Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#36132 - 03/06/10 04:48 PM Quotes from H.P. Lovecraft
SOLERIFT Offline
stranger

Loc: Dallas, TX
"There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine"

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

"We were not, as I have said, in any sense childishly superstitious, but scientific study and reflection had taught us that the known universe of three dimensions embraces the merest fraction of the whole cosmos of substance and energy. In this case an overwhelming preponderance of evidence from numerous authentic sources pointed to the tenacious existence of certain forces of great power and, so far as the human point of view is concerned, exceptional malignancy."

"That which is not dead can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even death may die"

"There be those who say that things and places have souls, and there be those who say they have not; I dare not say, myself, but I will tell of The Street."

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

"I have dwelt ever in realms apart from the visible world; spending my youth and adolescence in ancient and little-known books, and in roaming the fields and groves of the region near my ancestral home. I do not think that what I read in these books or saw in these fields and groves was exactly what other boys read and saw there; but of this I must say little, since detailed speech would but confirm those cruel slanders upon my intellect which I sometimes overhear from the whispers of the stealthy attendants around me."

"Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon."

"Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. Science, already oppressive with its shocking revelations, will perhaps be the ultimate exterminator of our human species -- if separate species we be -- for its reserve of unguessed horrors could never be borne by mortal brains if loosed upon the world."

"There are not many persons who know what wonders are opened to them in the stories and visions of their youth; for when as children we learn and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts, and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life."

"But some of us awake in the night with strange phantasms of enchanted hills and gardens, of fountains that sing in the sun, of golden cliffs overhanging murmuring seas, of plains that stretch down to sleeping cities of bronze and stone, and of shadowy companies of heroes that ride caparisoned white horses along the edges of thick forests; and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy."

"I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness..."

"By necessity practical and by philosophy stern, these folk were not beautiful in their sins. Erring as all mortals must, they were forced by their rigid code to seek concealment above all else; so that they came to use less and less taste in what they concealed."

"History had led me to this archaic grave. History, indeed, was all I had after everything else ended in mocking Satanism."

"The witchcraft terror is a horrible ray of light on what was stewing in men's crushed brains, but even that is a trifle. There was no beauty; no freedom -- we can see that from the architectural and household remains, and the poisonous sermons of the cramped divines. And inside that rusted iron strait-jacket lurked gibbering hideousness, perversion, and diabolism. Here, truly, was the apotheosis of the unnamable."

"Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way."

"It is a mistake to fancy that horror is associated inextricably with darkness, silence, and solitude. I found it in the glare of mid-afternoon, in the clangour of a metropolis, and in the teeming midst of a shabby and commonplace rooming-house with a prosaic landlady and two stalwart men by my side."

"Calm, lasting beauty comes only in dream, and this solace the world had thrown away when in its worship of the real it threw away the secrets of childhood and innocence."

"It was after this that he cultivated deliberate illusion, and dabbled in the notions of the bizarre and the eccentric as an antidote for the commonplace. Most of these, however, soon shewed their poverty and barrenness; and he saw that the popular doctrines of occultism are as dry and inflexible as those of science, yet without even the slender palliative of truth to redeem them."

#36147 - 03/07/10 11:55 PM Re: Quotes from H.P. Lovecraft [Re: SOLERIFT]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Attributions to specific stories, essays, or letters would be helpful if you have them.

#36165 - 03/08/10 11:42 PM Re: Quotes from H.P. Lovecraft [Re: SOLERIFT]
SOLERIFT Offline
stranger

I pulled quite a few from this site, they have the sources listed.

http://www.amk.ca/quotations/hp-lovecraft/

#36168 - 03/09/10 01:13 AM Re: Quotes from H.P. Lovecraft [Re: SOLERIFT]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Thanks, helpful to put them in context of HPL's musing of the moment. I recognized several of them, but not all. It is always gruntling when reading his stuff to suddenly come across one of these gems!

If you can get your hands on copies of his Selected Letters, Volumes I-V from Arkham House, HPL's private correspondence was full of reverie. No wonder the "Lovecraft Circle" developed and pursued epistolary exchanges with him so devotedly!

#36313 - 03/13/10 11:18 AM Re: Quotes from H.P. Lovecraft [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SOLERIFT Offline
stranger

Lovecraft has always fascinated me - a man who ardently claimed to hold no beliefs in relation to his body of work, yet he could not help but narrate story after story, each revealing some of the more profound thought currents to (re)surface in the early 20th century.

"Selected Letters" is composed private correspondence? \:\) I have never heard of that volume but it sounds like a real treasure!

I have to wonder if his staunch public rejection of the subtle truth to his mental excursions was merely a symptom of the time period he found himself living in, wherein it would probably not be acceptable to present his stories as personal "revelations" because he would be disrespected, jailed, committed - or worse - lynched.

(especially considering the time and place in which he grew up - his stories, if presented as actual spiritual insights, would have certainly been (and still are) an unwelcome intrusion into the mental universe of those who cherish none but the literary expositions of bliss and benevolence).

Thanks for the recommend!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.