Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#36796 - 03/20/10 07:01 AM TOS, Temple of Set, and etc........ [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Move along, proceed to Set.
Move along, no poetry allowed.
Move along, no emo cutters needed.
Move along, theses are not the droids you want.

Years and years ago, we had more newbies spewing bad poetry all day long. Lots of threats, warning, locked threads, and deletions. When I used to moderate the Satanism forum back in the day, I got in trouble for deleting, stupid posts, and etc... We used to have to delete stuff because there were so many pages of posts.

Like it has been mentioned, some people think they can write poetry, most will never come close to Frost, or Neureda. The board decided a long time ago, no poetry, because of all we have, we didn't need that too. Let's face it, it would become the longest thread/forum/space sucking/ego jerk-off category here that no one would want to read.

Now back to our previous story........

M

#36799 - 03/20/10 01:34 PM The Force gives me power ... [Re: Morgan]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Morgan
Move along, theses are not the droids you want.

Move along, these are not the droids we want.

Quote:
Years and years ago, we had more newbies spewing bad poetry all day long. Lots of threats, warning, locked threads, and deletions. When I used to moderate the Satanism forum back in the day, I got in trouble for deleting, stupid posts, and etc... We used to have to delete stuff because there were so many pages of posts.

Like it has been mentioned, some people think they can write poetry, most will never come close to Frost, or Neureda. The board decided a long time ago, no poetry, because of all we have, we didn't need that too. Let's face it, it would become the longest thread/forum/space sucking/ego jerk-off category here that no one would want to read.

The 600 Club spacport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious ...

#36802 - 03/20/10 03:29 PM Re: The Force gives me power ... [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
exadust Offline
pledge

Loc: georgia
My only question is this.

How can you stray off topic so far going from Set to poetry and then to Star Wars paraphrases?

On the subject of Set I only know what I've read about him in the fanatasy "World of Darkness".

Poetry has it's purposes but not in this forum I believe.

And the Star Wars saga was most entertaining!

#36803 - 03/20/10 04:02 PM Mesa agrees! [Re: exadust]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: exadust
How can you stray off topic so far going from Set to poetry and then to Star Wars paraphrases?

Of poetry speak must you not. Sith, as known he was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, in a cavern of his Planet to be found is. But to The Dark Side go you should not, as your brain fry it would.

#36806 - 03/20/10 06:33 PM Re: The Force gives me power ... [Re: exadust]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City

Everything was connected at a moment in time. If you read this thread from the beginning, you can see the thought progression. Granted, people do take a left turn now and then, but most people here took the road less traveled anyway.

On the subject of Set I only know what I've read about him in the fanatasy "World of Darkness".

Well then, you should read more, especially in regards to the Temple of Set. This will make understanding the stuff mentioned in this thread more understandable. Role play games are different from how people in real life understand/explain/experience stuff. Just like how the module on Ghengish Khan is different from the history of the Mongol's. Some of it may be based on truth, but not most of it.

Yes, poetry has no place here, but you can find it in "The Sith Code", and the revised edition by The Imperial Army.

Morgan

#36809 - 03/20/10 07:05 PM Re: The Force gives me power ... [Re: Morgan]
exadust Offline
pledge

I did indeed read the thread from the beginning.

And as far as The Temple of Set I will look into that so I can better understand their mythology.

#36810 - 03/20/10 07:19 PM Set wants your brain. [Re: exadust]
Meq Offline
Banned

It's called misdirection.

Whenever someone makes a serious rational critique of Setian dogma which cries out for an answer, St. Michael's strategy is to disarm his opponent by making a joke of it. The use of jokes also disguises any serious intent at misdirection on his part. Not a bad LBM strategy if I may say so myself.
The only problem is that I can see right through it.

The reader sufficiently distracted with enough red herrings, and the fact that many serious points made have been rhetorically dodged is no longer apparent.

This immediately shifts the focus away from a dangerous rational critique of Setianism to something a lot safer. Wisecracks, deep-sounding quotes and self-quotes, pop-cultural references (George Lucas provides a veritable goldmine), and perhaps a bit of verse, form a powerful substitute for 'dry' rational debate, and of course to many is far more interesting and appealing. The aim of such a strategy is to "sell" an idea, not act as an unbiased seeker after truth - although it helps to give the illusion of the latter.

The reader finds themselves wanting to agree - only for all the wrong reasons. From the ancient Greek Sophists to today's lawyers, politicians, 'philosophers' and religious apologists (of all forms), the same techniques were and continue to be used with great success. (Except on those sufficiently familiar with critical thinking and LBM/persuasion tactics.)

#36811 - 03/20/10 07:32 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: Meq]
exadust Offline
pledge

Yes I know what he was trying to acheive.

But the problem with his method is that Atheist Satanists aren't going to buy into The Temple of Set.

Theist Satanists might sell out to the idea but most Satanists can't convert because we have nothing to convert from.

#36813 - 03/20/10 08:00 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: exadust]
Meq Offline
Banned

But the problem with his method is that Atheist Satanists aren't going to buy into The Temple of Set.

I'm not sure if you've ever been solicited by local businesses though the mail, but many businesses like to drop off glossly leaflets advertising their services. The catch - only around 1/1000 of these leaflets are going to lead to a successful sale. Yet this method is still popular, leaflets are cheap enough, and even with the low success rate it still pays off. Send a million leaflets, get a thousand or so customers.

Now, Aquino is not going to convert many, if any, serious atheistic Satanists here. That doesn't mean his influences aren't felt in more subtle ways. Before Aquino, flaming anyone with a blinkered faith in theistic or supernatural beliefs was par for the course here.

600 now has a well-respected VIP in its midst, in a blue suit, espousing a strong religious faith in both theistic and supernatural ideas. This radically changed the dynamics here. Faith, supernaturalism and theism are now, by association, accorded far more respect than they previously were. It is no longer couth to call someone a fuckwit for nothing other than belief in a supernatural deity. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is anyone's guess.

The fact is, however, that while Aquino hasn't converted any 'Satatheists' here, he has made theism and supernaturalism more respectable, for better or worse. If it was his intent to shift attitudes towards theism here, in that respect he has had some success.

#36814 - 03/20/10 09:18 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: Meq]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Like Meq I was a little confused by the likening of Set to a Platonic Form. So, like Meq, I am going to pose the same question: So is Set an actual anthropomorphic being which has similar emotions to humans (such as dismay and surprise), or an impersonal Platonic Form?

Hopefully this time we can get an actual answer.

#36816 - 03/20/10 09:54 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
exadust Offline
pledge

Since I've just left the Temple of Set website and read the little General Information Letter I have a question for any Setian who would like to answer.

In the clarifiaction section of said letter it states that some "Satanists views are just a synthesis of simple-minded Xitian propaganda and Hollywood movies.

My question is:

Are you sure your view isn't simple-minded?

I'm in no way anti- Xitian. They can be ignorant if they so choose to be. They have their own rights to believe what they choose.

I'm also not anti-Setian.

But don't tell me that most Satanists are simple-minded when the Temple of Set is just a offshoot of the CoS. Those who chose to defect from the CoS should've expected the catering that happened. After all the CoS was founded by a man.

As I've stated before and I can't speak for all Satanists but Satanism for me is a way of life and not organized religion. So I would not join any organization for the simple reason I represent myself and no one else.

No disrespect intended towards any Setian on this forum but you need to examine what you say based on your "Temples" roots.

#36817 - 03/20/10 10:01 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
Hopefully this time we can get an actual answer.

You sound awfully optimistic today, 6 ;\)

P.S. IMO an anthropomorphic deity is as simple-minded as ideas come.

#36824 - 03/20/10 11:26 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: Meq]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Obviously Dr. Aquino is in the minority here. I donít think he minds it; heís been in the minority most of his life. But as far as his organization goes, I think he has a point: Those members who do not wish to join the Priesthood are not expected or required to believe in Set. In fact, Iíd hazard to guess that a great many I*ís and II*ís donít believe in Set.

I never felt pressured to believe in Set when I was in the Temple. In fact, I distinctly recall being told by more than one Priest to focus less on the idea of Set and more on myself. After giving the matter a great deal of thought, I came to the conclusion that I no more believed in Set than in God or any other deity.

But I do believe in what I think is a much bigger idea the Temple espouses - the idea that I am the captain of my ship, and that I have the power within myself to make my life better. Itís not an idea unique to the Temple, of course. But it was an idea I had never really taken to heart. The Temple was good LHP Basic Training for me, and for that I am very grateful. I left the Temple after about a year, but it was not for philosophical reasons. Ultimately, I just wanted to take what I learned and move forward alone.

There is one thing that bugs me a little, though. I remember reading in a Temple publication, written I believe by Aquino, something to the effect that those who leave the Temple will gradually slip back into old mundane thoughts and habits. I have made a conscious effort to retain what I learned in the Temple and build on it. Since leaving the Temple I have increased my earnings by nearly 50%, purchased a home and, more recently, come to terms with my destructive relationship with alcohol.

In the end, itís not about the Temple. Itís all about me, and thatís all I really need to know.

#36825 - 03/20/10 11:36 PM Re: Set wants your brain. [Re: Meq]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Meq

It's called misdirection.

Not at all. I think that throughout my 600C visit I have responded quite directly and in detail to serious, courteous questions. But I see no need to answer the same ones over and over again either. If my responses were a little difficult for you to understand, or perhaps just inconvenient to your preconceptions, please accept my apologies. And there is certainly nothing wrong with your remaining a happy and contented Atheist.

Quote:
Whenever someone makes a serious rational critique of Setian dogma which cries out for an answer, St. Michael's strategy is to disarm his opponent by making a joke of it. The use of jokes also disguises any serious intent at misdirection on his part.

No, I think the record will show that I have responded with a whoopie-cushion only when it is quite obvious that a heckler is begging for it.

Quote:
The reader sufficiently distracted with enough red herrings, and the fact that many serious points made have been rhetorically dodged is no longer apparent. This immediately shifts the focus away from a dangerous rational critique of Setianism to something a lot safer. Wisecracks, deep-sounding quotes and self-quotes, pop cultural references (George Lucas provides a veritable goldmine), and perhaps a bit of verse, form a powerful substitute for 'dry' rational debate, and of course to many is far more interesting and appealing.

Gee whiz, Meq, you take all the fun out of it. Tell you what: If you feel driven to discuss whatever your notion of Setian philosophy is purely drily and rationally, just go ahead and start a thread. I promise to stay out of it, and not to respond to anything imported from it. So you won't have anything to worry about.

Quote:
The aim of such a strategy is to "sell" an idea, not act as an unbiased seeker after truth - although it helps to give the illusion of the latter.

Have I sold anything to anybody here? Of course not. I am only a magician, standing here in evening dress, with my sleeves rolled up. You are a prince, and you must do what you think best, of course.

Quote:
The reader finds themselves wanting to agree - only for all the wrong reasons. From the ancient Greek Sophists to today's lawyers, politicians, 'philosophers' and religious apologists (of all forms), the same techniques were and continue to be used with great success. (Except on those sufficiently familiar with critical thinking and LBM/persuasion tactics.)

You are certainly to be commended for having seen through all of those dastardly schemers, past and present. The 600C is indeed blessed to have so perceptive and vigilant a shepherd to protect it.

#36826 - 03/21/10 12:41 AM Temple of Set Affiliation [Re: William Wright]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: William Wright
I remember reading in a Temple publication, written I believe by Aquino, something to the effect that those who leave the Temple will gradually slip back into old mundane thoughts and habits.

I don't recall writing or saying anything like that. Indeed the notion of the Temple of Set as an organization to which one needs to be "attached" to pursue authentic personal initiation has always been antithetical to us. We have rather described it as a "toolbox" which each Setian can use as he or she finds helpful. Of course it also functions as a communications medium among Setians worldwide, and maintains certain ethical and courtesy standards for formal affiliates. But many Initiates over the decades have regarded it as a springboard or launching-pad for their individual quests, and that is fine with us.

The Gift of Set - isolate self consciousness - is not something which the Temple of Set controls, authenticates, or validates. Each sentient being possesses it inherently. All that we do is to encourage those who are ready to awaken themselves to it - a process rather comparable to Ouspensky's The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution lectures that I have discussed here previously.

And that is why the Setian initiatory degrees are never spoken of as "bestowed" or "conferred", but always as "Recognized". Initiation of this high order is utterly, inescapably a personal adventure. So we watch it, Recognize certain key aspects of it as extend coherently to other Initiates, and - from the collective experience of all Setians over the last 35 years - offer some helpful observations, suggestions, warnings, and encouragement. The journey is daunting enough without any more brick walls & blind alleys than absolutely necessary.

Quote:
I have made a conscious effort to retain what I learned in the Temple and build on it. Since leaving the Temple I have increased my earnings by nearly 50%, purchased a home and, more recently, come to terms with my destructive relationship with alcohol. In the end, itís not about the Temple. Itís all about me, and thatís all I really need to know.

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.049 seconds of which 0.022 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.