Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#34965 - 02/01/10 09:31 PM Wiccans Get Worship Area at Air Force Academy
Jake999 Offline

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. - The Air Force Academy has set aside an outdoor worship area for Pagans, Wiccans, Druids and other Earth-centered believers, school officials said Monday.

A double circle of stones atop a hill on the campus near Colorado Springs has been designated for the group, which previously met indoors.

"Being with nature and connecting with it is kind of the whole point," said Tech. Sgt. Brandon Longcrier, who sponsors the group and describes himself as a Pagan. "It will dramatically improve that atmosphere, the mindset and the actual connection."

The stones were moved to the hilltop last year because erosion threatened to make them unstable in their previous location near the visitors center. Crews arranged them in two concentric circles because they thought it would be a pleasant place for cadets to relax, Longcrier said.

When Longcrier and academy chaplains were looking for an outdoor worship space, they discovered one already existed in the form of the circles.

Lt. Col. William Ziegler, one of the academy's chaplains, said designating the space is part of the school's effort to foster religious tolerance and to defend the constitutional guarantee of religious freedom.

'A freedom thing'
"It's about our commitment as airmen to protect freedom and defend freedom. To me this is a freedom thing," he said.

The school also has worship facilities for Protestant and Catholic Christians, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists.

The academy superintendent, Lt. Gen. Michael Gould, has made religious tolerance a priority. It became a concern in 2004 when a survey found many cadets had heard slurs or jokes about other religions and that some felt ostracized because they weren't religious.

Longcrier and Ziegler said they've heard no criticism of the new worship space but both noted its presence was just made public.

"Not to say that it's not coming, but so far we haven't had any real issues," Longcrier said.

He said 15 to 20 cadets have shown an interest in Earth-centered beliefs, and eight to 10 regularly attend Monday night meetings. Of those, six or seven are devout believers and the others are "searchers," Longcrier said.

The academy has about 4,000 cadets. The school is one of five U.S. service academies, including West Point and Annapolis. Cadets graduate as second lieutenants.

Gods and goddesses
"Earth-centered" spirituality encompasses many beliefs, Longcrier said, many that recognize multiple gods and goddesses and observe holidays tied to the seasons.

Longcrier said he personally doesn't consider gods and goddesses to be actual beings but personifications of natural events that human ancestors wanted to put a face on.

"The goddess is symbolic of the Earth," Longcrier said. "Do I believe I'm worshipping this female entity living in the Earth or up in space somewhere? No. The symbolism is very important."

The group's meetings are usually devoted to mediation, lessons or ceremonies, he said.

Longcrier, who oversees laboratories in the academy's astronautics labs, said he has military designation as a "distinct faith group leader."

Anyone is welcome to visit the new worship site but it should be treated as a religious structure, he said. A formal dedication is planned in March.

#34971 - 02/01/10 10:02 PM Air Force spreading their 'Wings of Tolerance.' [Re: Jake999]
JWG Offline
pledge

Thanks for sharing this, Jake.

I'm curious as to how others feel about this news. For me personally, this news is a positive thing. Not in that it is a "victory" for Wiccans per say, but in the more broad and general victory for the service men and women who choose to step outside of Christianity [and other popular practices, or lack of]. These provisions are just one sign of [hopefully more to come] religious tolerance outside of the main-stream religions. I am in favor of my religious freedom [including not choosing to believe in such ways] and it's manifestations showing to expand (hopefully continually) in not only the military but in society in general. Either way, I'm quite certain that we all will continue to do our own thing, but it wouldn't be a negative thing for this kind of religious freedom to continue to grow, that's for certain!

I'll end this with a quote that particularly stood out to me, I'll assume [ass-u-me ;\) ] to others as well?
 Quote:
Longcrier said he personally doesn't consider gods and goddesses to be actual beings but personifications of natural events that human ancestors wanted to put a face on.

"The goddess is symbolic of the Earth," Longcrier said. "Do I believe I'm worshipping this female entity living in the Earth or up in space somewhere? No. The symbolism is very important."

#34989 - 02/02/10 01:07 AM Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
There's a long history of the U.S. military's involvement with non-mainstream religions, some of it commendable & Constitutional, some of it quite the other thing. I had extensive first-hand experience with the whole range throughout my Army career, which I won't go into here; it would take another book and read like the script of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

What's more important here, today, right now is what you are going to run into if you get involved with the military.

Start by going here. This should download as a .pdf file Department of Defense Instruction 1300.17, February 10, 2009, which is the overall governing policy within DoD concerning "Accommodation of Religious Practices Within the Military Services". This is the edict which all commanders and chaplains are expected to obey.

Despite its lip service to tolerance, note in particular this from the basic document:

Originally Posted By: DoD Instruction 1300.17
4. POLICY. The U.S. Constitution proscribes Congress from enacting any law prohibiting the free exercise of religion. The Department of Defense places a high value on the rights of members of the Military Services to observe the tenets of their respective religions. It is DoD policy that requests for accommodation of religious practices should be approved by commanders when accommodation will not have an adverse impact on mission accomplishment, military readiness, unit cohesion, standards, or discipline.

... and this elaboration from the appended Procedures:

Originally Posted By: DoDI 1300.17 Procedures
3. When requests for accommodation are not in the best interest of the unit, and continued tension between the unitís requirements and the individualís religious beliefs is apparent, administrative actions should be considered. Those actions may include, but are not limited to, assignment, reassignment, reclassification, or separation. Nothing in this Instruction precludes action under chapter 47 of title 10, United States Code (Reference (c)), in the appropriate circumstances.

What this means in plain English is that your religion will be tolerated as long as the commander thinks it isn't disturbing the mission effectiveness of his unit, which is his completely subjective and discretionary decision. If he decides your religion is such a problem, he can pretty much do what he wants with you, up to and including separation [from the armed forces].

So if you are contemplating a U.S. military career today, be warned.

As per the story Jake cites above, the USAF Academy is playing around with Wicca. This isn't going to make a bit of difference in that atmosphere, but in an active USAF combat unit Wiccans & Neopagans are going to find that their eccentric freewheeling is just as lockstep as the established chaplains' uniformed flocks. Or sayonora.

If you do some research into the DoD Corps of Chaplains, you'll discover very quickly that its prime directive is support of the commander and the unit's mission. Ministering to an individual's religious principles & needs is subordinate to that. Bluntly put, it is the chaplain's job to keep individual religious beliefs from interfering with the mission. This pretty well sums it up.

DoD has three institutional religious chaplaincies: Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish. Such chaplains are commissioned and paid as officers, and have post facilities paid for by the U.S. taxpayer. Arguably this is in violation of the U.S. Constitution's prohibition of an establishment of religion, but there it is, and the courts won't touch it.

It's a rigorously-controlled closed shop. Go here, select Directive 1304.28, and read for yourself. You don't get in unless from an approved source, and once in you toe the line.

In theory, the P/C/J chaplains are supposed also to provide for the religious needs of non-P/C/J. No further comment is needed here, particularly for Satanists.

As a matter of historical interest, things were not always this draconian. I and others, most distinctively Dr. J. Gordon Melton, Director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion at my alma mater UCSB, got through a breakthrough document on alternative religious toleration, DA Pamphlet 165-13: Religious Requirements and Practices of Certain Selected Groups - A Handbook for Chaplains, 1978, revised 1992. This was an extremely powerful and protective DoD policy statement, and if you are curious, you can go here, click on "chaplain.zip" at the beginning of the text, and get the whole thing. Unfortunately, in the Bush era and mostly because of the Islamic extremism atmosphere, it was discontinued in favor of DoD Instruction 1300.17. Well, "for one brief shining moment" ...

#34993 - 02/02/10 03:52 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Valor Offline
pledge

Loc: Coast of New England
Dr. Aquino, during Vietnam, what kind of difficulties did you come across with your commanding officers, if any?

I know while in Veitnam you were in dialog with Anton and often produced chapters for "The Black Flame",(sometimes with powder burns and bullet holes through the pages) mailed back and forth.

Did you attempt to perform Workings while you were on tour? If so, how was it taken by others, officers ect...ect..?

Edited by Valor (02/02/10 04:14 AM)

#34996 - 02/02/10 04:45 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
It is DoD policy that requests for accommodation of religious practices should be approved by commanders when accommodation will not have an adverse impact on mission accomplishment, military readiness, unit cohesion, standards, or discipline.

"That's the truth, Ruth, in a telephone booth!"

Being openly Satanist back in the 70's and 80's was no easy thing in the military, and while I was lucky enough to have a commander who backed me, both he and I knew that that backing was conditional on me not making waves that would bring problems or disruptions to the unit. And if I hadn't been damned good at my job and made damned sure I was professional in everything that I said and did, I have no doubt that things could have come down on me like a ton of bricks.

And even then, it STILL took the military around 15 years to allow me to simply have Church of Satan on my dog tags, (there's a picture of my dog tag in the Gallery,) and that was a matter of being that "squeaky wheel" while still maintaining my military bearing.

Also, you have to be logical and know that just letting you be acknowledged as a Wiccan, Satanist or other irregular will not automatically grant you any rights or privileges within the military structure. Your uniform will be just as free of any religious symbol as it was the day before they allow it, and you won't be allowed to take off on Walpurgisnacht instead of Christmas. They won't take you into consideration when they have the Chaplain's benedictions for various ceremonies, and you will still attend them. Things will still operate in favor of the unit, rather than the one.

So, in retrospect, the tolerance with which I was treated was like the disclaimer in the weight loss commercials on TV. "Results are not typical. Your experience may vary."

#35004 - 02/02/10 11:02 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: Jake999]
JWG Offline
pledge

Well, I'd just like to thank both of you (Dr. Aquino and Jake) sincerely for taking the time to present that information and experience as veterans in the military on this topic. I'm set to leave for boot camp in South Carolina for the USMC in early June. Although I didn't plan on a welcomed, open armed, understanding nature of my views and practices, it was still nice to see some non-main stream [Wiccan in this example] get some implementation. As Jake mentioned, it doesn't mean they will be given any special treatment even if they do acknowledge your title of practice. Just as society [the military being much more conservative in my experience] does not fully accept or understand them, one can't expect the military to be the ray of a religious-tolerance-sunshine. That's perfectly fine with me. I personally don't need to have others acknowledge any title or understand how I view things. For me, it'd only going to bring extra trouble and stress and bring un-needed tension to the *job* at hand. After all, the military isn't a platform for individual freedom or in the business of personal cares, it is the uniformed, cohesive effort to accomplish tasks, missions, and objectives in which it is assigned. I'd like to end with acknowledging Dr. Aquino and Jake [as well as any other servicemen/women] for their service as a sort of tip 'o the hat to you. I know some don't like to be thanked, but just suck it up and take it anyway, he he.

#35005 - 02/02/10 11:17 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: JWG]
Jake999 Offline

Just remember... you'll be a member of the M.A.R.I.N.E.S! And as we all know, that stands for "My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment, Sir!

Good luck! It can be the best time of your life. Or a real pain in the ass. Pretty much like any other job. You get out of it what you're willing to put in.

#35046 - 02/02/10 09:23 PM Semper Fi on High! [Re: JWG]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: JWG
I'm set to leave for boot camp in South Carolina for the USMC in early June.

Speaking as one of the Army's first Space Officers, I think you should set your sights on becoming a Space Marine.

#35047 - 02/02/10 09:59 PM Goooooood morning Vietnam! [Re: Valor]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Valor
Dr. Aquino, during Vietnam, what kind of difficulties did you come across with your commanding officers, if any?

None. The subject never came up, as we were rather busy with other stuff, as I daresay was also the case with Jake. When the Army's new jungle fatigues were introduced, our main complaint concerned the large size of the front buttons; they kept you too high off the ground during a firefight.

Quote:
I know while in Vietnam you were in dialog with Anton and often produced chapters for "The Black Flame", (sometimes with powder burns and bullet holes through the pages) mailed back and forth.

I think you're referring to the Diabolicon (one of the appendices to my Church of Satan, in which the Black Flame was introduced). When completed, it made just one trip (from Lai Khe to 6114). No bullet holes in the pages, but part of the Statement of Beelzebub was indeed blown to bits by an incoming NVA rocket one night. Guess B didn't like the first draft.

Quote:
Did you attempt to perform Workings while you were on tour? If so, how was it taken by others, officers, etc.?

No GBM workings beyond what one could call "momentary meditations". As for LBM, I suppose you could call the whole war a sort of LBM laboratory. For example, our development and use of "Wandering Soul".

#35048 - 02/02/10 10:13 PM Re: Goooooood morning Vietnam! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Yep. Most of the time I was more concerned with "where the fuck are the hookers?" This isn't because I was thinking about getting laid. I was pretty much a monk for my two tours in Vietnam. But hookers were a good barometer of what was happening. They were Vietnamese girls with connections, and those connections were usually on the other side. If there were hookers "on the hill," we weren't going to be hit. If they were absent, they had gotten the word, and you slept with your helmet and flack jacket next to you and quick access to weapons.

We were pretty much too busy in Vietnam to pay much attention to anything other than our jobs. Sure, there was downtime, but that was reserved for poker or well-deserved SLEEP.

#35051 - 02/03/10 02:21 AM Re: Goooooood morning Vietnam! [Re: Jake999]
Valor Offline
pledge

Loc: Coast of New England
LMAO,Wow... the "wondering soul" audio must have bounced a number of VC home. I can't imagine how the psyche, while hearing this (especially during the stresses of War Time), must have influenced rational decision making, and problem solving skills... not to mention influencing mass Courage.

I'm curious to know if there are Veitnamese men living today that have passed stories down stating that what they heard was in fact real? There has to be a few that believe it still.

Now, how do you think this has effected their lives over the past 40 years? I'm sure it crystalized Post Tramatic Stress.

I don't want to laugh..but it's rather funny to put myself in their shoes when the War ended only then to find out it was all false audio.

P.S. Thank you Jake and Dr. Aquino for everything there and still coming home. *takes off my hat*

Edited by Valor (02/03/10 02:24 AM)

#35053 - 02/03/10 03:04 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: JWG]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
 Originally Posted By: JWG
I'm set to leave for boot camp in South Carolina for the USMC in early June. Although I didn't plan on a welcomed, open armed, understanding nature of my views and practices, it was still nice to see some non-main stream [Wiccan in this example] get some implementation.

Good luck and Thank you for serving in the Armed Forces. A lot of people talk a good game, but never manage to get the balls to enlist and are often scared away at M.E.P.S..

I am sure you have heard of "Don't ask, Don't tell"... It is NOT only for gay/lesbians in the Military. I have found that during my service it was always best to simply not talk about your beliefs regardless of who brought it up.

I had a bad experience where my roommate (2 bunk dorms) in A.I.T. had tried to have me kicked out after he drew some shadey shit under his bunk and claimed I was chanting at nights. It got the Platoon Sergeant riled up but thats about all it did.

Once again, good luck in there!

#35057 - 02/03/10 06:55 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
No GBM workings beyond what one could call "momentary meditations". As for LBM, I suppose you could call the whole war a sort of LBM laboratory. For example, our development and use of "Wandering Soul".

THANKS for posting this. Of course, I've heard of it... the concept was legendary in Vietnam, because of the deep level of superstition ingrained in the culture, but I had never heard IT. Beats the hell out of pointing a piece at a guy's head and yelling "I cocadau, du mami!" (Probably spelled terribly, almost 40 years after I was in Vietnam, but the translation is something like "I'll blow your head off, cock sucker."

I can butcher several languages with ease.

#35058 - 02/03/10 07:11 AM Re: Religious Tolerance in the Armed Forces [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Jake999 Offline

[quote=Wicked Satanist
I had a bad experience where my roommate (2 bunk dorms) in A.I.T. had tried to have me kicked out after he drew some shadey shit under his bunk and claimed I was chanting at nights. It got the Platoon Sergeant riled up but thats about all it did.
[/quote]

Yeah. I hear you. In 20 years in the military, I was accused of casting a spell to make the famales all want me sexually (if they did, they didn't tell me about it), killing cats for rituals, taking drugs (my feelings were so well known that even the OSI laughed that one off), hissing at people like a cat, using my office to distribute Satanic materials, spitting after I said "So help me God" after my reenlistment oaths (the truth is I never said "So help me God" during ANY of my reenlistment oaths, and simply stated, "I so affirm.")

The fact is that if you are openly ANYTHING, somebody is liable to fuck with you about it. That's where having a reputation for professionalism will go a long, long way.

#35090 - 02/03/10 11:45 PM "There will be a magic show ..." [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
In 20 years in the military, I was accused of casting a spell to make the famales all want me sexually (if they did, they didn't tell me about it), killing cats for rituals, taking drugs (my feelings were so well known that even the OSI laughed that one off), hissing at people like a cat, using my office to distribute Satanic materials, spitting after I said "So help me God" after my reenlistment oaths (the truth is I never said "So help me God" during ANY of my reenlistment oaths, and simply stated, "I so affirm.")

Well, would it have been better if you had been a member of a religious cult that practices both cannibalism (eating the body of its incarnated god), vampirism (drinking his blood), and worldwide polygamy (marrying every nun to him); which is directly historically responsible for torturing and slaughtering millions of both its own and other religions' adherents over the centuries; which considers all of its believers [but especially women] criminals from birth; which condemns sex by its male professionals [except with altar boys]; which amasses vast wealth while millions of its own adherents die of poverty and starvation ... just wondering.

I both routinely swore to oaths "so help me Satan" and later "shm Set", and administered them on occasion too. Once when I was president of a general court martial board, I don't know which caused the greater freakout: my taking that oath or finding the accused SFC (who had been set up by his company & battalion commanders) innocent on all counts. Amazing the persuasion that GCM presidents have over their boards. The SFC [and his wife & kids] almost passed out.

As for those who were upset over the Black Mass, I offered the Catholic Manual of Exorcism as its mirror-image. You badmouth my god, I badmouth yours.

Some didn't think that the Satanic Bible was a good moral influence. O.K.. how about the J/C Bible:

CULINARY DEPARTMENT

"Hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung and drink their own piss with you?" Isaiah 36:12

The Lord commanded: "And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight." Ezekiel 4:12

"And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." Lev. 26:29

"And thous shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and thy daughters which the Lord thy God hath given thee." Deut. 28:53

"And we boiled my son, and did eat him; and she hath hid her son." II Kings 6:29

JUSTICE

"When men stive together, one with another, and the wife of one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets, then thou shalt cut off her hand, thou shalt not pity her." Deut. 25:11-12

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the Congregation of the Lord." Deut. 23:1

"... The hand of the Lord was against the city, both small and great, and they had emerods (piles) in their secret parts." I Samuel 5:9 [The Lord was appeased, however, after the men had made golden images of their piles. I Samuel 6:4]

HYGIENE

The Lord promised: "Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jereboam and will cut off from Jereboam him that pisseth against the wall." I Kings 14:10

SLAPSTICK COMEDY

The Lord threatened his children: "Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces." Malachi 2:3

SPORT

"Happy shall be he, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." Psalms 137:9

"And he (David) put them under saws and under harrows of iron, and under axes of iron, and made them pass through the brick-kiln." II Samuel 12:13

"And he (David) brought out the people that were in it and cut them with saws, and with harrows of iron, and with axes. Even so dealt David with all the cities of the children of Ammon." I Chronicles 20:3

GRAND OPERA

"Wherefore my bowels shall sound like a harp for Moab, and mine inward parts for Kirkaresh." Isaiah 16:11

SELF-IMPROVEMENT

"[Become] eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake." Matthew 19:12

"Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee: cut them off, and cast them from thee." Matthew 18:8

BURLESQUE

God said to Moses: "And I will take away mine hand and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen." Exodus 33:23

LOVE AND MARRIAGE

"Yet she multiplies her whoredoms. in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt. For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as of the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses." Ezekiel 23:19-20

"So the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them: and that they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning [whereupon she dies]." Judges 19:25

King Saul asked 100 foreskins in return for his daughter in marriage. David obligingly pared off 200 from the Philistines to win his bride. I Samuel 18:25

"And Judah said unto Onan, go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed unto thy brother. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother." Genesis 38:8-9

BEDTIME STORIES

The men of Sodom wanted to bugger two angels abiding with Lot. Lot said, "Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man: let me, I pray you, bring them unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes." Genesis 19:8

But the Sodomites preferred male angels. Lot and his daughters fled to a cave, at which time the elder daughter said, "Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father." Genesis 19:32 "Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father." Genesis 19:36

Moses told his soldiers, "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31: 17-18

FULFILLED PROMISES

Christ said, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

Christ said, "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I come not to send peace but a sword." Matthew 10:34

... AND BEST REGARDS TO SATANISTS

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Exodus 22:18

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.