Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#31186 - 11/03/09 05:45 PM J. Lo is dead!
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Or so they tell me in Generation Kill.

Absolutely loved the first four seasons of The Wire , and was really looking forward to Generation Kill.

The first three episodes has now been aired in Norway, and I am absolutely thrilled by the anti-narrative style of narration, which underlines the bewilderment and frustration of lower rank members trying to survive inside a (supposedly) badly run invasion.

Officers acting as really bad actors acting officers etc...

Was kinda wondering what reception it got in the US, and what club-members (especially of the military persuasion) thinks about the accuracy of the depiction?

Piece of liberal bleeding heart unpatriotic shit?
Depressingly realistic and worrying?

Opinions?

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#31189 - 11/03/09 06:49 PM Re: J. Lo is dead! [Re: Woland]
Jake999 Offline

I watched the series and enjoyed it. There was a lot of truth in the military's sometimes inscrutability that spans the ages. And yeah, we all got that irreverent and jaded at times. Wars have always been "hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror."

All in all, it was what it was. And what it was was a distillation of a lot of incidents all rolled up into one unit. Things happen... you do have bad officers and you do have incompetent troops. There's always an NCO who's the leader, and respected by the troops and there are always fuck ups that make you wonder how they survive.

#31379 - 11/07/09 03:23 AM Re: J. Lo is dead! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

OK, first off: the title of this thread is misleading.

Second of all: the youtube snipets of this show have intrigued me.

Third: I fucking love this show. I have been watching it online all day. I am only on the fourth episode because megavideo makes you wait 54 minutes between each 72 minutes of video you have watched unless you are a member.

The guy who is the "bad guy" on the show reminds me alot of my friend Dennis: "He's a cold blooded psycho, but at least he's our cold blooded psycho." Those exact words, quoted from the show, have been uttered by me about my friend.

This is one I will probably buy on DVD when I get the chance.

#32830 - 12/12/09 07:05 PM Re: J. Lo is dead! [Re: Woland]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Generation Kill is absolutely authentic - completely. What to know what this war is like? Watch Generation Kill. They act and talk exactly like US combat soldiers. One of the actual Marines from that unit plays himself in Generation Kill and is a technical advisor.

The Wire is also very authentic. Actually, the reality is far worse than the show depicts. For what it's worth, my son also has a small roll on the show. The European royalty checks have been coming in lately.

#32831 - 12/12/09 08:18 PM Re: J. Lo is dead! [Re: Fist]
GillesdeRais Offline

Thread derailed.
Post(s) deleted.

Edited by Woland (12/14/09 01:30 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.