Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#35382 - 02/10/10 02:17 AM Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible
MelanosDivinity Offline
stranger

Loc: Port Gibson, Mississippi
As I will be ordering my very own Satanic Bible, I would appreciate it if anyone could help me to get started.

Is it enough to just read the words as they are written,
or is there something more to really assimilating one's
mind and soul to the many scriptures within?

I have always believed that just reading a book isn't enough
one must comprehend what he is reading.

An example would be: While in class, many of my classmates would gaze at the white board with direct eyes, yet they weren't direct in terms of specifically being aligned with the information written on the board, but rather an unseen entity, that hides within the space between their gaze and the board.

Thank you for your tips and advice on reading from The Satanic Bible. I really appreciate your help.

#35390 - 02/10/10 09:13 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Autodidact Offline

I agree with MawhrinSkel - don't fake anything in a mistaken assumption that "you'll take it on faith now and understand it all later".

As one who has only just read it recently, you'll find most of it written in a fairly straightforward manner. It's not all mystical scripture and shadowy metaphor that you'll have to study for years. There are some parts you may not understand the first time through, but, if I may be so bold, it seems to me that upon reading you should either "click" with the philosophy or it will be obvious that you will not.

#35394 - 02/10/10 09:53 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Autodidact]
Jake999 Offline

There are times when reading The Satanic Bible for the first time is like ... well... a religious experience; an epiphany of knowing that you've been "something" all of your life, and damned if this isn't IT. That was what it was like for me on that long flight from JFK to Istanbul. Bu the time I landed, I knew it was for me.

For others, it's very much a mulling over process, taking bits and pieces and seeing how they all fall into place, eventually coming to the conclusion that this little paperback could indeed change your life. For others, it's a "good read, had some good ideas, but on to other things."

Pretty much a key/lock situation to my mind. If that book fits the lock of your mind, it will be opened. If not, take it for what it's worth and move on. No harm, no foul.

#35404 - 02/10/10 11:22 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Jake999]
Noctuary Offline
pledge

Good question. When I picked up the book the first time I Was 15. And the eyes that read it were very different then the eyes that read it now. In fact to be honest..I read it. Put it down. Thought ok, this is a good read. Very practical. Full of common sense. Then as time passed and I would return to it and with new experiences had a new understanding of it. It really pushed me to want to read more and more. I see it as a gateway drug to common sense!

#35444 - 02/10/10 07:54 PM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: MelanosDivinity]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I first came across the name of LaVey in an article in Rolling Stone magazine, which I believe came out in the late 1980’s or the early 1990’s. The written content was interesting, but I was very much attracted to the photos I found in the article.

The guys looked strange, but very interesting. He was dressed entirely in black and with the shaved head and the demonic beard and those narrow eyes. Then there was his blond companion named Blanche Barton, who looked sexy and somehow very dangerous. They were quite compelling. I also noticed that this fellow LaVey had a strange tombstone coffee table and other wonderful and bizarre objects in his possession.

I actually didn’t get a chance to buy and read The Satanic Bible until early 1994. I found it by chance, along with The Satanic Rituals and The Compleat Witch in a good bookstore in inner Sydney.

I bought all three books and took them home to read.

At the time I had just started my university studies and there were a lot of good books around and a lot of re – evaluation and fresh thinking taking place.

My own experience with Dr. LaVey’s works may be different from others.

I read The Satanic Bible and I just thought - well what’s the big deal? I mean this is just all perfect common sense and I was convinced that all one had to do was read the book and they would be convinced that it was common sense as well.

This was a naïve position - probably a case of rather dodgy solipsism.

This book just tended to sum up a lot of the fresh thinking I was engaging in and also made sense when I critically examined the sorts of philosophical positions or opinions I had more or less held dear for many years.

After reading Dr. LaVey’s works for a period of time I put them away and went on working away at what I wanted from life and the world.

I never forgot those books by Dr. LaVey though and now and then I would take them out to read. I also added The Devils Notebook and Satan Speaks and SLOAS to my collection over the years.

I began to study the books seriously again about six months ago and that led me to this lair and other excellent works, such as Dr. Michael Aquino’s ebook on the CoS, as well as current High Priest Peter Gilmour’s book. It also led to a fairly in - depth study of some of the books and films, which were considered important to LaVey and had an influence on his thinking.

Anyway I am a touch envious of anyone who is about to confront The Satanic Bible for the first time. Enjoy!

#35446 - 02/10/10 08:54 PM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: ]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
My initial reaction upon receiving TSB in the mail was excitement, not unlike what a child feels on Christmas morning. The black cover, the Pentagram, the high priest himself. Then I started reading, and I remember feeling a bit let down. I was waiting for a POW, and I never got the POW. Then I hit the keys, which only added to the anticlimactic feel.

It took some time for me to realize that it’s not about the POW. Life itself is not a POW. Life is a reality. That, I think, is the main difference between Satanism and other religious philosophies.

Life is a largely mundane existence, nonsensical, even absurd. The only thing that gives it meaning is the role we play in it. We have the power to make our lives better. That is a concept worth internalizing.

#35452 - 02/10/10 09:37 PM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: William Wright]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

I have always believed that just reading a book isn't enough
one must comprehend what he is reading.

Only a certain type of individual will truly comprehend TSB, and to those individuals TSB serves as a mirror. To those people described by TSB Satanism provides a certain toolset and perspective on the world that sharpens his already keen blade.

If you don't have that "wow this is talking about me" moment, like a lightbulb going on, so to speak, you are probably wasting your time.

#35456 - 02/10/10 10:46 PM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Dan_Dread]
Noctuary Offline
pledge

My ex-fiance, the Muslim guy, read part of the Satanic Bible. That of which he could find considering he can't pick up a copy of that in Egypt! Well he actually found many things in common with the book. He believed it carried alot of common sense. He still believed it was of course incorrect. But he respected the idea of it as a common sense sort of thing. I have to give him credit for actually getting what Satanism is.

#35458 - 02/11/10 12:15 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Dan_Dread]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Anyone who is intelligent and reads this book slowly and carefully will comprehend its contents.

LaVey didn’t want to write some piece of esoteric gibberish, in my opinion. He wanted his work to be plain and to be understood by the reader.

The reader who has completed the book will decide for him or herself whether the book is important, merely odd or interesting, or repugnant or not and than will act accordingly.

I did not have this ‘wow, this is talking to me type experience’ – again as I stated above - it was perfect common sense.

I tend to combat the assumption that if you aren’t drawn into some religious/mystical like moment, where all is revealed or where you are suddenly and completely revealed, than you are somehow excluded from being a Satanist.

I would be tempted to argue that a genuinely discerning Satanist is in fact going to be just as discerning when it comes to reading and judging The Satanic Bible for the first time.

The outcome, in this sense, will be an individual who agrees with the claims made in the work, on the basis of critical study and even testing of the work in the real world.

Regarding The Satanic Bible as a work of common sense is just one of a number of legitimate ways of evaluating this particular work in my opinion.

#35460 - 02/11/10 01:04 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: ]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Quote:

Anyone who is intelligent and reads this book slowly and carefully will comprehend its contents.

And yet everything about your posting history here screams that you do not. How very amusing \:\)

#35461 - 02/11/10 01:15 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Dan_Dread]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I invite you to prove your point.
#35462 - 02/11/10 01:16 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: MelanosDivinity]
EvilDjinn Offline
stranger

Read it! Carefully. Take your time, understand it.

If you really want to "internalize" every bit of it, keep a notebook while you read. For the Book of Satan, I'd recommend going verse by verse. For the others I'd say go by paragraphs. So once you read a verse/paragraph, then write down, essentially, "what you think it means" even if you're just putting it in your own words.

It'll be slow but you'll be familiar with every bit of it.

...anyone else bothered by the word "Satanistic?" It conjures up other things in my mind than the good Doctor's work. But to each their own, I guess.

Edited by EvilDjinn (02/11/10 01:16 AM)

#35463 - 02/11/10 01:20 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Dan_Dread]
Miss May Offline
pledge

Loc: sebastopol, CA
I think you should try to comprehend TSB when you read it. As William Wright stated, your opinion of it may sink in over time. The more you strive to understand it, the more you may gain from it. Whether you decide to apply it to your everyday life is your own choice.
For me, it was clear that TSB was describing an honest way to view things as opposed to a mystical experience. It made instant sense to me.

#35464 - 02/11/10 01:27 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: ]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

What, examples of your use of exegesis to make TSB agree with you, rather than vice versa? Examples of your posts nuthugging Aquino and his theism? Examples of your attempted revisionism history of Anton LaVey?

You'll have to be more specific. I'll tell you one thing though, you certainly don't set off my Satanist detector. You don't smell right.

#35472 - 02/11/10 07:52 AM Re: Internalizing Satanistic Philosophy: The Bible [Re: Dan_Dread]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Methinks the young lad is trying too hard to be something he's not. That's the vibe I've always gotten from him anyway.

Reading this book should feel like the gears (is that what they're called?) of a lock clicking into place. There doesn't have to be an epiphany, not even a mild one, for the book to be valid to you. I didn't have a POW! either, but I didn't expect to. Never bring any expectations into the reading of a book, or anything else for that matter. Take your experiences for what they are, not for what you THINK they should be.

Aside from the rituals, TSB is all of, what? Thirty pages (if that)? There really isn't that much to glean from it if you've been living it all of your life. LaVey didn't speak in couched terms either, so how much left is there to over analyze? I think I've read it twice, and I don't feel the need to keep poring over particular chapters or sections. That starts to smack of dogma, in trying to 'absorb' the tenets of a belief system or philosophy because I just couldn't wrap my head around the ideas presented the first time I read the book.

In short, The Satanic Bible is just not that 'deep', and it sounds as if these newbies are trying to read too much into it.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.