Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#4611 - 02/28/08 08:38 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Engel08]
silligum_diaboli Offline
stranger

Loc: redhill, surrey , UK
I think that physical fitness is an important thing not just for the satanist, we are carnal creatures afterall and survival of the fittests has and always will be there. I think its quite important for the satanist to have control without reliance on other people and physical strength can ensure this to an extent.

As for meditation a clear mind is a more consicous mind, we are but forver interpretting and studying the world around us and if meditation helps people understand then its a good thing, i personally find it difficult to meditate, too many thoughts in my head to silence lol

#4648 - 02/29/08 05:27 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: silligum_diaboli]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I used to find it hard to silence my thoughts as well. I silence them by half, then half again, then half again..... eventually you reach a point where you can let go of your thoughts and there is nothing there.

Meditation is effectively dead really. No movement, no brain activity, nothing. It's strange really that it has such positive effects on life.

#4669 - 03/01/08 02:17 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: TornadoCreator]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I learned detaching from various thoughts and allowing them to flow away. Ananda teaches Haung Sau. And of course there is the spiritually neutral Zazen.

#4670 - 03/01/08 02:20 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: silligum_diaboli]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
physical fitness as in yoga? Or just plain exercise? Indeed exercise is definitely good for body and mind.
Controlling and detaching from ones thoughts is rather difficult. And in meditation you must also detach from the action or mental willing of clearing the mind. Basically sweeping a basement full of monkeys then tossing the broom.

#4673 - 03/01/08 03:31 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Engel08]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
The concept "clear my mind" is the hardest thing to have leave your mind during meditation but it truly is "zen" as many people would call it when you do. The peace, it's hard to describe, to link it to an emotion seems wrong but I wanted to say soothing and comforting. I wonder if others get similar feelings from it.

#85677 - 03/12/14 12:28 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: drow666]
Ferox Offline
pledge

Loc: Adios!
When it’s time to “discover” or “reinvent” my inner self again in a perfectly relaxed manner, I retire to the john for my daily session of Hatha Toilet Seat Meditation. Completely emancipated I deliver myself from crept in stupidity and joyless naggings of jackass lunacy. Remember, there’s always a way out.
#85683 - 03/12/14 04:46 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: drow666]
CalvertBrown7 Offline

Loc: United States
Satanists views on such topics almost always vary depending on the person you ask.

Personally: I think physical fitness is good, it can improve the length (and sometimes the quality) of a persons life, thereby increasing the amount of happiness and pleasure you can fit into it. Of course, devoting your whole life to living a long time is pointless if it means you can't ever eat good foods and do other things you like to do, especially because living a long time is only a good thing until you start getting REALLY old and dis functional.

Meditation? Meditation is great if you enjoy it.....so I hear. Personally though, I find it VERY difficult to meditate, so I eventually gave up and stopped trying. I also didn't think it would be enjoyable anyway.

#85832 - 03/20/14 01:20 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Engel08]
Azerelus Offline
stranger

Loc: California, USA,
I meditate nearly daily. I do so to focus my mind on the days tasks. It is also a method for me to fully grasp problematic situations and find solutions. The added benefit is I have learned how to temper my passions with reasons, meaning I have learned to use my reasoning brain more than my emotional one.

As for physical fitness. I used to believe that I wasn't all that physically fit... however now that I'm fast approaching 50 my doctor informs me I have the cholesterol, blood pressure and general over all fitness of a man half my age.

Its not like I do anything special, I work outside as a landscaper, and I have my own veg garden and happen to like veg. I stay thin - boarding on too thin... LOL and healthy enough.

I do have a few habits, tobacco, alcohol, coffee, methamphetamine on occasion.... However in these things I apply moderation.... I use meth, I'm not a meth addict in a stereotypical way.

Its like eating ice cream - a couple three scoops now and then does no harm, eating gallons of that sugary ice everyday is going to catch up with you.

As I tell my friends, I might be going to hell, but I'm in no hurry to get there.

#86221 - 04/03/14 06:49 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Azerelus]
Roark Offline
stranger

Loc: Ireland
I've developed a daily meditation habit recently and I try to practice mindfulness as much as possible. I find it helps with focus, self-regulation, willpower and detaching from unhelpful thoughts.

Whether it's the meditation itself having a quantifiable effect on my brain, or it's just a placebo effect, is immaterial. It works and that's all I'm interested in.

#86243 - 04/03/14 05:41 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Engel08]
Rob Taylor Offline
stranger

Loc: England, London
 Quote:
I have to say, the best thing that can come out of martial arts is the discipline you learn. Years back (When I was in secondary school..), I was training in Tae Kwon Do. The problem was after I got attacked at school (Sadly, I wasn't fully prepared to use the skills I had learned, due to being very timid in the past), and I got picked on by the tutor in the end. Then I quit. I'm kinda regretting it now, as I could have gotten much further if I'd just stuck it out.

I took up Judo when I was 10, and gave it up because all my mates were doing Karate (was the year of the Karate Kid film). I went back when I was in my late 20's and only gave it up because of back problems. I also did a bit of boxing and dabbled with MMA, but Judo will always be my favorite.

Meditation is something I have done privately for a number of years, mainly to quieten down my mind and get rid of annoying songs that seem to circle around my head during the day. I also like to have quiet time on my own, so it serves me well. I will always come out of meditation with a grin on my face.

#87572 - 05/15/14 05:10 AM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Rob Taylor]
Necrophilvs Offline
pledge

Loc: Finland
Perhaps is a bit off-topic, but how do you feel about Yoga? I'm considering starting to practice Ashtanga Yoga. I've had problems with anxiety, mostly work-related, and I was told that Yoga could be helpful. I think that it might provide emotional focus, besides constituting mental and physical exercise in one strike. Has anyone tried it?

#87591 - 05/15/14 01:34 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: drow666]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Um, did you hear about the yogi who refused anesthetic during a root canal?
He wanted to transcend dental medication.

I've never been able to meditate worth a fig, because (a) I've got too many thoughts always rattling around in my head, and/or (b) something starts to itch. When I was younger, I could get into a full lotus, though I never quite understood why, because it wasn't comfortable. If I tried it today, I'd be ambulanced to a chiropractor.

That said, by all means go ahead and meditate. I gather it's supposed to calm you down, make you feel that You Are All One, United In Inner And Outer Space. Although I think you can get the same sensation riding the NYC subway at rush hour.

#87597 - 05/15/14 02:17 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Loc: El Mundo
"too many thoughts in my head" - same deal with me. Sure, I've tried to meditate in the same manner prescribed in Book 4 - it sounds great on paper but its nothing I've ever had the discipline to do on a regular basis. I've only been able to achieve any sort of notable result at the end of an exhausting day (and very few of my days are ever exhausting). I'm more interested in the hypnogagic state - that's where I get some incredibly wild results without even trying. Seems to me to be two methods to the same result (so far as I can infer anyway).

beyond that - well, if meditation tickles your fancy, go for it. its an activity like any other - may as well be asking about the "satanic" merits of playing chess.

#87601 - 05/15/14 02:32 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: antikarmatomic]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
As a transcendentalist, I'm proficient at meditation but it's not the sit and do nothing zen type. It's a moving meditation. It allows for a lot going on in your head, while serving a utilitarian purpose.

LINK, I'm using the Cthulhu Mythos as an aesthetic for this piece but it should give you the jist of it.

Excuse the typos too, that was a rough-end copy for an article published in Chaosphere Magazine. I need to fix it. Meh.

#87603 - 05/15/14 03:04 PM Re: how do satanist feel about meditation? [Re: SIN3]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: SIN3
I'm using the Cthulhu Mythos as an aesthetic for this piece but it should give you the jist of it.

But doesn't this mean that just about the time you get focused, you get sucked up by invisible tentacles, hideously torn apart, and your atomic structure inverted by Yog-sothoth while Azathoth's loathsome flute-players make blasphemous music in the background?

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.