Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#38299 - 05/05/10 12:28 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: ta2zz]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
You argued his points much better than I. It shows that both ceruleansteel and I could have done way more research for both sides of our debate.

#38322 - 05/05/10 02:23 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Severed Soul]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Just adding my few cents in.
While I respect CS views I have to wonder why she has bitten on the "mormons hell" matter.
I, for one, do not give a flying fuck about it. What does it matter in the end? Does it really help to have the knowledge hell does exist in their religion when you can simply say "fuck off" right before slamming the door in their faces, or even better: ignoring them altogether.

One more thing:
Severed soul: stop acting like a whiney bitch and get over it. If you had done the research (which you clearly didn't do thoroughly) and didn't manage to convince the other person then fuck it.

Such a waste of energy and time...

Edited by Dimitri (05/05/10 02:26 PM)

#38324 - 05/05/10 03:48 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Dimitri]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Severed Soul
Like I have said before I am here to learn.

As most of us are living, learning, simply making the best of it every day. We can only hope that anything we click on and read here has something in it that makes us think. Why else push and bother to communicate?

You argued his points much better than I. It shows that both ceruleansteel and I could have done way more research for both sides of our debate.

Whose points have I argued? Yes you are correct that it does show you could have researched your point better but you did mention it at least…

It also shows that sometimes some of us forget that lessons come in many forms from many different walks of life. Some of us forget that all teachers are not correct and anyone teaching anything should be questioned harder than someone simply stating an opinion.

Stick around there is much to learn if you can comprehend it.

Originally Posted By: Nyte
I don't and won't let them in to waste my time.
Personal acquaintances, close friends, now that's a different story. They have however earned that time from me. Huge difference.

I agree as I said in my first reply to this thread. Most unannounced visitors only see the outside of my front door. I cannot see the gain from opening my door to every person who knocks on it. The last time I did it was a girl selling magazines I wasn’t feeling chatty and her little jokes of kidnapping me to the Bahamas were not taken as funny. I did refrain from asking her who knew she was here at my door lol. Other than that I was short and straight telling her I wasn’t interested in buying books or magazines from her or the trip she was trying to win. Her parting words were “you should be nicer to people who come to your door” since I wasn’t mean in any way I told her have a nice day. She is entitled to her opinion and her opinion of me affects me in absolutely no manner. Silly me its my own fault opening the door for a unknown cute young girl when I wasn’t feeling chatty.

Originally Posted By: Dimitri

Then why participate? Why hit reply?

Everyone has a different way of fueling the ego and validating to him/herself that they are more important and better than others. The Satanist is no different.

To some it is simply exclaiming what a waste of time to others its how much more they know and to others still its simply spreading their interpretation of their religion door to door. Do you see where I stand on this, its clear as day?

Enjoy your stay

~T~

Wow did someone say something about converting people to Satanism? I won’t go near that with a 20-foot pole…

#38328 - 05/05/10 04:58 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: ta2zz]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
I really don't get a lot of people coming to my door. Last time some Hispanic guy with a pamphlet came to the door. I answered, and he starts of with, "Look at this pamphlet here. Does it matter which religion you choose?" I looked at him, said "No" and shut the door.

Time before that I didn't answer the door, I just stood back in plain sight holding a toy pellet rifle. Wasn't like it was a real gun or anything, but it scared them off pretty quick. Didn't even bother starting their little speech.

Oh, and time before that I just told them "I'm not in the market for a new religion right now. Please come back after I've had my lobotomy." They just looked at me strange and left.

That's all I can remember for now.

#38330 - 05/05/10 05:10 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Doomsage680]
Noctuary Offline
pledge

Trying to stretch out my answer here...
I don't have to deal with that problem. We have a sign that says 'No Solicitors'. It's really that easy.

I have, however been approached at the bus stop and coming out of the market at times. I take the pamphlet and say thank you. Then I read it and then throw it away. If I don't put up my armor and wall I don't get people coming at me with their swords and guns.

#38343 - 05/06/10 07:29 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Noctuary]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I also forgot to mention my other rather odd experience with the JW's.

I was 18 and I'd recently moved back to Florida, and was riding my bike to work, which was about 2 1/2 miles away. I'd woken up one morning to find that someone had stolen my bike out of my driveway, so I had to hoof it. I got about halfway there and I said, "Fuck it, I'll take the bus the rest of the way." So as I'm sitting there waiting, a couple gets out of their car behind the bus bench and comes up to me. I'm more than a little freaked out, because who hasn't heard stories of seemingly nice-looking couples who end up kidnapping and torturing people? Warily I watch them approach, they say "Hi", and I say, "Good morning". Then they start asking me where I'm going. "To work," I say, and they tell me that they're just trying to spread the good word that they'd be more than happy to give me a ride since it was just another mile down the road. They had a bunch of literature to give me, and my feet were tired, so I said that yes, I sure would appreciate a ride. When they dropped me off at my workplace, they gave me some literature and hoped that I'd have a nice day. I thanked them and went on.

I think that I was more thankful that they kept their word and I hadn't ended up in their trunk with duct tape over my mouth.

#38347 - 05/06/10 09:49 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Nemesis]
Trick Offline
lurker

Loc: Cross, SC
I dont listen to any body like that if someone tries to say something like that i ignore them and go on about my day. If someone shows up to my house i just slam the door in there face and go on about my day.
#38349 - 05/06/10 10:15 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Trick]
Nemesis Offline

They gave me a ride to work. For that, I could stand to listen to their spiel for a couple of minutes. It's not like they harassed me about it. That's called "not being a complete asshole".

#38350 - 05/06/10 01:38 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: ta2zz]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

= short intermezzo =
 Quote:

Everyone has a different way of fueling the ego and validating to him/herself that they are more important and better than others. The Satanist is no different.

Simply because I can.
And I like to smash over-inflated egoes.

#38355 - 05/06/10 11:37 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: ta2zz]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Like I have said before I am here to learn.

As most of us are living, learning, simply making the best of it every day. We can only hope that anything we click on and read here has something in it that makes us think. Why else push and bother to communicate?

Whose points have I argued? Yes you are correct that it does show you could have researched your point better but you did mention it at least…

It also shows that sometimes some of us forget that lessons come in many forms from many different walks of life. Some of us forget that all teachers are not correct and anyone teaching anything should be questioned harder than someone simply stating an opinion.

Stick around there is much to learn if you can comprehend it.

Yep! My theory is to learn about what I need to for me and another religion just doesn't "fit the bill" right now. If I get bits and pieces here and there, they may come in handy one day but to actually go and study....no time for that right now. Learned enough over those previous 30 years to know what I don't need to be involved with enough to dedicate that much time to again. Posted on enough other religious boards to know that, just about the time you think you've got another religion figured out, someone comes along and something new literally floats to the surface. Gotta take care of the here and now for me and mine and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted By: Nyte
I don't and won't let them in to waste my time.
Personal acquaintances, close friends, now that's a different story. They have however earned that time from me. Huge difference.

I agree as I said in my first reply to this thread. Most unannounced visitors only see the outside of my front door. I cannot see the gain from opening my door to every person who knocks on it. The last time I did it was a girl selling magazines I wasn’t feeling chatty and her little jokes of kidnapping me to the Bahamas were not taken as funny. I did refrain from asking her who knew she was here at my door lol. Other than that I was short and straight telling her I wasn’t interested in buying books or magazines from her or the trip she was trying to win. Her parting words were “you should be nicer to people who come to your door” since I wasn’t mean in any way I told her have a nice day. She is entitled to her opinion and her opinion of me affects me in absolutely no manner. Silly me its my own fault opening the door for a unknown cute young girl when I wasn’t feeling chatty.

She was feeling brave to even hint about kidnapping someone who wasn't really in the mood to be entertained. It amazes me what people will joke about sometimes. Though I should know better with my current line of work and even from when I bartended. The things I've heard through the years, nothing should faze me anymore.

She commented that you should be nicer to people that knock on YOUR door. They just don't get that they are on someone else's property (uninvited) and no one owes them anything, including being nice to them. It's a good thing it wasn't me at my door having to listen to her. "Have a nice day." probably wouldn't have even been a thought for her, but that's just me. lol

Originally Posted By: Dimitri

To some it is simply exclaiming what a waste of time to others its how much more they know and to others still its simply spreading their interpretation of their religion door to door. Do you see where I stand on this, its clear as day?

Enjoy your stay

~T~

Wow did someone say something about converting people to Satanism? I won’t go near that with a 20-foot pole…

I don't think anyone really suggested it, but ya never know. I might have to go back and re-read just to see where you might have picked that up from.

#38356 - 05/06/10 11:52 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Nyte]
Nyte Offline

Quick story....
I was having a garage sale one day when a gentleman stopped by on his bike. He took his time and walked around looking at everything. He came towards me and commented about how orderly everything was and how nice everything was visibly priced. I thanked him and then he said, "I don't see anything I need but this might be something you could use." as he reached into his back pocket and produced some tracks. I stood there and looked down at them and smiled a really wicked grin. I looked him in the eye and told him, "No thanks. Been there, done that, even got the t-shirt.", the smile never fading even a little. He looked a little perplexed and then pocketed his tracks, nodded, bid me a good day and went on his way on his bike. I was a bit surprised that he would venture to a garage sale and then actually try to pass out his tracks. But I guess "passing on the Great Word" holds no boundaries for some.

#38358 - 05/07/10 01:10 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Nyte]
Nyte Offline

Ok ta2zz...I found it (the converting thingy). You're right and if I can help it, I'm going to NOT touch that one either other than to say this....... I don't think I've ever thought of realizing what I was all along as being converted, but perhaps that's just me?

#38362 - 05/07/10 06:52 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Nyte]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I didn't think we were the Borg whereby we had to convert anyone. If anything, I would wish less idiots were running around claiming the title of Satanist.

Two old wise lines/adages come to mind....

You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.

You can't teach a pig to dance, all that happens is the pig get annoyed, and you get covered in shit.

It's simple, don't answer the door, or just say no.
There is no need to be bothered by anyone in your own home unless you are a masochist.

Morgan

#38363 - 05/07/10 07:25 AM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: Nyte]
Nemesis Offline

Were the tracts he was passing out the Jack Chick comics? I try to collect those things, they are hysterical!

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1056/1056_01.asp

#38367 - 05/07/10 03:34 PM Re: What do you do when a missionary comes over? [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
As much as I would love to come over all “badass”, I’m afraid that, deep down, I’m a very polite person.

I’ve had a few of these people to my door, and they are always greeted with the same respect and decorum that I would give to any other being that rings my buzzer (not a double entendre I assure you), unless of course there is a rugby match on lol.

If they are impolite and/or try to force anything upon me, then I tell them to fuck off.

Edited by Room 101 (05/07/10 03:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Fat hands

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.