Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#35886 - 02/21/10 06:52 AM Another reason I'm glad I'm not from Ireland...
Meq Offline
Banned

Article from the Irish Times

Quote:
IMAGINE A country in which entry to a major profession is subject to a test of oneís private beliefs. A Soviet satellite in the old eastern bloc? Iran? Saudi Arabia? How about Ireland?...

[T]he stark reality [is] that no one can train to be a primary teacher in Ireland unless he or she is either a believing Christian or is prepared to pretend to be so.

...Every single [primary school teacher training] course in Ireland is run by a Christian college, and obliges every single student to both learn and teach Christian doctrine.

Ireland's blasphemy laws are already familiar to some here. However, I'm sure the situation regarding non-Christian trainee teachers will be news to many. The situation is equally dire for those who are openly homosexual.

The discussion below the article is also interesting. Some have claimed that a democracy consisting of mostly Christians should reflect Christian values and dogma, since this is what its populace want. This article suggests however that many Irish would like to see the Church have less power.

Is Ireland really a republic? Or a theocracy?

Originally Posted By: Preamble to Ireland's Constitution
In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred, We, the people of …ire, humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial, gratefully remembering their heroic and unremitting struggle to regain the rightful independence of our Nation, and seeking to promote the common good, with due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity, so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, true social order attained, the unity of our country restored, and concord established with other nations, Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.

#35888 - 02/21/10 02:04 PM Re: Another reason I'm glad I'm not from Ireland... [Re: Meq]
Shadow Dragon Offline
pledge

I wish I could say that this is surprising, but after their blasphamy law, nothing they do could surpris me. Though sooner or later the EU will likely step in tell Ireland to quit it with the theocracy stuff.

#35994 - 02/28/10 09:44 AM Re: Another reason I'm glad I'm not from Ireland... [Re: Meq]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Is Ireland a theocracy or a republic? I would say a combination of both.

Like America, Ireland has the Christian god built into its governing philosophy. Of course, some will argue that the presence of a god in their Constitution and other such documents is merely symbolic and ceremonial, and that as such itís not really important. But it IS important. If it wasnít important, it wouldnít be there.

Those who created those documents included a god because it suited their purposes to do so. They believed in the Christian god and wanted to incorporate that belief into the national framework, and they wanted to use the idea of a god to control the behavior of others using the authority of a perceived higher power.

Ireland uses Christianity to control who teaches its children. America uses Christianity to control who can and canít marry. Both are theocratic elements that should be an affront to anyone who values civil liberties. The problem is that unless the political will for change exists, politicians are quite content to sit on their hands.

Change may work well as a political slogan, but the reality is that the masses tend to be more comfortable with the status quo. Thatís fine. I wonít lose any sleep concerning myself with the masses. Iíve got my own life to deal with.

#35997 - 02/28/10 08:07 PM Re: Another reason I'm glad I'm not from Ireland... [Re: William Wright]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
The influence of the Roman Catholic Church in the Republic of Ireland (Eire)continues to dictate what women can and cannot do with their own bodies (although legislation in Northern Ireland is more liberal but hopelessly vague). Termination of pregnancy in Eire is illegal in all circumstances, even if the mother's life is at stake or her condition is the result of rape.

http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/safersex/unplannedpregnancy/abortioninireland

Contraception is technically available but doctors are not obliged to prescribe it, or even discuss it, if the topic offends their religious sensibilities. Condoms may be purchased at pharmacies (if they stock them) but can be expensive. As late as the 1980's these could be seized by Customs if you were visiting Ireland and decided to bring some with you.
Ireland is a very beautiful, friendly country but the Church keeps it backward and barbaric so far as reproductive autonomy goes and has contributed directly to the death of countless women (and, ironically, potential children)through their attempts to self-abort.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.