Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#36242 - 03/12/10 03:32 AM Phobias
Wake Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
Hey guys,

The topic I'd like to start conserns phobias.

Sure, we all generally have common phobias such as fear of heights, fear of open water, fear of death (well...) etc. but I'm interested in the phobias that you or someone you know have developed over time or from a single traumatizing experience.

My number one phobia can be loosely categorized under 'Arachnaphobia'.
When I was about 10 (a long story shortened) I was at school searching through my bag. Apparently a rather large huntsman had been spotted crawling inside of it. I found no such spider, but just to be sure I checked my tennis racket case as well. Just as I unzipped the case out jumps the hairy bastard on to my bare arm.
Since then (and that was damn near a decade ago) I have been terrified of them.
I don't lay awake in bed at night thinking they're coming to get me, but when I do see one I freeze up. I feel sick deep in my guts and sometimes start shaking involuntarily. The irony of it all is that back before the event happened I was an apsiring Arachnologist!

Funny how life works out eh?

#36253 - 03/12/10 09:06 AM Re: Phobias [Re: Wake]
Psychotic Offline
stranger

Loc: New York
i forget exactly what its called but i have a fear of spiders. not one specfic kind though just all of them. its been that way since i was little.

#36256 - 03/12/10 11:32 AM Re: Phobias [Re: Psychotic]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Arachnophobia. I have a fear of spiders as well, however I've learned to overcome a good deal of it since I was a kid. I still prefer snakes to spiders, but realizing how beneficial having the non-toxic spiders around the house can be (note: not IN the house!), has helped me overcome my 'prejudice' against them.

#36278 - 03/12/10 08:02 PM Re: Phobias [Re: Nemesis]
Wake Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
Indeed. The irony that continues to haunt me is that I still think spiders are remarkable animals. Their anatomy and behaviors make them somewhat 'beautiful'.

But I guess something I didn't really mention is that I don't have Arachnaphobia. The huntsman is the only spider I fear. I'd let just about any other spider crawl on my face, but get me within 20 metres of a huntsman, and I am out the door and down the street before you can say a syllable.

#36280 - 03/12/10 08:33 PM Re: Phobias [Re: Wake]
exadust Offline
pledge

Loc: georgia
Spiders don't bother me that much! There was one time I was sleeping and I felt one crawl on my face I immediately jumped out of bed and turned the light on. I didn't find it but it did startle me! My main fear is extreme heights like I'll never get on an airplane!!!!

#36281 - 03/12/10 08:39 PM Re: Phobias [Re: Wake]
Vlad Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia
I have taphophobia, which is the fear of being buried alive. The thought of it absolutely terrifies me. It probably stems from a kind of claustrophobia, being stuck inside a coffin, with ultimately no way to get out. It is why I wish to be cremated when I die, in order to bypass the whole scenario.

It should be noted that the fear of dying or being mistaken the for dead isn't the issue, it is the enclosed space, being underground, feeling trapped and helpless. That is the part that scares me greatly.

Edited by Vlad (03/12/10 08:40 PM)

#36512 - 03/16/10 04:37 AM Re: Phobias [Re: Vlad]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Every one of you can fuck off and die if you think I'm going to share my weaknesses with you.

Phobias and fears are weaknesses. I admit that I have my own, but fuck you in the knee if you think I'm going to publicize them. I'm sort of surprised that this thread made it past the initial post.

Unless you are actively making an attempt to get over or around your particular fear, I don't even understand the reason to bring it up in the first place...

#36515 - 03/16/10 04:58 AM Re: Phobias [Re: ceruleansteel]
Noctuary Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
Every one of you can fuck off and die if you think I'm going to share my weaknesses with you.

Phobias and fears are weaknesses. I admit that I have my own, but fuck you in the knee if you think I'm going to publicize them. I'm sort of surprised that this thread made it past the initial post.

Unless you are actively making an attempt to get over or around your particular fear, I don't even understand the reason to bring it up in the first place...

I think I see your fear right there. ;\)

#36517 - 03/16/10 05:29 AM Re: Phobias [Re: ceruleansteel]
exadust Offline
pledge

This of course is in no way disrespectful but you say you won't publicize your any weakness but you have by your response.

Admitting to something is not the only way a person can be read. The way you phrase something can give more info to someone then just not saying anything at all.

But at the same time no reaction also says something.

#36534 - 03/16/10 10:09 AM Re: Phobias [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
...and that right there is why Maw made green...
#36611 - 03/16/10 09:13 PM Re: Phobias [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Noctuary Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
I can see how both you and Noctuary could have interpreted Ceruleansteel's response as being overly harsh. However, if I have understood you both correctly, you seem to claim that her response is dictated by some sort of fear. Fear of being seen through?

My take on her response? She thinks it foolish that anyone would expect another person to hand their fears over on a plate. She words herself harshly because she has little patience for foolish requests.

We share ourselves with those we feel comfortable around. If she doesn't know you, she won't share her fears with you. Much less so considering that anyone can enter this site and read what you've written.

Please, don't read weakness into an individual's prerogative to keep aspects of her life private.

I don't think her not wanting to share her fear is weak at all. I think she just sounded crazy.

#36640 - 03/17/10 12:33 PM Re: Phobias [Re: exadust]
Tranceparent Sky Offline
stranger

A phobia is an irrational fear of a particular object that normally doesn't illicit fear. It's not the same as fear itself. Many individuals develop phobias through a negative encounter or situation, which conditions them to avoid/fear the object. Thus, a phobia is formed.

Originally Posted By: exadust
Spiders don't bother me that much! There was one time I was sleeping and I felt one crawl on my face I immediately jumped out of bed and turned the light on. I didn't find it but it did startle me! My main fear is extreme heights like I'll never get on an airplane!!!!
How do you know that was a spider? Maybe he was as scared as you?

I highly doubt that admitting your fear of spiders and creepy-crawlies is going to give anybody you meet on the internet an advantage over you. However, I agree that it is stupid to just list every self-diagnosed phobia you think you have. I think we should stay productive and discuss the psychological aspects, and not swap stories about you pissing your pants during Charlotte's Web.

#36665 - 03/17/10 08:52 PM Re: Phobias [Re: Tranceparent Sky]
Noctuary Offline
pledge

I had an irrational fear of needles. I guess a bad experience at the dentist as a kid set it in motion. I mean.. I had never given blood as a kid. So I didn't have to deal with that fear for a very long time. So finally I decided to face my fear and get a tattoo. After that I started getting sleeved up. After that I started to have to give blood (I have to 4 times a year because of Diabetic check ups) I no longer fear needles. It's just in my nature to find out my fears and face them. I sort of get a thrill off of it now.

#36666 - 03/17/10 09:02 PM Re: Phobias [Re: Tranceparent Sky]
exadust Offline
pledge

Another aspect of fear is that in some ways it can be beneficial.

When adreneline is released in response it helps in certain situations.

Maybe not all situations but some.

Edited by exadust (03/17/10 09:03 PM)

#36674 - 03/17/10 10:06 PM Re: Phobias [Re: exadust]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I used to fear spiders quite badly. That is until I handled a Chilean Rose Tarantula (The photo of said Tarantula is in the photo gallery).

Since then, I realised what freaks me out about spiders; the erratic movement of their legs when they scarper. Tarantulas from what I've seen are a fair bit slower (Gladyss crawled up my arm quite slowly and gently, so I was quite calm about her demeanour...), so I can deal with Tarantulas better than, say, the common house spider or the garden spider.

I've been able to handle tiny spiders without fear for many many years. House spiders and the like get the glass and card treatment (To capture and then set free, not to kill).

I'm somewhat scared of needles, but I can deal with the medical ones, providing I don't see them pierce my skin. Watching my tattoo being done was fascinating.

Any other fears (Of which I won't list here, due to following Ceruleansteel's wise example...) I'll have to conquer at a later date.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.