Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3476 - 01/14/08 11:20 PM Further proof that stupidity should be painful
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
This is a little gem of an email I received. Proof that stupidity is rewarded and encouraged.

It's time again for the annual "Stella Awards!" For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico where she purchased the coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right?

That's right, these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy. Here are the Stella's for the past year:

To kick things off the right way, there was a three-way tie for 5th place.

7TH PLACE :

Kathleen Robertson of Austin , Texas , was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

6TH PLACE :

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles , California - you knew California had to be in the list somewhere, right? - who won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.
Go ahead, grab your head scratcher.

5TH PLACE :

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol , Pennsylvania , who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut.
Forced to subsist for eight - count 'em, EIGHT! - days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish.
Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.
Keep scratching. There are more...

4TH PLACE:

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.
Grrrrr ... Scratch, scratch.

3RD PLACE:

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone (coccyx). The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?
Scratch, scratch, scratch. Hang in there; there are only two more Stellas to go...

2ND PLACE :

Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware , sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses.
Go figure.

1ST PLACE:

(May I have a fanfare played on 50 kazoos please)

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home - from an OU football game, no less - having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her - you are sitting down, right? - $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home.
Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just incase Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

#3477 - 01/14/08 11:34 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: fakepropht]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
fuck that is weak! these people need to be killed not awarded money for their stupidity.sad world.

#3484 - 01/15/08 07:24 AM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: rob_church]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Wow, it's like deja vu....remember the lawsuit against McDonald's when a lady ordered a hot coffee in the drive thru, burnt herself when it spilled on her hands and lap, and blamed McD's for the cup not saying "Hot Beverage" on it? She was awarded millions! Makes me jealous--why didn't I think of that?

#3485 - 01/15/08 07:34 AM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: rob_church]
Equilibrio Offline
pledge

Loc: Missouri
No, Rob...It's the attorneys and juries in these cases that need to be erased from existence. The plaintiffs are almost guaranteed to have shortened lifespans anyway.
#3491 - 01/15/08 02:13 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: Equilibrio]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
No, Rob...It's the attorneys and juries in these cases that need to be erased from existence. The plaintiffs are almost guaranteed to have shortened lifespans anyway

I tend to disagree, that the lawyers need to be earased from existance. I mean what better way to make a living, then getting easy money from peoples stupidity.

Now the jury on the other hand. Yeah, they don't need to be on this planet.

#3495 - 01/15/08 03:50 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: Asmedious]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I agree that all these acts of stupidity shouldn't have made these people money, and I hate to nit pick, but, isn't this list a bit old?

I'm pretty sure I received that email some four or five years ago? I wonder if their really is a current one or just this same email that has been blindly forwarded for years and year?

Actually, I wanted to be sure on this before I posted and have just spend five minutes at Snopes.com a great urban legend website finding out that this false email was first generated in 2001 and has been blindly forwarded ever since.

Now I know full well that you are by no means stupid FP, but please lets not call the pot black until we have recsearched the facts.

Here is the snopes link.

ZephyrGirl

#3499 - 01/15/08 04:30 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Although the original email might not be valid, a coworker just told me two days ago, that a friend of his was sued by a "burglar" who fell through a skylight, and was hurt when he landed on a coffee table, breaking it.

I'm not sure what the outcome of the lawsuit was however.

Edited by Asmedious (01/15/08 04:31 PM)

#3506 - 01/15/08 05:43 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: Asmedious]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I have no doubt that there are plenty of real, stupid lawsuits. The reason this email is still circulating is it's effect of preaching to the choir. None of us want to see stupidity profit, however on a site that prides itself on fact, one has to call it as one sees it.

Also, I have a thing against emails just being circulated to create the equivalent to junk mail. I don't like it in the real world and I don't like it online. We all want to appear clever and witty to our friends and we tend to believe what we read, even if there is no REAL basis for it. Forwarding or copying emails blindly as fact does neither of these things.

Now, FP may have wanted to point that out, I have taken the bait and look like a right twat for swallowing it-for all I know. I certainly wasn't calling him stupid, but lets at least get the facts correct before we call the sheeple stupid. Baaaaaah!!!

There is room here now though, to talk about REAL lawsuits and to see if they do often end in ridiculous monetary awards.

I'd be really pissed if they did, as due to some new legislation in South Australia, I can't sue a certain doctor for fucking up my diagnosis of metestatic breast cancer at 9 weeks pregnant, when I would have had the choice of terminating the pregnancy. Instead, I wasn't diagnosed until 30 weeks pregnant, meaning that I have had to bring a child into the world, knowing that it's mother is going to die, most likely in it's first 10 years of life. Actually the original odds were it's first two, but I've been doing rather well in my treaetments and have almost made it past that first two year mark.

I am unable to sue the doctor for the cost of raising the child because of the new laws and although I could sue for pain and suffering, it has to be judged against a certain standard, which would most likely get me less money than it would cost to do so.

All this because some CEO fucked up the liquidity of a huge insurance agency and the government decided to make it almost impossible to sue a doctor for negligence.

Now whilst I realise this is South Australia, I would never have known about these laws unless I had started to research the court action, so maybe, just maybe, people aren't getting paid out for stupid (or even valid) suits somewhere near you and you don't know it because it doesn't directly affect you?

Whilst unlikely, it's possible. Do we have any lawyers on this site?

Zeph

#3508 - 01/15/08 10:24 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: ZephyrGirl]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
All apologies. I should have verified the validity of this email before posting it. Thank you for pointing out the error of my posting. Unfortunately, I reacted like a typical politician. Hey, when I initially read it, I was dumbfounded. And believing that anything is possible in the legal world, I ran with it as fact. We all remember the Juice right? Besides, I am known as a fake prophet. So WTF did you expect?

#3525 - 01/16/08 04:04 AM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: fakepropht]
Bridgett Leavitt Offline
stranger

Loc: somewhere on this giant dirt b...
Even outside of pety lawsuits....Stupidity DOES hurt...exspecially when one has to swallow their "stupid pride" and admit to ones self and all observing peers..that they were acting a fool....just plain STUPID!!!! Oh well, ya live and ya learn.Don't dwell on mistakes, head them and learn from them. Is that not a part of the human expirience?
#4007 - 02/09/08 05:10 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: Bridgett Leavitt]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
Thats why if you catch someone breaking into your home or on your property, you don't let them leave it without being in a body bag...

I blame all these ridiculous law suits on the judge and lawyers, look at how many ambulance chasing lawyers were around in the 80-90's taking on any case they could get there hands on.

The woman who burnt herself with a hot cup of coffee between her legs should have got one hell of a slap across the face for being so friggin stupid in the first place. And the second should have been the lawyer he took on the case, the third should have been the judge for allowing this case to go to trial. and well the jury should have just been wiped out all together.

Why is it that a jury exists anyway, I mean shouldn't that job belong to the judge. Why should a judge get paid so much money to hand down the case when the jury who decides if someone is innocent or guilty get paid nothing at all...

These ridiculous lawsuits are the reason every man and woman's insurance premiums are through the roof, because they know lawyers will take any kind of case regardless how outrages it becomes and it will cost the insurance companies money.

And I remember the case that went on here in Claymont,DE that was a big fuss among business owners for a long time. Hell the woman admit she was trying to sneak in the bathroom window to not have to pay the cover charge and she wasn't charged with anything for doing so, but she gets awarded money for breaking her teeth for in a way trying to break in an establishment to avoided paying a fee.

Quite a few started putting ushers inside the bathrooms to make sure that didn't happen to them because they didn't want to get sued for the same thing.

Like the guy who broke into the house and lived for 8 days was he ever arrested for breaking and entering, or did a lawyer get him awarded a hero and a key to the city.

This country has gone to hell in a handbag

#4014 - 02/09/08 06:25 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: Noc]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I'm going to be the spoil sport now and tell people these are the Stella Awards for 2006 because I heard them on a radio show 2 years ago... sorry guys.

#59499 - 09/25/11 05:30 PM Re: Further proof that stupidity should be painful [Re: TornadoCreator]
Red Dragon76 Offline
stranger

Loc: Wisconsin
If stupidity is rewarded, it encourages even more incompetence. If stupidity is painful, it still will have no effect on the truly moronic, and will also encourage all the masochists. This is why imbecility will always be around to annoy me.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.