Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#34460 - 01/24/10 05:37 AM NASA manned Mars mission
Baron dHolbach Offline

This blog post is from December 3 of last year:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2009/12/nasas-latest-manned-mars-missi.html

Whenever I identify with my species I immediately start jonesing for manned rocketry to other celestial bodies to get back in gear. The ultimate glorification of man!

#34474 - 01/24/10 02:28 PM Re: NASA manned Mars mission [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
That would be fantastic to see a Martian expedition accomplished within our lifetimes! Not only would landing and colonizing another planet be a feat for humankind, it's also another step towards ensuring the survival of our species should a catastrophe like an asteroid hit, or a plague of some kind, were to threaten our existence on Earth. I'm very much of the mind of Stephen Hawking, that our species needs to explore space to avoid becoming extinct at some point.

I'm also a huge fan of Kim Stanley Robinson's Martian Trilogy, which deals with the colonization and terraforming of Mars in the not so distant future. It offers a very plausible process by which we could accomplish that goal, and he doesn't shy away from using science and physics in explaining it to the reader.

And if NASA manages to accomplish that goal, then this would apply not only to the Moon, but to Mars as well:

#34481 - 01/24/10 04:30 PM Re: NASA manned Mars mission [Re: Nemesis]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
That would be fantastic to see a Martian expedition accomplished within our lifetimes! Not only would landing and colonizing another planet be a feat for humankind, it's also another step towards ensuring the survival of our species should a catastrophe like an asteroid hit, or a plague of some kind, were to threaten our existence on Earth.

Yes! From what I've read, we're due for a major asteroid strike, statistically speaking. Or we may just blow ourselves up. Keeping all our eggs in one basket just doesn't seem prudent. Not to mention how boring it is! \:\)

Quote:

I'm very much of the mind of Stephen Hawking, that our species needs to explore space to avoid becoming extinct at some point.

Often visionaries like Hawking will be pro-exploration. Unfortunately there are many people who won't see the point unless there's major money to be made, or until the various problems that plague humanity have first been solved, such as poverty and disease. They look at exploration primarily from a financial perspective. To my mind, there are higher values than money, with glory and survival at the top of the list.

Quote:

I'm also a huge fan of Kim Stanley Robinson's Martian Trilogy, which deals with the colonization and terraforming of Mars in the not so distant future. It offers a very plausible process by which we could accomplish that goal, and he doesn't shy away from using science and physics in explaining it to the reader.

I've read those books. They impacted me heavily. I still think about the concept of veriditas. I suspect science will eventually discover a set of natural laws that make the emergence of life far more probable than it seems right now. To me, those natural laws, taken together, are veriditas.

I wonder which will be used first for colonizing worlds, terraforming or genetic engineering? Develop a human who breathes methane, and you greatly mitigate the need to terraform a world that has a methane atmosphere. Develop plants and animals that likewise breathe methane, and you're practically ready to move in. \:\)

Quote:

And if NASA manages to accomplish that goal, then this would apply not only to the Moon, but to Mars as well:

Yes. Finders keepers. You would think that concept alone would spark an interest in going to other worlds. I doubt anyone would agree that a country or corporation could claim an entire planet, but a thousand square miles of it? That may fly.

#34520 - 01/25/10 08:09 AM Re: NASA manned Mars mission [Re: Nemesis]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

While I, in the back of my head, cheer about the idea for a manned mars mission and (if it will be successful) yet another evidence of mankind's superior thinking (in comparison with animals we know of), I also wonder and have some thoughts about it.

I could, like Mawshrinkel, start fantasizing about the future when it comes to exploring our universe (or to start with, our solar system) yet I think of possible impacts and problems we will be facing.

A first one would be the travel. The distance between earth and mars is quite big and it will take a few months before arriving there. A shuttle should be built to be able to carry the persons to that place, together with scientific equipment, food reserves for the whole trip, enough energy (fuel, batteries) for the whole trip. To make it commercially available big technological advancements and engineering research should be done first.

If all of this is made possible then the next step is colonizing the planet. How can mars become a planet like earth which will fulfill our human needs for fresh water, luxury,...? The use of bio-domes might be a sufficient answer, only problem facing is the "where do I get the necessary "ingredients" to make the dome work and keeping it at work"? Water might have been discovered on mars, yet is there enough of it? If this is successful then who will live on mars permanently?

I can also imagine that if all that works out very well that there will be a situation like there was between the US and UK.
I.E, the people on mars might want to be recognized as a solitary "state" independent from earth when it comes to politics and governing. They will profilate themselves as economical and scientific heavyweight ( due to the untouched ores there might be and the research possibilities that can be done).

And so on and so on. I can sum up all problems which involves the idea and all barriers which need to be taken, yet I also like to dream and wonder about a future with space-ships, highly sophisticated materials, interstellar exploration...

#34635 - 01/27/10 02:07 AM Hijack the Starship! [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If you're interested in space, go for it!

Back in the 1970s the Temple of Set was very much involved with what was then called "the High Frontier". During the Carter Administration, when the space shuttle program was still envisioned as a peaceful, fun thing, there were all sorts of ideas for playing with it. The most freewheeling was the eminent Dr. Tim & his "Space Migration" scene. The more serious and sophisticated efforts toward private space colonization coalesced around the L5 Society, also founded in 1975 and of which I was a charter member.

L5's idea was to make the shuttle economically & scientifically viable to the extent of subsidizing its costs as a civilian transportation device. Alternately we were looking at several private-sector alternatives, such as the German OTRAG, and under the Temple's project name of "Atlantis", again with the interest of Paul Kantner, we did quite a bit of forecast-modeling and exploratory communication.

Unfortunately Project Atlantis, and L5, fell victim to the eonomic downturn of the late 1970s [not all that dissimilar to what we're going through now], and NASA survived budget constrictions largely through militarization of the space shuttle program - which of course ended our plans to have fun with it.

In 1990 I became one of the Army's first Space Intelligence Officers (ASI 3Y) and did a 4-year tour at HQ USSPACECOM at Cheyenne Mountain. But that was all Spook stuff. There was occasional commotion from the SGCOM people downstairs, of course, but J2X wasn't a part of that.

However all of you Star Scouts are still young enough to take another shot at it in these next few years, so let's go!

#34642 - 01/27/10 05:22 AM Re: Hijack the Starship! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
If you're interested in space, go for it!

It seems that of all the industries of our current economic world, the one that may successfully amplify itself to titanic proportions and so become towering enough to boldly go - will be tourism.

Outfits like Space Adventures get my vote for the most exciting corporate endeavors yet launched. I salute them and I salute their super-rich clients. They who spend their mega-millions to leave the confines of Earth are among the few who understand the proper use of money; namely, glory.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.