Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#36422 - 03/14/10 03:10 PM 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade
Vlad Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia
I just finished reading this book last night, and I really do not know what to make of it, short of "This is a piece of work whose importance cannot be understated".

First and foremost, I believe I should comment on the content, which for it's time, had to have been the most depraved and psychotic thing put forth. It still is shocking in the modern age, and I now understand why sadism took its name from de Sade.

That said, I believe on some deeper level, the book is much more important. Here, de Sade manages to create a place where the morality of man is completely irrelevant, a place where power and dominance are glorified and are the order of the day. The portrayal is chilling, but perhaps this is because it so starkly contrasts with our current egalitarian world.

All in all, I would recommend this to a select few, people I think would be able to look past the imagery in order to appreciate the truly beautiful deeper philosophical concepts behind it. With this in mind, it is highly recommended to Satanists.

#36429 - 03/14/10 05:28 PM Re: 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade [Re: Vlad]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I thought it was fantastic, and the scenarios put forth certainly added fuel to my already perverted imagination. While I'm not really into the Scheisse fetish, I got a laugh out of the way the Marquis used it in his various novels, especially in '120 Days'. He pulled out all the stops in his mission to offend (or titillate!) the reader, hehe.

#36430 - 03/14/10 05:39 PM Re: 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade [Re: Nemesis]
Vlad Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia
I suppose I was so shocked by it simply because I wasn't particularly expecting something like that to come out of the 18th century. I have always had a taste for the dark, macabre, and grotesque, but I really had no clue just how outlandish this book could get. I was expecting rather tame descriptions of much milder events. Woe is me for that one.

A few of the scenarios, I found absolutely hilarious. The ridiculous scenarios involving coprophagia come to mind here. I don't really know how far I can go in this thread, but if you wanted to discuss specific ones, but I'd be more than willing to talk about my favorites in a private message.

I really did enjoy it though. No matter how much I thought "This is fucking sick", I simply couldn't put it down. I read it all in two days. A page turner to say the least.

Edited by Vlad (03/14/10 05:40 PM)

#36448 - 03/14/10 10:09 PM Re: 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade [Re: Vlad]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I only wish that DeSade could have finished it as he intended.

Until he comes back from the grave to finish his Opus Magnum, his best work in my opinion is Justine, which is amazing for both its outrageous and perverted shock value, and its intellectual sharpness. Marquis De Sade is at once the Plato and DaVinci of blasphemy.

#36740 - 03/19/10 03:49 AM Re: 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade [Re: Vlad]
Simon Jester Offline
stranger

Sade has been an enormous influence from a young age. However, I much preferred Justine and Juliette (my love!) to the 120 Days.

You might also enjoy The Torture Garden by Octave Mirbeau; The Story of O, and its sequel, by Pauline Reage; Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille; Les Diaboliques by Barbey D'Aurevilly; Venus in Furs by Sacher Masoch; The Eleven Thousand Rods and Memoirs of a Young Don Juan by Guillame Appollinaire (both of which can be found with Irene's Cunt by Louis Aragon in a collection titled Flesh Unlimited, compiled by Alexis Lykiard, who also translated Maldoror, written by the Comte de Lautreamont).

Have fun. ;\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.