Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#4017 - 02/09/08 07:48 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Noc]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
You must know a different group of vets than I do.

I am going to call bullshit.

Ask them this:

MOS, unit, FOB, what rotation with dates from - to.

#4018 - 02/09/08 08:52 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Noc]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Judging from your responses, you know nothing about the military besides what you are told. I too am a veteran. A disabled veteran. I collect a monthly payment from the US Government. I am a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foriegn Wars. I served during Desert Storm. If you printed this page and took to our local American Legion hall, 300 members would take you into a back room and beat you silly. To echo what Fist said, the military is an all volunteer force. If you go into it thinking you won't have to go to war, you are and idiot. While you may not personally support the reason behind the war, you took an oath to die for your country as a warrior. That is the number one reason of the military. It isn't to get an education, see different countries, or meet new people.

By the way, when is Bush going to release this "cache" of oil he is stockpiling? He only has 11 months left in office. Or is he secretly shipping it to China? Perhaps he is stockpiling here so the next president can release it? Not hardly, since that would make that president look pretty swell to the American public.

#4020 - 02/09/08 09:57 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: fakepropht]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Yes, really. I have a Dodge Magnum with Hemi that takes 89 octane and up. If only this were a war for oil. Now that is cause I can get behind! Fuck ideology, I want my cheap gas.

#4033 - 02/10/08 11:13 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Fist]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
Your right I'm going off what a disabled Vet who lost both legs in the IRAQ war and who has been in and out the VA hospital for over a year and has been fighting to get benefits for a YR. Who keeps getting the run around about his benefits. So your correct I am going off what people who have been injured in the war not just the ones who served in it.

My father served in the Korean war and was injured in that war after serving 2 years on the front line and having the purple heart for bravery. And he served this country and in return the Government gave him a whopping $800 dollars a month and when he died they sent us a check for $225 and a tombstone.... WhooHooo..

#4035 - 02/10/08 11:35 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Noc]
Noc Offline
pledge

Loc: Delaware
Plus I'm man enough to admit that I am going off of what friends who served told me, I don't know about the Military as well as both of you because I never served as you both have. If I got false information and your saying I'm wrong then I'm not going to get pissed off about it.

Whats going on with the war is out of mine and everyone else's control anyway. The oil and gas prices are out of my control, the huge deficit is way out of my control so I figure why waste my energy ranting about the issues anyway when no matter what I say it will never change the fact....

#4047 - 02/10/08 04:46 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Noc]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
Firstly, i am glad I am not being shot at
My drop is off since this disaster began.
we lost it in the boardrooms
armed conflict is an afterthought
and not a particularly good idea
big business likes Dubai
no taxes, free education and health care
The "good old days"
were never really that good, anyway.

My honest opinion?
If I was an arms dealer, I'd be ecstatic.
body armour is a big ticket item

#4218 - 02/13/08 11:49 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: markus]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
War is necessary.

Unfortunately at the moment we're caught between a rock and a hard place. The situation overseas (especially Helmand, Mosul and Fallujah) has been increasing with hostility for quite some time now. My last vacation landed me in the thick of it, but things are slowly improving through the use of communication. Fatalities are down, violence levels have dropped dramatically, but the hostility is still there - and is increasing daily especially since the Israeli Strike Force Attacks on Gaza, and the recent assassination of Bhutto, as well as the recent killing of 2 senior Hezbollah Commanders.

The war isn't pointless; its intention was not an invasion of Iraq - it's a security and installation operation. Same with OP Catalyst and OP Slipper; both are there as part of the Reconstruction Forces (this is the ADF, by the way) however the United States Marine Corps is more in the 'glass-house' effect of the recent hostility increase. The objective is to unite the Government, train the Iraqi Army, eliminate and/or capture any and all potential threats that pose a national security threat to the new installation of the Iraqi Government and restore Law and Order.

#4461 - 02/22/08 03:24 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: markus]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
 Quote:
What these vets need are acceptance and admiration.

I don't have a real opinion on this war. War is constant and is part of what it is to be human on some level or another. We are at war with ourselves, with each other and of course, fundamentalist Islam.. Itís all the same.

What I do have an opinion about is the way that the soldiers are almost totally ignored by our citizens. Aside from immediate family no one really gives a shit about the soldiers or their plight.

Did anyone get the Red Friday thing? Some guy in an airport shared a moving experience with some other travelers and decided to try to get everyone into red Fridays, i.e. wear red to support the troops.

Lasted for about a week...

It just seems like no one gives a shit about these guys and gals in green. What Fist said is true that once in the shit all you are really fighting for is the guy next to you. However in the beginning they make the decision (whether youthfully or not) to go out and fight and or die for this countries agenda but soon find that they are forgotten faster then some 90's rap song. Why is that?

Maybe because the soldiers reality is serious and painful to actually think about. Certainly more painful then putting your energy into forming an opinion about Brittany spears' decline. It is less painful to get enthralled by the new season of Grey's anatomy then it is to empathize with a soldier.

I think it is kind of sad that thousands of Americans know the names and stats of their favorite ball player(s) but have no clue the names or sacrifices of the enlisted men and women. After going through all of that it's like they almost don't exist in this society, even after all of that sacrifice.

Are sports figures the new warrior to be held above our shoulders and praised? That very well may be.

So to tie all of this together my thoughts on the war are that it is extremely interesting that these soldiers get no more admiration then a carpenter might, or a lawyer. The desensitized American public can barely muster then interest in these men and women to look up from their feet as they trod off to work.
Those unhappy with the current war take their poor understanding of it out on the soldier because they lack the balls or ability to voice their opinions to those who are truly directing this thing. Leaving only the soldier's family members to adore them for their efforts.

Like those adherents to "Satanism" I think America is a little confused about "who" it is and for that we all suffer. My feelings about the war are feelings of sadness that in the end the American soldier is just another channel to be flipped through on the way to less painful programming.

Click.

#4465 - 02/22/08 05:13 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: delusion]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Don't cry for me Argentina...

The true warrior live for war - until there is only peace and death.

The empire is sustained by the flow of 'the spice' and the spice must flow.

Civilization is a system based on human specialization. Each of us does a specific job for another so that they can be free to do a specific job for us. For all of anyone's anti-war nonsense, I have yet to find the dirty-hippy-protester who is truly willing to disconnect from modern life and live with the Amish. Rather, they are quite happy to enjoy the fruits of this horrible society and simply complain about it's wickedness. All the while, they claim a halo for their dishonesty.

Clausewitz quite accurately points out that war is simply politics by other means. Others would say that war is the result of failed politics. Regardless, it is the politician that causes war. In our society politicians are elected by the people, ergo, it is the people themselves who are responsible for war. The fact of the matter is that people want to know no more about war, and the politics that lead us there, than they want to know about the inner workings of a slaughter house as they down their second bacon double cheeseburger.

It's your war kids! You bought it. We are just the guys working on the factory floor of the slaughter house.

#4548 - 02/26/08 05:53 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Fist]
Crocell Offline
stranger

Loc: Mid-West
2 things.

Number 1: We're (The United States) in the Middle East from now on, or at least the next several generations. Our children's children and their grandchildren will be over there.

Let's make no mistake about that.

Number 2: The United States did a good thing over all by ridding the world of Saddam Hussein. Sure, some say The US put him in power, well...whatever. The fact of the matter is, is that when his neck went SNAP, that was a good thing.

#4549 - 02/26/08 06:01 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Crocell]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
 Originally Posted By: Crocell
2 things.

Number 1: We're (The United States) in the Middle East from now on, or at least the next several generations. Our children's children and their grandchildren will be over there.

Let's make no mistake about that.

Number 2: The United States did a good thing over all by ridding the world of Saddam Hussein. Sure, some say The US put him in power, well...whatever. The fact of the matter is, is that when his neck went SNAP, that was a good thing.

I'd like to know how the execution of Saddam Hussein was a good thing - all it did was increase the violence. There'll be another to take his place in the near future.

#4555 - 02/26/08 01:10 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Fist]
Jeseth Offline
pledge

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Fist
Regardless, it is the politician that causes war. In our society politicians are elected by the people, ergo, it is the people themselves who are responsible for war.

We could argue all day as to the legitimacy of modern elections in the United States though, don't you think?

My opinion on the war, is that it's pointless. "Live and let die." So lets let the Middle East die. I don't want a single damn cent of my tax money spent on anything there, unless it's dirty, smutty magazines and copies of The Satanic Bible that we can rain down from the sky to help corrupt the minds of their children. They were doing a damn fine job of killing each other before the United States stepped in. They'll continue to do a fine job of it when the United States steps out.

#4558 - 02/26/08 02:24 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Jeseth]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
My opinion on the war in Iraq? Absolutely pointless. Let the fuckers sort themselves out. They've become so used to living under a dictatorship that they don't know any different. They should have left well alone in the first place, but as we all know, Bush wanted his precious oil.

Since Saddam's been taken out though, they won't be able to send any nukes at us all, even if they had them in the first place.

#4573 - 02/27/08 07:13 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Noc]
Rossums Offline
stranger

Loc: Glasgow
Im still not quite shure what the point of it is but even if its rediculas i think more time should have been spent on a stratagy.
The one thing i have strong views on are the opium farmers in iraq.There civilians and there only source of income are those feilds.Destroying them will make the farmers go to the taliban for support.Buying the crops from the farmers and using it for medical poropses,perhaps methadone treatments ect,will loosen the grip of the taliban in those areas and they will lose the support of the civilians making it much easier for American and British forces to keep control of the towns and rural areas.

#4581 - 02/27/08 01:02 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Rossums]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
That is an interesting perspective that i had not thought of. what I like about that thought process is that its roots are based on a semi positive way to lessen the pull toward picking up a gun. Rather then the very generic point of view "Kill them all!"

I wonder what the military's point of view is on all of the heroin over there?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.