Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#36894 - 03/22/10 12:31 PM Blasphemy Law in Ireland To Be Removed...For Now.
Adversary Offline
pledge

Quote:
the Guardian wrote:
Ireland is to hold a referendum on removing a blasphemy ban from the constitution, the justice minister announced yesterday.

At the beginning of the year, the republic introduced legislation making blasphemy a crime punishable with a fine of up to €25,000 (£22,800).

The law defines blasphemy as "publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted". The referendum will be held this autumn.

Two steps back, one step forward? Funny how with such a big deal blasphemy is and all everyone just stands back and waits for their god to do justice. If it's not a big enough deal for him to do anything about it maybe they should chill too, but they wont, they wont because blasphemy is the first step in exposing their bull-shit for what it is, not to mention what has been going on up till now with the church.

#36898 - 03/22/10 01:17 PM Re: Blasphemy Law in Ireland To Be Removed...For Now. [Re: Adversary]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I wonder how far the blasphemy laws would have been applied should their target have not been one of the Christian churches? I can't see them being applied with any fervour to assertions that Wiccans abuse children. (Mind you, that would be a pot/kettle situation).
Seriously, though, doesn't Jesus exhort people to be glad when their faith is mocked so they can share in his suffering? Doesn't it prove that they are right and not like the heathen herd? If that's the case, surely the Irish Parliament should be welcoming blasphemy as it will shore up their image of martyred leadership?

#36907 - 03/22/10 05:47 PM Re: Blasphemy Law in Ireland To Be Removed...For Now. [Re: felixgarnet]
Adversary Offline
pledge

Yes, it's funny, when they are offended it is persecution, but other people DYING is gods plan. You can see how far blasphemy towards Abrahamic faith can be punished by looking at the middle-east. Muslims are pushing it on the UN as we speak. Just the existence of an unbeliever is enough for beheading, you don't need to say ANYTHING. If they had their way, we would still be hunting 'witches.'
#37485 - 04/09/10 10:22 PM Re: Blasphemy Law in Ireland To Be Removed...For Now. [Re: Adversary]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
I'm from Ireland and can tell you the article in question is completely incorrect as far as there being a vote on removing it being held. As far as things go , the actual law only came in affect a few weeks ago and is not being imposed at all because of all the usual catholic child molesting shit...putting it in a really short and basic way. The law has existed since the formation of the republic and was always ignored, however because of a rise in Muslim extremism in the country the law was changed in such a way that would not allow extremists to exploit it. Of course the press took it up arse ways and just stuck with the "Blasphemy" part of the law, which was the old title for it.
Ireland at the moment is in the process of making all schools free from religious teaching( of course its being opposed in sneaky ways by the catholic church cause they love being involved with young kids).
Ireland is actually in the process of becoming a truly secular country.It won't happen over night and the country has gone through a fair amount of shit to get here , but glad fully its happening.
The blasphemy law act was jumped on by bot the press and opposing politicians to try and make the current government look archaic, however, the actual law its self has nothing to do with the way one might consider a blasphemy act. It actually makes it extremely hard for one to bring a court case about under the premise of religious bigotry or being offended by anothers beliefs.If one wants to pursue a legal case against some one for a breach of the act it would cost in the hundred thousands in legal fees, just to get an apology in public(newspaper) as where previously it could have ended with a prison sentence.

#37522 - 04/11/10 07:15 PM Re: Blasphemy Law in Ireland To Be Removed...For Now. [Re: Adversary]
Mindmaster Offline
pledge

Loc: Detroit, MI
It doesn't seem to me that this law is related to prohibiting religious speech, but rather to keep religious publications constructive. It would also be against these rules for the Christians to write trash about the Satanists as well... Something to think about...

It doesn't really seem that this law would prevent anyone from publishing anything, but rather would force them to keep the publication intelligent and informative. I think this would directly effect Fundamentalist Muslims more than anyone else as they have a habit of going for the throat.

If you read the Irish press though this rule is certainly not being enforced on matters of civil distress. They are certainly publishing every sex abuse scandal by Catholic priests that they run into. My family comes from Ireland, but even they refuse to have much to do with the Catholic church at this point. Irish people don't have much problem changing their ways when they realize they've been hoodwinked and I expect some drastic changes for the emerald isle in the future.

Edited by Mindmaster (04/11/10 07:36 PM)

#37683 - 04/16/10 05:23 PM Re: Blasphemy Law in Ireland To Be Removed...For Now. [Re: Adversary]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I understand the necessity of legal limits on speech. For instance, yelling fire in a crowded theater should be a crime (unless, of course, the theater really is on fire). But the problem with banning offensive speech is that “offensive” is a very subjective term. To me, a cartoon depicting Mohammed as a dog may be funny or, at worst, merely tasteless. To others, it may be seen as something far worse. Offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

My general rule regarding speech is that I may disagree with what you have to say, but I’ll fight for your right to say it.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.