Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#39646 - 06/28/10 10:33 PM Re: England? [Re: Room 101]
BFranklin Offline
stranger

Loc: Boston
Canadian living in Boston. Half of my ancestors were from the U.K. so I guess that technically means I am "from" that part of the world. I am dying to actually GO there to make it official. Do you have any recommendations about which parts to visit? Any incredible spots not known to the tourist industry?

#39648 - 06/28/10 11:57 PM Re: England? [Re: BFranklin]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: BFranklin
Do you have any recommendations about which parts to visit? Any incredible spots not known to the tourist industry?

Bristol is pretty cool, there's some awesome countryside around it, good nightlife and some intriguing history - and unlike London, you don't need to sell your mother into slavery to pay for food and accommodation.

Just avoid visiting from October through April unless you enjoy shitty weather - although it's not as bad as northern England. Oh, and steer clear of the bad parts of town and you should return alive. \:D

#39657 - 06/29/10 02:59 AM Re: England? [Re: JoshThorpe]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
London isn't such a bad place, but one does need to know where to go and what to look for.

As for the Island generally, well, the scenery is delightful, and there are always those charming old castles to explore.

#39659 - 06/29/10 03:23 AM Re: England? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Meq Offline
Banned

Just off the south-west coast of England (and its county of Cornwall) are the Isles of Scilly.

A designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, their location is directly in the path of the Gulf Stream, flowing all the way from the Caribbean, which gives them a mild enough climate (Hardiness Zone 10 - with as little frost as Tampa in Florida) for many subtropical plants to grow, which would never survive on the English mainland - as evidenced by the islands' stunning Tresco Abbey Gardens:

Hard to believe these subtropical islands are less than 30 miles off the coast of England.

#39673 - 06/29/10 11:39 AM Re: England? [Re: Meq]
BFranklin Offline
stranger

Loc: Boston
[/quote]
...unlike London, you don't need to sell your mother into slavery to pay for food and accommodation.[/quote]

Already did that. Sorry.

[/quote] ...steer clear of the bad parts of town and you should return alive. \:D [/quote]

I AM the bad part of town.

Thanks Meq and Aquino. I will definitely visit sometime.

#40111 - 07/10/10 09:44 AM Re: England? [Re: JoshThorpe]
Stag Offline
pledge

There are a few of us here, I would have thought.

Try the world map if you're curious, though some of those names probably haven't been here in a while...

Stag

#40133 - 07/11/10 06:55 PM Re: England? [Re: BFranklin]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Try coming down to Nottingham. It's an awesome city in my opinion, due to the sights, the culture, and the shops (I'm personally a bit of a shop-aholic, and find it somewhat therapeutic to buy nice things...).

I can recommend places to go if you decide to come to Nottingham.

#40669 - 07/22/10 10:27 PM Re: England? [Re: DistroyA]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
from across the pond in Ireland, lived in Edinburgh for a good while though and have spent a fair bit of time in London.

#43245 - 09/27/10 03:03 PM Re: England? [Re: jesusbeater]
Mr_Lament Offline
stranger

Loc: England.
Currently in derby, it's a town with a city status and its has the highest squirrel to people ratio in all of the east midlands.
#43982 - 11/03/10 04:59 PM Re: England? [Re: JoshThorpe]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
I'm in Durham during term time. At other times I am in Leeds although originally come from London.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.