Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#36237 - 03/11/10 08:17 PM Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

In Atlanta today a 65 year old man who due to religious reasons declared Elton John must die in a YouTube video has been arrested for making terrorist threats. It seems they are not saying directly who this man threatened but the mans son believes it is connected to this video of his father holding a sign outside a place where Mr. John is rumored to have a residence.

I am interested in how this will play out on the one hand we have a man clearly within his freedom of speech saying he believes someone must die. On the second hand we must know that the reason he believes EJ must die is he came out and declared that he thought Jesus was an intelligent gay man. He desecrated the image of the lord to this man. On the third hand we must realize this man had something to do with the website years back that posted the home addresses of all abortion doctors.

Are we seeing someone being pushed over freedom of speech or are we simply seeing this mans past catching up with him.

Interesting times indeedÖ

Full story here: http://www.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/ap_en_mu/us_video_threat_arrest

~T~

#36239 - 03/11/10 11:39 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: ta2zz]
Adversary Offline
pledge

Interesting times, yes. You know, it really does take adults to live in a free country. That crazy guy has every right to believe whatever he wants. He can think someone should be dead for being a homosexual, his ideas may alienate him, but he can think that all he wants. In just the same, another man can think gay is the way for him, and jesus would join him; but we all turn into little fucking kids when we start choosing to take offense to things that don't really have anything to do with us in the first place and start shouting nonsense from the street corners. Everyone BUT the religious realise that people are different, we all have our own thing and have to put shit aside sometimes to have a mature society. One day, huh?...
#36240 - 03/12/10 01:44 AM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: ta2zz]
CanisMajor Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
Making a Terrorist Threat is basically arresting somebody on the basis of them talking shit. In Texas it's a Class B Misdemeanor. Hell,this guys' bail wouldn't have been anywhere near $40,000 down here.

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Are we seeing someone being pushed over freedom of speech or are we simply seeing this mans past catching up with him.

I think you'll find out when he starts to the ACLU.

#36262 - 03/12/10 04:01 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: CanisMajor]
Shadow Dragon Offline
pledge

While I'm very pro-free speech and expression, this guy was pushing it. Is it really too much to ask adults not to make death threats just about someone is different or thinks differently? Well the answer is probably yes. \:\( So this guy is basically getting what he deserves. A nice fat bill to either the state or a lawyer. Possibly both.

#36263 - 03/12/10 04:34 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: Shadow Dragon]
Jake999 Offline

Responsibility to the responsible. Make stupid comments, pay the consequences.

#36350 - 03/13/10 10:42 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: ta2zz]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
There is no such thing as free speech. No society can tolerate free speech; if it did then it would quickly descend into anarchy. Hell, this very forum does not tolerate free speech. Trolls and idiots are warned and, if necessary, banned if they donít tow the line. This is as it should be.

The guy was clearly asking for trouble, so he got it. I hope they prosecute him to the full extent of the law, if for no other reason than being a moron.

#36353 - 03/13/10 10:49 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: William Wright]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Horsley will get his wish in any case. Elton John will die. One day. \:\)

#36370 - 03/14/10 01:40 AM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arres [Re: ta2zz]
exadust Offline
pledge

Loc: georgia
Ingnorant comments come at a price. Like stated there is no freedom of speech. But the man's past most likely had something to do with it. If the law system can't convict someone for murder then they go for tax evasion it's no different in this case just the circumstances. He pissed someone off before and his comment opened him up.

#36372 - 03/14/10 01:46 AM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: ta2zz]
Vlad Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia
The guy was a moron and acted as such. He made a deliberate threat to someone and based on his past, gave enough reason to warrant an arrest. Is it bad that this man was arrested for what amounts to his beliefs? Yes. Am I surprised? No. Do I feel sorry for him? No.

He should be smart enough to understand the implications of his words and what the general public feels about his political beliefs. He acted stupidly and is facing the consequences.

#36381 - 03/14/10 06:25 AM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: William Wright]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
There is no such thing as free speech. No society can tolerate free speech; if it did then it would quickly descend into anarchy. Hell, this very forum does not tolerate free speech. Trolls and idiots are warned and, if necessary, banned if they donít tow the line. This is as it should be.

Actually free speech IS tolerated.
The fact trolls and idiots are being banned and warned is because the mods and admins have the freedom to do so...

Free speech is a gift being served together with the idea of "responsibility". You can quote Nazi slogans, you can shoot niggers, you can hate anything you want and say anything you want; as do others who take the freedom to kick ass if they don't like the things you've done or like.

#36437 - 03/14/10 06:44 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: ta2zz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Ridiculous. Saying that someone should die is not a threat, it is an opinion. I say that certain people should die all the time. Hell, I'll do it right now: Pat Robertson should die. That is just an opinion. If I were to say something along the lines of "I am going to kill Pat Robertson" - that would be a threat.

I may disagree with the views the man holds that caused him to do what he did but I don't think he should have been arrested for it. Once you start supporting the persecution of one person for their words you are automatically saying it is okay for someone to do the same to you.

#36438 - 03/14/10 06:50 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Shadow Dragon Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
Ridiculous. Saying that someone should die is not a threat, it is an opinion. I say that certain people should die all the time. Hell, I'll do it right now: Pat Robertson should die. That is just an opinion. If I were to say something along the lines of "I am going to kill Pat Robertson" - that would be a threat.

True, but showing up at Pat Robertson's house, holding up signs that say somethign along those lines, takes it a bit farther than just saying that he should die. If you've been seen around the person's residence and then put out a video saying he must die, it's not hard to authorities to put the two acts together.

#36440 - 03/14/10 07:06 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: Shadow Dragon]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

But where is the crime in thinking someone should die? It is perfectly legal to protest, even outside a private residence (if you are on public property).

#36443 - 03/14/10 08:04 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: ta2zz]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I take my statement back: Everyone DOES have freedom of speech. I can say anything I want to anyone at any time. However, I monitor what I say because I know that words have consequences. As for the subject of this post, I think he went beyond merely stating an opinion, but I respect the fact that there can be a fine line between opinions and threats.

#36480 - 03/15/10 04:04 PM Re: Ga. man who posted 'Elton John must die' arrested [Re: William Wright]
Adversary Offline
pledge

Yah, i'm with 666 on this. I don't think the man did anything 'wrong' per say, he's just an idiot. There are people I think should die and my saying it here doesnt make me any more likely to carry it out...but whatever.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.