Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#35977 - 02/26/10 01:47 PM The perfect Hot chocolate
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ok, for all you dieters, Iím telling you now, just walk away. This really isnít going to help you in your weight loss; itís a true fatty fatty bo batty beverage.

Itís a recipe that I and a chef friend concocted when, shall we say were a tad ehem, ďjollyĒ.

Its melt in the mouth stuff and my pregnant girlfriend swears by it, so you know it has to be good, perfect as well given the dam right ďtropicalĒ weather that we all have been experiencing.

*Take 1kg of Cadbury dairy milk choc, break in half and stick one half in a pan.

*Heat the pan GENTLY until the chocolate starts to melt.

*Continue gently heating the choc until itís all but liquid.

*Now the fun part, slowly add 250ml double cream, not all at once mind, as the chocolate will solidify again (and youíll end up with brown death). Stir gently as you add the cream, just to allow a good mix.

*For the love of all things fattening, DONT let the mix boil. It will taste like shit and the mixture will separate.

*The next part, as they say is up to you.
How thick do you like your hot chocolate? I personally like mine a bit thicker than good batter (poor comparison, Iíll admit).

*For this consistency, add 500ml full milk (a pint of milk for those unschooled in mlís).

*Again as with the cream, donít add too fast, and stir as you do so. This will help you avoid the dreaded lumps.

*And, finally, serve!

I like mine with whipped cream, no marshmallows, I fucking hate them, but if thatís your bag, go nuts. Oh, or even add nuts, why the hell not.

Iím sorry if you canít get hold of British chocolate where you are, but any milk choc should suffice...it wonít be as good, but it should get the job done.

Now for those that will say that this is pretty much just ďhot chocolateĒ, I say to you, read the title cretin. It is what it is, fun in a glass.

Edited by Room 101 (02/26/10 01:50 PM)
Edit Reason: Fat hands

#35978 - 02/26/10 03:13 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
LOL! Fat hands? Did you get those from too much of that delicious hot chocolate, Room 101?
I hope your pregnant girlfriend is feeling well nourished and happy? This is a seriously goooood, recipe, thank you. I'm a hot chocolate fan and find that a Cadbury's flake crumbled on the whipped cream to be a suitable substitute for marshmallows. Ohhhhh - and scoop it up with a brandy snap! ;\)

#35980 - 02/26/10 04:18 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I would throw some Ice 101 into that mix for good measure. Just remember not to add too much because alcohol and dairy products don't mix well.

#35996 - 02/28/10 09:55 AM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Do you find that this recipe starts to thicken as it cools? It would seem to me that the chocolate would want fall out of suspension in the milk and again begin to coagulate. I do like the idea of this process though.

The best way to heat chocolate is with a double boiler. Anyone not familiar with it should google it. It is best way to control heat when heating chocolate or milk.

There is a great recipe for Mexican Hot Chocolate but I can't seem to find it online. I know what goes into it but I am can't remember the ratios. There are many variations on this dink including some that include eggs and chili powder. Basically, the formula I personally recommend places dark bitter Mexican chocolate into a large tall pot with water, unrefined sugar and whole cinnamon stick. Not all of these recipes use water but the one I know does. A whole vanilla bean is added to the mixture near the end. Never over cook a whole vanilla bean. The solid contents are strained off and it is served like hot coffee with milk.

If I find the proper recipe I will post it.

#36157 - 03/08/10 10:05 AM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Fist]
Room 101 Offline

Yes, this mixture will inevitably thicken as it cools, but the addition of the double cream seems to hold it some kind of semi stable suspension.

Adding alcohol is recommended. I have added Baileys Irish cream, this seem to mix with no problem (perhaps this is due to Baileys constituent component being cream).

#37446 - 04/08/10 12:59 AM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
That sounds amazing! I think I'll try this with those little andes mint chocolates and see how it turns out. That with whipped cream would probably give orgasms.

I've heard you can melt peanut butter into hot chocolate and it's suppose to be fantastic but I've never been able to do it.

Now I've got a million ideas of what to try this with. Maybe a chocolatey eggnog? The possibilities are endless!

#37468 - 04/09/10 02:31 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: TV is God]
Room 101 Offline

An interesting addition would be some spearmint oil...that might give it a suitably minty kick. That or adding some of the new Bailies Mint cream thatís out at the moment. Or as you suggest, mint chocolate...so yes, I think mint would go down a treat.

As for the peanut butter, Iím in two minds. Iím not the biggest fan of nuts, but if you are, Iíll bet it tastes great. Thatís the wonderful thing about recipes such as this; you can pretty
much add anything.

Oh, and what the fuck is eggnog?

#37470 - 04/09/10 04:27 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggnog

I guess it's not that common outside the US and Canada. Or maybe there's just a different name for it elsewhere? Most people put alcohol in but I just drink it straight. It has a very unique flavor. It's pretty good stuff.

#37471 - 04/09/10 04:45 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: TV is God]
Room 101 Offline

I have to be honest, that sounds ripe.

Please, donít miss interpret my profanity as rudeness, I generally talk like a crack whore.lol

Thanks for posting a link. and curing my stupidity (on this matter at least).

#37561 - 04/13/10 02:59 AM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Kahlua goes wonderful with eggnog. Oh, and butterscotch schnapps. The things you can add to eggnog. I found a carmel kahlua that I love to add to eggnog. Delicious!

Hmm, but that hot chocolate would be killer on the thighs. Just thinking about it and a little bit of Irish Cream.....Yum!

#38194 - 04/30/10 06:28 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Nyte]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned mixing some Malibu rum into hot chocolate. There used to be a recipe for this printed right on the back of the bottle.

Enjoy

~T~

#38320 - 05/05/10 01:51 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: ta2zz]
Room 101 Offline

Malibu? Thats just crazy enough to work.

#38321 - 05/05/10 02:19 PM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Room 101]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Any flavor of rum is delicious with hot chocolate, as well as coffee. I once made a hot buttered rum drink during winter, and it was DELICIOUS.

Hot buttered rum recipe

#38348 - 05/06/10 09:55 AM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Nemesis]
Trick Offline
lurker

Loc: Cross, SC
I went home and tried it and it was really good but i think that it does taste better with a little ice. It kinda taste like a iced latte.
#56595 - 07/07/11 06:29 AM Re: The perfect Hot chocolate [Re: Trick]
Lordvampyr666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Indiana
Thou hast concocted a tasty holiday beverage.

One line posts are frowned upon here. Morgan

Edited by Morgan (07/07/11 10:49 AM)
Edit Reason: warning/information

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Fnord, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.