Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#36109 - 03/06/10 01:31 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Wake]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I wonder how many folk here have tried UK Real Ale? It's typically around 4.3% by VOL, smooth and not gassy. I rarely drink alcohol now but have sampled the delights of these beverages from time to time. Very popular with the pagan crowd, there are hundreds of brands from Merlin's Cave, through Wobbly Bob to Son of a Bitch! Some Real Ale pubs have their own micro-brewery and customers can see the ale being created on the premises. Here is a link to the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) http://www.camra.org.uk.

#36127 - 03/06/10 02:43 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: felixgarnet]
Diavolo Moderator Offline
RIP
stalker

For those interested in Belgian beer, here's a web page that contains some info.

A Beginner's Guide to Belgian Beer

D.

#37725 - 04/17/10 06:15 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Mardi Gras Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
Heavy drinker here, so beer doesn't hardly ever do jumping jacks for me. I'm usually spending close to an hour in the liquor store just browsing through things I've never tried, so I guess you can say I'm an alcoholic entreprenuer. sweet tea vodka, that was a kick. the new captain morgans coming out are killer, like tattoo. schnapps frequent favorites of mine, absinthe a once a week thing... But if it's in a can I would have to say the malty stuff, Old English.

#38042 - 04/23/10 08:43 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Mardi Gras]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Now, I'm home at last! I respect beer, especially lagers, as alcohol has played an important role in my life. Yes, I'm an alcoholic. LOL After all, that's the first step in a 'twelve step' program. Correct? No mater how small-medium-large the beer imbiber drinks, they have someone else who enjoys cracking open a brew as much as they do.

#38192 - 04/30/10 05:37 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: paolo sette]
Wijesin Offline
stranger

Beer is one of the nicer things life has to offer. As for brands I am not that picky, although Bud and Corona, for instance, is a bit bland for my taste. As I post, I drink Waldemar’s Pale Ale. Soothing bitterness. Simple, but without being boring. Czech beers are often nice, Urquel being the one easiest to find in the stores around here. Erdinger Weiss and Paulaner are good German beers, if you’re into yeasty richness. If you haven’t tried, try. There are some really worthy micro-breweries pulling along locally, and I have gladly given them some business. Don’t think they sell internationally, though. For those of you who’re near Washington DC, there is (or was, possibly) a place called the Brickskeller near Dupont circle that can serve you a thousand different beers. Nice place to go… uh… exploring.

One un-missable beer-experience that ought to be tried by everyone is wearing oneself completely out, say a 12 hrs march with a heavy pack through mountains, and then having a cold one. I’ll never forget the first beer I had after coming down from Kilimanjaro. Should you go to Tanzania, I recommend the brands Serengeti, Tusker, Kilimanjaro and Safari, in that order. Safari was unforgivably malty for my taste, but often the only alternative.

#38195 - 04/30/10 07:01 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Wijesin Offline
stranger

This was after the bush pig incident, but before the dolphin-on-the beach debacle. For those who are interested, me and my travelling companion got a bush pig into our tent in the middle of the African night. The bush pig is the somewhat larger cousin of the warthog. And it doesn't take a cent for ripping the outer tent open, dragging 40 pound backpacks out, throwing the contents about, chewing them a bit, and covering everything in sticky, smelly bush pig saliva. The Lonely Planet guide from the trip, ironically warning us of such dangers, has bite-marks.

Oh yes, that very same night I also shared my sleeping bag with soldier ants, and African buffalos was so near the tent that you could hear them farting. I am not kidding. For getting close to nature, don't miss the Ngorogoro-crater.

They don't import to Norway, AFAIK, altough I for one would like to taste Tusker and Serengeti again. Africa is hardly notably for beer, but I would expect the ex-german and ex-UK African countries to have decent brews. In Egypt, however, they serve mostly donkey's piss. Islam is to blame, if you ask me, as well as a cheerful contempt of openness and quality control in the business granted the beer-producing commission.

@Maw's earlier post: Guinness and stouts - yes, good stuff. I think they are supposed to be served cold, but not fridge-cold. 10 deg C, perhaps?

Edited by Wijesin (04/30/10 07:08 PM)
Edit Reason: Two 'although's in a row.

#41465 - 08/05/10 11:05 AM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Wijesin]
Fnord Moderator Offline

Loc: Texas
A headline from AOL/Time Warner news:

Forget Exercise, Beer Best for Fighting Fat

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd consider that your engraved invitation to indulge at will ;\)

#41535 - 08/06/10 08:14 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Fnord]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
A headline from AOL/Time Warner news:

Forget Exercise, Beer Best for Fighting Fat

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd consider that your engraved invitation to indulge at will ;\)

The alleged selling point is that beer has less calories than other alcoholic drinks because it contains less alcohol. I think I'll hit the treadmill and go for something a little stronger.

Still, I'll bet that news will be received well by these guys.

#41543 - 08/06/10 11:16 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: XiaoGui17]
Fnord Moderator Offline

Loc: Texas
Yeah, I got the point. I was just trying to slant my argument in the direction of my proclivities. I'll do the same with peanut butter \:\)

I'm glad I haven't been as drunk as some of them fellers in quite some time. I doubt my old beat up body would react favorably and it'd probably take me longer to recover than it did back in the day.

There are some great micro breweries up your way, by the way. If you ever develop a taste for a good beer you're in the best proximity for it in the state.

#41976 - 08/16/10 06:34 PM Re: Beer, the good stuff [Re: Fnord]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
Recently I tried something called Arrogant Bastard Ale which, at first try, was kind of like a bitter smack in the mouth. Later though I started wondering about the underlying flavors and had to get some more. It's grown on me but it's definitely an acquired taste (not for Miller Lite drinkers).

LOL I've had AB once, and I quite enjoyed it. I never would have thought that I'd find others who thought something of it as well.

One of my hobbies is to try a new beer whenever I go to a bar (not always a possibility, depending on what they have available) or a liquor store (ditto).

Currently in my fridge's "beer playlist" is Stella Artois. It has become one of my favorites.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with it (and I'm assuming you are as no one has mentioned it), you might give Greek beer a try. I'm not sure how known they are for their beer, but FIX 1864 is pretty good. It's not "Greek", as it is a lager brewed in the Bavarian tradition. Oh, well.

Another from Greece you might try is Mythos.
They've only been around since about 1997, but it's a pretty smooth lager.

I recently went to a German "beer hall" in DC, Biergarten Haus, where I tried Köstritzer. The description on the beer menu says: "Deep black color with a thin tan head. Light in body and carbonation with hints of coffee and bitter sweet chocolate. Finishes light with a slight coffee finish." Tasty goodness.

Oh, and a word about domestic: one of my favorite domestic beers is Michelob Amber Bock. It's got a wonderful flavor, and goes down smooth.

I'd also like to give a mention to Pete's Wicked .

Homo Homini Lupus

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Fnord, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.