Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#35570 - 02/12/10 07:02 PM The Ultimate One-Percenters
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
So it's always seemed to me that if you're going to do a motorcycle, I mean right, at least if you're an American, then it has to be a Harley-Davidson.

Then if you're going to do a club, it has to be the Hells Angels.

So have any of you had any experience with either? What are your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Director, American Motorcycle Association
We condemn all one-percenters. They’d be condemned if they rode horses, mules, surf boards, bicycles or skate boards. Regretfully they picked motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: A Hells Angel
Man, when you were 15, or 16 years old, did you ever think you’d end up as a Hells Angel? How did I get screwed up with you guys anyway? Man, I got out of the Army and came back to Richmond, Ca., started ridin’ a bike around wearing my Chinos and clean sport shirts, even a helmet ... and then I met you guys. I started getting grubbier and grubbier, dirtier and dirtier; I couldn’t believe it. Then I lost my job. Startin’ all my time, either goin’ on a run or getting’ ready for one - shit, I still can't believe it.

Originally Posted By: Barbara McQueen
My husband (Steve McQueen) told me if I was ever stranded on the side of the road, broke down, or in trouble, and if [the Hells Angels] came by, accept their help. Trust them. Nothing bad would come of it. They’d do me right. He even went on to say that if the politicians ran the country like the club ran its chapters, we’d all be much freer. I think he liked their honor system and the fact that with them a handshake was a handshake, and a deal was a deal.

#35572 - 02/12/10 07:45 PM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Well, I was raised around HA and their goons. One of my earliest memories is of being on a motorcycle. Another one is watching guys count out loot on my Grammas kitchen table. They gave her all the 1 dollar bills and she took me shopping for school supplies \:\) \:\)

In my experience they are straight shooters, good to their word and 100% trustworthy. Honor and principles still mean something to them. Just don't fuck with them or their money if you enjoy being alive.

#35581 - 02/12/10 10:05 PM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Dan_Dread]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Personally, I like real 1%ers. Most likely because we see the world through, more or less, the same lens. Any two 'real' guys will spend a minute or two sniffing each other out. Firstly, you want to make sure you know the other guys intentions. Then, you want to make sure he is actually the genuine article. After that your can pretty much party/ get down to business.

All the same, these days you still have to be a bit wary. In the same way we have grade inflation in school and award inflation in the military, they have patch inflation in clubs.

Not everyone rockin' a 1% is truly 'down for their set.' Now, if you are a run-of-the-mill civilian I still wouldn't start any trouble. It is only when you are working in the rarefied air of the truly dangerous would you even know the difference.

Kurt Saxon wrote a great story called "Wheels of Rage" on this subject. It is worth a read for the uninitiated.

#35593 - 02/13/10 01:02 AM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

This is just for peripheral amusement, not a direct response to this topic, but Satanists/bikers here might like to know that this charming item is available as a restored-DVD. I agree with the reviewers that it doesn't quite make it on either side of the fence, but perhaps James Cameron could be convinced to remake it with style if he's looking for new material after Avatar ...

#35598 - 02/13/10 10:47 AM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Down here the big three are largely involved in crime, mostly drugs and are considered criminal organizations by the government even when they can't do much about it. It's a complex scene with support clubs and hangarounds belonging to one of the three and when being a biker, it is advisable to know which places or people to avoid, even when you're not in one of the clubs.

During my biker years all belonged to free clubs and did whatever they wanted but in the period I quit, things started to change. Clubs were forced to disband or pick sides and become support clubs. New clubs formed and this country was pretty much divided into territories for the big three with occasional collisions between them. I witnessed some of these clashes first hand and have to admit it was quite impressive to watch.

One of the pubs I visit is HA territory even when it isn't obvious to the mass because most still live under the assumption bikers are just bikers. If you're not familiar with the terms, it's pretty hard to identify what belongs to who, except when seeing the full colors.

HD was considered crap in the days I rode a bike. Many of them fell apart while riding them and if my memory serves me well, they have been on the edge of going down. But at some point they shifted into a status symbol and nowadays are considered the thing to ride. I agree that a customized HD is a pretty thing to see and the sound has always been unique.

D.

#35599 - 02/13/10 11:22 AM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Diavolo]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
The AMF years (69-81) were pretty bad for HD because AMF's core business was making bowling pins.

Quality has improved greatly. Today, your best bet is to build a bike up from mostly non-HD parts. Not that there is anything wrong with current HD parts but you can get better stuff for the same price. There is a huge HD aftermarket.

You can also find a lot of stuff on Ebay. If you are a traditionalist, look for pre-69 and pre-electronics stuff. These bikes will continue to outlast the owner. A lot of guys use these parts on new frames.

Of course, a 'real' biker will roll up to a bar full of 'weekend warriors' and just throw his new bike into the back of a pledge's pick-up.

#35601 - 02/13/10 01:49 PM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Fist]
Jake999 Offline

Been around bikes all my life, have ridden Harleys and rocked out to Steppenwolf surrounded by the Oakland Angels. As people, I'd rate them a definite large cut above most that I've seen, and found that they pretty much follow "Do unto others AS they do unto you." Would I trust them without question? Hell no. I wouldn't trust them any more than I would trust most people.

As for riding Harleys, they're ok. They'll get you from point A to point B in style, and the downstroke thump can kick start a virgin's libido. My favorite bike wasn't a Harley though. In 1985, $5000 fell into my lap... wasn't expecting it... but had cash in hand when I wandered into the local bike monger. Lookin' me in the face was a 1985 Yamaha Virago XV1000, sayin', "Ride me, baby." That turned out to be 1000cc of the best fun I have ever had on a great looking bike. It got attention, for sure. One of my most memorable moments was driving down the strip in Vegas and people slowing down to take a look.

I still like Harleys, but damn, if I don't lust for the night I drove from Reno to Vegas, passing Tonopah like it wasn't even there, the engine so hot it seared the leg of my pants, wind in my hair and nothing between me and death at 130 mph other than luck and just plain feeling too damned good to die!

#35604 - 02/13/10 03:16 PM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Lookin' me in the face was a 1985 Yamaha Virago XV1000, sayin', "Ride me, baby." That turned out to be 1000cc of the best fun I have ever had on a great looking bike. It got attention, for sure. One of my most memorable moments was driving down the strip in Vegas and people slowing down to take a look.

I can see why!

Once I was being asked the [old, tired] question, "How do you design a ritual chamber?" I pointed to a dazzling bike parked nearby and said, "That's how."

It is fascinating, and Black Magical, just how personality-reflective these things have become. Even before one starts customizing, the models [exemplified but not limited to within H-D] are soul mirrors much more, I think, than is possible with a sports/customized/classic car.

Quote:
I still like Harleys, but damn, if I don't lust for the night I drove from Reno to Vegas, passing Tonopah like it wasn't even there, the engine so hot it seared the leg of my pants, wind in my hair and nothing between me and death at 130 mph other than luck and just plain feeling too damned good to die!

When I was a kid in high school, I mowed lawns in Santa Barbara to earn enough to buy a Honda C110, which had the ferocious top speed of 45mph. No matter ... When I asked the salesman about a good protective helmet, he said, "Anything over 30mph, just look for the nearest patch of iceplant."

#35606 - 02/13/10 03:45 PM Re: The Ultimate One-Percenters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

LOL! ICEPLANT!!! The state bird of California. It do feel cool on a hot summer's day.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.