Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#36003 - 03/01/10 08:35 AM Beer, the good stuff
Wake Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
I myself am a huge fan of beer. I have sampled many different brands, brews, and styles.

I am curious as to which beer is you favourite?

#36028 - 03/02/10 07:41 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Wake]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I tend to like medium-bodied beers, lagers and ales. So far, Samuel Adams has made the best-tasting beer I've yet to quaff. I also like their variety of seasonal brews, and think their Oktoberfest is delicious. However, some of their really dark beers like the Scotch Ale and Black Lager, were too bitter for my taste.

I'm also a fan of Hefeweizen, made by several breweries. Wheat ales go down smooth, are light yet have lots of flavor.

Newcastle Brown Ale and Guinness is also tasty.

I refuse to drink classic American beers like Budweiser, Miller, Coors and Heineken, because they all taste like piss. If those are the only beers offered, I will drink water instead!

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about beer and it's many styles and regional varieties, but I do know what I like. I get odd looks on occasion when I order a dark beer. I guess women are supposed to stick with Corona or Michelob Ultra Lite when it comes to beer. Bleah.

#36033 - 03/02/10 03:16 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Nemesis]
Jake999 Offline

Like the commercial says... "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer..."

I seldom drink much of anything, but when I do, I like:

Efes Beer from Turkey
Touborg Beer from Denmark
Lowenbrau (Export, not the US Domestic) from Germany
Moosehead Beer from Canada

If I do drink an American beer, I usually gravitate toward some of the microbrews. There are some EXCELLENT ones in the Cleveland area. If you ever get into a Winking Lizard, try several.

#36037 - 03/02/10 05:11 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Jake999]
GillesdeRais Offline

If you get a chance, and there are 'upscale' liquor stores in your area, try asking for a 'barley wine'. I have become hooked on the stuff. It's basically beer/ale on steroids, i.e. excessive fermentation jacks to alcohol content over 12.5%, usually, or into wine-country...Usually the taste is smooth, generally with no lasting aftertaste, and the buzz comes on smooth and strong. And re:Nemesis, I love Guinness, especially black and tans (1 layer guinness/1 layer Bass or Harp). Try one of those! Happy Motoring \:\)

#36042 - 03/02/10 08:55 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: GillesdeRais]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I really have a taste for the Belgian stuff. D - where are you brother?

Try some of the Belgian fruit lambics.

For true beer, try Duvel - http://www.duvelusa.com/

Of course, Stella Artois (thats "are-twa" for those not versed in French) is quite good and available most anywhere these days thanks to the global Belgian distributor InBev. InBev also now owns the American beer icon Anheuser-Busch.

#36046 - 03/03/10 03:25 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Wake]
Simon Jester Offline
stranger

Pilsner Urquell is a lovely thing. Stella, of course...and the occasional success with homebrew.
#36047 - 03/03/10 06:11 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Simon Jester]
CanisMajor Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
Most ales are good. I prefer the darker ales as opposed to the pales (like IPA). Newcastle is tasty,and is wonderful at room temperature. Believe it or not,Budweiser has an "American Ale" that is surprisingly good!

All of the New Belgium stuff is awesome,with the exception of 1554. Fat Tire is king. Blue Paddle,Mothership,and Sunshine Wheat are nice also.

Sometimes,I enjoy a really cloudy wheat beer like Shiner Hefeweizen or Pyramid. Blue Moon is pretty good too.

Shiner Bock and Ziegenbock are great,although I'm not sure if you can get these outside of Texas.

I don't usually drink the domestic stuff,but Killians' Irish Red is just too damn tasty!

My all-time favorite is Chimay Premiere Trappist Ale.
$11.50 for 22 ounces. Believe me,it's THAT good.

#36050 - 03/03/10 07:23 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: CanisMajor]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Ah, almost forgot about Killian's...yes, they ARE good!

It's nice to read others' favorites, one of these days I'll hit the Total Wine store and hopefully find some of these brews and try them for myself.

Gilles: The Black & Tan concoction sounds interesting, I'll have to give that a try \:\)

#36053 - 03/03/10 09:08 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Wake]
Fnord Moderator Offline

I'm a fan too...

Recently I tried something called Arrogant Bastard Ale which, at first try, was kind of like a bitter smack in the mouth. Later though I started wondering about the underlying flavors and had to get some more. It's grown on me but it's definitely an acquired taste (not for Miller Lite drinkers).

I like Shiner Black, Shiner Bock and I really like Shiner's Hefeweizen with lemon slices.

I'll to give some of the others mentioned a go.

#36056 - 03/03/10 02:22 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Fist]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
I think this could have ended with Duvel as it is a perfect example of a Belgian strong.

I am really digging the Rogue Chipotle Ale right now. Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout ranks right up there with laughter and orgasms in my opinion.

I'm trying to phase drinking out of my life for a while as it really tends to slow me down (which I think IS the point of it) and as I am writing and thinking about these wonderful creations my nipples are getting hard which I think is a sign that a person is drinking too much...

Echigo does a stout that is really nice in that it is not too heavy. Plus it is just cool to drink Japanese stout when they are known for so many OTHER things.

Scary topic…

Delusion

#36059 - 03/04/10 02:11 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: delusion]
CanisMajor Offline
stranger

How did I forget about Bass Ale?
I'm definitely going to give the Black n Tan a whack.

I really wasn't a big fan of Guinness until a few years back,when I discovered these.

#36072 - 03/04/10 11:35 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: CanisMajor]
Sireal Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
I have to- I am Canadian~ well the passport says so anyway...

Yukon Red-Amber Ale
Becks
Kokanee
Guinness-best in Ireland though
Dead Guy Ale-Oregon I think
Lead Dog- another Yukon Brewing Co. product, Dark Ale-will kick your ass around the block 7.8%

Mead- In Ca. staying with friends who made this stuff- that was damn fine! but apparently takes a while to make.

I will do any micro-brewed beer at least once and have....
the older I get the less I drink so I'm making time while I can but I'm a cheap date 5-8 beers and I'm done and headed for a comfortable chair for a nap.

Now good scotch is another story altogether.....

#36073 - 03/04/10 11:50 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Sireal]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

In no particular order:

PBR
Coors (Original, Coors Light is for women)
Becks
Heineken
Rolling Rock
Guiness
Arrogant Bastard
Dead Guy
Newcastle
Red Stripe
Tsing Tao
Kokanee
Stella Artois
St. Pauli Girl
Sam Adams

I could keep going but I will stop there.

#36074 - 03/04/10 11:54 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: CanisMajor]
Diavolo Moderator Offline
RIP
stalker

There are two kinds of beer; Belgian beer and all those other things they call beer too.

The only foreign beer I used to drink in the past was Carlsberg. Often for the practical reason that they have that one in about all pubs around the country. I tend to dislike mixing beers when going pub-hopping during an all-nighter. Sadly they changed their bottle into something which reminds me of a Sprite bottle so I quit ordering it. Beer should not only taste good, it should look good too.

Duvel, as Fist recommended, is indeed good. Jupiler, part of Inbev, has a new beer out called Tauro which isn't too bad either. To a degree it reminds me of Duvel.
Another beer I recently discovered here is La Chouffe ( http://www.achouffe.be) which is quite good if you fancy the taste. The only thing I have against it, is that it goes down so well, you'll be drunk faster than you hoped for. That's a common problem with most stronger Belgian beers. Most of them you won't drink all night. Make that "can't" drink all night. They knock you out quite fast if you're not used to them. In many cases even when you're used to them.

The Trappists of Belgium are also something to try but most have a somewhat special taste. I especially fancy the Orval. On average, you can't go wrong when ordering Belgian beer. Beer is in our genes. There are very few that are rubbish and the only thing that might trigger a dislike is a flavor that doesn't go well with some.

At this moment I'm mostly drinking Ops-ale, a beer brewed about five minutes from here. Not the best around but occasionally one should support their local brewery. Unless, of course, you do not live in Belgium.

D.

#36105 - 03/05/10 09:56 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Wake Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
Wow.
I'm feeling rather 'inadequate' now.

As exquisite as those beers sound, I don't think I have seen barely any of them at my local grog shop.

The ones I have tried though include:

Corona
Sol
Becks
Calsberg Elephant
Some form of 'black' beer
Matilda bay Fat Yak
Stella Artois
Kirin
Grolchs
Budweiser
Miller Genuine Draft
Toohey's new

As well as many Asutralian brewed beers which I'm guessing (many of) you haven't heard of.

My favourite though out of all of those I have named is probably the japanese beer: Kirin.
To my despair, I found out it is actually brewed here in Australia, and is only Japanese style.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Fnord, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.