Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#33407 - 12/30/09 09:24 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Fist]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Well said Fist, that sums up my position on this matter as well.

I don't see Satanism as some sort of journey to become something else, or as some sort of life changing experience. Anyone can pick up TSB and become a follower of Satanism, striving to change their behaviors to mimic what LaVey is describing. I would say, however, that a follower of Satan and a Satanist are not necessarily one and the same.

A Satanist is already working at pushing his limits and exploring his boundaries, taking nothing on faith and questioning everything long before he ever reads anything LaVey described. Satanists don't need to be followers of Satanism for the same reason a lion doesn't need to read national geographic to know what to hunt.

#33458 - 01/01/10 09:18 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
I was raised a Catholic, but I don't believe in that stuff any more. Today I'm on the bus and some bored again christian with whiskey on his breath tries to convert me. Seems seeing my Pentagram ring was enough evidence for him to give me his snake oil routine. I calmly explained to him that I just don't believe in his god, and further went on to tell him that his Bible was written by people with an agenda. I used to get pissed off about this. People go around wearing crosses from their necks, I don't go bothering them about it. I like my ring. I'm wearing it. I made the guy look like an idiot and I didn't get one feather of mine out of place.
#33471 - 01/02/10 09:11 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: coelentrate]
Anne Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
I cant say fully if my personality changed, when I confirmed to satanisme, because I was going through changes in my life anyhow, so I believe I would still be this personality, however I do have a comfort in satanisme and I rest better in myself then I have before, as if I got the answers to unspoken questions that i've asked for years.
Satanisme have given me a guideline how to deal with problems which I can then better overcome, than I could before.

Well yeh, I guess it did change me to a happier, more pleasent and relaxed person.

#33472 - 01/02/10 09:50 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Anne]
GillesdeRais Offline

Is it just me? Or are the rest of you all glad Fist is out there looking out for us? TYFYS Fist! ;\)

#33475 - 01/02/10 11:05 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: GillesdeRais]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Ah, thanks?

We already have a thread on this Gilles.

http://www.the600club.com/topic31664-1.html

As long as the check comes on the 1st and the 15th you have nothing to worry about.

#33487 - 01/02/10 06:37 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: GillesdeRais]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Ah, but Gilles...did Fist ever say he was looking out for YOU in particular? ;\) Fist, thank you for providing the "Guilt" link for him to pore over.

#33580 - 01/05/10 04:46 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Fist]
GillesdeRais Offline

Sorry for caring! But, do you have a thread on this?

#33613 - 01/06/10 10:24 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: coelentrate]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: coelentrate
When you realized you were a Satanist, did it change your personality? If not, did it change the way you talk or act?

Becoming conscious of certain convictions caused me to weed my inner garden a bit. I pulled out and discarded any non-empirical, non-materialistic, non-Atheist, non-Satanic thought processes that had snuck into my mental environment when I wasn't looking. I don't think any of this was visible to other people.

#33628 - 01/07/10 05:39 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Aneres Offline
lurker

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Is it okay if I find myself turning to subjects such as Satanism as a tool to help affect a purposeful change in my personality?

For years I have read philosophies and carried what I thought were 'beliefs' that I find as I grow older I 'know' but do not 'live'. I am struggling to truly identify with the things I've always felt I identified with. I have to find a way to put into practice the mental and emotional attitudes I know would be healthy for me.

Most of the people around me tell me I am 'all about me'. While inside myself I feel I am the least important person. I want to learn to actually be self-important and stop being so giving to those who do not return the efforts. I am hoping, with continued study and interaction with others who may be more experienced with these subjects, to broaden my understanding of myself.

I am curious and honestly apprehensive about how any declaration of 'I'm a Satanist' would change the way those around me behave toward me. I'm afraid to lose friends or have coworkers suddenly ostracize me if I wear a baphomet or am seen reading something with Satanic titles/imagery. This is a fear I'd like to get over, whether such bigotry is shown to me or not.

So in essence, I am hoping TO discover myself as a Satanist.

As my first post, I'd like to say hello and apologize for jumping into here instead of the welcome thread first, the question in this topic is practically the reason I came to this community. Thank you.

#33639 - 01/07/10 07:53 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Aneres]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I think that's the problem a lot of people have, that they try to "fit" into someone else's preconceived idea of how one should live their life. Just look at the dozens of Christian sects that span the globe. Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Baptist--I'd have to look the rest of them up on line to be able to list them all. Those are all instances of a small group of people (sometimes just one of them, like King Henry the 8th) who didn't like some of the rules they had to follow, and decided to start his own to fit THEIR needs.

So while you are certainly free to use Satanic precepts any way you see fit, by no means should you pressure yourself to adhere to any "label". It's like trying to cram a square box into a round hole.

I operate under the title of "Satanist", but would not lose sleep if one day I decided to drop it and cease to use to any sort of label for myself. Very few on this site are "religious" (pardon the pun) about keeping to LaVey's brand of Satanism in their every day lives. We don't say 50 Hail Satans when we forgo smashing our enemy on the cheek, or any other sort of penitence. That implies some sort of guilt trip, and who the hell wants THAT guiding their lives? If we did, we'd all still be Christians.

#33641 - 01/07/10 08:31 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Nemesis]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

Loc: Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria...
From what I've read of the Satanic Bible (most of it- I'm up to the Enochian Keys) a Satanist who also happens to be a Star Wars fan can get away with calling themselves a Sith.

At the end of the day labels are for jars.

#33642 - 01/07/10 08:51 AM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Nemesis]
Aneres Offline
lurker

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I understand that a label is just that, a label that does not neccessarily describe its contents. I think what I'm saying is that I'm trying to break a lot of the preconceieved notions I have about 'how to live' by identifying which notions are ones that hold me back.

I've recently begun to look at my preconceived notions regarding what constitutes a 'good person'. I look at myself and my capacity for compassion and have begin to see how it has held me back, allowing others to benefit from my emotional investments while getting little in return. I think one of my preconcieved notions was that I should have NO label, thus never offending anybody, repressing my own self-expression for the sake of 'tact' or just to not rock the boat. At this point in my life I'd kind of like to pick a label I can be proud of for my own reasons and use it to help me self-identify.

So far Satanism has taught me it's okay to appreciate feeling things. That can easily include enjoying the feeling of identifying with a name/community/religion/culture.

I suppose it's all in what one does with the label. I want the label for myself, rather than others to see. And with that statement I realize just how important and unimportant that label actually is, and also how insignificant my input here actually is because I answered my own question.

I am eager to learn. Perhaps that's the biggest personality change of all, and I guess I couldnt pinpoint whether 'realizing I was a Satanist' came before or after that. In fact I'd say (because I am often self depreciating) that I have not yet the right to call myself 'a Satanist' yet. I don't nearly have the knowledge I feel I would need.

#33648 - 01/07/10 03:21 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Nemesis]
GillesdeRais Offline

Quote:
I think that's the problem a lot of people have, that they try to "fit" into someone else's preconceived idea of how one should live their life

That's the whole trick, isn't it? ;\)

#33649 - 01/07/10 03:29 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: Aneres]
GillesdeRais Offline

Quote:
So far Satanism has taught me it's okay to appreciate feeling things

Man! Don't confuse a philosophy with masturbation. BTW - Say hi to your mom from me! ;\)

#33665 - 01/07/10 07:30 PM Re: Did your personality change? [Re: GillesdeRais]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: GillesdeRais

Man! Don't confuse a philosophy with masturbation. BTW - Say hi to your mom from me! ;\)

One more attempt on "amusing" one-liners, and you will realize yourself.
A partially erased footnote...

First and last warning.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.