Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#37882 - 04/19/10 06:41 PM special meaning of your signature?
Mardi Gras Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
after reading the thread "The meaning behind your username" I decided to start a thread on signatures. though most signatures tend to be obvious to others, some signatures might have a special meaning to the one who owns it.

Like mine, lyrics to an irish drinking song, holds special meaning to me because only someone from an irish slum can tell ya that there's a civil war going on in ireland that's been going on for hundreds of years (one of the longest running civil wars in global history).

whenever someone visits Ireland they go to Dublin. any tourist Ireland has can be found in Dublin, but rarely ever does foreigners ever go to the rough parts of ireland, places like Galway or Limerick.

next time you look at a world map see how it looks like the united kingdom is trying to swallow Ireland. It's something that is a reality for irish rebels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a03wBIPSFPM

care to share yours?

#37883 - 04/19/10 06:47 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Mardi Gras]
Meq Offline
Banned

My signature is abridged from near the end of Friedrich Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil", where Nietzsche is having a little 'chit-chat' with the Greek god Dionysus concerning human potential.
Although Nietzsche was an Atheist, he saw Dionysus as representative of human passion, creativity, power itself and the will to power.

The passage I quoted was put into the mouth of Dionysus, and describes the potential of humanity well.

Dionysus continued as follows, on a more sinister note:
"I like him: I often ponder how I might advance him and make him stronger, more evil and more profound... also more beautiful!"

#37884 - 04/19/10 06:54 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Meq]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I think mine speaks for itself \:\)

But read a few of my posts for further clarification.

#37886 - 04/19/10 07:20 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Shadow Dragon Offline
pledge

My signature is two of my favorite quotes. With the first one from Socrates, I agree with him completely. I generally believe that ignorance (particularly willful ignorance) is the cause of most of the world's problems. Unfortunetly, it's unlikely to go away anytime soon.

The second one is the famous quote from Descartes, "I think therefor I am," in it's orginal latin form.

#37889 - 04/19/10 07:48 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Shadow Dragon]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
"Nothing is so weak or unstable as a reputation for power which is not based on one's own forces."

The maxim comes originally from Tacitus' Annales, from which Niccolò Machiavelli lifted it for inclusion in Il Principe. An admirable sentiment, say I.

Z.

#37890 - 04/19/10 08:27 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Mardi Gras]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Mine changes periodically. Right now it is a quote from Orwell's "1984".

#37892 - 04/19/10 09:08 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Jake999 Offline

Just the way I live. Been that way since Vietnam.

#37934 - 04/20/10 01:30 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Mardi Gras]
Anne Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
My signature is one I found searching through a bunch of Anton LaVey quotes. I wanted a qoute that was both short and sorta just "says" it, like words of wisdom in a short version. This one is one of the few thats actually short and relevant in my opionion.

#37938 - 04/20/10 02:49 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Anne]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
My signature is, of course, from Dr LaVey. It's a play on the idea that transgender people are somehow "artificial" and less worthy of respect than "real" people and also a reference to my fascination with created companions such as waxworks, robots and automata. \:\)

#38055 - 04/24/10 01:11 AM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: felixgarnet]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
My signature is my own. It's about setting things right for myself, even if it just for today. Living MY life, even if it's just for today. Just a good reminder for myself.

#38057 - 04/24/10 01:25 AM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Nyte]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
My signature is a line from a song i wrote for my band. That line is a basic summary of the whole song. Its about what happens when the parents who push the children so much to be perfect that the child ends out breaking down and rebelling.

#39468 - 06/21/10 07:04 PM Re: special meaning of your signature? [Re: Severed Soul]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
You can't get any clearer than mine. Live your life. Go for what you want. Never bow down to anybody. Ever. We're all here on a big ball of dirt. There is no mystical being out there who cares about you or is going to treat you special. You have to do it yourself.

If you don't stand up for yourself, think highly of yourself, want the best for yourself, who will?

Only do the things that make you happy. Throw out all the bullshit that makes you miserable. Don't waste your time with it. And that includes people.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.