I don't need anything from you.

Stay in New Jersey, it suits you.

Morgan

#34156 - 01/18/10 04:50 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: JWG]
Dakota Offline
Banned
pledge

Loc: Michigan
I say it's less divine and more of human psychology; or psychology of anything living in broad terms.

It makes you feel different, based on the sounds that music is producing.

Right now I really want empty vast music that makes me feel like I am standing in a realm of nothingness except cold reality. Like at a airport lobby at 3 in the morning and no one is around, and the year is 2054. Something like that however that feels like.

I can't choose and pick my favorite song, as long as it takes me on a trip I am fine. But it better be a good one.

And I can't listen to a song forever either, once or twice is good. Then it's too much within a single day.

#34403 - 01/22/10 09:07 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Dakota]
soul Offline
Banned
stranger

Good music is divine. A beautiful girl is divine. Here's an example of good music , "whiskey in the jar", Metallica. I was wondering, what kind of music do you like?
#34422 - 01/23/10 10:51 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: soul]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Here's an example of good music , "whiskey in the jar", Metallica.

Depends on what you call "good". It is a matter of personal taste.
The song "whiskey in the jar" its origins might already lay in the 17th century according to Alan Lomax (last name might be wrong).
It gained reputation during the 1950s and has been covered by various artists, such as Metallica, The dubliners , Thin lizzy ,...

These examples have covered the same song, yet I am quite sure there will be people who will prefer the Thin Lizzy version above the Metallica version or,...
It depends on what is personally defined as "good" and/or divine.

Both represent a subjective view about a general feeling you experience. But does divine music exist? That is a matter for everyone to judge by himself.

Edited by Dimitri (01/23/10 11:29 AM)
Edit Reason: Double checked; was Lomax instead of molax

#35614 - 02/14/10 12:05 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Dimitri]
spiral Offline
stranger

Amazing song. Anybody here listens to EODM? Wannabe in LA , one of my favourites.
I'm sure music is a matter of personal taste. That's what making music divine.

#35684 - 02/15/10 11:22 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: spiral]
Gemini Offline
pledge

Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: spiral
Amazing song. Anybody here listens to EODM? Wannabe in LA , one of my favourites.
I'm sure music is a matter of personal taste. That's what making music divine.

It is a matter of personal taste - all forms of art are, with beauty being in the eye of the beholder, and all that jazz.

-Gemini

#35770 - 02/18/10 06:20 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Gemini]
spiral Offline
stranger

"Personal taste" sounds like a limitation to me. Vincent Van Gogh's "Wheat field with crows" is just for the eyes.
#60464 - 10/26/11 04:15 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: spiral]
Vinter Offline
stranger

To me, music is one of the things that construct the very meaning of life. It's a very emotional thing to me. It's about calmness, adrenaline and every emotion in between. Going to a intimate concert or playing music so loud you can even feel the bass is even better. It makes the experience both physical and emotional, and to my personal knowledge there is no better feeling than that.

I realize when I read through this that my words do a poor job in describing how I feel about music, but I guess that in itself says it all.

#60468 - 10/26/11 07:12 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Vinter]
Oxus Offline

Schopenhauer considered music to be the highest artform.
"Music stands alone, quite cut off from all the other arts"

He went on to say that in music we do not recognize the copy or repetition of any Idea of existence in the world.

"Music is thus by no means like the other arts, the copy of the Ideas, but the copy of the Will itself, whose objectivity these Ideas are. This is why the effect of music is much more powerful and penetrating than that of the other arts, for they speak only of shadows, but it speaks of the thing itself."

#60602 - 10/30/11 12:40 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Ankhhape]
Drax Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: North America
I think that a person's taste in music largely depends on that that person individually, not necessarily the religion they may or may not hold. For example, I am a Satanist and I enjoy Classical, Oldies, Dark Ambient, Black Metal and Doom Metal. I even listen to Lady GaGa and Rihanna from time to time.

Furthermore, the reason we listen to music is also largely personal. IE: some choose to listen to music to shift their brain waves, some choose to work out to it, some choose to use it to meditate and so on.

Personally, I fall asleep to Black Metal and get some of my best inspirations in writing from Classical. Again, it is largely personal.

Edited by Drax (10/30/11 12:55 AM)

#60611 - 10/30/11 08:44 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Drax]
Vinter Offline
stranger

I agree, Drax. One can use music for countless purposes. For me, the spiritual and emotional aspect is the most important, hence my love for black metal and classical music. I do, as you, listen to some other music, but it does not "give" me anything, like black metal and classical music does.

I can understand that some people enjoy technically advanced music such as certain types of death metal, and I sometimes enjoy it myself. Emotionally, however, it rarely brings about anything else than mere admiration for the musicians' technical skills, and I most often seek something deeper than that in the music I listen to. I hate it when people talk shit about black metal bands lacking super-technical skills and super-smooth production, because what they may lack in technique, the technical bands often lack in atmosphere, and that atmosphere is exactly what I want.

#60632 - 10/30/11 04:59 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Vinter]
Latvian Offline

Loc: EU, Latvia, Riga (old town)
 Originally Posted By: Vinter
...I hate it when people talk shit about black metal bands lacking super-technical skills and super-smooth production, because what they may lack in technique, the technical bands often lack in atmosphere, and that atmosphere is exactly what I want...
I'm fan of black metal bands already from school time and now I'm 36 - all time I enjoy black metal. It's like a part of my being and of course because of life, society, social contacts and just interest I've listened many genres of music, but I'm always back to black metal. I like atmosphere, direct message...

I'm teacher almost all my adult life and I have to be polite in the work, I'm family man (I've wife, kids), I have always work at home and more in my country side house..., always quite busy in social life and in nature I'm very peaceful and tolerant... Black metal is music, where I can hang out and sometimes not only hang out - it's for some can be contradiction, but in black metal I find serenity!

#60645 - 10/30/11 05:54 PM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Drax]
Oxus Offline

Originally Posted By: Drax
. . . the reason we listen to music is also largely personal.
You would be surprised at how many of the world's ears have been manipulated to 'enjoy' a certain type of music, this is exactly how popular music exists and continues to evolve as well as the musics associated with particular cultural aspects.

#60664 - 10/31/11 01:37 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Oxus]
Drax Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: North America
@ Oxus

Absolutely true! Social conditioning however is responsible for a lot more than a particularly popular taste in music. It is also responsible for popular morality.

If we look at the music video industry specifically, we discover that breaking morality sells, that Satanic imagery sells and that sex has never ceased to sell. We also discover that since the music video industry has a competitive market between shock artists, the more shocking something in a music video is the more popular it shall become due to that shock alone.

Take Lady GaGa. Her videos are hardly tame and her wardrobe is the least thing from conventional. Her lyrics however are completely average! Typical hypnotic garbage intended to entertain cattle! However, the sharp contrast of her visual style, Satanic imagery, sexual allure and NWO symbolism clearly defines that she is not 'like the rest'.

I find the more and more I watch music videos, the more extreme they seem to get. The way they get extreme however is what interests me; they transcend common morality schemes. (Like Lady GaGa showing off her vagina in a now hard to find once viral video) or how Rap music videos seem to get more and more raunchy.

Here is another example.

Take a child about the age of 8 who is wearing a Slayer hoody. Does the child know he is advertising Satanic imagery? Rarely. Do his parents? That depends. Yet he wears it and majority society does not bat an eye anymore. Why? It has become 'normal' or socially acceptable.

Yet at one point Slayer was considered over the top, just like KISS was once over the top. Now we see even little babies wearing skull jackets and children over five wearing 'metal tees' full of graphically detailed Satanic imagery and no one really gives it any thought of being 'wrong' or 'evil'.

Sometimes by this lack of reaction I wonder if the once 'Devil' which terrorized people in the 1980's and prior has become nothing more than a symbolic expression of commercialized individuality.

Anyways, back to the 'meat' of this post.

This musical/visual entropy in the industry of media seems to push more and more to the extremes. I think this works in our favor and against us. It works to our favor in that it exposes the world to anti-christian imagery (crushing Christianity from popular culture) but also against us because it makes our 'shock' seem tame.

Must we now as Satanists be more shocking to overcome this desensitization inflicted on society by popular media? It seems only proper to inflict yet more entropy into the already morally degraded cesspool of popular entertainment.

Yet here is another question for you, though not on music. Why does modern cinema not produce semi-realistic or at least believable Satanic rituals? Why do new movies not contain the same eye-popping extreme Satanism and "Hail Satan"s as movies did in the 1980s?

Has Satanism as a ceremonial flavor washed away? Is it now just images of gore, inverted crosses, skulls, zombies and pentagrams?

Furthermore, can Satanism survive this commercialization? Will it die out as an individualistic path based on breaking taboos and become just another over-marketed product for the sheep?

#60666 - 10/31/11 02:30 AM Re: Music Divine? [Re: Drax]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
If we look at the music video industry specifically, we discover that breaking morality sells, that Satanic imagery sells and that sex has never ceased to sell.

Yes, that stuff sells. But those numbers pale in comparison to the amount of money brought in by Christian recording artists.

Quote:
We also discover that since the music video industry has a competitive market between shock artists, the more shocking something in a music video is the more popular it shall become due to that shock alone.

Yes, there is competition in pretty much every aspect of life. What's your point? Or was it your intention to state the obvious?

Quote:
Take Lady GaGa. Her videos are hardly tame and her wardrobe is the least thing from conventional. Her lyrics however are completely average! Typical hypnotic garbage intended to entertain cattle! However, the sharp contrast of her visual style, Satanic imagery, sexual allure and NWO symbolism clearly defines that she is not 'like the rest'.

She's in the entertainment business and in this respect, she is very much like the rest. Also, that "sexual allure" is not something she invented or something only she is doing so it doesn't really set her apart. I also don't see much "Satanic imagery" or "NWO symbolism" in anything she does.

Quote:
Take a child about the age of 8 who is wearing a Slayer hoody. Does the child know he is advertising Satanic imagery? Rarely. Do his parents? That depends. Yet he wears it and majority society does not bat an eye anymore. Why? It has become 'normal' or socially acceptable.

Forgetting the fact that this is merely a hypothetical situation, I doubt the child would care. They're probably just showing their support a band they like. And Tom Araya is an avowed Catholic and has admitted it for years. So any "Satanic imagery" associated with them is really nothing more than a marketing tool. But what is the point of this? Do you think society at large should be up in arms about a Slayer shirt? Would that make you happy? It seems rather stupid to me.

Quote:
Now we see even little babies wearing skull jackets and children over five wearing 'metal tees' full of graphically detailed Satanic imagery and no one really gives it any thought of being 'wrong' or 'evil'.

I can guarantee you that some people do still think that stuff is wrong. But, again, so what?

Quote:
Sometimes by this lack of reaction I wonder if the once 'Devil' which terrorized people in the 1980's and prior has become nothing more than a symbolic expression of commercialized individuality.

It's simple, this is all old-news so people will naturally less shocked by. There are those who still fear their boogey man but for the most part I think people see it for what is: a marketing tool. And there a lot of people who just plain don't care. And why should they?

Quote:
Anyways, back to the 'meat' of this post.

That's funny, so far all I have seen is fat.

Quote:
Must we now as Satanists be more shocking to overcome this desensitization inflicted on society by popular media?

I can't see any reason why.

Quote:
It seems only proper to inflict yet more entropy into the already morally degraded cesspool of popular entertainment.

I am confused by your use of the word entropy. Are you referring to social entropy or are you using the word as it relates to thermodynamics? And what does it mean to "inflict yet more entropy..."? That sounds like a load of platitudinous bullshit. And "morally degraded cesspool" is a value judgement and, as such, is not really relevant.

Quote:
Why does modern cinema not produce semi-realistic or at least believable Satanic rituals? Why do new movies not contain the same eye-popping extreme Satanism and "Hail Satan"s as movies did in the 1980s?

Here's a better question: Why does it matter? It sounds like you are more into Satanism-for-shock-value. As if your constant use of entropy in some failed attempt at sounding smart wasn't bad enough. I can only shake my head in contempt.

Quote:
Furthermore, can Satanism survive this commercialization? Will it die out as an individualistic path based on breaking taboos and become just another over-marketed product for the sheep?

Satanism isn't for "sheep". It never has been and it never will be. Nor is it a commodity I.E. something that can be bought and sold. So there is no need to be concerned about such things.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.036 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.