Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3313 - 01/10/08 06:38 PM Re: life after death [Re: Octavius]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
For once I agree very much with you Octavious. I have no trouble thinking that my molecules and energy are very likely to go on, but can't see how they could possibly retain all that is 'me' when they do.

I've actually willed my body to science (and since I have a terminal illness it's not a light thing) as I don't think that I'll be attached to it at all by the time I die. Let them chop it up and give it to med students or whatever. Burn the leftovers and keep them in a jar? Or scatter them on a garden, I don't really care. Actually the idea of being crushed and turned into a diamond for my daughters my favourite at this point.

Whilst I'm open to ideas, I have yet to hear one that includes an afterlife that I find ideologically sound.

Zeph

#3332 - 01/11/08 10:43 AM Re: life after death [Re: ZephyrGirl]
TwistydMorticia Offline
stranger

Loc: England, United Kingdom
I believe that we have a soul and I strongly believe it lives on after death in some form or another.

I do not agree with the belief that preservation of the body after death is essential for the "afterlife" like the Egyptians (for example) did, unless someone fancies the idea of cryogenics then obviously you would need it ;\)

I have the same ideas as ZephyrGirl, I would like to sell mine to that German corpse artist, it would look pretty cool with my curvy spine and rib cage or let them experiment / research and find out what caused it.

#3334 - 01/11/08 11:42 AM Re: life after death [Re: Octavius]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

Loc: somewhere on this giant dirt b...
yes, i agree with you here, And to make it clear, i'am NOT worried about the afterlife in any way shape or form. I'am not sure what to believe...really..cuz nobody in this plain of existence knows, and won't till we die. i'am merely just entertaining the ideas of what possibilities lay ahead. And no i have no desire to reliquish my "soul". Iam evil, iam human and i love it. if there is a christian god who frowns on me,.... well he can lick me where i shit!!!!
#4571 - 02/27/08 06:04 AM Re: life after death [Re: birdstrike]
Rossums Offline
stranger

Loc: Glasgow
Octavius i think i likes you,you big flirt!
What is all this talk of a life after death.Youre being silly,too silly,i wont have anything more to do woth you until youre properly serious!...i am sorry i have just had my third coffee of the morning \:\(

Right!Good ol'life.I dont think there is another one.The idea of there being an afterlife is exausting to me.If there is am afterlife i dbout it would be any different to this life.It would just be us,going about our afterlife,trying to have it off.If there was a paradise we went to it wouldnt stay like that for very long,human nature would see to that.Yes just like animal farm bye bye

#4583 - 02/27/08 02:07 PM Re: life after death [Re: Rossums]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Y'know, I have the same point of view on the whole afterlife thing, Rossums. Well, what it'd be like, assuming there is one (And how are we to know there is one? Only time will tell....).

As for the whole paradise theory, I find that to be complete cods-wallop. It'd just be like harp-plucking land, and I DEFINITELY do not believe in that.

#4584 - 02/27/08 02:11 PM Re: life after death [Re: DistroyA]
Rossums Offline
stranger

Loc: Glasgow
you have a kind face,im gona smooch you right up ome of these days! yeha who wants to wear a white robe all day,not me! i would be tooo aware of my nipples,incase they were showing
#4585 - 02/27/08 02:18 PM Re: life after death [Re: Rossums]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Yeah, but nipples are awesome.........*ahem* Moving on.....

Yeah, I'd prefer to lead an afterlife similar to what I do now. Creating art is just too good.

And thank you for the flattery (you minx you.....).

#4604 - 02/28/08 02:02 AM Re: life after death [Re: birdstrike]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I try in neurological theory to believe in a soul. But my faith' in such a thing fades in and out. I mean if one's brain controls almost everything including religious and euphoric feelings, memories, and goals, then it is the seat of the soul. And if all brain activity ends after death. Then the "soul" dies too.

And frankly I find beliefs in past lives nice and cool when it comes to conversational tools. But completely useless if you forget who you were. I don't believe it is a true transference of "Ego" Or soul. About as useful and comforting as a broken window in a space shuttle.

#7135 - 04/03/08 02:58 PM Re: life after death [Re: Engel08]
truthseeker2000 Offline
stranger

Loc: Upstate SC
I think that in order to determine if there is "life" after death it is necessary to define what exactly "you" are. That is to say, what is it that makes up or defines you? IMHO, that would be the consciousness, your memories and emotions, all of which are biological processes in the human brain. I recommend Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett for a little "light reading" on the subject. In other words, I believe that if we exist after death it is not in a way or form that would be recognizable to us now.

Caligula WSA
~~352~~

#7150 - 04/03/08 09:59 PM Re: life after death [Re: Octavius]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
 Originally Posted By: Octavius
I believe a large degree of agnosticism is needed when dealing with this issue. However, an apathetic stance limits your understanding and knowledge of the world you live in. Answers like "Why bother? Who cares? What difference does it make?" only prove that you're not mentally able to entertain theories beyond your current level of education. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but as soon as you become stagnant in those beliefs, you cheating yourself out of knowledge, power, success, health and more. One need not "worry" about the alleged afterlife in order to entertain the notion.

Or perhaps I can entertain the notion of an afterlife and have done, then realised the argument is moot on the ground that it's fundamentally unanswerable so decided to stop exploring it. The afterlife can only be known after we die, it cannot be explored before death unless we can return to tell people about it and as no-one yet has ever managed that in any conclusive manner, (and if people could it would be extremely commonplace surely), I can assume that isn't possible. If we cannot answer any questions on the afterlife until we die and then once we die the questions are all answered rather effortlessly why waste time and effort of them now, on Earth, here in this life. Why don't we use our time more productively and learn of what we have here in life rather that what we hypothetically may or may not have in a place and time that may or may not exist after a point by which we can't return to this life to appreciate what we're ignoring now in order to make these very postulations.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.