Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#38233 - 05/03/10 03:43 PM Advice on joining The Church Of Satan
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
I would like to start out by saying that this post is more aimed towards people who affiliate with The Church of Satan rather than The First Satanic Church. I have absolutely no problem with The First Satanic Church, its just The Church of Satan I feel suits more of what I'm interested in doing. I still welcome responses and advice from everyone.

Alright, well what I am looking for advice on is becoming a registered/active member. I know its not hard you send your money etc... What my problem is, I am most likely going to be living at home for a couple years while I finish college. By receiving letters from The Church of Satan I feel my mother may have a heart attack. I wouldn't say my mother is a devout Christian (she parties more than a lot of my college friends) but she firmly believes in God, Heaven, and so on. When she found out that i don't believe in the Christian definition of God she broke down. So I don't think she would understand what this is all about and I don't want to put her through the initial shock.

So any advice on ways I could still register and not have her know about it?

#38235 - 05/03/10 03:46 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Severed Soul]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Get a P.O. box.

Sorry, mods, but there is nothing I can do to make this more than a couple of lines.

#38237 - 05/03/10 04:02 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: ceruleansteel]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

I will definitely look into that, I had no idea what a PO Box was until you said that but I've looked it up and am going to contact my nearest Post Office.

#38238 - 05/03/10 04:31 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Severed Soul]
Veles Offline
lurker

Loc: US
Any response you would get from them via regular post wouldn't have anything especially *Satanic* written on it.

The envelope is marked "HKProductions." However, if you join via check the endorsement on the back of the check will say "Church of Satan."

#38239 - 05/03/10 04:38 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Veles]
Jake999 Offline

The Church has always been pretty conservative about their mailings to members, with the envelopes giving little away to the casual viewer...

EXCEPT during the period when we put out The Cloven Hoof as a "booklet" type mailing. It was about the size of a piece of paper folded in half, with a black or red outter covering with a big-ass cloven hoof emblazoned on the back side and the return address of Church of Satan on the front. It was probably my favorite incarnation of The Hoof, but I'm sure it raised more than a few eyebrows in transit, and I know that more than one seal was broken on the edges as it was read someplace between point A and point B.

#38241 - 05/03/10 04:45 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Jake999]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

does this pertain to only when someone receives their membership card and papers to fill out, or everything. I plan on becoming a very involved member, that being said I would assume I will receive a bit of mail from them throughout time. Satanism has changed my life for the better and I want to give back as much as I can by being a very active member.

#38244 - 05/03/10 04:54 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Severed Soul]
Jake999 Offline

Not sure what they do these days to be honest with you.

My personal advice to you, having been a Satanist for more years than you (and possibly even your mother) have been alive is not to rush into joining The Church of Satan or any other organization. When one first reads The Satanic Bible, there tends to be an "afterglow effect" where they think they've found the touchstone for their life that they've always looked for. They think that joining the Church of Satan will make their lives complete and they'll soon be in the midst of their black-robed brothers.

That probably isn't going to happen, at least for a while. You need to do a lot more personal introspection and self evaluation. You also need to know more about The Church of Satan's bedrock documents, being The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Rituals and The Compleat Witch... reading is not knowing. See how these documents can provide you with skills to enhance your life. THEN consider what you can expect to get out of membership... and what the Church can gain from having YOU as a member.

Do the leg work. Take your time.

#38246 - 05/03/10 05:03 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Severed Soul]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
They are right, go get a Post office box. It will save you headaches down the road.

You might also want to look into reading the threads I listed at the bottom, so you have more information about where you send your money.

Enjoy your journey,
Morgan

http://www.the600club.com/topic18155-1.html

http://www.the600club.com/topic37165-1.html

http://www.the600club.com/topic25832-1.html

http://www.the600club.com/topic22031-1.html

#38247 - 05/03/10 05:24 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Jake999]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

I very much appreciate your insight. The thing is with me is, I had my "afterglow effect" about 3 or 4 years ago when I first read The Satanic Bible. Since then I have read it countless times realizing and learning more each time, I read The Satanic Rituals quite some time ago so recently I began re-reading it. As soon as I have some more money I do plan on buying as much of Anton's writings as I can.

Also I understand that at this point in time of my life The Church probably won't gain as much from me as I would like to give them. I feel that by joining in the near future it will get my foot in the door so that when I do have more to offer it will be easier.

#38248 - 05/03/10 05:41 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Morgan]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

Your threads have opened my eyes a little bit more. I guess what it comes down to is, I should do some more research on The First Satanic Church and of the texts of Anton.

#38256 - 05/03/10 08:54 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Severed Soul]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Another useful tip. Go to the CoS T/P section and download the active membership questionaire.

There are a ton of questions The Church asks you to answer in this questionaire.

The CoS has been screening applicants for a long time and their questionaire has developed over time.

Can you answer these questions? Why are they being asked in the first place? What picture will The Church have of you from the answers you provide to these questions? What picture do you want them to gain?

Put the philosophy into practice in your life and study the philosophy as well.

#38257 - 05/03/10 09:09 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: ]
Severed Soul Offline
stranger

Not to long ago I briefly looked over that but when you posted this it got me to review it more extensively. I do feel I can answer all 4 of the questions you provided that I should ask myself in a manor that I believe whoever reads the application would think highly of. All of this has led me to another conclusion that I will post in a separate thread for those of you who are interested.

#38259 - 05/03/10 10:00 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: ]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1

The CoS has been screening applicants for a long time and their questionaire has developed over time.

With the exception of the one question on the first page about special interest groups (they didn't exist, as most people had no access to computers in the early 70s) the questionnaire is pretty much as I remember it, question for question. I saw many, many of them beginning with my own, up through the numerous applications I processed as an Administrator.

#38261 - 05/03/10 10:52 PM Re: Advice on joining The Church Of Satan [Re: Jake999]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Thanks for that info on the CoS questionaire Jake.

I assumed that the questions would have changed over time, but actually quite like that they haven't.

It is the maintaining of a tradition in a sense to keep the questions the same, or else an attitude of if it aint broke than don't fix it.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.