Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3155 - 01/05/08 08:12 PM Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church
Chandler Offline
stranger

Last Sunday I visited one of those new culture Non-denominational Christian Churches with a friend of mine who I usually only see at a goth/fetish show at a primarily gay bar where I have friends who identify me as a Satanist. I'm the only guy in there (that I know of) who doesn't claim a genetic excuse to politicize his sinful behavior.

I am also one of the few regulars who can regulate his drinking.

The only other Christian I know from the gay club participates in the fetish show every Thursday night. She gets her taint beaten with a broad leather paddle like no one else. She happens to be straight, and so is the Christian whose congregation I have... attached myself to.

The proceedings were anything but ceremonial. The antechamber was a free cafe awaiting me after I introduced myself to the handshakers at the door. They offered me an espresso, but I downgraded to regular caffeinated coffee and proceeded to the sanctuary, which was staged like a sports bar.

I enjoy the Bible, because I am an occultist. Anything bound in leather that reads like Shakespeare's worst appeals to me, aesthetically in the very least. Any wisdom I get out of it is my own anyway.

My friend, the Christian, wandered in about fifteen minutes late smelling like the beer we drank the night before. This was the seven PM service. He had the same clothes on too. Nobody even looked at him funny. You could tell they weren't going to from the crowd. There weren't even any girls in there I would be interested in (maybe if I was Adam). They all looked like they just got off the Yellow Submarine after a trip to Never Never Land. But they were still there.

The service consisted of teachings from the Book of Esther, which does not mention God. It tells the story of a typical attempt at genocide against the Hebrews (who the pastor mistakenly called "Jews"). Miraculously, this attempt failed (evidencing God's existence to some). Exercising his almightiness, Yaweh forced the King to fall in love with a Hebrew woman, who in turn performed the miracle of endorsing a law, proposed by Hebrews incidentally, against killing Hebrews at will and taking their property.

After the service, I brought a soul into the Lord's care irrevocably. My alcoholic friend (still slightly hungover) asked me to say a prayer. I don't remember everything I said, but when I was finished, he was weeping profusely. When he recovered from his moment with me and the Lord, he thanked me for rejuvenating his faith, by proving that the Lord can save anyone -even a Satanist.

Then we went out for beers, which we also blessed.

Am I backsliding?

edit:

I apologize, I thought this post would involve more philosophy. My question was intended to be "what do YOU think about Satanists preaching in Christian Churches for money?" I think a Satanist could bring more souls and dollars to Jesus, and I'm seriously thinking about getting in the business.

Edited by Chandler (01/05/08 08:17 PM)

#3159 - 01/05/08 10:05 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: Chandler]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: Chandler
My question was intended to be "what do YOU think about Satanists preaching in Christian Churches for money?" I think a Satanist could bring more souls and dollars to Jesus, and I'm seriously thinking about getting in the business.

Considering that the Christian religion comes with a serious customer base, I say milk the sheep... Just be careful they have tiny nipples...

~T~

PS. You getting into it is alright, it is when it gets into you that all may be lost...

#3166 - 01/06/08 03:15 AM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: ta2zz]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
I've so missed you Chandler...

I think I've written this before... but I'll give it another go:

I don't want to make a really long story long, so I'll give you the "summary".

I have been saved. I have been saved by the lord Jesus Christ - I am written in the "Lamb's Book of ... something" "Life", the "Lamb's book of Life", yeah - you'll find me there. All I had to do, was to get rid of this horribly terrifying guy named "Lenny". You see, Lenny was saving me, and all I had to do to get him out of my life forever, and to save my immortal soul in the process, was to say some words...

Now, I was maybe thirteen or so, but I knew a good bargain when I saw it - Lenny was out, and I was in. Of course I said his fucking words. His last words to me were: "Now you're going to heaven".

Thanks Lenny - you see, it doesn't matter what I do now folks - I'm going to "heaven".

Fuck. What if I don't want to go? What the hell did I do? I'm such a fucking idiot. Damn!

#3176 - 01/06/08 05:52 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: daevid777]
foras Offline
stranger

I have said that prayer often, DAMN those fundamental Baptist! They have a way of beatings you down, guilt trip galore. I must have multiple savings by now.

Quote:
Fuck. What if I don't want to go? What the hell did I do? I'm such a fucking idiot. Damn!

You have to once saved always saved. \:D

Originally Posted By: Chandler
 Quote:
I apologize, I thought this post would involve more philosophy. My question was intended to be "what do YOU think about Satanists preaching in Christian Churches for money?" I think a Satanist could bring more souls and dollars to Jesus, and I'm seriously thinking about getting in the business.

I know a many a preacher's just in it for the money.

#3293 - 01/10/08 07:53 AM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: daevid777]
Chandler Offline
stranger

Missed you too.

I remember the Lenny story. You retell it almost verbatim.

I'm almost over the pathological fear of Jesus inculcated in me by my grandmother at age 5. Bothering the Protestants has aided me immeasurably. But I am practicing the Prime Directive.

But of course the greatest thanks goes to my fellow Satanists: those of us who dare to brave the dark and labyrinthine neuro-linguistic pathways of the HONEST human mind.

My respect for truth has always superseded my respect for any particular proposition or ideology. To this day I maintain that if there was a shred of evidence for the Christian world-view, the morale stipulations would still be base and pitiful.

But the concept of forgiveness is as integral to Satanism as it is to Christianity. Forgiveness of the self is something that I learned through Satanic ritual, which begging a non-existent God could never provide. Realizing the value of God through his creation, including his word, was always the method of the Christian faith in the first place.

But any ideology that adheres to a methodology of thought-avoidance is doomed at the outset. It wouldn't matter if the Christian faith taught good ethics (which it doesn't- it preaches indiscriminate forgiveness in exchange for ignorance). The restrictions placed on the thought process, necessary in order to maintain a foundational belief in the face of a cosmos based on impermanence, prevent the ready possibility of comprehending any concept or intent in its entirety. It is necessary to have a mind that is ready to witness anything, before you can rest assured that its contents are comprehensive of anything.

Even the value of the number one, taken for granted, is misunderstood.

There, that was almost philosophy. But manifest wisdom and "the love of wisdom" (i.e. philosophy) are not one and the same.

#3304 - 01/10/08 02:12 PM Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Chandler]
Meq Offline
Banned

This reminds me of the time I payed a visit to a local Mor(m)on church. After parking, I was accosted by a parking attendant, who thought I was abusing the church's parking - and was quite taken aback when told that I was actually interested in attending the service.

Naturally, the first thing I was told upon entering the church was that my tie needed straightening, my suit jacket needed to be fully buttoned up, and my shirt collar looked like it had been put on in a hurry.
Mormons do seem a tad on the OCD side in terms of dress, even worse than the JWs there. Guys, don't even think about paying them a visit without a full formal suit...

After observing the members partake of a communion of bread and WATER, it turned out that I stumbled onto a 'special' service, in which the members got to offer a 'confession' of faith.

I had to force myself to keep a straight face when full-grown men, in all seriousness, placed their hand on their heart and 'confessed' that the Book of Mormon is the inerrant Word of God.
(I was left wondering: Have they even read it side-by-side with the KJV Bible, their church's official translation, of which most of it is plagiarised?)

Still, I left with a BOM for my reference ("And it came to pass...") and a great deal of amusement - much as if I had just visited a zoo...

I enjoyed speaking with a couple of missionaries, who summarised a passage in the BOM regarding the blooming of faith.
Fair enough (to avoid being OVERLY critical) - but seriously, FAITH in some dead American guy's con? Is that supposed to be a virtue or something?

As for philosophy... well, manifest wisdom is the fruit of the striving and love of wisdom (i.e. the practice of real philosophy), which is either manifest as a real skill of living, or not at all.
IMO, real philosophy goes way beyond theoretical discussion.
It is the recognition that one still has a long way to go in seeking wisdom, so destroys any illusion that one has 'arrived'.

Contrast this with the hardcore religionist - he or she is already convinced that they have reached The Absolute Truth and The One and Only Way, all non-believers are fools and damned to Hell, and one's duty is to 'convert' them (using sophistry rather than reason).
This is a classic example of neurotic projection - refusing to see one's own irrationality, while labelling others as foolish to boost the ego.

Contrast this Xian fundie approach with the genuine humility of Socrates, who stated that wisdom begins with knowing that one does not know. This leads to critical self-examination, with the emphasis on correcting one's own errors in thought in order to see clearer. Other people's opinions and judgments become their business, and a commitment to reason and evidence provides a grounding to reality. Thinking for oneself and finding one's own way becomes paramount. Individuation leads to a greater respect for others' individuality.

The Bible-basher thinks wisdom begins with passionately believing that he knows it all (and everyone who disagrees is lost), that critical self-examination of one's beliefs is sinful, and that the important thing is getting other people to agree with one's opinions. Other people's individuality is looked down upon as sinful. Bigotry, dogmatism and a highly moralistic approach become the norm - often with hypocritical double standards. And, of course, other people who don't "get it" are being blinded by Satan - whilst one's personal faith is viewed as clairvoyant (in reality it is the believer who is blinded).

#3335 - 01/11/08 12:08 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Chandler]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

Loc: somewhere on this giant dirt b...
First of all dude, way to freakin go!! It takes balls for a proclaimed Satanist to walk into a Mormon church. I shudder at the thought, and not out of fear but dissgust, seriously when i driving around town a see a church, i want to pull over and take a piss on there doorstep, while i "HAIL SATAN". So WOW... And it seemes to me that you are not a satanist at all. You shead tears for the christian god, you were moved enough by this expirience to ask yourself..." am i backsliding", well DUH!!!! You are probably are not meant to be a Satanists.. ever..at all!Perhaps, you should thank you friend for rejuvinating your "faith". I'am really not being meen, cuz i believe that if it makes you happy, run with it. Quit, labaeing yourself a Satanist, hug your christian bible tight in your arms, and "be saved" if that is what you need
#3346 - 01/11/08 03:01 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Bridgett Leavitt]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I think you miss the point.

He did this to be more aware of things and satify his curosity.
The search for knowledge in all forms is a good thing.
If you can do something different, and take the learned knowledge to better yourself, what is the problem?
Besides he got a free book to use for other research material.

Churches don't bother me, I can't be bothered to care about the idea of pissing on them. Kinda like idiots, I can't be bothered to piss on them if they were on fire.

Morg

#3348 - 01/11/08 03:56 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Morgan]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

The search for knowledge is a good thing in all forms.Don't be so prudish. have some fun, piss on the steps of a christian church, your tight ass just might crack a smile. As for idiots, i would not piss on one on fire, let the mother fucker burn.
#3349 - 01/11/08 04:04 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Bridgett Leavitt]
Meq Offline
Banned

If you had properly read the posts on this thread, you would have seen that Chandler first discussed his experience with a non-denominational church (and prayer).

I later added my own (one-off) experience with a Mormon church.
Two posters, two churches, two experiences. Get it?

Incidentally, while I cannot speak for Chandler's context, I was welcome at the church in the capacity of a 'seeker', not a 'Satanic guest'.
Come to think of it, I'll have to dig out that Cradle of Filth T-shirt, Baphomet pendant, and perhaps a good stick or two of Ta2zz' favorite incense the next time I pay them a visit. \:D

#3350 - 01/11/08 04:12 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Meq]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

FYI, i did indeed read the posts on this thread. I just don't care about your or his "positive" feeling towards christianity. Ya know what, i dare you to the next time you go to Mormon church PLEASE wear that Cradle of Filth shirt and your Baphomet pendant and see it the church still accepts you warmly...now who is the idiot?.... GET IT?

Edited by Bridgett Leavitt (01/11/08 04:19 PM)

#3352 - 01/11/08 04:28 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Church [Re: Bridgett Leavitt]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

hey Mequa, if you have the Cradle of Filth shirt that says " Jesus is a Cunt" you should were that one, those christians will surly embrace you then.
#3469 - 01/14/08 06:34 PM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: Meq]
Chandler Offline
stranger

Yes, well, I have had my experiences with the Mormons as well. I was actually locked up in a behavior modification school where they threatened me with all sorts of madness if I didn't accept a "higher power" as my savior. I accept myself as a higher power, and a savior. I get myself out of a jam every time I pay a bill. I believe that God Himself took on flesh, and crucified himself in conversation with Mormons and other morons on a regular basis. To that extent I suppose I am a Christian. I don't see how it doesn't make me a Satanist. I know you understand.

A Christian is just a Satanist with the community's forgiveness.

#3518 - 01/16/08 02:27 AM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: Chandler]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

Yeh, i do understand, Sorry for being so uh.."rude", for lack of a better word. I was also put in many positions in childhood where christianty was forced down my throat in giant spoonfuls.Mormonism was the most forced religion apon me. This in sort has created the most animosity within myself. I do NOT understand why, or how you could still go to a Mormon church and participate and have a enlightened feeling from it. Why do you want anything to do with "them" and their beliefs after what they put you through??
#3546 - 01/17/08 06:56 AM Re: Anthropological Expedition into a Christian Ch [Re: Bridgett Leavitt]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne, Australia.
Bridgett, as a former mormon myself in my younger years (also forced with many a horrid story to tell I am sure) I don't see anything wrong with going and meeting people if thats what anyone wants to do.

Hell, at the moment I am still talking to my parents and their missionary buddies. At least it's a generally interesting conversation with many ethical and moral intrigues. And watching from the inside as someone tries to convert you is always an amusing experience in my own view.

Also, is it just me or are there alot of mormon related people here today =P

Edited by Veldrin (01/17/08 06:57 AM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.