Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3662 - 01/23/08 01:47 PM Forums are like falling in a cesspool
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I recently joined a gaming forum and my first two topics in the general chat topic have had about 10 replies. Not bad considering I've been a member only a couple of hours. However the replies have been nothing but spelling corrections, people calling arbitrary things and eachother gay (because gay means [insert word not in my vocabulary] to the average moron), and insulting me...

Is this the same with all forums but this one or am I missing out on all the decent forums

#3664 - 01/23/08 07:18 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
Succubus666 Offline

The thing you have to accept about the internet and most open internet forums is that they rarely attract devoted people beyond the realm of the bored, the socially disabled, or the just plain mindless... With this I am referring to forums that are not monitored by people willing to take the time to remove mindless and incoherent ramblings and actually maintain a space to devoted to intelligent dialogue.

The internet provides complete anonymity for those who seek it. Chances are a lot of the comments posted with incorrect grammar and immature insults are either coming from 12 year-olds pretending to be 20, or frustrated people lost in the day to day rat race just looking for a place to vent. People tend to say things when they’re hiding behind a veil that they would never actually say to your face. It gives them some false sense of superiority which I’ll never understand.

The simplest advice would be not to surround yourself with people who have nothing positive to contribute to your life experience. Even if you can’t always be guaranteed of that in an online environment, you can at least confine your wanderings to places where there is some safeguard in place against the lesser members of civilized society. Sometimes the dialogue within your own mind can offer much more than another person can... Consider picking up a good book within the realm of a subject you would enjoy learning about instead of wasting time conversing with people you will likely never meet and who could care less about your personal development.

#3667 - 01/23/08 09:23 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: Succubus666]
Sven Offline
stranger

It does seen that alot of online forums are just a chance to yell and insult others inorder to build a flase ego of their "intelluctal levels." You would have to do the research before you can assume there could be any levels of intellagence conversation.

Sadly stupidity and a need for flase egos go hand and hand. When the internet is involved it gives way to even more idiots to "be themselfs" and show their true colors because if they are negatively sanctioned for it then big deal right, just some loser with to much time on their hands.

#3669 - 01/23/08 10:25 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: Sven]
TornadoCreator Offline

I've run my own forum a few times... they always last between 6 months and 1 year before they subsequently collapse though either excessive spam or grind down to 1 or 2 posts at most per day. I'm quite a strict yet lax moderator on my forums. I would happily allow someone to write an intelligent post on why he believes the KKK are correct, even though I know he's wrong. I would even allow someone to say "I hate black people because they are black. I am a racist and don't need a reason, it's blind unreasoning hate, that's me live with it!", In fact. I did. I believe free speach is vital, and it means not just the right for me to say what I want, but the right for others to as well. I didn't however allow spam, that I was very strict on. Out right moronic posts like "Your avatar is gay" where deleted as well, obviously.

I think this forum is the first I've seen ever with my mentality in mind. You can say anything you won't so long as it doesn't make my IQ drop 10 points just by reading it we don't care. Just prepare for criticism. It's why I like it here... I remember this next time I wander off to another forum for an hour.

#3676 - 01/24/08 01:25 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
You make an excellent point. There are so many sites that have ego problems and the few that run them get a sense of power over others.. This site has been the best I've been on and that allows people to free speech. The people on this site seem to be quite intelligent and are very helpful to one another... There not on here just to bash what others believe in or how they live there lives and I respect that. I joined this site because it felt right to me.. I have enjoyed this site in the short time that I've been here and feel like It's a site well worth being a member too...
#3679 - 01/24/08 04:52 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: Succubus666]
Varick S. Offline
lurker

Very well put.
#3683 - 01/24/08 05:54 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: Sven]
Succubus666 Offline

Your poor grammar and amusing array of misspelled words speak volumes unto themselves and merely serve to reinforce my original observations. Consider it a kind suggestion and not an insult to utilize spell checking features or even the dictionary. In my “research” of online forums of communication an observation has presented itself to me which would suggest that those who are actually looking to engage in intelligent dialogue respond best to dialogue which initially presents itself in an intelligent manner. Some examples may include words that are spelled correctly, paragraphs which on average contain more than two sentences, the appearance of comments actually being thought out before being dictated and posted, and lack of distraction from the originally intended concept resulting from previously mentioned errors.
#3684 - 01/24/08 07:20 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
Here's an interesting forum for those inclined. It evolved from a group consisting of students of Christopher S. Hyatt. Expect some challenging interaction.

http://www.luciferiansociety.com

#3687 - 01/24/08 11:00 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: Soluna666]
TornadoCreator Offline

I've since been banned from that forum for saying that I feel suicidal people have taken thier lives into there own hands and we should feel no regret for them, they got what they wanted and I think the world is better without them. Granted this is a very specific and possible radical opinion but it's still only an opinion. How was I to know one of the members of the forum had his dad commit suicide last week... weak peice of shit.

Either way, I join every forum expecting to get banned within 24 hours. If they don't ban me I know they respect free speach and I commend them. Unfortuntely this is the only one to do so thus far. Pity really.

#3849 - 02/05/08 08:53 AM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
TwistydMorticia Offline
stranger

Loc: England, United Kingdom
It is a pity but it is a sad fact of life. There have only been a handful of forums in which I have not come across any idiots who cannot refrain from making stupid comments, I do not mind if they are humourous, I like a laugh but some are just not funny at all.

I am only in them because my children are in them, one of my son's is autistic and so he gets called a lot, people think he is ignorant and "weird", which is ironic as he has an IQ higher than the lot of them put together. I go in and stick up for him (naturally) and mail the manager. But yes he gets the "Your ******* is gay" comments, which happens more in the gaming forums than in the social networking groups.

Personally I just go wherever I want to go and ignore those who are rude. That is what the block user button is for.

#3854 - 02/05/08 12:55 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TwistydMorticia]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I wouldn't say that all forums are bad to be honest. I've been a member of the Fear Factory forums for a number of years now, and I've found that most of the people on that forum (practically all of them....) are nice people. Yeah, some of the fun is pretty stupid and puerile, but it's never intended to hurt people. That is, unless newcomers start spamming or trolling the forums. The Filefront forums aren't so bad, but they can be over sensitive sadly.

But I will agree, there are some fucking horrible forums out there on the net.

#5242 - 03/10/08 11:34 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
TheMask Offline

Ive had problems with forums as well. 2 wrestling forums that i used to hang out on. I found the amount of idiots too great on both of them.
On the first one i got myself banned in a childish but very amusing way tricking about 200 of the forums members (alot of them children too) into watching a pic of a full-fledged GOATSE.

The second one i just found myself in a lot of arguments alot of times and the other members simply being idiots.
One person on there glorified for his awesome debating skills refused to take my information about Laveyan Satanism and Devil worshipping as "real" simply because i used one part from wikipedia about Laveyan Satanism that i wasnt completely sure about. I was trying to inform him about what Satanism is after he made an idiotic statement saying "I hate those satanists that go around and say that they dont believe in god but in satan".
This of course was in a religious debate, which were later not allowed on that forum.

I dont think i will have a problem debating about religion on here tho. \:\)

Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
I've since been banned from that forum for saying that I feel suicidal people have taken thier lives into there own hands and we should feel no regret for them, they got what they wanted and I think the world is better without them. Granted this is a very specific and possible radical opinion but it's still only an opinion. How was I to know one of the members of the forum had his dad commit suicide last week... weak peice of shit.

I found that somewhat funny. XDD

#5273 - 03/11/08 05:57 AM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
The thing with the Internet is it provides a place for the most devoid of morons to rant and rave and boost their alter-ego (otherwise known as an 'e-persona') and to be someone they lack the abilities to be in the real world. It's a cover to hide their insecurities; their vulnerabilities and their lack of understanding about how to be truly parallel with the rest of the world.

I come on the Internet with the expectations of "expect the unexpected" such as I do within the unearthed walls of reality. You honestly can't have any high expectations of people on the Internet -- because you will be setting yourself up for some serious disappointment.

#5933 - 03/19/08 04:11 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: TornadoCreator]
VI-Chao Offline
lurker

Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator

Either way, I join every forum expecting to get banned within 24 hours. If they don't ban me I know they respect free speach and I commend them. Unfortuntely this is the only one to do so thus far. Pity really.

No disrespect intended at this point, but I believe you have my http://www.LuciferianSociety.com forum mixed up with another for the following reasons:

1. We have never banned any user from the UK to date that we didn't have a long term relationship with.
2. A search of the term "suicidal" only yields three post results, all of which appear to be song lyrics.
3. As long as you didn't show direct contempt to one of the admins, we allow virtually any discussion except those censored in the lower levels (spiderable) for legal reasons.
4. As the person who does the banning, I personally recall no such thread.

Now, Soluna666 has been life banned by a vote of 23:0 (our highest echelon beneath moderator status is generally polled in these instances) for an unprovoked ad hominum attack on a moderator.

Our standpoint on your position would be that as primates, we would selfishly mourn anyone close who left us for any reason, but the fact they committed suicide is irrelevant. Being atheistic in nature, we certainly have no moral issue with those who wish to take their own lives. Fuck 'em.

People who are not on track to get what they want in life (or death) mean very little to us, really.

As for our standpoint on "regret" in general, regret is an ideoform that ties us to the past - why would we encourage such a limiting model EXCEPT as a temporary motivating factor to initiate some form of evolutionary growth? However that doesn't seem to apply to your comment as stated.

VI-Chao

#6030 - 03/20/08 08:14 PM Re: Forums are like falling in a cesspool [Re: VI-Chao]
Pan420 Offline
pledge

Loc: New Mexico
I believe its human nature to egotistic, and when you are on the net you can be whoever you want to be. And what I found is that it is in our nature to be repolsive and vulgar when there is no consequences to be had. That is why people sit on forums and chat rooms bitching about non sense things when those non sense ramblings mean nothing to them. They just post to have a word, to feel important, to belong. It's a good thing that most people on here are civil and educated beyond the degree of grammer school.

"Use your fist and not your mouth",
Marilyn Manson

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.