Page 4 of 13 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#42391 - 08/25/10 12:57 AM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Duende Offline
pledge

Loc: USA
Here are my faves:

Iron Maiden
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Doors
Sun Ra Arkestra
KMFDM
Skinny Puppy
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
King Diamond
Bauhaus
Sisters of Mercy
Slayer
Anthrax
Dio
Morbid Angel
Death in June
Asmodeus X
Blood Axis
NON
Coil
Current 93
Bathory
Radio Werewolf
Miles Davis
Dead Can Dance
Enya
Tangerine Dream
Pantera

Edited by Duende (08/25/10 12:59 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot about Pantera!

#42403 - 08/25/10 07:54 AM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Mardi Gras]
Dedalus Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Finally, a fellow skinny fan! We seem to be few and far between at times. Nice taste, though enya looks kinda lonely there on that list :P

#42404 - 08/25/10 08:43 AM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Duende]
Autodidact Offline

I like that list. I'll add:

Megadeth
Astral Projection
early Metallica
Dune
Scorpions
Accept
Synaesthesia
Michael and Janet Jackson
Prong
Lacuna Coil
Chopin

#42458 - 08/25/10 04:47 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Dedalus]
Duende Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dedalus
Finally, a fellow skinny fan! We seem to be few and far between at times. Nice taste, though enya looks kinda lonely there on that list :P

_Too Dark Park_ & _Last Rights_ are two of my favorite albums of all time. They provided a dark and haunting sonic atmosphere for a special period in my life, when I first identified with the term Satanist.

#42466 - 08/25/10 05:58 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Mardi Gras]
Dedalus Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Fantastic albums. Theyre one of those bands that can evolve without betraying their original sound. I forgot my manners in my first post, didnt add any bands. One or two have been mentioned earlier.

Radiohead
The Pixies
Tool
Massive Attack
Portishead
DJ Shadow
L.A.P.D.
Jethro Tull
The Mars Volta
Deftones
Esbjorn Svenson Trio
King Crimson
Can
The Necks
Yawning Man
Steely Dan
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Floratone
Pink Floyd
Seasick Steve
Sigur Ros

#42518 - 08/27/10 12:20 AM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Autodidact]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Autodidact
I like that list. I'll add:

Megadeth
Astral Projection
early Metallica
Dune
Scorpions
Accept
Synaesthesia
Michael and Janet Jackson
Prong
Lacuna Coil
Chopin

You just made me take one hell of a Double Take! Michael and Janet Jackson? Never would have expected that at all.

#42529 - 08/27/10 03:50 AM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Nyte]
Morg Offline
stranger

Loc: Zürich, Switzerland
Slayer
Deicide
Mercyful Fate
Leonard Cohen (got tickets to see him in 2 weeks)
Cradle Of Filth
Murderdolls & pretty much all of Wednesday 13s career so far.
Iron Maiden
Unknown Hinson
Zombina & the skeletones
Visions Of Atlantis
Nightwish
Mushroomhead
NIИ
KMFDM
Enya
Clannad
Jean-Michel Jarre
Doors
Marilyn Manson (from Portrait of an american family through to Holy Wood)
Mortiis
Pro-Jekt
Dimmu Borgir

Seriously the list is quite large, my current musical collection is around 1500 albums varying from 1920s blues right through to modern death/thrash metal, everything from AC/DC to ZZtop one might say.

#42572 - 08/27/10 08:59 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Duende]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Duende

Ministry

Wait, like "Every day is Halloween" Ministry, or "Just One Fix" Ministry?

#42573 - 08/27/10 09:14 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Nyte]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Nyte

You just made me take one hell of a Double Take! Michael and Janet Jackson? Never would have expected that at all.

Why not? They make good music.

I also like Earth, Wind & Fire, Rick James, David Bowie, Robert Plant (including post-Zep), Van Morrison, America, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Grim Reaper, Dusty Springfield, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Abba, Al Green, Frank Sinatra, the Conan soundtrack (Basil Pouledoris), Rob Zombie, and lots of classical music (but I cannot identify them by tune yet).

But I never liked Aerosmith, and I'm totally burned on AC/DC - if I never hear Back In Black again, it'll be too soon.

And of course all country music just sucks. Except for maybe Hank Williams, Sr.

How many takes is that?

#42618 - 08/29/10 01:56 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Autodidact]
Nyte Offline

Why not? They make good music.

I also like Earth, Wind & Fire, Rick James, David Bowie, Robert Plant (including post-Zep), Van Morrison, America, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Grim Reaper, Dusty Springfield, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Abba, Al Green, Frank Sinatra, the Conan soundtrack (Basil Pouledoris), Rob Zombie, and lots of classical music (but I cannot identify them by tune yet).

But I never liked Aerosmith, and I'm totally burned on AC/DC - if I never hear Back In Black again, it'll be too soon.

And of course all country music just sucks. Except for maybe Hank Williams, Sr.

How many takes is that?

Ok...gotta go there....LMFAO!
Nah, none of those surprised me. I guess those two just wasn't something I was expecting. I know how you feel about AC/DC, and quite frankly, after my younger sister replayed Thriller at least 100 times a day when I was a teen, I feel the same way about Michael Jackson. Janet had a couple of decent teen songs, but beyond that, I couldn't really get into her music.

I have to tell you, I like David Bowie's music, especially some of the stuff he put out for the movie Labyrinth, his Little Drummer Boy (Peace on Earth) medley that he did with Bing Crosby, and even his duet Dancing in the Streets with Mick Jagger . BTW, one of the BEST concerts I ever saw was the Stones, who at the time I really didn't care for at all. They rocked the house for more than 2 1/2 hours and the place was standing and singing right along with them the WHOLE time. To boot, the crowd ranged from 9 year olds (or about that) to guys with walkers that could have passed for my great grandpa at that time. They earned my respect that day.

As for Robert Plant (post-Zep), I liked his music too, until I saw him in concert. The show was extremely short (under an hour total stage time) and what he did to the songs, just completely blew. I wouldn't go to another show of his if it was FREE.

#42622 - 08/29/10 06:43 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Nyte]
Autodidact Offline

As for Robert Plant (post-Zep), I liked his music too, until I saw him in concert. The show was extremely short (under an hour total stage time) and what he did to the songs, just completely blew. I wouldn't go to another show of his if it was FREE.

Yeah, two different things. Listen to the music - don't pay attention to concerts, scandals, VH1 exposes, etc. Just listen to the music.

I never cared what anybody did outside the song. Every celebrity has drug stories, sex stories, crime stories, Entertainment Tonight and The Enquirer stories ... Michael Jackson may or may not have been a child molester, I don't care - I don't know him, I'm not voting for him, I just like his music.

How does the saying go? Average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas, small people talk about people.

#42633 - 08/30/10 07:46 AM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Autodidact]
Nyte Offline

Yeah, two different things. Listen to the music - don't pay attention to concerts, scandals, VH1 exposes, etc. Just listen to the music.

I never cared what anybody did outside the song. Every celebrity has drug stories, sex stories, crime stories, Entertainment Tonight and The Enquirer stories ... Michael Jackson may or may not have been a child molester, I don't care - I don't know him, I'm not voting for him, I just like his music.

How does the saying go? Average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas, small people talk about people.

I know what you mean. I enjoy a good concert, but I was ruined at a young age. 13 and my first rock concert was Kiss, with Queensryche opening for them. I can't even count how many concerts I've been to since then. I've known a few bands and my favorite times where when they would practice in a garage or a basement. I think that's why I've always liked concerts. My favorite concert was Bad Company and Triumph. I've always been a huge fan of both bands and to see them in one show was "It" for me. Triumph had one hell of a light show. I don't care what the latest gossip is about the bands or singers. I just want to enjoy them playing and putting on a good show. If they're having a good time performing, all the better for me!

#42637 - 08/30/10 01:12 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Nyte]
Duende Offline
pledge

I love most of what Robert has done since Zep. Although I've been to his shows in the past, I decided to pass up on his recent tour because he is performing the songs he feels like doing , instead of what most fans want to hear. He doesn't give a shit( his pocketbook is not hurting), and the fans will still come into the show, to hear an acoustic version of "thank you" for the one millionth time.

I still harbor an irrational small sliver of hope that one day he will reach out to his former bandmates and gives us the tour we want (Robert is the only holdout preventing a Zep reunion), but I sure won't be holding my breath.
;\)

#42638 - 08/30/10 01:32 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Duende]
Jake999 Offline

"Never a horse that couldn't be rode and never a cowboy that couldn't be throwed."

That pretty much covers every man, woman, singer, writer, actor... you name it. People are fickle to be sure, and today's superstars often wind up seeming like the bizarre and grotesque Norma Desmond, mind gone and still performing, coming screen forward and moaning "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," in the 1950 production of HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD.

EVERYONE has their personal moment of "jumping the shark," when their career is on the downhill slopes. In this case, musicians, especially hugely popular ones, have this moment magnified like a particle in the view of the nuclear powered microscope of fandom. You MUST be better than your last effort... but it MUST be the same. You can't deviate and hurt the fans, because they loved you as that innovative and music-forward rock star that broke them out or their doldrums. But now... stay the same. You belong to US, and our $15.95 for your latest CD gives us godlike powers to condemn you to hell for singing one single note of which we don't approve.

Ricky Nelson sang it best in his song "Garden Party." "If memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck; but it's all right now. I learned my lesson well. You see, you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

We criticize and condemn those who take the formulaic route in writing and in music and in the graphic arts... where is that boldness? Where is the innovation? Don't you have the guts to do anything different? And then, as soon as they do, we damn them for all eternity on that one result we find disappointing. But at least THEY TRIED! THEY ACTUALLY TRIED! All we did was waste a few bucks on a disc of plastic.

Said it before and it bears repeating. Babe Ruth held not only the record for home runs, but the record for strike outs as well. He TRIED.

#42642 - 08/30/10 02:16 PM Re: what kind of music are you into ? [Re: Jake999]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
We criticize and condemn those who take the formulaic route in writing and in music and in the graphic arts... where is that boldness? Where is the innovation? Don't you have the guts to do anything different? And then, as soon as they do, we damn them for all eternity on that one result we find disappointing. But at least THEY TRIED! THEY ACTUALLY TRIED! All we did was waste a few bucks on a disc of plastic.

During times I was into the gigs and active in the amateur bands who asked me, I noticed there was a certain trend in which most of them tried to be innovative.
The problems that occured were:
a) They tried and used new sounds to make different numbers, but it didn't appeal to the crowds or the different music labels (even the small ones) to actually bring out a disc from these people.
b) they TRIED to be innovative but in the wrong direction. My former group from which I resigned is the perfect example. They try to become famous by being "innovative". But what they understand here is the use of already known sound effects and simply raising the volume on their speakers. Most of the time it is a very crappy sound (even scratching your nails on a chalkboard is more appealing). There was/is a certain understanding in most new bands that to be innovative you have to scream your lungs out of your body so you can't at least speak for a week, only to get that high-pitched sound which resembles a pig to be slaughtered.

The case of b) is one of the cases which occur most. Many new found groups try to combine different sorts of music (I guess the people here are familiar with terms such as "metalcore", "progressive grindcore",...). Sadly enough most of these attempts already exist and the new "sound" they want to create is already existant for ages. So far the innovative part.

I'm currently writing numbers which are a bit more on the odd side. Things such as a combination of Jamaican music with rock, GOA with a slight hint of drum and base,..

Anyway, the last band I would more or less call "innovative" would be Tenacious D. Credits to those who have tried, but sometimes things just sound bad no matter how hard you try.

Edited by Dimitri (08/30/10 02:20 PM)

Page 4 of 13 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.033 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.