Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#33422 - 12/31/09 10:20 AM An Experiment in Sound...
Born Offline
stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
If you open and close your rituals with the Enochian keys, vocalize your desires in whisper or in howl, and add ritual chamber ambiance through music or chant, bells and gongs, you are effecting your atmosphere (obviously) through sound vibration.

In long standing practice, the focus on vocalization and use of sound to penetrate reality and tap into the energies around us is not new.

It had been asserted in TSB that the keys carry a level of importance in Ritual which is above and beyond a simple triviality.

""Despite all non-verbalists' protests to the contrary, soaring heights of emotional ecstasy or raging pangs of anguish can be attained through verbal communication. If the magical ceremony is to employ all sensory awarenesses, then the proper sounds must be invoked. It is certainly true that "actions speak louder than words", but words become as monuments to
thoughts.

Perhaps the most noticeable shortcoming in the printed magical conjurations of the past is the lack of emotion developed upon the reciting of them. An old wizard known to the author, who was once employing a self-composed invocation of great personal meaning in the light of his magical desires, ran out of words just as his ritual was moments short of its successful culmination. Aware of the necessity of keeping his emotional response generating, he quickly adlibbed the first emotion-provoking words that came to mind - a few stanzas of a poem by Rudyard Kipling! Thus, with this final burst of glory-charged adrenalin, was he able to finalize an effective working!"

"In Enochian the meaning of the words, combined with the quality of the words, unite to create a pattern of sound which can cause tremendous reaction in the atmosphere. The barbaric tonal qualities of this language give it a truly magical effect which cannot be described."

In the use of the keys, rhythm and vocalization appear to be paramount. In an article written on pronunciation, the author (LaVey) asserts that it is not so much important to master the lingual portion as tone and delivery.

Guide to Enochian Pronunciation

Anton Szandor LaVey The Cloven Hoof, May V A.S. (1970 c.e.)

Of all the questions asked pertaining to the contents of The Satanic Bible, the most frequent is concerning the pronunciation of the Enochian Keys. I wish to stress the fact, before even dealing with the recommended pronunciation, that the importance should be placed upon the rhythmic and sequential delivery of the words, rather than a scholarly attempt to pronounce them properly.

The original renditions of the Keys were written in much the same way as Hebrew; i.e., the letters are only represented by consonants, with the vowel sounds unwritten. Only one other translation of the Keys is available—Israel Regardie’s inclusion in his monumental twenty‐five dollar work called The Golden Dawn. The Keys in Regardie’s work are a “white light” translation and occupy a scant few pages at the end of his two‐volume compendium of the rituals of the Order of the Golden Dawn. They are presented in their Enochian form with only consonants to read by, so that “Zodoreje” would read “Zdrj.” As you can see, this makes it decidedly tougher to pronounce!

There are various opinions as to the proper pronunciation, just as in Latin there are sometimes several ways of pronouncing the same word, depending on the regional and historical speech pattern. So it is with Enochian. The word “Cahisa,” if one is to prefer a soft sound pattern, would be read “SA‐HEE‐SHAH”—the most prevalent pronunciation, however, would be “KA‐HEE‐SAH,” or just the way it looks like it would be said. Generally, all consonants should be given a hard sound: C as in cake, S as in salt, G as in gold, J as in just, etc.

The delivery of the words should be as deliberate and prolonged as possible, with no attempt made to jabber them quickly to show how proficient in the language you are! For those who saw Rosemary’s Baby [or The Devil’s Rain, for which LaVey himself coached the extras] , you will recall the slow solemnity of the chants, performed in almost a monotone. Each syllable should be spoken with great deliberation, care being given not to skim over the sounds. A word like “beliore” should result in “BAY‐LEE‐OAR‐RAY.” “Busada” should come out “BOO‐SAH‐DAH.” Where two identical vowels are shown together, as in “Ooa,” the pronunciation would be “OH‐OH‐AH.”

I find most annoying the person who demands a word‐for‐word translation of the Keys, not realizing they are virtually like Pigeon English in their lack of grammatical nuance and literary style. If they were to be translated literally, you may be assured that the chanter would sound most inarticulate! Because the English language is a glorious display of words, it is criminal not to avail oneself of the majestic vocal renditions made possible by such a language. In the ceremonies which I have conducted, I have always spoken the key I have chosen both in English and Enochian.
As a short example of pronunciation, here is

THE SIXTEENTH ENOCHIAN KEY
(written phonetically)
Ee‐lah‐sah vi‐vee‐ah‐lah pay‐ray‐tah! Sah‐lah‐mah‐noo bah‐lah‐tah, dahs ah‐cah‐row oh‐dah‐zoe‐dee boo‐sah‐dah, ode bay‐lee‐oh‐rock‐sah bah‐lee‐tah: Dahs ee‐noo‐see kah‐oh‐sah‐jee loo‐sah‐dah‐noo ay‐mow‐dah: Dahs oh‐may ode tah‐lee‐oh‐bay: dah‐ree‐lah‐pah ee‐ay‐hay ee‐lah‐sah Mah‐dah Zoe‐dee‐low‐dah‐ray‐pay. Zoe‐dah‐cah‐ray ode Zoe‐dah‐may‐rah‐noo. Oh‐doe kee‐cah‐lay Kwah‐ah: Zoe‐doe‐ray‐jay, lah‐pay zoe‐dee‐ray‐doe Noe‐coe Mah‐dah, Hoe‐ah‐thah‐hay Sigh‐tahn!

Here is an Enochian Database of the language.

"Children, not knowing or caring if they possess artistic skill or other creative talents, pursue their goals through the use of imagery of their own manufacture, whereas "civilized" adults are much more critical of their own creative efforts. This is why a "primitive" magician can utilize a mud doll or crude drawing to successful advantage in his magical ceremonies. To HIM, the image is as accurate as needs be.

Anything which serves to intensify the emotions during a ritual will contribute to its success. Any drawing, painting, sculpture, writing, photograph, article of clothing, scent, sound, music, tableau, or contrived situation that can be incorporated into the ceremony will serve the sorcerer well." ~ ASLV TSB

Keeping in mind the importance stressed in sound vibration use in Ritual and certainly we understand the equal importance of symbolic imagery...parchment offerings and Sigils baring geometrical intricacies.

If we bare our core feelings in a verbal manner, while reciting a 'magical' language in attempts to manipulate the air, in conjunction with emotion invoking music and symbolic offerings...We are definitely experimenting with the many tumblers within our own subjective 'locks'.

In studying more thoroughly the Enochian keys by John Dee and his scryer Sir Edward Kelly, it becomes clear (as it should) that just as in any other alphabet, a sound is represented by a symbol. In the book The Chanokh, the Enochian tablets and plates attest to the elaborate imagery of both the keys and the language itself.

John Dee - Chanokh

It's been known for quite some time that all things carry sound including light. Could it be that shapes and patterns carry frequency as well? Indeed they do...

http://www.music.princeton.edu/~dmitri/voiceleading.pdf
http://phe.rockefeller.edu/perrin/fractaldimension.pdf

It is a surety that geometric shapes can be rendered through software to create sound from image. I've found a free version of something called audio paint which changes images (any image) into sound.

http://www.nicolasfournel.com/audiopaint.htm

You can get it here...
http://audiopaint.findmysoft.com/

The reason I've found this to be of such interest is because the opportunity to experiment in Ritual with sound is endless here. I've recently tried feeding some Sigils I've made through the program, which in turn produces a brief almost 'sci-fi' computer like sound. In a tool portion, the sound can be slowed which in turn drags out the tones to a longer vibration. I've then been able to play the tones on a loop and play them quietly under some ambient chamber music. The sound of the Sigils I'm using are actually playing in the air around me.

In producing further experiments, I feel that adding such tones or experimenting with sound in general is an excellent addition to tapping into the subjective nature of our universe, be it through effecting yet unknown 'dimensional energies' or influencing positive outcome to our desires by planting extremely deep subconscious tones and images into our psyche. The definition lies solely with the practitioner as to just WHAT is being affected.

The more elaborate and experimental our practices in psychodrama become, at the very least, the more our creative outlets unfold to enable our Satanic resourcefulness and add more diverse focus to our catalysis.

#33452 - 01/01/10 08:06 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: Born]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Concerning the Enochian Keys & language, cf. my Temple of Set Appendix 3 (p #143 et seq.) & 4.

On the invention & construction of magical/fantasy languages generally, see also my Church of Satan Appendix 74, explaining the "Yuggothic" of my two HPL ceremonies in the Satanic Rituals.

While the chanting in Rosemary's Baby was not Enochian, that in The Devil's Rain was, as in the beginning of this clip. Very funny to see Anton standing in front of a board coaching all the Mexican extras in the syllable-recitation.

Dee's/Kelly's "Enochian" and my "Yuggothic" are chump change compared to some modern efforts to create artificial languages. See for example this concerning the recent Lord of the Rings films [already a bear because JRRT was himself an archaic language expert at Oxford], as well as this concerning the Mayan in Apocalypto. This seems to be a trend - cf. this concerning the Na'vispeak in Avatar.

#33461 - 01/01/10 10:04 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: Born]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I guess it's a different-strokes issue. I always liked Crowley's recitation of the Keys; it always sounded sharper and more lofty. I also prefer the quicker, more bombastic method of delivering an invocation; granted, it takes me a while to learn it well enough to say it effectively.

The glossolaliac "Conjuration of Lucifer" from the Grimorium Verum comes to mind; broken down to individual words, it is most likely a corrupted jumble of meaningless nonsense, but properly delivered those words can elevate the mind to a fervorous state of gnosis.

I've never quite understood the occult method of "vibration," though, especially the old Greek ritual chants of "IOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOUUUUUUU IO AU IOOOOO IOIOUUIIIII", et cetera. I mean, how is a person supposed to say that? Singing it? Or croaking like a Tibetian monk?

#33463 - 01/01/10 11:03 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: The Zebu]
Jake999 Offline

CROWLEY??? Clear and loftier sounding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39VPHVBLf4 - The First Key
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsB5ESUf3IU - The Second Key

#33481 - 01/02/10 01:12 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Born Offline
stranger

The Temple of Set has been a 'nightstand' read for me in the last month or so. Not far in to your book (pg.10), you mention the use of the '19th key, invoking ZIM (13th aethyr)' from a copy of 'Meric, Casaubon's John Dee's Actions with Spirits (a 1659 reprint)'. You assert that usage of this particular key, lead to an interesting experience...

You later mention it as a 'powerful text' and that the secret to their proper use was 'in the disassociation of it's implications from hybrid/Cabalistic jargon.' Further stating 'this includes the pronouncing of the Keys themselves (which, from Mather's time onward, have been spoken per the letters of the Hebrew alphabet and not according to the simple phonetics implied by each letter in text)'.

I suppose an example of how I understand it, would be the Inuit sound of 'OOOO-MAAAH' to soothe an infant. There could be numerous variations in spelling or written structure of the word (particularly if translated multiple times), when ultimately the 'soothing power' of the sound is held in it's tone and delivery.

I understood the keys within TSB to be 'altered' to fit a more distinctively 'Left' context, which in turn certainly explains why ALSV had asserted that delivery and tone precede pronunciation as well...

My interest in the 'mechanics' of ritual relative to vibration and sound have made for some interesting evenings, with little in success as described in your use of the 19th Key. It took a long time to feel comfortable with the Keys and confident in proper recitation for me. The topic of Yuggothic was one I plan to dig into tonight, as The Church of Satan is another book that I have not read entirely. (I often bounce between up to four books at any given time).

Quote:
Very funny to see Anton standing in front of a board coaching all the Mexican extras in the syllable-recitation.

I wish I could have been around to see that!

#33483 - 01/02/10 01:38 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: The Zebu]
Born Offline
stranger

Crowley's recitations always had a reverberation to them, lower tone up to higher, slow at start but then quicker by end of verse. Repeated with each verse, often increased in volume by Ritual's end...

When you mention 'learning to say it effectively', is this one of the characteristics you attempt to mimic, or have you found more comfort in delivering them in a way that feels natural to you?

I'd have to agree, given the often 'elevated' state that Crowley was in...Jake and Mawhrin make some compelling points lol.

I think a lot of the power in these recitations of magical languages lies purely in the understanding the person has of what they are reciting, in conjunction with personal response to sounds that 'feel right', causing a deeper subconscious focus on the 'is to be'. A form of self-hypnosis...

#33486 - 01/02/10 06:25 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: Born]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Born

Quote:
Very funny to see Anton standing in front of a board coaching all the Mexican extras in the syllable-recitation.

I wish I could have been around to see that!

There IS a picture of this somewhere... it's in a magazine, if memory serves, and I THINK I have it somewhere in my stuff. IF I can find it, I'll post a copy of it. If not, maybe someone else will remember it and find it in their stacks.

#33490 - 01/02/10 08:18 PM _The Devil's Rain_ [Re: Born]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here's a page with some nice stuff from The Devil's Rain. Didn't notice any behind-the-scenes shots there though. Note the various trapezoidal/Pentagram designs, also the outlined animal ones. These are all Anton's personal artwork for the film. He obviously wasn't asked to redo the really ugly altar Baphomet in the church; otherwise you can bet it would have looked much cooler!

#33547 - 01/04/10 10:07 AM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: Jake999]
Born Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Jake999
There IS a picture of this somewhere... it's in a magazine, if memory serves, and I THINK I have it somewhere in my stuff. IF I can find it, I'll post a copy of it.

I do hope you can locate it!! Was it an article focused on the making of the movie? Or was it more related to ASLV and his then 'new' church?

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here's a page with some nice stuff from The Devil's Rain.

That's wonderful Mr. Aquino. I'm greatly appreciative of the many resources you've shared here and you've given me a great deal to further contemplate...

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
Throughout history many cults, sects and religions have used sound and vibration, not to mention voicing, to expand/alter their consciousness.

In the lower portion of my post, I had mentioned the audio paint program. I find the Enochian calls and sound vibration experiments to be intriguing to experiment with in ritual context. I wanted to add sound, which I could lay under music I choose to play...sort of giving more audible significance to my Sigil play.

I ran a simple Baphomet pic through and acquired the sound. The one you'll hear today is fast, and seems like just noise BUT, I can drag the tones, change red, green and blue sensing etc...

I really have a lot of experimenting to do before finding anything truly satisfactory...

Sound of a Sigil.

#33559 - 01/04/10 06:14 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: Born]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

I ran a simple Baphomet pic through and acquired the sound. The one you'll hear today is fast, and seems like just noise BUT, I can drag the tones, change red, green and blue sensing etc...

I really have a lot of experimenting to do before finding anything truly satisfactory...

Ah I was hoping the focus of this thread would get off that silly language of angels and back to this without my persuasion…

There was another to mention frequencies recently, a healing frequency as well. While we know music can influence animals the science for frequency therapy seems rather infantile. While personal experimentation may be entertaining as long as these experiments are being done in a nonscientific manner any information gained is useless as any benefit is unproven.

It is a surety that geometric shapes can be rendered through software to create sound from image. I've found a free version of something called audio paint which changes images (any image) into sound.

It is a surety that you can also produce shapes from sound but there is usually an underlying structure that is not modified by whatever algorithm said program is running. This can be seen clearly in many music programs as visuals. Now with that being said anything coming from this visual to audio program is just random noise generated by this particular algorithm. We further learn in your latest post that there is the ability to alter the parameters of this program until you have a pleasing enough sound. This takes the place of the underlying structures I mentioned needed for visual programs.

Here is what you need to think about.

While you are creating sound from shape just what shape does your sound really represent? One of the parameters this program uses is how big the picture is. Therefore I am to believe that this same baphomet in two different sizes would render two different sounds. This is hardly acceptable or explainable to a scientific or rational mind as anything other than a toy.

In producing further experiments, I feel that adding such tones or experimenting with sound in general is an excellent addition to tapping into the subjective nature of our universe, be it through effecting yet unknown 'dimensional energies' or influencing positive outcome to our desires by planting extremely deep subconscious tones and images into our psyche. The definition lies solely with the practitioner as to just WHAT is being affected.

This reads like so much new age psychobabble. Whatever floats your boat you did put it under the occult. Good luck to you and the millions of others on YouTube playing with frequency generators and the like trying to find that magic frequency. Good luck with this and tapping into the universe as well. But like you say the definition lies solely with the practitioner. I guess if your belief of how rituals work is based in reality then no matter the sound as long as you believe it is effecting you to do something. But I still have to say even if you are only fooling yourself no matter the outcome how is this ever a good thing.

What makes everybody think there are no bad frequencies for the body (or universe?) as well?

My money is still on many will find destructive frequencies before beneficial ones but WHO WILL KNOW?

The last year or two I have been experimenting with dark ambiance. This program might become an interesting tool for something along those lines, to jumpstart a project maybe or other things. Of course a program like this with the popularity in frequencies and generators today would also make a hell of a carrier for a Trojan or other nasty.

I understand you’re having fun as long as it is kept in perspective. This shouldn’t be taken too seriously by anyone.

~T~

Edited by ta2zz (01/04/10 06:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed an unnecessary idea.

#33677 - 01/07/10 08:03 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: ta2zz]
111Cal Offline

A Truly awful film... however the ritual parts were very informative and I enjoyed it as "drive in B movie material"!
#33735 - 01/08/10 01:23 PM Re: An Experiment in Sound... [Re: 111Cal]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: 111Cal
A Truly awful film... however the ritual parts were very informative and I enjoyed it as "drive in B movie material"!

If you think The Devil's Rain was cheesy as a movie, you should have read the original book by Maud Willis:

Originally Posted By: Maud Willis
The leader (Corbis) was speaking again. “Come, O Lord of Evil, Prince of Darkness, come into me. Bless me as your Unholy Eucharist. Absorb my flesh and sponge my blood with your presence.” … The chanting became louder and more frantic:

Oh, Prince of Dark and Light,
Yea, Prince of Dark and Light …

The leader continued:

Send us your unholy might,
Help us reach your hallowed goal,
Possession of the world’s soul,
Transgress time and space this night,
Lord, stand before us in our sight!

[Corbis changes into the goat-demon.] He spoke:

From the farthest reaches of darkness
I come to you, my children, to free
another lost soul from the coward God,
that breaker of promises …

Suddenly he clapped his hands. “Bring forth the acolyte!” [The captive Mark Preston is dragged forward.] “Who vouches for this misbegotten soul who seeks entrance into the Black Void?” the leader boomed.

The raven-masked man answered, “I, Guide of Souls, do.”

The goat-demon intoned, “I, Jonathan Corbis, Keeper of the Black Void, shall purify and consecrate you in the name of Lucifer, Prince of Darkness. Child of Darkness, prepare yourself to accept the soul of a long-lost brother. Renounce all heavenly gods so that you may receive from me the bonds of death and all earthly pleasures.

“Eman Hetan!” Corbis chanted through his hirsute lips. “Eman Hetan! I am one with thee and thou art mine. I have nothing which is not thine. I cleanse you with the waters of oblivion from the River Lethe. In Lord Lucifer’s name, I anoint you his servant, Martin Fyfe. Having enhanced the Devil’s Rain with your putrid soul, open your eyes in service of Christsunday!”

[Preston:] “I, Martin Fyfe, reaffirm the Lord Demon, Lucifer, as my sole salvation. I swear to extend his will to all of mankind, so mote it be!”

Here's the same sequence as revised by Anton, John Dee, and yours truly:

Originally Posted By: ASLV, MAA, JD
Corbis: Hear me, O Lord of Life Everlasting! I, Jonathan Corbis, petition thee to let me be thy voice on Earth. O Master of the World, hear me, I petition thee. Hail, O Prince of the Abyss! In thy name let us behold the Father, the Ram of the Sun - the Moon - the Stars. Hail, O Deathless One!

[Corbis changes into the goat-demon.]

Corbis: Who calls me from out of the Pit?

Satanists: We, thy servants!

Corbis: What is thy purpose?

Satanists: To deliver up a soul!

Corbis: Has it been prepared?

High Priest [Anton LaVey]: It has.

Corbis: Then I command this soul to be purified by fire and water. O mighty light and burning flame of comfort, enter this body and cleanse it of its unworthy soul. Burn ... burn ... burn! In the name of Satan, Lord of Fire - In the name of Lucifer, King of Light - In the name of Belial, Master of the Earth! And now be sealed by the holy waters of forgetfulness. Zodacare! Ave Satanas! Martin Fyfe, my servant, come forth and claim the body I have prepared for you. Zodacare! Vaunigilaji! Open wide the mysteries of your creation unto this soul. Be friendly unto him, for I am the same: the true worshipper of the highest and most exalted King of Hell!

Preston: Praised be the Lord of Light and Darkness, who is my sole salvation.

Incidentally, if you have a version prior to the 2006 Dark Sky Films re-release of this DVD, consider upgrading. It's not that expensive, and the film quality is much improved from a new 35mm digital transfer. Also added is a director Fuest commentary, and a short newsreel clip of the famous first Satanic wedding by Anton [with a solemn, presumably pre-penis-blessed Isaac Bonewits as "worst man"].

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.