Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#34091 - 01/17/10 05:54 AM Atheistic Paganism
Baron dHolbach Offline

Atheistic Paganism can be compatible with my Satanism, which is LaVeyan. An atheistic pagan is someone who -

1. In public, or perhaps also in private, worships pagan gods while maintaining the private (or perhaps public) understanding that these gods represent potentials of the self, so that all such worship is self-worship.

2. In private (or perhaps public) practice of Greater Black Magic (GBM), imaginatively steps into the persona of a pagan god or mythic creature, in order to program the self with improved actualization of the potentials represented by the god or mythic creature.

A decade ago, I did the first with some Wiccans for a couple years, although I kept my understanding to myself. Worshipping Pan as a potential within myself was meaningful to me at the time, and I enjoyed the comraderie of my Wiccan compatriots.

My own preference nowadays would be to do the first with Odinists/Asatruar, as I enjoy the beauty of Norse myth, and am working with potentials of the self that are well represented by the god Thor; I.e., karate and cardio kickboxing.

I occasionally do the second of the above, and here again, Thor would be a good choice for where I am at the present, although it turns out I used Ares instead when I was re-programming myself for martial arts.

If I were programming myself to be better at Lesser Black Magic (LBM), I might imaginatively step into the persona of Loki; if instead the potential to be actualized was empirical investigation, then Odin.

I sometimes work with the image of Shiva the Destroyer, whom I clarify for myself as Shiva the Destroyer of Illusion. When I do this, I will imagine Shiva with four arms, and those four arms will represent either (a) skepticism, pragmatism, realism, and cynicism; or else, (b) empiricism, Atheism, Existentialism, and Satanism.

The main value of atheistic paganism is that it allows the Atheist to make use of the rich treasure of ancient myth. If myths don't speak to you, then atheistic paganism is a waste of your time.

#34092 - 01/17/10 06:17 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Baron dHolbach]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

Loc: Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria...
As I've stated elsewhere on these boards I love mythology. I've studied a little bit of Joseph Campbell and I love the interviews I saw.

Mythology is a rich, deep source of inspiration. The well has been dug over Millenia. Why not draw from it? There is an extaordinary amount of power to be drawn from it.

#34093 - 01/17/10 07:17 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
An atheistic pagan is someone who -

1. In public, or perhaps also in private, worships pagan gods while maintaining the private (or perhaps public) understanding that these gods represent potentials of the self, so that all such worship is self-worship.

Atheistic pagan? I might as well be a christian Atheist..
Tell me why a person would get in his mind to worship a pagan god, while in fact crying out he/she doesn't believe in it. Fuck the symbolism you apply to it. Hanging on to symbolism is equally worse as hanging on to an imaginative creature.

The belief in symbols, or creatures having a certain symbolism attached to it, does not take away the fact you are hanging on to possible illogical fallacies.
Just as saying you see Satan/Set/Pan as a symbolical metaphore is simply not good enough to differ yourself from the herd.

Edited by Dimitri (01/17/10 07:39 AM)

#34095 - 01/17/10 07:31 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Dimitri]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

Loc: Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria...
 Quote:
Hanging on to symbolism is equally worse as hanging on to an imaginative creature.

With all due respect, isn't hanging on to symbolism what we're all doing? Satan is a MYTHOLOGICAL symbol. We're obviously got something to do with a symbol because we're SATANists.

Edited by PeteOfTheDead (01/17/10 07:33 AM)

#34096 - 01/17/10 07:31 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Dimitri]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
Atheistic pagan? I might as well be a christian atheist.

No. Christian myth does not in any way lend itself to the Left Hand Path or to any kind of empowerment the Satanist would be seeking to actualize.

Quote:
Tell me why a person would get in his mind to worship a pagan god, while in fact crying out he/she doesn't believe in it.

Self-worship. I had explained that already in my original post, but I'll add this: Worshipping the potentials of the self can operate as a kind of GBM.

Quote:
Fuck the symbolism you apply to it.

Especially effective if you're male and the symbol is female. Fucking the goddess is a time-honored pagan mythic psychodrama. \:\)

Quote:
Hanging on to symbolism is equally worse as hanging on to an imaginative creature.

Blatantly false. The imagination is a powerful tool for the self-aware and self-masterful. The Satanic Bible makes use of demonic symbolism; I.e., Satan, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan; and for precisely the same reason that one might employ pagan mythic symbolism, that reason being, it works. Myth has psychological power that can be employed successfully for self-programming.

#34099 - 01/17/10 08:36 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
With all due respect, isn't hanging on to symbolism what we're all doing? Satan is a MYTHOLOGICAL symbol. We're obviously got something to do with a symbol because we're SATANists.

As far as I see is that the name "Satanism" only has a symbolical significance. Nowhere in the philosophy is being said that you must adhere or worship symbols. There is only mentioned that people need drama. Satanic rituals (as I see it) is pure leisure for those who have problems of letting go off the bed-time stories religion likes to tell and spread.
You can use the symbolism and/or gods, yet it is not a BASIC quality to label yourself as such.

Quote:

No. Christian myth does not in any way lend itself to the Left Hand Path or to any kind of empowerment the Satanist would be seeking to actualize.

Neither does paganism. The "atheistic Christian" was only an example to indicate that "atheistic paganism" also is pure nonsense.

Quote:
Blatantly false. The imagination is a powerful tool for the self-aware and self-masterful. The Satanic Bible makes use of demonic symbolism; I.e., Satan, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan; and for precisely the same reason that one might employ pagan mythic symbolism, that reason being, it works. Myth has psychological power that can be employed successfully for self-programming.

Imagination just stays what it is: IMAGINATION. A dream cannot become reality how hard you think of it. What does it matter Lucifer, Satan, Belial,... have a certain symbolism to it if you still are imagining.
In my everyday life I'm not asking Lucifer to "enlighten" me when having a hard time since he is the symbol representing wisdom, knowledge.. . Instead I pick up a book and start reading. If having a bad day, I'm not going to invoke some demon, instead I lift up my head and do something about it.

No symbols needed, no demons needed, no gods needed. I have a backbone and use my skills to achieve in life. You can call up your symbols and feel happy about it, I take a firm grip on reality and start kicking ass. You can guess which of the two is most successful.

And what the hell is GBM? Greater Black magic? What should I "imagine" then? A giant nigger doing a seduction dance?
The only thing I know is magic which is nothing more then applied psychology.

#34103 - 01/17/10 10:32 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Dimitri]
JWG Offline
pledge

Baron,

I think most of us see what you are getting at, and I personally agree with you. If it works for *you*, then great! You are using their ideas and known characteristic as a psychological focus on that particular thing. As you mentioned "Working" with Ares, the God of War, to focus your self and put your self in the mind set that would help you embrace and fully enjoy the new thing in your life, martial arts. I think this concept is seen as a bit of a crutch or problem to some LaVeyan Satanists as they see it as sinking back into being "controlled" by that symbol, archetype, etc and no longer acting as ones own "God." But the fact remains, you are *consciously* using them at certain times to "invoke" a sort of change in your psyche or self that better helps you work at and accomplish a task or a new challenge. If others choose not to, that's their decision; but I don't think this practice is anything to look down upon because they choose not to accomplish their feats and tasks this way. The skill of being able to "consciously" use these archetype and "empower" them to work in your advantage is a great level of conscious, psyche-o-logical (he he) control of yourself.

#34104 - 01/17/10 10:43 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
JWG Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel

I don't need Odin, or Thor, or Loki, or Tyr, or Frey, or Baldir, or any of the other Ęsir. I have me.

Nitpickers could argue that I don't need Satan either, which is, of course, their prerogative. Satan is obviously made-up, but he represents rebellion, being adversarial, ascension and strength through strength. There are many archetypes like this one, but taking the central boogeyman of the xtian faith and turning him into yourself represents tongue-in-cheek on an epic scale, individualism beyond the pale and a will to power that would shame Nietzsche. I take the imagery, the role and the attitude of Satan to mean me, not through any form of supernatural worship, but as a giant 'fuck you' to everyone who prostrates themselves in the name of faith, symbolizing my inherently superior position to theirs. I embrace what is labelled 'sinful', 'carnal', visceral' and 'profane'.

"I have me."- Maw

Yes, but as you later said you do *consciously* "use" the symbol/archetype of the figure Satan as a symbol and the chosen characteristics that Satan represents to resonate with how you choose to act. This is no different than how some move on to use other archetypes to help them use their characteristics and what they "stand for" to focus their self on (Ares for martial arts, etc). Nothing supernatural or "falling back into being controlled-by) type thing. Just as most everyone here resonates with the archetype Satan in this way, many choose to use others to further other areas they wish to use the same concept for. Just like using Satan as a symbol for "rebellion", we must stay conscious to the fact that *we* are the ones giving it significance in our life, and it is nothing more than that in reality. The great thing, throughout all of this, we all still "have me." \:\)

#34107 - 01/17/10 11:00 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
JWG Offline
pledge

I'm sorry if I didn't get what I mean to say communicated correctly. I am not saying to use them as an idol to worship or anything. I think your first paragraph sums up what I mean. Using the archetype and "becoming" it, works well for me in what I intended to describe. Not feeling less than it or even (outside of the "ritual chamber" or Working that you *may* choose to do) that "it" is anything other than a man-made idea or creation. Just as you "become" what Satan represents, you may use other archetypes in the same way. We're on the same page, I just can't communicate it the right way. ;\)

No different? It is different in every way that matters. I have the me I am becoming. Satan only assists me to the extent that I assist myself. There is no outside factor, no idol to worship. The Satanic archetype is useful as imagery. It is made-up, and I accept it as such. I make it mine, and thereby I become it.

In ritual, there is psychodrama. If someone wants to use the imagery of Loki, they are taking a being which was created with the express purpose of being worshipped. They are taking something that was meant to be revered, and revere it. Who in their right mind would worship a made-up boogeyman? Someone unafraid of the consequences, who would take whatever's uncomfortable and make it their bitch. Now, imagine they worship themselves *as* that boogeyman, and you're there.

Any and all made-up deities are there to be worshipped for divine favour. They have memetic qualities to be adopted by the faithful. In going the opposite way, one finds insight by doing the very things that RHP practitioners fear. The freedom in such a pursuit is so great that it cannot be expressed in words.

Bow down before another idol and limit yourself. Make reality bow down before you and feel the freedom.

#34111 - 01/17/10 11:32 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Dimitri]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: Dimitri

As far as I see is that the name "Satanism" only has a symbolical significance.

True. The sentence would also be true if the word "only" were deleted from it.

Quote:
Nowhere in the philosophy is being said that you must adhere or worship symbols.

True. Nor is that said in anything I wrote.

Quote:
There is only mentioned that people need drama.

Even that is a stronger statement than LaVey would have made, or that I would make. Drama is a tool. If it serves your purpose, use it; otherwise, leave it sitting in the toolbox.

Quote:
Satanic rituals (as I see it) is pure leisure for those who have problems of letting go off the bed-time stories religion likes to tell and spread.

That can be true for people who think they're communicating with some external entity named Satan, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan, etc. For people who understand that symbols represent potentials within the self, Satanic ritual, or any ritual, pagan or otherwise, is self-programming. I get the impression you have never experimented with self-programming. That is a choice you have made and if it works for you, fine; in fact, even if it doesn't work for you, that's fine too, as far as I'm concerned, since it's none of my business.

Quote:
You can use the symbolism and/or gods, yet it is not a BASIC quality to label yourself as such.

Nowhere in anything I wrote is there any discussion of labeling oneself pagan. I employ other labels, such as Atheist, empiricist, materialist, Existentialist, Satanist, because these labels communicate facts about my thoughts and behavior. In any case, I don't know what you mean by a "basic" quality. If you mean something like, "Baron is saying that pagan symbols are mandatory for GBM," then I will correct that statement, and say instead that no particular symbol is mandatory for GBM, not even the inverted Pentagram, not even the name of Satan. In GBM, nothing is mandatory, all is open, all is free.

Quote:
Neither does paganism. The "atheistic Christian" was only an example to indicate that "atheistic paganism" also is pure nonsense.

The example fails to communicate because Christianity is Right Hand Path whereas pagan myths can be employed either for Right Hand Path or Left Hand Path; in fact, much of pagan mythology works far more gracefully as vehicles for the LHP. The notion of LHP Christian symbology is self-contradictory and thus nonsense; whereas, the notion of LHP pagan symbology is not.

Quote:

Imagination just stays what it is: IMAGINATION. A dream cannot become reality how hard you think of it. What does it matter Lucifer, Satan, Belial,... have a certain symbolism to it if you still are imagining.

This is where you make it clear that you don't employ, and may not understand, GBM, or the broader domain of activities of which GBM is an example, namely, self-programming. When programming the self, imagination does in fact become reality, on the Subjective plane.

Quote:
In my everyday life I'm not asking Lucifer to "enlighten" me when having a hard time since he is the symbol representing wisdom, knowledge...

Neither am I. Prayer is RHP, first of all, and more importabntly, Lucifer doesn't exist, so praying to him would be pointless. Nowhere in anything I wrote do you find any hint of a suggestion that anyone should pray to anything for any reason.

Quote:
Instead I pick up a book and start reading. If having a bad day, I'm not going to invoke some demon...

Neither do I. I have never invoked, or suggested that anyone might want to invoke, any demon, god, angel, elf, or other imaginary entity.

Quote:
...instead I lift up my head and do something about it.

Same here. In some cases, when I need to push myself into new potentials, I will use GBM to expand my psychological capabilities. I don't think you have any idea what I mean by that, partly because you have never even contemplated the possibility of self-overcoming, of the Ubermensch.

Quote:

No symbols needed, no demons needed, no gods needed. I have a backbone and use my skills to achieve in life. You can call up your symbols and feel happy about it, I take a firm grip on reality and start kicking ass. You can guess which of the two is most successful.

There is no contradiction between employing GBM on the one hand, and taking a firm grip on reality and kicking ass on the other. I employ GBM to unlock my deeper potentials for kicking ass, and then I stand up, position myself on the balls of my feet, and let fly with a roundhouse kick to the universe's posterior, or to the heavy bag if I happen to be at the dojo.

For mastering the Objective, hammer and saw; for mastering the Subjective of other people, LBM; for mastering one's own Subjective, GBM. Hopefully that's clear enough to be understood. But it will only make sense if you grasp the possibility and the desirability of self-overcoming, the Ubermensch.

Quote:
And what the hell is GBM? Greater Black magic? What should I "imagine" then? A giant nigger doing a seduction dance?
The only thing I know is magic which is nothing more then applied psychology.

GBM is, in fact, applied psychology. But what I think you're talking about (aside from your nigger comment) is stage magic, which isn't what I'm talking about when I refer to GBM, but rather is an example of LBM. GBM is psychology applied to the self; whereas, LBM, one example being stage magic, is psychology applied to others. Here again, your last sentence above would be equally true with words deleted, those words being, "nothing more than." Magic is applied psychology, be it GBM or LBM. But here's the thing: psychology is the mightiest force there is, on the Subjective. It is utterly impotent on the Objective, but on the Subjective it is power, supreme, invincible, when skillfully employed, smartly, bravely, and with discipline.

#34112 - 01/17/10 11:48 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Other archetypes are normative. Satan is prohibitive.

Not for me he isn't. He's normative. It's just that his normative aspect is one of hedonism and prudence. By taking on Satan as a symbol, I take on the principles of hedonism and prudence.

Quote:
Even Loki was normative, by the standards of his day.

True, but from a Left Hand Path perspective. Loki was a Left Hand Path deity, and any who took him on as a symbol were taking on Left Hand Path personality aspects.

Quote:
Don't buy the hype. Doing what is 'wrong', doing what puts you outside the 'comfort zone', is what it's all about.

Well, it's often fun, at least.

But one can do what's "right" as a means of getting what one wants or avoiding what one doesn't want. In such a scenario, doing what's "right" becomes LHP.

Quote:
Nothing worth doing was ever done easily.

Well, masturbating is pretty easy. \:\)

Quote:
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

No, it makes you a big flaming asshole - or gives you one. \:\)

Quote:
For all you know, that is what I'm doing, but that is neither here nor there. The only person that matters to is me.

Exactly.

Quote:
Buying into all the other archetypes means buying into the memetic virus. I buy into me.

The memetic virus thing is overstated, I think, because pagan myths contain LHP elements that are profitably exploited by those who know how. But certainly the point is to master the meme, not to be mastered by it.

#34113 - 01/17/10 11:54 AM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
True. The sentence would also be true if the word "only" were deleted from it.

Care to elaborate on that?

Quote:
That can be true for people who think they're communicating with some external entity named Satan, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan, etc. For people who understand that symbols represent potentials within the self, Satanic ritual, or any ritual, pagan or otherwise, is self-programming. I get the impression you have never experimented with self-programming. That is a choice you have made and if it works for you, fine; in fact, even if it doesn't work for you, that's fine too, as far as I'm concerned, since it's none of my business.

Apart from my views and experience on and with rituals..
Your potential should be clear to yourself. YOU should know what you can and what you cannot. The use of symbols representing a certain skill/potential only indicates the lack of this knowledge. And after all, using a wide variety of tools to benefit yourself is still a good thing. Only thing what should be known is how to handle them and the why you need and handle them.

Quote:
Nowhere in anything I wrote is there any discussion of labeling oneself pagan. I employ other labels, such as atheist, empiricist, materialist, Existentialist, Satanist, because these labels communicate facts about my thoughts and behavior. In any case, I don't know what you mean by a "basic" quality. If you mean something like, "Baron is saying that pagan symbols are mandatory for GBM," then I will correct that statement, and say instead that no particular symbol is mandatory for GBM, not even the inverted pentagram, not even the name of Satan. In GBM, nothing is mandatory, all is open, all is free.

I'm only stating that the use of ritual and symbolism is not a basic quality of Satanism. This does not mean I am stating that there is no room for the use thereof.

Quote:
The example fails to communicate because Christianity is Right Hand Path whereas pagan myths can be employed either for Right Hand Path or Left Hand Path; in fact, much of pagan mythology works far more gracefully as vehicles for the LHP.

Satan is a part of the Chrisitan mythos, yet Satanism is LHP and Christianity considered RHP. As far as that argument goes.
I shall put it a little more simplistic: or you are an Atheist or you are a theist. Do you believe in pagan mythos? Then you are a theist, if not Atheist. The definition of Atheist is quite simple: Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the position that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities. as from wikipedia . This implies that there is no belief in imaginative creatures NOR the symbols their names are linked to and which they represent.
Therefor I see that "Christian atheists" and "Atheistic pagans" are pure illogical phallacies.

Quote:
This is where you make it clear that you don't employ, and may not understand, GBM, or the broader domain of activities of which GBM is an example, namely, self-programming. When programming the self, imagination does in fact become reality, on the Subjective plane.

No assumptions please. It's the same as having experienced NDE and then stating that if you saw the white tunnel of light that people should be convinced there is an afterlife (which in my case just gave the opposite reaction).

Quote:
There is no contradiction between employing GBM on the one hand, and taking a firm grip on reality and kicking ass on the other. One employs GBM to unlock one's deeper potentials for kicking ass, and then one stands up, positions oneself on the balls of one's feet, and lets fly with a roundhouse kick to the universe's posterior.

As mentioned before, it only is a sign you haven't got the knowledge on what your own potential is. Magic in this case becomes dangerous because of its self-delusional nature.

Edited by Dimitri (01/17/10 12:05 PM)

#34121 - 01/17/10 02:26 PM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
If a fella is autotheistic, uses mythology as a focus point for greater magic, is atheistic and lives and exists as a Satanist does..

What you have right there is a Satanist. The flavour of mythology that the individual practitioner of Satanism finds stimulating is neither here nor there, it is the methodology that distinguishes it as Satanism or 'something else' No need to reinvent the wheel and bring in new terminology when nothing new is even being described. Atheistic Paganism? Really? Those are both words that don't really even describe anything meaningful separately, much less mashed together..

Really just an etymological disagreement though. You seem to be developing a good grasp of the theory behind Satanic magic, even if you for some reason feel compelled to append the word 'black' to it. I guess I should be thankful you aren't spelling it with a 'k'! \:\)

#34123 - 01/17/10 02:47 PM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Dan_Dread]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
If a fella is autotheistic, uses mythology as a focus point for greater magic, is atheistic and lives and exists as a Satanist does..

What you have right there is a Satanist.

Yup. I agree.

Quote:
The flavour of mythology that the individual practitioner of Satanism finds stimulating is neither here nor there, it is the methodology that distinguishes it as Satanism or 'something else'

Still agreeing.

Quote:
No need to reinvent the wheel and bring in new terminology when nothing new is even being described. Atheistic Paganism? Really? Those are both words that don't really even describe anything meaningful separately, much less mashed together..

Really just an etymological disagreement though.

Yes. Semantics. But edifying dialogue is often stirred up by mere semantic triggers. I wasn't overly surprised by the push-back I got to this thread. But I am a little surprised at the persistence of some of it, even after I explained myself further. I'm not talking about your post.

Quote:
You seem to be developing a good grasp of the theory behind Satanic magic,

Thank you.

Quote:
even if you for some reason feel compelled to append the word 'black' to it. I guess I should be thankful you aren't spelling it with a 'k'! \:\)

I hate the damn "k"! \:\)

My use of the "B" in LBM and GBM is just habit, really. Somewhere along the way I picked up those acronyms and have continued to carry them. To some extent the "black" is just fun for me, in a Hallowe'en sort of way.

#34128 - 01/17/10 03:18 PM Re: Atheistic Paganism [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
It would seem that your use of various myths during rites is closer to chaos magic.

Most Satanist's associate pagan beliefs with the wiccian hippie culture.

Do whatever works for you during rites, but if it is a matter of a sustained belief in "god type figures" then you are more along the lines of back to worshiping some god on your knees.

M

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.