Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3024 - 12/31/07 11:20 AM Basic Internet Security
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Basic Internet Security

It has been close to two years since I have been an avid gamer, but perhaps what I learned could help someone still…

Browsers…

When choosing a browser I myself think firefox wins hands down due to ease of use… Safari deserves a mention here also but when I tried it, it was clearly a browser for those more advanced users… I will say that it was very fast…

Internet Explorer is what is left… My cousin swears by it and would not change, myself I cannot stand it… I use it only in situations where I need to access a Micro$oft page… Other than that IE is the least used program in my system…

Firewalls…

When there were many firewalls up and coming one freeware program has always stood out from the rest… Zonealarm… With firewalls being so popular now I would imagine that somebody else might have it right by now… Turn off XP’s built in firewall it is not protecting you…

Test your firewall with LeakTest now…

This and other useful programs can be had here at Gibson Research Corporation

Free Zonealarm here…

Anti-virus…

On anti-virus programs and Norton… I myself used Norton system works for a long while and got many viruses… Once switching to free AVG I have had very few problems and all have been fairly easy to remove…

Free AVG

Warning: Running two anti-virus programs together is asking for trouble… Before you remove any anti-virus program search in Google how best to remove it…

Anti-Spyware…

Ad-Aware is the first tool at hand, I also use ewido which is now known as AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
and a small program called hijack this

Warning: through use of these tools you can destroy your install of windows… Do not use anything if you question it… Understand what you are about to do before you do it…

Something else that deserves mention is your online behavior and being overprotected and paranoid but I do not have time to give those subjects the depth they deserve right now… Perhaps another time, another post…

~T~

#3034 - 12/31/07 02:19 PM Re: Basic Internet Security [Re: ta2zz]
Knothead Offline
stranger

Avast Antivirus is also a very good--and free--antivirus program. Stay away from Norton or McAfee, there's very little "security" to be had with any of those and they bog down your system.

Spybot is a much better anti-spyware IMHO, but their latest version is somewhat of a resource hog. Ad-Aware doesn't have any resident protection. Windows Defender is OK, and it's the easiest thing for basic users to deal with, but not as good as Spybot and you must have XP or Vista.

Eh, Mozilla FireHype... I really don't get the stigma around this one, and from people who should know better, too.

#3037 - 12/31/07 03:05 PM Re: Basic Internet Security [Re: Knothead]
blackdragon31560 Offline
pledge

Loc: Hell Paso, TX
Well for browsers FireFox is good, with adblockplus and no script addons. plus they have nice youtube and google video downloaders.

a must p2p user's, a good IP blocker PeerGuardian and ProtoWall

Edited by blackdragon31560 (12/31/07 03:06 PM)

~ Niccolo Machiavelli

#3039 - 12/31/07 03:35 PM Re: Basic Internet Security [Re: blackdragon31560]
Knothead Offline
stranger

I like PG2 but the report it's not Vista compatible yet (it's still in beta). Haven't tried out Protowall yet.
#3047 - 12/31/07 07:50 PM Re: Basic Internet Security [Re: Knothead]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: Knothead
Eh, Mozilla FireHype... I really don't get the stigma around this one, and from people who should know better, too.

My experience is I have infected my computer with shit simply by opening IE... Stop I know the infection was already there but it was not activated until IE opened...

Firefox is free, as safe as IE, and is not owned by Micro$$oft, and in that one case it did not activate that damn virus like IE did......

I forgot to mention Spybot search and destroy which is another tool I use... Thank you for pointing it out...

As far as resident protection as a former gamer everything I run is done manually... Nothing accesses the internet until I tell it to do so... Nothing but critical programs run in the background at any given time...

My email does not even get checked without me pressing a button... This falls under the topic of web/computer behavior which I was saving for another thread...

~T~

Edited by ta2zz (12/31/07 07:53 PM)
Edit Reason: #7

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.