Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#36225 - 03/11/10 11:12 AM Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

In the news today the band Pink Floyd has won a ruling by a judge stating that their songs cannot be sold as separate online downloads. This was due to their contract protecting the artistic integrity of their albums.

I myself see this as a small victory over the machine and thought that many would feel the same but the comments show differently. What I see in this new form of consumer they are slightly retarded, like to complain and have little commonsense. The perfect consumer perhaps if it were I running the machine.

Full story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/ap_en_mu/eu_britain_pink_floyd

Oh well who would have thought this is what we get from Burger King letting you have it your way. Come to think of it the biggest complainers about this probably download their music illegally anyway.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments? Do you see this as a victory for the small guy or see Pink Floyd trying to shape the music industry thinking they are gods?

~T~

#36231 - 03/11/10 12:26 PM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: ta2zz]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I'm glad Pink Floyd got their way. It's their music and they have a contract. If that is how they want to retain their vision, let them. I have seen them live three times, and the best way to listen to them is live or as a complete album.

Yes, the people complaining were idiots in their choices of words. Its just another symptom of the instant gratification society we live in now. They don't want to take the time to listen to a whole album and decide what tracks they like. They only want to listen to the tracks that their friends like or are deemed "good and popular". Fucking masses.

As it was, one guy was talking about a site where you could buy tracks for 10 cents online. Ten cents, how is an artist supposed to get a cut of that? How is a cut of ten cents going to pay for studio time to record a new album. If you can buy the whole album for a dollar where is the incentive to ever sign a new artist or resign a well known artist?

I knew the Beatles don't sell their music online, but I think its only a matter of time for them. They sold out to guitar hero after all.

Morgan

#36233 - 03/11/10 04:49 PM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: Morgan]
Jake999 Offline

"Seven and a half cents doesn't mean a heck of a lot, seven and a half cents doesn't mean a thing. But give it to me every hour, forty hours every week. That's enough for me to be living like a king."

Seven and a Half Cents from the musical Pajama Story

It's a bit short sighted to see that dime as nothing, Morgan. And even if the group gets 2 cents from every download, it might not be... but you're forgetting the economy of scale. The site is making 8 cents... they're sitting there with stacks of servers simply dispensing music every time someone drops a dime. Their overhead is low... The GROUP gets two cents.

Ok. Two cents ONCE is nothing much. I'll probably walk past two cents laying on the street. But multiply that two cents by one hundred downloaders... $2.00. If you saw two dollars on the street, would you pick it up? Ok. Now, say there are 100,000 people downloading your song today. $2000. You bet your ass you'd pick it up. Two cents can build, and we're only talking about ONE SITE here and one instance.

Consider now that there are probably 50,000 sites around the world that you might be able to apply that charge to. $2000 x 50,000 = $100,000,000. Might not happen all in one day, or all in one month, or all in one year, but when you look at the contribution of the expendable income of the masses in the parting down of the sale of that download to disburse one's cut, even a small cut could be very, very lucrative, especially for the hugely popular groups like Pink Floyd.

And it's all just "found money." It's that 2 cents on the street that they would walk past on their way to the limo. And they're not even getting the lion's share of the dime being paid for the download.

#36235 - 03/11/10 05:36 PM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: Jake999]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
It might be short sighted on my part, maybe not.

100,000 downloads times 2 cents.
50,000 sites times that
= A MAYBE $100,000,00 over who knows how long a period of time.

A maybe is not going to pay the rent or studio time this month.

Amount of downloaded music no one pays for, a damn hell of a lot.
Amount of that lost money that goes to the artist, zero. That's why napster got sued and shut down.

I think that if you can control how the product is distributed, you can control how it is stolen. This might also be one of the underlying reasons behind it since they were also suing for royalities they believe the company cheated them out of.

M

#36236 - 03/11/10 06:11 PM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: Morgan]
Jake999 Offline

The "Maybe" is what makes millionaires, Morgan. And business is a game of longevity and capitalization on opportunities.

#36241 - 03/12/10 02:07 AM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: Jake999]
CanisMajor Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
Good for them!

Who in the world would listen to The Division Bell or Dark Side of the Moon in fractured form? Would a master-piece like Shine on You Crazy Diamond,in all 9 parts,even get any play with the kids?

Not to even mention the Syd Barrett years.

How many times did you buy a record,tape,or CD because of a few particular songs and find even cooler stuff?

Album covers,liner notes,concept pieces,song order,seem to be making an exit. The digital revolution has already destroyed enough fine music as it is. \:\(

These guys are fighting the good fight!

Edited by CanisMajor (03/12/10 02:15 AM)
Edit Reason: fraught with stupidity

#36245 - 03/12/10 04:08 AM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: CanisMajor]
Sireal Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
If anyone has the clout to kick the shit out of the music industry its PF. PF has been a mainstay for most of my life and I tend to refer to them as the Lords of Light- having the best freakin light show in existence. I was going through my vinyl yesterday and still have many of their albums in tact and was about to sell them off but made a "keeper" pile and they ended up there. I've dl a few of their songs off itunes and don't like listening to them as singles. Their albums are whole pieces and are certainly intended to be listened to as whole lyrical/musical sculptures. Good on them!

#36254 - 03/12/10 10:29 AM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: ta2zz]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Personally I don’t agree with the idea that to listen to one song, I need to purchase an entire album...but hey that’s just me.

I do agree however, that it is their intellectual property, and as such they have a right to dictate how it is distributed.

I just hope that this trend doesn’t inspire other bands to follow suit, as this will start to erode the crowning benefit of systems such as iTunes over conventional “full album download” sites (its pick and mix methodology of track shopping).

#36257 - 03/12/10 11:54 AM Re: Pink Floyd wins battle with EMI over online sales [Re: Room 101]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
It won't make a difference to illegal downloaders. They'll just buy the album (or download it from a torrent for free), crack the DRM software, and split the songs up anyway. PF won a battle, but not the war. I doubt many other bands have the money and/or clout to follow suit to have their work available only in whole album format. It may bite them in the ass too, as teens getting into their music don't want to or can't afford to pay the full album price. But the Pink Floyd guys are already millionaires, so it makes no difference to them. They're just making a point.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.