norm after reading your writing, I feel a bit like I've been drinking from a fire hose. This is both good and bad as in both cases I realize that there is so much to the world that I haven't really considered with the proper due diligence.

Originally Posted By: Dr.Aquino

The more you jam people together, the more psychotic and antagonistic their behavior will become, due to intrusions within and disruptions of their personal fields. When high-density is disguised by sensory screens and barriers (such as apartment living), people become lethargic and stupid.

This part reminds me of Roman Polanski's loose trilogy on the general subject of the stifling effects of close quarter living. Of the three (Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, Repulsion) I do have a favorite but I can't really pick which one illustrates the point best as they all do it well.

Other than that I don't have much to add other than to thank you for posting this as the ideas herein contain much food for thought.

I was happy to see that Hall's book, The Hidden Dimension is available via Amazon. I've ordered it and after reading will hopefully have something of more value to add.

Thanks again!

Edited by Fnord (01/22/10 11:44 AM)

#34398 - 01/22/10 03:48 PM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Fnord
I was happy to see that Hall's book, The Hidden Dimension is available via Amazon. I've ordered it and after reading will hopefully have something of more value to add.

I originally discovered that gem in the library of the JFK Center while assigned there. [The peculiar shape of the lamp on its patch, by the way, comes from the Greek letter psi, connoting of course "mind warfare". We all called it "the flaming pisspot".]

Proxemics came up most recently when I was asked about the goat-staring-experiments shown in The Men Who Stare At Goats, in which my friend Col. John Alexander was played by George Clooney. What was really going on was not mind-over-goat ESP, but rather FD/CD proxemics as discussed here. "Try that with a gentle domestic animal like a goat and you get that submission-reaction," I said. "Try it with a wild tiger or a wolf, on the other hand, and he'll kick your ass." [I visit with wolf packs occasionally, and the first thing you learn is to not make sustained eye contact.]

This is a piece of vintage environmental Lesser Black Magic (LBM). All sorts of interesting fields having to do with sound, color, light, smell, time-of-day & other cycles, etc. And you thought you were in absolute, discretionary control of your own thought-processes? I better stop before the mind-control conspiracy freaks get worked up again ...

#35308 - 02/09/10 10:29 AM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Okay, I've finally received both books, The Hidden Dimension & Cycles of Heaven and will start on them this weekend.

This bit of conversation reminded me of your background which in turn reminded me that I've always wanted to ask you what you thought about Ingo Swann's Stargate Project? I've read a few of his works as well as Lyn Buchanan's Seventh Sense, but could never see the fire through the smoke (if the fire ever existed).

Do you think RV has any credibility at all? For a while one of those trained under Swann (Aaron Donahue, Luciferian) claimed to be winning the lottery with remote viewing but he's sort of dropped off of the public radar. Either he's fantastically rich now or his BS has been called... not sure which.

Anyway, any thoughts you might want to share on the subject would be most appreciated!

#35318 - 02/09/10 01:31 PM Project Star Gate [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

I've always wanted to ask you what you thought about Ingo Swann's Stargate Project?

Here you go! \:\)

#35319 - 02/09/10 02:08 PM Re: Project Star Gate [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Well I kinda feel like a dummy! I can't believe I never noticed that document before.

Thank you, as ever, for the reply.

I just noticed the document about proxemics and a few others I hadn't seen on your site before. Guess I was too busy scrolling to the CoS and ToS documents.

off the subject a little, you discuss visual resonance and then later reaching the conscious mind for opinion or behavior modification. What do you think about hypnosis?

Great essay, btw, answered all of my questions.

#35364 - 02/09/10 09:56 PM Hypnosis [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

What do you think about hypnosis?

Haven't studied it enough to have an educated opinion. Never been hypnotized nor tried to hypnotize anyone. Stage magic H is the usual trickery; "psychotherapeutic" H is the usual bullshit. Apart from these, there are certainly visual stimuli which could screw up your coherence, but I don't think that would necessarily make you suggestible or controllable a la the "Manchurian Candidate".

#37489 - 04/10/10 06:25 AM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I am running a touch late on this one, but I wanted to add something here.

There must be a tremendous amount of Greater and Lesser Magical knowledge locked up inside both Orders of the Trapezoid – both in The Church and in The Temple. Years of Carnie cold reading skills; of political science; of PSYOP’s; of careful and thorough study of LHP occult works; and just well pin - pointed general studies surely have led to a veritable goldmine in Greater and Lesser magical tactics.

I remember the first time I read The Compleat Witch and studied the physical typing system of the Synthesiser Clock and the personality description which accompanied it. It came across as a valuable and useful system, which the competent witch could use to control and manipulate a target, but more than that it was a piece of writing which had been well researched and was based on a large collection of works about the human animal.

Then there is this post of Dr. Aquino’s, which also draws on other scholarship in order to flesh out and establish a new angle or approach for magical operations.

It seems to me that Dr LaVey and Dr. Aquino’s magic is certainly of a different order than anything being offered by the right hand side. There seems to be no mysticism or cloudy judgement or lack of a reasonable knowledge base.

Instead there is clear perception and real competence based on prior results, and informed by a thorough knowledge of the potential target from a variety of perspectives. There is a real approach with sound principles, based on sound scholarship.

LaVey must have had a level of perception which was almost frightening to the average person and I imagine that he would have been the sort of person who carefully calculated everything.

I want this knowledge – the Dr’s are fucking geniuses.

#37562 - 04/13/10 05:51 AM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: the earthly duck]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
You are 19 years old.
Stop being a baby, and afraid of being labeled a snitch.
If you are being threatened notify the police.
Get them involved, file a report, keep records.
Get an order of protection against individuals.

Look at what you may be doing to put yourself and family in such a tight spot.
Do you dress like jailbait with pants low around your ass.
Do you flash big gold jewlery?
Do you or your friends sell drugs?
Are you or your friends involved in a rival gang?
Do you hang out all night in one of their hang out spots?

Get a job, move, and take yourself out of the situations whereby you come into contact with them.

Morgan

#37582 - 04/13/10 10:34 PM Re: The Satanic Muse [Re: the earthly duck]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
"Fight for a world that will no longer criticize anyone for their difference in belief, morals, and even diversity in that person’s choice in sexual orientation". (the earthly duck)

Well, excuse me but I want no part of a world that regards criticism as unacceptable. I believe I have an absolute right to inform myself of what is going on around me and criticize it as much and as thoroughly as I wish. I personally find the Westboro Baptist Church's abuse of small children by making them carry homophobic placards at dead soldiers' funerals morally abhorrent and would be quite happy to tell them so, if it were not such a waste of time and energy. I dislike a lot of other human choices, too - cruelty to animals, drunk driving and stupidity being just a few. I suspect that the majority of other posters here would not welcome a world where we are all supposed to love one another without exception, too otherwise they would hardly define as Satanists.
Incidentally, how can sexual orientation be a "choice"? To act upon a sexual desire necessarily involves choice but surely an orientation is just that.

#37587 - 04/14/10 01:18 AM Re: The Satanic Muse [Re: felixgarnet]
Doomsage680 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
@Felix,
not to detract from the main theme of this thread too much, but I was arguing with my theist friends this weekend and I do believe you have quite summed up the difference between people of moderate religious belief who maintain that faith is harmless and strong atheists who believe theism should be done away with and are not afraid to say it when asked-
"Fight for a world that will no longer criticize anyone for their difference in belief" vs.
"I want no part of a world that regards criticism as unacceptable. I believe I have an absolute right to inform myself of what is going on around me and criticize it as much and as thoroughly as I wish."

Thank you. In the wake of such unabashed ignorance, I find solace in your statement here as well as Ayn Rand's, "The Truth is not for all Men, but only for those who seek it." Threw that one in the high school yearbook.

#37605 - 04/14/10 09:01 PM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Yes I agree, let’s return to the original purpose of this thread.

I wanted to sum up Dr. Aquino’s article and make some comments and then briefly add something of my own to enlarge the consequences of this thread.

There are a number of points to be initially digested from the article:

• The “miraculous” effects of obscure (but yet objectively valid) aspects or principles of science may be regarded as magic by ignorant people.

• “Magic” or “Magick,” on the other hand, which is based on mysticism or superstition, is objectively useless unless the target is aware of the magical working and is superstitious enough to believe in it.

• The successful black magician must be highly proficient at using and choosing his or her tools and predicting the effect or outcome the tools will have when employed. Fear of tools and self – deceit are to be avoided at all costs. Calculation is the key and knowledge of the way the target ticks is essential: the magician should select the tool which best suits the target and the outcome to be achieved.

“The focus of this article, like so many Runes articles before it, is upon another aspect of science which is sufficiently obscure to warrant its being venerated as “magic” by the vulgar. Hence it is suitable for practical use by the Black magician. Because it is based upon objective principles, rather than ooga - booga tosh, moreover, it can be applied successfully whether or not the object of the working knows about it or believes in it.”

It seems to me that the functioning of magic or rather the way magic works, which is described in this article, is of a different order than the so called common definition of magic or the definition which functioned in the RHP during earlier periods of time. The great value of being a Black Magician is studying and employing Lesser Magic, which I believe Dr. Aquino is primarily looking at here in his article.

Pragmatism, or the calculation of the outcome to be achieved and the means used to achieve it is a primary consideration. The psychological makeup of the target is taken into account as well. The success of the working is guaranteed by the scientific validity or objectivity of the principles which underpin it and the successful employment of those principles in the specific magical performance.

This magic takes into account the fact that real human animals occupy a real material world, and that both human animal and world conform to objectively valid laws or knowledge, which can and should be studied, and then used to determine or rather structure magical performances, which then successfully determine the course of the targets actions and reactions and hence events in the magicians favour.

Mysticism is only useful if others believe in it and that belief allows them to be manipulated by the cool and detached magician. Mysticism has no intrinsic value as it is not based on objective principles.

One of my favourite books is Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault.

This book is an attempt to write an archaeology of the rise and methodology of the mode of power known as disciplinary power and its place or function within western modernity.

One of the most prominent features of this disciplinary power besides the examination and the focusing, ordering, normalising and correcting of multiplicities is the all pervasive surveillance which underpins and makes possible its cold calculation and detailed procedures.

The Panopticon, developed and promoted by Bentham, is an ideal model for surveillance. What is important is the way the Panoptic model with its surveillance relation and the issue of visibility and space and the political theory of architecture became important and the way it infiltrated schools, workplaces, hospitals, prisons, the family home etc. and then had a cool and corrective effect on the body and hence on subjectivity or sense of self.

“The magician who succeeds in controlling or altering another individual’s “personal field” thus controls or alters that person just as assuredly as though he were able to control his conscious personality.”

I would add to this by saying that the magician who succeeds in understanding space and the way space has been and can still be used to survey, know and control the individual is employing some very powerful magic.

I recommend Foucault’s book to you as a worthy addition to your black magical knowledge and practice.

#37659 - 04/16/10 08:45 AM Re: Proxemic Magic [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I just wanted to add some additional thoughts on this by addressing the notion of Proxemic’s more directly and bringing in Foucault and demonstrating how his work carves its own place next to Proxemic’s.

Proxemic’s is defined as a term “…coined for the interrelated observations and theories of man's use of space as a specialized elaboration of culture."

Dr. Aquino has identified three basic components in Hall’s book, which are mentioned in the above article:

· Individuals from different cultural backgrounds do not experience in the same way, rather a person’s cultural background plays a determining role in what is sensed and what is not sensed, and structures the individual’s perception and experience, including space.
· Human beings possess distance fields or zones and these fields or zones are culturally constructed or influenced as well. The notions of Flight Distance (FD), Critical Distance (CD), and Personal and Social Distance (PSD) are mentioned.
· Human boundaries do not end with the skin. I can be found beyond myself, beyond my body and in my extensions, through the interrelations between myself and my extensions, in my personal and social distance. “Man and his extensions constitute one interrelated system. It is a mistake of the greatest magnitude to act as though man were one thing and his house or his cities, his technology or his language were something else.”

Hall’s book was written in 1966. In 1975 Foucault published Discipline and Punish.

The question of space and clear sight and knowledge of an objectified and isolated subject became of primary importance within western modernity from the 18th century onwards. This new form of organising and defining space as a space of surveillance and hence of calculation and of recording became the ground from which a new system was born.

This systems priority was to organise and to induce productive forces at the smallest possible expense and as continuously as possible, according to Foucault. Historically this system has been tremendously successful and has formed the backbone of the capitalist enterprise, the maintenance of institutions and quite possibly the core of subjectivity.

The majority of people in the western world function productively within workplaces, many of them in offices, which have been quite deliberately designed to be spaces where surveillance and clear sight can take place and hence where the tactics of discipline such as the examination and the maintenance of order are constantly functioning or being prepared or implemented.

Distance fields are real and I believe that human extensions are real. The type of space that these types of fields and human extensions exist within, in our western culture, tends to be the disciplinary site of the Panopticon in all its fluid and less than ideal forms.

Very few people can clearly articulate why they are what they are and understand the powerful role of disciplinary space and Proxemic’s in their lives and the very formation of their subjectivity. This may be a useful knowledge for the black magician to possess. I would certainly like to explore this more.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.034 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.