Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#36618 - 03/17/10 02:42 AM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: William Wright]
Doomsage680 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I find that reexamining past decisions is helpful to understand why I made a bad decision and what was going on inside my head that lead me through certain lines of thinking. i try to look at bad decisions that didn't turn out badly as well as ones that did. That way at least I won't make the same mistake and have to suffer for it. Ignoring the past and being overconfident will not help me move forward, but rather make me repeat mistakes and get nowhere.

#37447 - 04/08/10 01:55 AM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: exadust]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I'm approximately three replies into this thread and can see already that it's a bullshit thread.

Not everything in a person's live is within their control.

I have one regret - and it's because I hurt someone whom I respected above all others, someone who molded the best part of me - aside from that doesn't matter.

all that aside: you only control a portion of your life. the rest of it you have to learn how to handle. Only an idiot believes that he has mastered the world and has nothing left to learn.

#37448 - 04/08/10 02:31 AM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: ceruleansteel]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I guess I don't know at what point in between "Should have remembered my keys" and "Should have had an abortion" where something is not just an afterthought but a REGRET(dun dun Duuuuuh! *dramatic lighting strike*)

I don't regret any of my major life choices. I've done a lot of things I'm sure people think I should regret or think I'm denial about but I've made damn good decisions.

As a teenager I dropped out of highschool and got a GED instead and regardless of what everyone else seems to think that was a very good decision and I would encourage ANY teenager in the US education system to do the same. BUT I don't pretend I'm some wise man to teach you the ways of life.

I gave up a steady job and cheap place to live to be with a woman I know I'll be with for the rest of my life and I certainly don't regret that. BUT I'm not a hopeless romantic or a believer in disney love. I just know that we're two intelligent people that fill eachother's lives and we have no will to be apart.

I said the cold honest truth to a weak man with a small chain and had my front teeth broken out. If I could turn back time I wouldn't change a thing about that night. BUT I don't pretend like I'm some hard badass who doesn't care about pain. If anything I'm a MAAAAJOR pussy when it comes to that kind of thing. I'm a guy who said what needed to be said and took the consequences for it.

But to say I have no regrets? Hell I regret ordering the mcdouble instead of the mchicken sometimes. I regret getting fast food at all when I'm a bit strapped for cash. I've not reached the end of some kind of spiritual journey or such nonsense. I'm a guy in a decent position with the same gripes and worries as anybody else in this situation. Still learning as much as I care to to be happy and get by.

#37472 - 04/09/10 05:03 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: TV is God]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
My major regret in life is not fucking an 18 year old German girl called Gill. I havenít a clue how that one slipped my bye, but it HAUNTS me...

A tad carnalistic and maybe a bit childish, but none the less it makes me wince when I think of it.

#37477 - 04/09/10 07:22 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Room 101]
Fabiano Offline

Originally Posted By: Wake
Every action you carry out results in an outcome. Whether you are pleased with the outcome or not you'll have been made wiser from the experience. Feeling regret indicates that you have gained knowledge. Regret comes from realization.
Therefore, I don't see regret (necessarily) as a bad thing.

This is roughly the opposite of my point of view! \:D

Regret does not come from realization, it's rather the opposite: realization is the cure to regret.

Regret is associated with guilty. I do think this is caused by RHP views.

I come back to the initial post:
 Quote:
I like to see how people view their lives! It's interesting to listen to some people's excuses and how they justify their actions in certain situations. For me my only regret is trying to be acceptable to my family,

25 years ago I started fucking my life with drugs probably because I surrendered to values which weren't mines but those of my family. After 3 years of madness, addicted to hero, I had the courage to stop it, to expose the hard reality which was mine to my family. And what did I get for this act of courage? Punishment! My mother made me feel guilty showing how bad I was to have hurt her. In big troubles and seeking for a sense to give to my life I read the bible (the white one) and it "touched" me. I went in repentance and probably felt regret as few experienced it. I was feeling miserable and I didn't know how I could be forgiven.
I do not regret this because it gave me some strength to move forward and even if it wasn't in the right direction, I started to act rather than to undergo.
I finally stepped out of Christianity because I realized it wasn't making me happy, I just didn't felt alive!

I started to rationally trying to understand what happened to me. It took me some time for realizing that I had to choose between living by my own values or living by those of my family for being acceptable. I came to the conclusion that I selfishly wanted to live. I decided to live by my values. I now clearly understand what happened to me and I'm very proud of me.
As a reward I now feel really alive as I never been before.

I expelled guilty, regret and other RHP schemes of thoughts out of my mind cultivating courage, pride, ambition, selfishness and self-commitment. I experience how good I can be in day to day battles of my life when I just think coldly.
I enjoy the fruits of my victories; it's my well merited reward.

#37761 - 04/17/10 10:07 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Fabiano]
Mardi Gras Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
though not necessary in my opinion, I do consider regret to be a building block in life. on many occasions where I regretted something it taught me how to do things differently when and if those certain situations ended up doing a repeat. for instance, I grew up in a very rough place, through regret I learned how to defend myself, both mentally and physically. not speaking for anyone else but myself, but through regret learned about my own self-preservation. what I regret is not having taught myself about self-preservation at an earlier age. I could've used the knowledge I have now years ago, and if I did I wouldn't have lost certain people in my life I wish were still here.

#37762 - 04/17/10 10:41 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Mardi Gras]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I remember years ago when I was just a young lad of 18 I had my first job.

Like a fool I went to the pub across the road from work with my colleagues and proceeded to drink shots of tequila with only minimum alcohol experience.

After my third shot I thought Uh oh, I'm going to be sick and ignoring the toilet raced for the exit door.

I made it to the door and on my knees threw up on the shoes of an incoming person. When I looked up I found that I had just puked tequila all over my manager's shoes and he wasn't pleased!

I blame the tequila, I mean its crappy stuff really...

#37765 - 04/18/10 12:24 AM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: ]
Doomsage680 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
HAHA that sucks MJ1
you didn't mention that he fired you, so at least he was partially understanding. If Room 101's comment wasn't sarcastic, it does remind me of times when I probably could have had a lot more fun but didn't. Alas, those times have past, and have only taught me to be more social in the future. Everybody learns sometime.

I do remember my first time drinking more than a shot of tequila, it was with a bunch of friends. I saw my buddy, a more experienced gentlemen of mexican descent, grab the bottle of silver tequila and swig it. Me, in pretending to be threatened by him being more "mexican" than me, decided to show I could do the same thing. I grabbed the bottle and took not one, not two, but Yes, THREE gulps of tequila at once. After one I knew I should stop, at two I knew I'd probably be ok, after three I immediately put it down and turned to the sink behind me. Good thing, cuz I was the first freshman to puke at the party. What a silly idiot. I learned. Don't mess with tequila, tequila won't mess with you.
It was still a great party and everyone was understanding, though I definitely deserved the laughs from the ladies I was trying to impress. Learning is best done in an understanding environment, at least in this case. No more stupid alcohol bs from me.

"Blame it on the Ah AH AH AH A Alcohol!"

"I love College!"

#37980 - 04/21/10 09:27 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Mardi Gras]
Vik Offline
stranger

I agree with Mardi, regret s a block that fucks with ur head and whats ahead of u. I think one makes decisions and what no matter what happends one must contineu, no looking back.... i have no regrets for the contrary I am glad i am what i am, i feel complete now \:\) alive! and i wish for everyone here to feel the same! love ya brothers and sisters! shemhamforash!

Edited by Vik (04/21/10 09:33 PM)

#38155 - 04/28/10 03:06 AM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Caliga Offline
stranger

I have many regrets. Most of my regrets are ultimately due to my own lack of perception in earlier life. I can somewhat excuse this as I was "hoodwinked" from an early age but it doesn't stop me from kicking myself at times. Basically, I haven't lived my life so far as fully as I would have liked. At least that is changing.
#38161 - 04/28/10 07:52 AM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Caliga]
Eumendies Offline
stranger

Loc: Israel
I have one regret: I should have started earlier, maybe i would have reached higher level by now. Yes, this is dangerous but it gives you power and control over yourself.

#38164 - 04/28/10 12:35 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Eumendies]
TheInsane Offline

I do have regrets but the only major regret is related to a particular situation because it has continued to haunt me years after it went down. It has indeed had a bad effect on my life and it was a major thing for me.

Before this happened I was always thinking that I am happy with myself now and all things in my past made me who I am. Therefore I dont regret anything. Sadly I cant say the same at this moment. I am coming along and things are getting better. I am way better than I was 2 years ago. Maybe one day I can say that these years I am currently living through was worth it. At the moment I think I would have rather done things differently though.

It was all about how I choose to value things not realizing what I would loose making the descision I did.

#38165 - 04/28/10 02:42 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: TheInsane]
Demon Heretic666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Missouri
I thought about this one for a moment before developing a response to share.

I do. Indeed, there are many things I regret, but they are mainly lost oppurtunities. When it comes to my actions, truly, I regret nothing for they have molded me into the interesting person I am today. I will always regret however, the things in life I have missed out on.

Best suggestion form me is that even if you do have regrets, dont dwell on them. They are the past, so leave them as such.

Have a great day. \:\)

#38166 - 04/28/10 03:50 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Demon Heretic666]
TheInsane Offline

Originally Posted By: Demon Heretic666

Best suggestion form me is that even if you do have regrets, dont dwell on them. They are the past, so leave them as such.

Yes, don't dwell on it is the best advice. I know that all to well. And also use the regret as a fuel to the fire to get another chance or work yourself to a position you were in before so that if you really want something you may be able to achieve it even though it might have failed the first time around. And learn from your mistakes.

#38167 - 04/28/10 04:14 PM Re: I want to know if anyone has any regrets? [Re: Demon Heretic666]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
I've been thinking about this one, and indeed I have many regrets. There are plenty of times when I found myself to not be as strong as I needed to be. Many times I should have enjoyed myself and simply didn't. I have not been nor am I today the man I wish to be, and I regret every action I make that proves that I am not.

I hold onto that regret too. I believe it makes me stronger. By not letting go of those things I force myself to not repeat these mistakes and each day I see myself become a better man. Regret is only a hindrance when one becomes obsessed with the desire to change the past, which is not possible. When the mind is focused on an impossible task, the individual becomes inactive. The more obsessed on the impossible one is, the more inactive they become. A being that does nothing might as well be nothing.

I'm simply not insane enough to obsess over impossible things, so I don't have to worry about that.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.