Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#30550 - 10/16/09 05:33 PM Louisiana judge turns away interracial couple
Maxim D Offline
stranger

Loc: Portland, Oregon, United State...
This made me laugh:

A louisiana justice of the peace has refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple, citing concerns about the children they might have. Full story
here
Keith Bardwell is a justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana. He states that he is not a racist, that he 'just doesn't believe in mixing the races that way.' He says that he does marriage ceremonies at his home for both black and white couples, and claims that 'he sees no problem with that.' He claims the black society will not accept white children, and vice versa for whites. He also claims to have black friends as well as white friends, and that he sees everyone as equal. He claims to have refused marriage licenses to four interracial couples in the past 2 1/2 years.
Beth Humphrey and Terence McKay, the couple in question, say they are filing a complaint with the U.S. Justice department for discrimination. Humphrey said she called Bardwell Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed, saying that Bardwell's wife told her that he would not sign a license for an interracial couple. The couple was told to go to another justice of the peace who would agree to marry them.
All this, of course after a 1967 Supreme court ruling that "the government cannot tell people who to marry" based on race. The ACLU has now gotten involved, sending a recommendation to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, recommending that Bardwell be investigated.

Personally, IMO that the government has no right, and that you don't need to be married to have children anyway (duh). While I myself am not attracted to black people (sorry sexual racist). However, I wouldn't want anyone telling me not to or that I couldn't marry who I wanted to- (Example: If I were to fall in love with an asian). In fact, there is (was) an interracial couple in my extended family, and a black child, who is completely loved an accepted by the rest of the family. The black father is gone. (IMO he's just a dirtbag and dirtbags come in all colors)

I feel like I'm opening a can of worms with this, and I'd like to hear all your opinions....

#30551 - 10/16/09 07:49 PM Re: Louisiana judge turns away interracial couple [Re: Maxim D]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Maxim D
Personally, IMO that the government has no right, and that you don't need to be married to have children anyway (duh). While I myself am not attracted to black people (sorry sexual racist). However, I wouldn't want anyone telling me not to or that I couldn't marry who I wanted to- (Example: If I were to fall in love with an asian).

Quoted from the article that you linked to. “No one told Humphrey she and her boyfriend could not get married, Bardwell said. He said his wife even suggested she see Justice of the Peace Terri Crosby of Tickfaw, which Humphrey said she did and Crosby agreed to sign the license.

What is the real issue here? Let us read a bit more from the original article shall we?

Bardwell said a justice of the peace is not required to conduct a marriage ceremony and is at liberty to recuse himself “from a marriage or anything else.”

He said if he does an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all.

“I try to treat everyone equally,” he said.

This is proven to be fact by Miss Humphrey’s words alone.

Toward the conclusion of her conversation with Bardwell’s wife, Humphrey said she was asked if this was an interracial marriage. Humphrey told her it was.

“I have no idea why she asked me that,” Humphrey said. “I suppose she asks everyone that question.”

So they ask everyone interesting…

Bardwell said the state attorney general told him years ago that he would eventually get into trouble for not performing interracial marriages.

“I told him if I do, I’ll resign,” Bardwell said. “I have rights too. I’m not obligated to do that just because I’m a justice of the peace.”

Ah there we go a man (a white man at that) exercised his right to not do something he is against (for whatever reason) and a couple (one being darker) trying to play the system for recognition and/or financial gain. Seriously how much trouble were they put through because of this?

I do not think this is even news worthy.

In fact, there is (was) an interracial couple in my extended family, and a black child, who is completely loved an accepted by the rest of the family. The black father is gone. (IMO he's just a dirtbag and dirtbags come in all colors)

Ever been to Louisiana, I have. Realistically this man is being rather honest with himself and anyone who asks. Perhaps here lies his flaw, he feels the need to explain himself.

Your example of a family loving it's own is so off topic here, nobody said the family wouldn’t love the little "halfbreed" in fact quite the opposite was said.

Bardwell has said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. Bardwell said he came to the conclusion that most black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society.

The key word you are missing here is society. You know people other than family?

He even goes on to add.

“In many cases, he said, the grandparents or a relative ends up with the children.”

What is that, the family still loves the little bastards?

I feel like I'm opening a can of worms with this, and I'd like to hear all your opinions....

Hate to say it but your worms are dead.

Who reading this cannot see the hypocrisy in front of their own face.

Esman said it is indefensible for this issue to arise in 2009. No one in Tangipahoa Parish or anywhere else should have to submit to judicial approval of their choice of a spouse.

This has been the law for over 50 years, she said. In 1963, in the case Loving vs. Virginia, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the government cannot prohibit marriages simply because of the race of the spouses.

“The government cannot discriminate based upon race, which is what is happening here,” Esman said. “The choice of a spouse is deeply personal, and the government simply cannot prevent you from marrying the person you love, based upon skin color.”

No one was told they couldn’t marry they were just told that this one man would not be doing it.

Now seeing that this whole argument is based on this misunderstanding what foundation is there to this story?

This is little different than the gay marriage thread. Egos were bruised, different words were used, and in the long run nothing different happened because of it.

The end

~T~

Edited by ta2zz (10/16/09 07:51 PM)

#30552 - 10/16/09 11:23 PM Re: Louisiana judge turns away interracial couple [Re: ta2zz]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Hey Tat, I'm sort of surprised that you didn't pick up on the part where the woman had already been told by the JP's wife that he wouldn't do it. She asked him to do it BECAUSE she was told he wouldn't.

As you said, they are trying to milk (bilk) the system.

To the OP:

The "government" isn't stopping anyone from doing anything. No civil rights have been violated here. If I were a JP, I wouldn't do it either for the very reasons that this one listed. Mulatto children have more trouble in school, more behavioral problems, and generally do wind up being raised by someone other than their parents. It's not a hard and fast rule, but the evidence (here in the south, anyway) is there. They rarely have a sense of which heritage to attempt to fit into and will not be wholly accepted by either, EVER.

As for "rights" in general:

It's one guy out of probably hundreds that could marry them. They need to get the fuck over it.

#30555 - 10/17/09 12:06 AM Re: Louisiana judge turns away interracial couple [Re: ceruleansteel]
Maxim D Offline
stranger

Loc: Portland, Oregon, United State...
Well thank you for your opinions. I feel more perceptive after reading them. However, where is the evidence of mulatto children having more trouble, behavioral problems, etc.? I'm honestly curious. Maybe something for the eugenics thread?

#30556 - 10/17/09 02:37 AM Re: Louisiana judge turns away interracial couple [Re: ceruleansteel]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Hey,

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
Hey Tat, I'm sort of surprised that you didn't pick up on the part where the woman had already been told by the JP's wife that he wouldn't do it. She asked him to do it BECAUSE she was told he wouldn't.

It is a bit confusing to read but I think you are adding something that just isn’t there.

If you take out some of the other sentences you are left with this:

“Humphrey said she called Bardwell Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She said Bardwell’s wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples.

Toward the conclusion of her conversation with Bardwell’s wife, Humphrey said she was asked if this was an interracial marriage. Humphrey told her it was.” Humphrey said the wife told her that Bardwell does not do interracial marriages.”

There is nothing here to imply that this happened on two different dates or that she knew before that call that he would not sign her marriage certificate.

~T~T~F~N~ \:\)

~T~

#30732 - 10/24/09 01:37 AM Re: Louisiana judge turns away interracial couple [Re: ta2zz]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I'm inferring it because you can't sue someone for something they did not say. If his wife told her that he wouldn't do it, it doesn't mean shit. He has to actually refuse her before she has a case. It says that the wife asked her if the marriage was interracial, which means that it wasn't known already, which leads me to believe that this conversation occurred before any conversation with the husband.

And I was saying that the call happened first. It seems that she called, got the wife's answer, then asked the husband to do it anyway.

Edited by ceruleansteel (10/24/09 01:38 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.