Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3715 - 01/27/08 07:54 PM Some thought-provoking books
Meq Offline
Banned

Looking at my mini-library in front of me, here are some of the books I have found particularly stimulating:

For some interesting philosophy (whether you agree with these authors or not):
- John Gray (LSE) - 'Straw Dogs'
- Alain de Botton - 'The Consolations of Philosophy'
- Lou Marinoff - 'Plato, not Prozac!'
- Jostein Gaarder - 'Sophie's World' (also a PC game and movie version)
- Friedrich Nietzsche - 'On the Genealogy of Morals' and 'Beyond Good and Evil'
- David Hume - 'Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding' and 'Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion' (a little dry for some!)
- Ayn Rand - 'The Virtue of Selfishness'
- Daniel Quinn - 'Ishmael' and 'The Story of B'
- Anton LaVey - The Satanic Bible (what's this doing here??)

On the history of Christianity and 'heretical' thought:
- Elaine Pagels - 'The Gnostic Gospels' and 'Beyond Belief'
- Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy - 'The Jesus Mysteries' and 'Jesus and the (Lost) Goddess'

The 'Introducing' series by Icon Books has some interesting guides - I particularly like their introductions to Psychology, Philosophy, Eastern Philosophy, Nietzsche and Postmodernism.

I'd also recommend a decent self-help guide based on cognitive therapy, as this can be exceptionally helpful in thinking clearly. Try 'Mind over Mood' by Christine Padesky and Dennis Greenberger.

#3716 - 01/27/08 11:18 PM Re: Some thought-provoking books [Re: Meq]
Sven Offline
stranger

I didnt' know there was a Sophies World PC game. Have you played it to know if its any good?

#3723 - 01/28/08 07:56 PM Re: Some thought-provoking books [Re: Sven]
Meq Offline
Banned

Yes I have, it was released around 1996 though so may disagree with modern PCs (unless you use an emulator).

The Sophie's World game is based in a virtual universe, instead of a book. Kind of like the theme the Matrix films later took up.
It plays like a mix of philosophically-themed puzzles with a mini-encyclopedia of philosophy thrown in (based on the book's philosophy discussions).

Worth a look, if you can find it and get it running!

I've never seen the Sophie's World movie though - I'm not sure if there was a full English version, or just Norwegian with English subtitles. I'll report back on that one ;\)

#10943 - 08/23/08 02:24 PM Re: Some thought-provoking books [Re: Meq]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

the Satyricon's a good read, its got teachings for poets and its a good read.talks about the sociological structure of rome under the rule of nero.Kahlil Gibran also has some pretty good poetry talks of satan a little,just some good tihs.
#10946 - 08/23/08 02:58 PM Re: Some thought-provoking books [Re: napalm]
Seti 352 Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
Mequa, those are some great books- especially concerning heretical thought. Elaine Pagels is one of my favorites as well. I saw her at a conference, when she was promoting "Beyond Belief." Amazing woman and damn near encyclopedic knowledge. ;\)

-Seti

#10954 - 08/23/08 05:07 PM Re: Some thought-provoking books [Re: Seti 352]
harrison Offline
pledge

Loc: winnipeg Mb, canada
yeah she is a smart woman. i also saw her once when i was in the usa. she is smart.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.