Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#4582 - 02/27/08 01:16 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: delusion]
Rossums Offline
stranger

Loc: Glasgow
i think the military's point of view will be lagging to say the least as there train of thought will have to smash through a vail of opiates moahaha.I likes that joke i made just then
#4586 - 02/27/08 02:25 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Rossums]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
 Originally Posted By: Rossums
Im still not quite shure what the point of it is but even if its rediculas i think more time should have been spent on a stratagy.
The one thing i have strong views on are the opium farmers in iraq.There civilians and there only source of income are those feilds.Destroying them will make the farmers go to the taliban for support.Buying the crops from the farmers and using it for medical poropses,perhaps methadone treatments ect,will loosen the grip of the taliban in those areas and they will lose the support of the civilians making it much easier for American and British forces to keep control of the towns and rural areas.

You are a fucking genius. Why the hell did I not think of the whole strategy element of war?

And then there is the whole opium issue you've pointed out. Absolutely amazing you are.

#4607 - 02/28/08 06:19 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: DistroyA]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Well, we can see how well opium is doing over in Afghanistan, where, despite the government's best efforts to exterminate this kind of farming, it still remains the world's largest opium exporter in the world. Afghanistan is still war torn, still has the Taliban, still poor, and is still generally fucked. Starting up poppy fields in Iraq isn't going to change anything there, and will just create drugged-up insurgents who are already high on Allah. They need to grow WEED, not poppies

#4612 - 02/28/08 12:05 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Nemesis]
Rossums Offline
stranger

i got all mixed up >_< i wasnt thinking of iraq and afghanistan as two different wars when i though of that idea.Silly me \:\( Yes stop burning Afghanistan crops yes that will do
#4615 - 02/28/08 12:47 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Rossums]
Jeseth Offline
pledge

Loc: California
They need to stop burning crops, and start burning people.

No, I'm joking... but seriously, your idea seems sound, in regard to Afghanistan. I'm surprised that it hasn't been considered before. The only thing that I wonder is, would it really negate some of the Taliban's influence? I was under the impression that they mostly used religion to keep their territories in line, rather than economics.

#4619 - 02/28/08 01:28 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Jeseth]
Rossums Offline
stranger

I saw a documentry on the box of moving images that was about this lil british man that went to afghanistan to eat and cook.He went to all the little vilages and stuff,the villages all have a leader and that decides what they should do.the british guy went with his camera crew to eat a meal with the leader of this village and some other fellows from there neighborhood.The it came up in conversation that the leader used to be a general in the taliban then the lil british dude got all frightend.the leader then explained it was in there best intrests to be involved with the taliban at that time but now that americans have moved in on this area its in our best intrests to welcome them.Basicaly they do whats best for there village and if our goverments offerd to buy there crops i think that the leader would decide not to oppose our troops moving in when they need to because the money from these crops goes to these villages.
Although im shure there will be some of the village leaders that are just crackpots so the buying crops lark wont work in every case

#4701 - 03/02/08 11:03 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Rossums]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Hope it's not too late for my 2 cents. Here it goes:

Vice President Dick Cheney had a major interest in the company Halliburton (To what degree the interest lies is unknown.). Kellogg, Brown, and Root (A subsidiary of Halliburton) is responsible for providing various services to the military deployed overseas.

When Hussein was playing around with the UN inspectors in late 2002, Bush took it personal because he thought about the vendetta between Saddam and senior Bush and how Hussein mocked him in the past. Cheney puts a bug in Dubya's ear, saying "Hey, why not? Let's go after Saddam, KBR/Halliburton will "somehow" beat all these other contractors' bids (Wink, wink) to service the military and everyone (You and me) is happy. What do you think?" So Bush holds a brainstorm session and comes up with the idea that Saddam and the Al-Quaida are in cahoots - which we all know now doesn't really hold water because the Sunnis' (Saddam's religion) and the Al-Quaida's philosophies really don't mix. Hence, the war in Iraq - which was massed together with the war in Afghanistan and called "Operation Enduring Freedom" and then "Gulf War II" and then finally "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Oh and of course Iraq has WMD's. Funny how North Korea boasted that they had WMD's and challenged the US to come and do something about it.

Not that all it bothered me too much when I was there. I volunteered for military service years ago and this day had to come eventually. I didn't go blasting Iraqis in the name of God and country. I did it for self-preservation and to look out for my buddies as they would for me.

It was surreal. I started in Kuwait, where you see the soldiers and border police drinking tea with their boots off and showing off the latest cell phone technology to the Allied troops. Then you cross the border ("Crossing the berm" or "going north") and it's a different world. Bunch of barefooted kids begging you to throw them food and the hardened looks on the faces of the adults. Iraqis and Kuwaitis are from the same ancestry and look alike but the hardened looks is how you can tell one from the other. In Iraq, they smile and wave but they shoot at your convoy at night. A few of them hated Saddam, but were pissed off that the jobs were gone and the electricity was off when the Allied invasion began which added even more to the number taking potshots at us.

Iraq is not your grandfather's battlefield. The enemies were anywhere and everywhere. Even people that are the United States' allies on paper were shooting at us. I can accept that war is part of human existence, but they really should have thought of this from a logistical standpoint more than just sugarcoating it to make it more acceptable to the American people.

Unfortunately, this war is only benefitting a few Americans at most while there's nothing in it for everybody else. So, I pretty much feel dumb for helping to line someone else's pockets up. Like Fist said, it would've at least been nice to feel the difference at the pump. That in itself would've made it worth it.

Edited by Sinistar (03/02/08 11:06 AM)
Edit Reason: To make pretty

#4774 - 03/05/08 12:15 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: markus]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Yes, I really have to second Fist here. "Cry havoc and blablabla". I have this funny feeling that if the military was given the power to decide the course of the war and how it would be fought some of the quagmires we're stuck in would have been avoided, or could be solved. Violence on a biblical scale is right...the Axis in WWII didn't surrender because we took account of their cultural differences and stopped to ask ourselves why they might be so miserable and frustrated, and whether it was "our fault" they were on a rampage.

Well the Germans can't really help themselves...they just have a distinct culture that we need to take account of and respect. Let's have a dialogue of civilizations rather than a clash. Besides, we should really only be blaming ourselves for their violent excess anyways...Paris Peace Conference anyone?

Silly? Outlandish?

Yet this is the standard argument meant to hold back Western Civilization from turning the world's biggest sandboxes into the world's biggest blast craters...

If the rest of NATO could pull its ungrateful weight, that would be welcome too.

#5916 - 03/19/08 10:30 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Noc]
DeathIsWicked Offline
stranger

Loc: Peyton, Colorado
Well, I just want it to end soon because I'm going into the United States Air Force and I really don't wanna go over there. Seeing the soldiers coming home after tours in Iraq makes me very happy.

#5925 - 03/19/08 02:25 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: DeathIsWicked]
Sinistar Offline

Truthfully, the Air Force is better than the other military branches when it comes to living conditions. Even in the most underdeveloped "Green Zones" of Iraq, the Air Force always gets their computers, television, washing machines, and air conditioning.

PM me if you've got any questions about Iraq or the military in general there, flyboy.

#5936 - 03/19/08 05:36 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Sinistar]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Strangely, the military does not exist as jobs program. From time to time you may actually have to do something dangerous. We are a nation at war. If you don't want to go to war, I would recommend a job at McDonalds. I am pretty sure they are hiring.

#5985 - 03/20/08 07:47 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Fist]
Sinistar Offline

I think you meant to refer to the young man, Fist. I've paid my dues just as you did fellow veteran. Today is the 5 year anniversary that my unit first went "wheels up" straight to Iraq.

Death is Wicked - With the exception of the Marine Corps, you could pretty much get any job you want as long as you receive the required GT score (I can't recall right now what GT stands for, but it's almost the equivalent of an IQ test).

#6016 - 03/20/08 03:09 PM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Sinistar]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
When you use Quick Reply at the bottom of the page it automatically refers to the next post. Sorry about the confusion.

#6301 - 03/24/08 10:44 AM Re: whats your opinion on the war? [Re: Fist]
Sinistar Offline

No problem, Fist.

Also, besides the Halliburton/KBR conspiracy in Iraq and Afghanistan, companies that make the various wonderful vaccinations stand to make ridiculous amounts of money as well.

To me, the conspiracy is not the Illuminati, the Masons, etc. It's the pharmaceutical companies in bed with our fearless leaders.

Don't even get me started on the USDA, the cattle ranchers and the beef recall.

I apologize for going on a bit, but the topics I discussed just seem to flow into one another.

Edited by Sinistar (03/24/08 10:48 AM)

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.