Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#31008 - 10/30/09 11:45 PM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: Disabuse]
Damis Offline
pledge

Loc: England
Ah yes that's what I meant when I said it used the Vista kernel, so far I haven't heard any real major complaints about Windows 7 unlike Vista.

As for a clean install, I agree. Even when the option is available I would say that it's always better to back your data up and then perform a format and a clean install. (Oddly it was advised that Macintosh users install Snow Leopard as an in place upgrade).

From the specifications that you recommended for an install of Win7, it seems like it will work just fine on any recent system since duel core processing and 2GB RAM is the standard in decent machines.

Despite my very limited need for Windows, I will keep an eye out for news on how DX11 turns out.

#31989 - 11/20/09 07:03 AM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: Damis]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
I recently went “7” from Vista, and I have to say, it’s a nice OS.I still have Vista on this laptop, but my work comp has the “7 professional” package.

The user interface maintains some of the Vista’ish looks, but with few of the Vista pitfalls. I especially like that tab functionality the bottom of the screen; it reminds me of the Mac Graphics...

Anyway, pretty decent summation of the 7’s pros and cons can be found here.
As with most things, it pays to do your research before you invest in a new OS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8315541.stm

#32115 - 11/22/09 07:12 PM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: Room 101]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Okay, after seeing this video, combined with the positive opinions I've read on other forums, I've decided that this truly is the ultimate version of Windows to date.

I so want to play with Windows 7 now... \:D

#32123 - 11/22/09 10:34 PM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: DistroyA]
CJB Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Just got a new desktop (the laptop is crapping out on me), and it came with Windows 7. I must say, it is a nice improvement over Vista and XP.

The taskbar takes a bit of getting used to, but is a very nice touch. The start menu is reminiscent of Vista, but if you don't like it, you can change it around. The whole GUI part of it is very nice.

I was also playing around with my music recording software, and it didn't lag nearly as much as before (although that could be due to the hihger power processor).

All in all, I'd say that it is a very nice upgrade. Is it worth getting on your old computer? I'm not sure. It does look and work marvelously on my new computer, though.

#32132 - 11/23/09 07:30 AM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: CJB]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
How fast was the startup time? I'd heard it was much less than the previous OS's.

#32133 - 11/23/09 09:42 AM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: Nemesis]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
You mean booting it up?

If that’s what you meant, then I have to say yes, it’s faster than any other Microsoft OS that I have ever used before.
Despite being extremely “graphical” its overall impact on a computers operating/CPU speed is limited (comparative to Vista, XP).

This being said, if you have a tone of shit on your computer that is initialised during start up (MSN messenger, Steam, Curse Client etc) then it might slow down a tad. But this is the case will all OS’s.

#32153 - 11/23/09 03:27 PM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: Room 101]
CJB Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
I'll go boot it up right quick and tell you...bear in mind that this is a fast computer regardless, and I don't have much that happens in start-up.

Power on to "Starting Windows" screen: 0-15 seconds.
Welcome screen at ~50 seconds
Desktop on, able to do shit at ~1:10

So from power button to clicking on my internet button (I automatically connect to the internet) took just a tad over a minute.

#32155 - 11/23/09 04:11 PM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: CJB]
Disabuse Offline

My system from a cold startup takes about 30 seconds to a usable desktop. I don't have anything in startup though.

#32288 - 11/26/09 11:12 PM Re: Microsoft Windows 7 [Re: Disabuse]
FlameReborn Offline
stranger

Loc: SPFLD,OH,USA
I have heard a few good things about Windows 7, I haven't read any official reviews on it yet. I tested it on a few laptops at some computer stores and it looked pretty nice.

Aside from that I think I'll stick with my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard.

-FR

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.