Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#34242 - 01/19/10 10:25 PM I have questions...
GodIsAMyth Offline
stranger

However after reading some of the threads and threats I am damn near mortified to ask them, but here goes.

I read the Satanic Bible (a long time ago). I agreed with all of the Nine Satanic Statements as well as the The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth. I have always felt like I should be a Satanist, but have never committed myself to it.

I don't believe in any kind of supernatural power. I have never tried magic, but I kind of feel like it is possible (which throws my supernatural beliefs out the window).

Is Satanism a lifestyle or a mindset?

I don't believe in a loving god. I claim to be an Atheist because the concept of god as anything other than a fairy tale is ridiculous to me, but I have always felt a dark presence within me.

I was raised Pentacostal and seemed to have an aversion to church from a very early age. I puked when I was baptized.

I know all of this may seem trvial and silly to some or most of you, but I would appreciate some helpful answers and even constructive criticism.

I guess my main question is where do I start?

#34244 - 01/19/10 11:16 PM Re: I have questions... [Re: GodIsAMyth]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
 Quote:

I tend to think that one begets the other. Satanism is very much a mindset for me as I go about my day. This mindset has become a practice which is now a lifestyle for me. While time and experience add greater understanding of the world the core of my philosophy remains the same; satanic. Some one once told me that Satanism makes for a great primer onto which other things can be applied.

Quote:

You started 41 years ago where do you want to be now? If you are looking for an honest answer to your question then I would say just be. Be who you are. If you tend to find comfort or motivation in a classically styled ritual than do them. I am more of a bone dry Atheist so I rarely do rituals in a classic satanic format. Ritual of course is just one part of the philosophy to consider.

First I would say re-read TSB with a more critical eye one more time. There is a ridiculous wealth of reading that has been recommended on this site, read them all.

There is a certain type of bold individual who is satanic even if they never utter the title or hear it spoken. Understanding the basic ideas is the first step. At that point if your personality matches, those ideas/ideals will seed and blossom if not you will move onto the next thing.

Here is your first test... choose wisely.

Door number 1

or...

Door number 2

Good Luck,
Delusion

#34245 - 01/19/10 11:37 PM Re: I have questions... [Re: GodIsAMyth]
Simon Jester Offline
stranger

Hello there...

Quote:

Satanism is typically defined by the individual. Some may view it as a representation of the carnal aspects of life, others as a counterpoint to magian entrenchment.

Quote:

Read. Read. Read.

#34250 - 01/20/10 04:02 AM Re: I have questions... [Re: GodIsAMyth]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: GodIsAMyth
I agreed with all of the 9 Satanic Statements as well as the The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth. I have always felt like I should be a Satanist, but have never committed myself to it.

Anyone can agree with the 9 & 11 without personally being a Satanist. The 9, for example, were just condensed extracts from Galt's speech in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, which would probably make you a Randian.

Quote:
I don't believe in any kind of supernatural power. I have never tried magic, but I kind of feel like it is possible (which throws my supernatural beliefs out the window).

The Satanic Bible contains an Invocation to Satan in which you swear yourself to him and request results from that allegiance. It works, but only if you are serious. If you treat it like a joke, play-acting, or as mere symbolic rhetoric, you might as well save your breath. The same holds true for the Rite of Satanic Baptism in the Satanic Rituals. These are what formally consecrate a Satanist as such; and thereafter, for the rest of your life and beyond, there is no turning back.

Quote:

It is neither. It is an awakening of your soul to the divinity which the Prince of Darkness has placed therein. Once that occurs, everything radiating from you flows from it, no matter in what circumstances you find yourself. You will not need to "pursue" either a lifestyle or a mindset, because they will simply reflect what you are.

Quote:
I don't believe in a loving god. I claim to be an Atheist because the concept of god as anything other than a fairy tale is ridiculous to me, but I have always felt a dark presence within me.

Judæo-Christianity is, in a word, nonsense [including its scarecrow-imagery of "Satan"]. The sacred fire within each sentient being is not. You just have to become aware of it, and then have the courage and commitment to awaken it - which is always and inescapably a personal quest.

Quote:
I was raised Pentacostal and seemed to have an aversion to church from a very early age. I puked when I was baptized.

I was baptized a Lutheran by Pastor Niemöller when he visited San Francisco after WW2. It didn't take either.

Quote:
I know all of this may seem trvial and silly to some or most of you, but I would appreciate some helpful answers and even constructive criticism.

Neither trivial nor silly. It is the most fundamental question you can put to yourself, and most people expend their incarnate existence without doing so.

Quote:

By making the decision to swear yourself to the Prince of Darkness. And don't make that decision either hastily or lightly. Indeed I have always recommended that individuals examine and exhaust every lesser option first, because you may find some other religion, ideology, or informal habit that completely satisfies you. In which case why should you open this door at all?

Here in this forum, indeed, are a great many intelligent, intellectual, and sincere people who are actually atheists, but who enjoy styling themselves "Satanists" because that is a much more exotic and glamorous image. If you like that idea, you will find it highly, painstakingly, and comfortably polished herein.

#34260 - 01/20/10 08:22 AM Re: I have questions... [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
Satanism is suitheist.

Wow. You sent me to the dictionary on that one - only to discover that neither of my college-level dictionaries had the word! Fortunately, Wikipedia did.

More on your statement after I quote another of your sentences. But first a detour.

Quote:
I, and other Satanists on this site, have seen no evidence of such a being, and neither have we any interest in looking for it.

Count me in with you, because I interpret mystical experience as occuring strictly on, and having relevance strictly to, the Subjective. Which isn't by any means to to say that such experience lacks real and useful power. The Subjective is as real as the Objective. Power on the Subjective is as real and useful as power on the Objective. We merely need to understand the differences in how the two forms of power operate.

Quote:
I am my own god.

The lower case "g" makes your sentence work for me. I had said previously that I don't like and don't use the metaphor, "I am my own God." But the upper case "G" makes all the difference there. I won't say, or even imply, even metaphorically, that I am omnipotent, omniscient, eternal, or the genesis of all matter and probability. But a lower case "g" god is a different matter entirely and I can embrace that metaphor, thus permitting me to agree that my Satanism is suitheistic. Still, I prefer to say that my Satanism is suidemonic.

Quote:
The day I need a step-by-step manual to find my way onto god's throne is the day I shouldn't get there.

Very well said. Would make a good signature. \:\)

Quote:

You can find your path through bitter experience, tasting life in its manifold pain, ecstacy, grief, joy, mystery, inscrutability and every sensation known to man. Learn. Live. Experience. Try. Ascend.

Speaking strictly metaphorically, "Satan helps those who help themselves."

#34261 - 01/20/10 08:24 AM Re: I have questions... [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
111Cal Offline

The fact is that Anton LaVey did in fact go on the record stating that Satan existed. Check out his statements in the Satanic Bible and Rituals as well as in the Satanis and Witchcraft 70 films. The Problem is that he contradicted himself later on. So, as an outsider, it is hard to tell how much of what LaVey said was what he really felt and how much was for the media.

That being said, I have never questioned the integrity of Dr. Aquino. I do not know 100% what LaVey truly believed, but I am sure that he at least made statements to and/or gave the impression to Dr. Aquino that he DID in face believe in a literal "Satan". Dr. Aquino is not alone in this view, as others from the pre-schism CoS split with him and others such as Ed Webber, have verified Dr. Aquinos views.

Does that mean that LaVey believed in a literal Satan? Possibly, Possibly not. We all know that LaVey truly enjoyed "mythmaking" and the creations of his own life story bear that out. (that is not an insult at all, I respected LaVey a great deal and dont think it matters). He enjoyed creating a new set of facts about his life and a lot of that was the old carny mindset. In my eyes, it's completely possible that he NEVER believed in a literal Satan at all---- BUT that he may have told people that he did and enjoyed the "game" of it all. Perhaps he misled Dr. Aquino on some level to perpetuate his own image? I don't know. Perhaps, he DID in fact believe in a literal Satan at one point and changed his mind? Or maybe just decided to keep that fact to himself? Or Maybe he never truly believed it at all and was just role playing with those in the pre-1975 CoS that DID feel that way. I cannot say...

Even the post LaVey CoS has made similar statements. Blanche Barton has repeatedly claimed that LaVey believed in Satan as a literal being... and then says the exact opposite. Its often a case of semantics.... does she mean a literal "Satan" as an individual entity? or a "life force" or what? Again, its left a bit vague... perhaps on purpose.

Whether or not one agrees with Dr. Aquinos version of Satanism or not, it is unfair for anyone to question his integrity.

I just find it sad that he and LaVey never got a chance to bury the hatchet.... I am sure that despite their differences, had they an opportunity to sit down over a few drinks and talk on a personal level, perhaps they could have found a level on which to remain friendly.

Edited by 111Cal (01/20/10 08:46 AM)

#34271 - 01/20/10 11:06 AM I yam what I yam! - Popeye [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

In these heady days of runaway "postmodernism", anyone can style himself whatever he pleases, and redefine words to, as Cinderella's stepsister said of the glass slipper, "make it fit!".

As noted above, accordingly, I am not condemning any Atheist here for self-gratification. Be happy!

#34274 - 01/20/10 01:54 PM Re: I yam what I yam! - Popeye [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
There have been some interesting and informative answers given to the original poster, but I feel I can offer some insight from a slightly different perspective.

Firstly, on the matter of Satans existence, I feel the wrong questions are being asked. It's not 'does' Satan exist but 'how' does Satan exist. Satans 'existence is quite obvious to me but not as an entity or consciousness but as a self replicating memeplex that has been floating around in the collective unconsciousness of mankind since time immemorial. The ability of this memeplex to alter causal reality through altering our causal brains, and hence what that brain is doing, gives him a measure of control over our subjective reality. Of course there are also 16 bazillion other memeplexes out there effecting us in the same way.

Satanists could of course be described as atheists but I don't feel the term 'Atheist' is particularly useful in this context, and often even misleading. Calling us 'atheists' reduces the subject to a rather judeo-christian notion of yes/no cosmology, while the actual meat and potatoes of the religion have little to nothing to do with that question.

Besides the word 'Atheist' doesn't really describe anything besides the rejection of certain faith based notions that are neither here nor there. Satanists are only 'atheists' in contrast to those that hold silly beliefs with no epistemological leg to stand on( which unfortunately is almost everyone).

Everyone has the notion of 'wonder' and 'mystery' inside them. Satanists just turn this inward rather than outward.

#34277 - 01/20/10 03:51 PM I yam a synchronous snapshot. - Popeye [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
The same may very well be said of your steadfast assertion of Set's existence. The world runs perfectly well, and despite your recurrent claims that there's a Set-shaped hole in our perception of reality, I fail to see any use for it. And still you manage to squeeze him in there. He may have some subjective reality to you, but to me he is a made-up friend. Who am I to take him away from you?

Quite true: To persons unable to perceive Set, it is least troubling to dismiss him [and the other neteru] as mere figments of imagination. I don't mind that. What are dangerous are those who can't see, but are afraid of those they suspect do.

Originally Posted By: Captain Nemo
Imagine what would happen if they controlled machines such as this submarine boat. Far better that they think there's a monster and hunt me with harpoons.

I somehow can't visualize Popeye saying, "What I am is a synchronous snapshot of my state at any one time, while I'm engaged in my growth over time, or a diachronous observation." But it might bring Bluto up short, and dazzle Olive Oyl at that.

Quote:
However you may label it in your mind, it doesn't alter my state, my conviction or indeed my mind in any way before I see any good reason to. But that's OK. If it gives you any kind of satisfaction, go right ahead, but as mentioned above, I doubt you give my contention that I'm a Satanist much thought during a given day. When and if you do, I guess you're satisfied you're correct in your assumptions, which doesn't make your opinion more true. (Or any less, which is why it's beside the point.)

Um, O.K. I [and other people, and Set] call me a Setian because I acknowledge his existence and am one of his Priests. When all I could perceive was his corrupted image as the Judæo-Christian Satan, I was a Satanist. When before that I was an existentialist, not perceiving or believing in anything other than my physical senses, I was an existentialist. That's not as sexy as "Satanist" at cocktail parties, but it was intellectually honest.

Quote:
I quite enjoy picking at your ideas, and to have you pick at mine.

If you're convinced my ideas are imaginary, why bother to pick at them? You might as well try to grasp a handful of air. As for your ideas, I have just said [again] that I don't mind them as they satisfy and pleasure you. At worst you'll confuse other people who generally give "Satanist" its traditional meaning, but if you want to do the "I'm-a-Satanist-but-I-don't-believe-in-Satan!" softshoe, hey, be my guest.

Quote:
I just don't buy into the discrete existence of Set, neteru or ylem.

Well, if you're a Big Banger, you have to believe in George Gamow's ylem, because that was what supposedly Banged. [Which has nothing to do with the neteru.]

Quote:
Why do you need Set at all?

I don't think that I "needed" Set in 1975 any more than I "needed" Satan in 1969. I was back then, as still today, simply interested in the truth about things, in this case the phenomena of consciousness and free will. When I came to recognize the Prince of Darkness as the source of these, all sorts of things clicked into place. And continue to do so. By now I have almost everything figured out, but I'm still working on Klein Bottles. Also I'm certain that the Earth was originally perpendicular on its axis, at which time everything down here was much neater, and one of these days I am thinking of straightening it out again. Which season would you prefer to be stuck in?

#34279 - 01/20/10 04:54 PM Re: I yam a synchronous snapshot. - Popeye [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
GodIsAMyth Offline
stranger

Thanks folks. This isn't going to be as easy as I thought it would be, but I am finally at a place where I want to go ahead with what I know is in my heart. As I have been told to do, I will read read read!
#34280 - 01/20/10 05:06 PM A remark [Re: GodIsAMyth]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
This isn't going to be as easy as I thought it would be, but I am finally at a place where I want to go ahead with what I know is in my heart. As I have been told to do, I will read read read!

To read is one thing, to understand is another and to experience is YET another.
Reading alone might help the understanding if only the thinking is applied. To experience is applying the understanding in your life.
Many read much, fewer understood and less than few have experienced. Weirdly enough, those who claim to have experienced and read the most fail badly at the understanding part.

A recent comment I made on my facebook page to draw attention to the few thinking individuals in my friendlist read as followed: "Er zit een subtiel probleem in de kunst van het spreken en het kunnen duidelijk maken over wat je zit te spreken. Maar het grootste probleem zit hem in de juiste bewoording van de uitleg."

Or translated : There is a subtle problem between the art of speech and the art of making clear what you are talking about. But the biggest problem lies within the usage of the correct wording for your explanation.

With this remark I am trying to say that you should know what you are talking about, that a clear understanding should be apparent. This helps a lot for the path you have chosen. If you state a belief in Satan or Set ( or a non-belief) you should be able to explain this (non)-belief and to motivate your explanation. Take a look at this and let it sink down a little. It might talk about Atheism, but I can also sit comfortable on my chair making video's wherin I state that someone might be too stupid to be a Christian/Satanist/Atheist/Setian/discordian/Buddhist/... while using the same arguments.

Enjoy !

Edited by Dimitri (01/20/10 05:20 PM)

#34281 - 01/20/10 05:29 PM Re: A remark [Re: Dimitri]
GodIsAMyth Offline
stranger

Dimitri, I know what I feel and I know what I think...but I have always had trouble expressing those thoughts and feelings to others. I have no intentions of trying to argue my feelings about Satanism or of trying to convince anyone to hop on board with me. Being an Atheist is hard enough, yet I continuously spew my thoughts and feelings about that where ever I can capture an audience (mostly on FB where 85% of my friends are christians).

I have every intention of opening my heart and mind to this, but I think I'll keep it to myself at least until I have a basic grasp of what the hell I'm talking about.

So far from this thread I have learned that I have a lot to learn. As with any set of beliefs this one seems to have just as many alternatives as most others.

#34319 - 01/21/10 09:00 AM Re: A remark [Re: GodIsAMyth]
111Cal Offline

Whats most important, I think... is that you simply remain true to yourself.... a lot of different opinions and points of view are on this board. You have some LaVey traditionalists, who prefer the post 1975-LaVeys death period of the CoS, you have some that have a theistic take on Satanism, you have some that atually prefer the current CoS and Gilmores goth influenced/vampire fetish style....

whatever works for you, works for you... and although you should keep an open mind--- the only one you need to please, is yourself.

#34838 - 01/30/10 06:46 PM Re: A remark [Re: 111Cal]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
GodIsAMyth, you inadvertently caused, or rekindled, an argument between MawhrinSkel and Dr. Aquino. While I have enjoyed the exchange, I’m not sure it has done you much good.

The beauty of Satanism, in my humble opinion, is its simplicity. Who runs your life? You run your life. That's Satanism – and despite all our differences, I don’t think you’ll find anyone here disputing this fundamental idea.

I want to go back to your initial post on this thread. You said you’ve “never tried magic, but I kind of feel like it is possible (which throws my supernatural beliefs out the window).”

I would challenge you to think about magic in a different way. Magic happens because there is a magician. You are that magician. With all due respect to Dr. Aquino, there is nothing supernatural about magic.

You have been performing magic all throughout your life. You just weren’t aware of it. Magic is what you do to make your life better.

#34849 - 01/30/10 11:57 PM Re: I yam a synchronous snapshot. - Popeye [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Valor Offline
pledge

Loc: Coast of New England
 Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Quite true: To persons unable to perceive Set, it is least troubling to dismiss him [and the other neteru] as mere figments of imagination. I don't mind that. What are dangerous are those who can't see, but are afraid of those they suspect do.

Very well put!

"Great is the might of Set, Greater still he is through us!"

People are afraid of what they don't know. When we strive to meet or exceed our expectations we continually improve our Refinement, Black Magic and Becoming techniques, we become more than what we seem.

Then there are those who underestimate what they see, those such people who have "Become."

But there are those few wise ones, the awakened few who do see... and learn how to harbor their fear.

Yes, the unknown potential of a fellow Initiate can be extremely scary.

Edited by Valor (01/31/10 12:00 AM)

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.